PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista & Folder Preview Problems!

ALMOSTsaved
12-05-2007, 10:57 PM
I have a Sony VAIO computer with Windows Vista Premium Edition. Recently I purchased a Western Digital WDG1U5000 My Book Essential Edition 500 GB Hard Drive for which I intend to store my music collection.

As it stands, I have no problem storing the music, but when it comes to customizing folders with a jpeg image, the sytem will either not allow me to customize at all or if it does, the picture previews change constantly...often pics from other folders as well other drives altogether become the preview for another folder.

Please keep in mind that customizing folders on the "C" drive is not a problem. It's strictly the external. Also, I might add, I tried the same external drive on my girlfriend's computer which still has XP and all the folders look as they should.

Can someone PLEASE shed some light on what is going on here? Is this one of those many Vista bugs I've read about?

Dan
12-06-2007, 02:24 AM
Sorry,Vista Sucks.

ALMOSTsaved
12-06-2007, 06:46 AM
Yeah without question. I'm debating whether to downgrade to fucking XP but I don't want to lose all the shit I've saved in the process.

FORD
12-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Why not just back up your data to the external drive, then wipe the laptop and install XP.

I've really tried to work with Vista. Set it up as a dual boot, shut down all the unnecessary bullshit. Doesn't matter. It's still a slow, buggy piece of shit.

ALMOSTsaved
12-06-2007, 01:52 PM
***Update**** I guess it's not Vista. Brought the external drive up here to work to try it out on a friend's new laptop and all the folders looked as they should. So, essentially it's my computer...or perhaps MY version of Vista. The friend said I should perform a "System Recovery." Well that sucks. Just typical bullshit.

FORD
12-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Have you tried reinstalling the USB drivers (or Firewire, whichever it is)?

ALMOSTsaved
12-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Man, I'm somewhat illiterate in a lot of the technical issues. Can you help me out with that? Anything easier than the task I'm about to attempt on Saturday would be great.

m_dixon1984
12-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Why care? Your problem seems so incredibly minor that to do anything other than live with it seems like a complete waste of time.

Anything you try in an attempt to fix this non-critical problem could cause more serious, crtical ones. This includes the 2 options you've already been given: System Restore and Driver Updates (sorry, FORD). Both aren't bad ideas for serious problems but for something simply aesthetic you're just asking for bigger problems if you try to fix it.

Just my professional opinion but then I support business machines not personal ones.

M

ALMOSTsaved
12-06-2007, 03:32 PM
I totally understand what you're saying and I'm NOT all for doing the system recovery thing. This is actually the first issue I've had with Vista. The problem is my OCD kicks in and I have this desire for things to "look" like I want them to look. It's kind of a hard thing to shake. That being said, yes it is a minor issue. Minor enough to NOT be happening.

Eddie's Booze
12-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Why not just back up your data to the external drive, then wipe the laptop and install XP.

I've really tried to work with Vista. Set it up as a dual boot, shut down all the unnecessary bullshit. Doesn't matter. It's still a slow, buggy piece of shit.

Vista is horrible. I agree 100% with what you posted. Honestly Vista is only worth using if you want to do gaming in Direct x10.

If it wasn't for gaming and burning DVD's/VCD's, I'd be using Ubuntu(linux) now.

:)

Just stick with XP if you really have to use Windows.

:(

Nitro Express
12-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Microsoft should just focus on being a gaming company. Their operating systems suck donkey balls.

Steve Balmer is going to stop supporting XP here soon so that will just run more Microsoft customers off.

Google is stealing all of Microsoft's programmers anyways and Apple sales are through the roof. Microsoft no longer enjoys the monopoly they once had.

Nitro Express
12-10-2007, 05:53 PM
If you are running a lot of outboard gear, you can't beat a Mac. :D

smaz
12-10-2007, 07:34 PM
I hated vista, installed it as a dual boot & am tempted to get rid of my XP installs. Boots up instantly, folder navigations easier... I haven't had any problems yet :S

ALMOSTsaved
12-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Okay one final question regarding XP. How long will it be a viable program? I don't want to buy a new XP after Christmas and have it be obsolete in six months.

ALMOSTsaved
12-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Okay one final question regarding XP. How long will it be a viable program? I don't want to buy a new XP after Christmas and have it be obsolete in six months.

Edited because my final question was a double fucking post.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
12-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved

Edited because my final question was a double fucking post.

You don't BUY XP.

You download it off of the net.
It would be dumb to pay for that old of an OS.

ALMOSTsaved
12-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Are you referring to downloading an official copy of XP or a piece of shit hack version that will do nothing but eventually wreck my new computer?

smaz
12-20-2007, 11:34 AM
It depends on the copy of XP, and the kind of support.

For XP Proffesional:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223

With Service Pack 3 round the corner, that'll be supported for a good while yet, so it's not likely to be redundant any time soon :) Besides, you should then be able to upgrade from it to vista for a relatively cheap price by the time it's no longer supported... :)

Just google around for Microsoft XP support dates :)

ALMOSTsaved
01-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Cool! Thanks for the tip!