PDA

View Full Version : What the fuck happened to AC/DC?

Mr Badguy
12-26-2007, 07:28 AM
I waited three months to see the "Plug me in" DVD because my mother-in-law had bought it for me and my wife woldn`t let me get it.

Put it on first thing on Christmas morning.

The first disc and the first half of the second disc were awesome.

Post 1991 they are nowhere near as good live.

Is it old age or the extended breaks from the road?

The version on "Ride on" from 2003, for want of a better word, sucks.

I had suspiscions of this when I saw both "No Bull" and "Stiff upper lip live" and this seems to confirm it.

I hate to say it but they look all washed up as a live act.

WACF
12-26-2007, 02:18 PM
I have to pick this DVD up...it was on my wish list and Santa never delivered it.

The wife would of flipped if I just went and bought it.

I think you are right though...older and not out there as much.

I heard a interview on XM with Brian Johnson and he pretty much said he has a hard time singing the older stuff...he said when they did Back In Black he did not think it would do well...so he sang his ass off.

He set his own bar too high.

He also said he has not spoken to Angus in over 2 years...said the Young brothers are happy to sit at home and play and they would call him if they had anything that needed vocals.

On a side note Cliff Williams got him to join a side project during last summer...I can not remember what it was called.
They did a couple of original songs they wrote and did some AC/DC stuff...he was pretty pumped up about it.

NATEDOG001976
12-26-2007, 02:23 PM
WHAT HAPPEND??

Scott died & the band pretty much died with him!

Mr Badguy
12-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by NATEDOG001976
WHAT HAPPEND??

Scott died & the band pretty much died with him!

Nah, they were amazing at least until 1991.

Check "Live at Donington" or "AC/DC Live", they were fuckin` smokin`.

That might have been their peak as a performing act, they had all their shit down.

Alright, maybe their original albums weren`t doing much but live they could cut it against anyone.

In those days they were doing 200 date tours every couple of years.

For "Ballbreaker" and "Stiff upper lip" it was all stadium shows and it looked like they were mailing it in.

I don`t like saying it but I think it`s true.

Just like Ali was once the greatest, AC/DC are past their best.

NATEDOG001976
12-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy

That might have been their peak as a performing act, they had all their shit down.

Alright, maybe their original albums weren`t doing much but live they could cut it against anyone.

For "Ballbreaker" and "Stiff upper lip" it was all stadium shows and it looked like they were mailing it in.

I love the early stuff. After "Back In Black" I really don't care for...

WACF
12-26-2007, 03:54 PM
I prefer Bon but Brian reallly did an amazing job.

I think...given the cards these guys were dealt they drove it home.

They did great and the Johnson version put out some classics.

I think they peaked...and you know where it goes from there.

Mr. Vengeance
12-26-2007, 10:24 PM
My favorite band since I was a teen. I got it for Chirstmas but haven't had a chance to watch yet. I'm a little disappointed that there aren't full concerts, like the KISS releases. We'll see.

They're getting older. They don't tour as much. It's hard to stay sharp if you don't play.

Little Texan
12-26-2007, 11:33 PM
WTF happened to that new album they were supposed to be working on that was supposed to have been released several years ago? You know, the one that Brian said had to be perfect? How perfect does it have to be?

Prothro
12-27-2007, 05:57 AM
I wish they would let the fans know what is going on with the band. Stiff Upper Lip came out in 2000 didn't it. I would just like to know what the state of AC/DC is myself. Never any news on the bands website or anything just updates of when merchandise is going on sale. Come on guys let us know has the band broken up , fizzled out , or what ?????

Mr Badguy
12-27-2007, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Little Texan
WTF happened to that new album they were supposed to be working on that was supposed to have been released several years ago? You know, the one that Brian said had to be perfect? How perfect does it have to be?

AC/DC`s "Chinese democracy"?

:D

sadaist
12-27-2007, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by WACF

He also said he has not spoken to Angus in over 2 years...said the Young brothers are happy to sit at home and play...

Sounds somewhat familiar. Maybe he should give Michael Anthony a call.

binnie
12-27-2007, 10:11 AM
I saw ACDC in 2001 at Milton Keynes Bowl and they were fuckin' excellent. Brian's voice is gone, but it kind of fits the music.

I actually prefer "No Bull" to "live at Donnington" if I'm honest - it just feels a little rawer to me. I suspect I'm in the minority though.

I also waited three months for "Plug Me In" - made Christmas day a little more special though. They certainly were spectacular back in the day - the early Brian Johnson era in particular surprised me.

Little Texan
12-27-2007, 03:50 PM
AC/DC`s "Chinese democracy"?

:D

Exactly, exactly.

Terry
12-27-2007, 06:10 PM

I'd say with Live At Donnington, which was...what...1990? 1991? Somewhere in there...I'd say the band was sounding well and BJ's vocals were passable.

Can't disagree with the assertion that the later live performances on said thread dvd...well, they just sound frickin' terrible.

Post-Bon Scott, I'll agree that BIB and FTATR are great albums. Post FTATR, I'd say there were perhaps two or three solid cuts per album through to and including the Razor's Edge. Beyond that, nothing they did was worth a toss, IMO.

BJs voice is shot and fucked now. No reasonable person can deny this.

binnie
12-27-2007, 06:12 PM
I thought that Flick of the Switch was a really strong album....

Mr. Vengeance
12-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by binnie
I thought that Flick of the Switch was a really strong album....

I loved it, and the band completely ignores it live, it would seem. It smokes all the way through. Tell me Guns For Hire and Bedlam in Belgium aren't kick ass!!!!

Mr Badguy
12-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
I loved it, and the band completely ignores it live, it would seem. It smokes all the way through. Tell me Guns For Hire and Bedlam in Belgium aren't kick ass!!!!

On the DVD, BJ can`t hit the notes in "Guns for hire" even in rehersal.

Maybe that`s why they never play it?

I maybe in the minority but I really liked "FOTS" and "Fly on the wall".

They`re fun albums.

78/84 guy
12-27-2007, 07:01 PM
All of our hero's are getting old !!! It's sad but true !! I'm not much of a Stone's fan but Mick can still sing great for his age, still has his hair, and isn't to concerned that he needs to change his image as he gets older !!! I wish Dave would just come out on stage wearing a black tee shirt on this tour !! I can handle his short hair because I know he is losing it with age, but I really miss his badass image !! VH should look as it sounds he would always say in the old days, I think he is off the mark a little on this tour with his coats and hats ( Dave already did Vegas, this is fucking rock and roll) But he is doing a good job singing so I can live with it.

sadaist
12-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
Tell me Guns For Hire and Bedlam in Belgium aren't kick ass!!!!

Can't do it. Those are two great fucking songs.

letsrock
12-28-2007, 02:11 AM
They got bored of making the same record for the last 35 years.

binnie
12-28-2007, 05:34 AM
If it ain't broke.......

WACF
12-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Ha...I thought I was in the minority for liking Flick Of The Switch...I fucking loved it!

BlimpyCHIMP™
12-28-2007, 01:02 PM
I GOTTA GO POTTY

binnie
12-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by WACF
Ha...I thought I was in the minority for liking Flick Of The Switch...I fucking loved it!

Yup, I thought it was downhill after that one though....

bueno bob
12-28-2007, 06:55 PM
By and large, I don't have much use for AC/DC beyond 1980...

Last I heard, Epic was going to put out a greatest hits album in 2003, I read that in an industry magazine back in 2001...supposed to be coupled with their debut album for Sony Music...

Since then, who knows?

I'd say the bulk of their work up to this point should be enough to satisfy even the most discriminatory AC/DC fan, though...not like they've got anything left to prove to anybody...

letsrock
12-29-2007, 07:32 AM
Apparently it was broke.

Mr Grimsdale
01-02-2008, 02:57 PM
a substitute
http://www.adultwork.com/images/AWB/aw-pussy.gif

Binky
01-27-2008, 01:57 PM
I have always prefered the Bon Scott era. Considering most of my opinions give me shit, it wouldn't surprise you to know people think because I don't like Johnson's voice I'm just an idiot. But I can hear a significant difference, he screeches more and it doesn't sound right. I mean it's like he's just copying Bon Scott! Besides, I respect Angus as a guitarist but there's something about him I don't like. Hell, I've never been a big fan of AC/DC. I don't see why I have to be because I like rock and metal.

I heard they were gonna headline Download festival. I'd only go if I was given a free ticket.

vh rides again
01-28-2008, 06:37 PM
bon scott died, and they keep playing the same song with different words over and fucking over.

theres only so many versions of the same 3 chords over and over then it all sounds the same.

back in black kicked my ass, its all rubbish from there on out.

you want to see good AC/DC buy family jewels and throw the second disk in the garbage, disk 1 kicks ass.

thats a dvd that vanhalen should use a model for.

JacktheRipper
02-03-2008, 02:05 AM
They passed the torch to these guys...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uANVBPVaf-g&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uANVBPVaf-g&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

binnie
02-04-2008, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Binky

I heard they were gonna headline Download festival. I'd only go if I was given a free ticket.

Whether you're a fan or not, it'd be a great show.....

Atomic_Rob
02-12-2008, 12:13 AM
I've had a massive AC/DC revival, what a truly great band, wish they'd do SOMETHING at least, I've never seen them, their new album should be good, can't be any worse than Stiff Upper Lip...

binnie
02-12-2008, 06:57 AM
I actually thought that SUL was a pretty decent album, I prefered it to a lot of their 90s stuff...

Atomic_Rob
02-19-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm not sure if it's for real or not, but Angus Young has a Myspace page and the bulletins on there are signed Angus.

One of them states that there will be US and Australian dates this year and possibly some European ones too.

Could be some cunt fucking around but y'know, always look on the bright side of life and all that.

binnie
02-20-2008, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by Atomic_Rob

Could be some cunt fucking around but y'know, always look on the bright side of life and all that.

Blabbermouth has just reported that they are going into the studio in March. Lets hope it's true this time.....

Mr. Vengeance
02-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Australian Democracy......

Jano
02-22-2008, 11:04 PM
like VH without DAVE,ACDC is nothing without BON!!!
For me ACDC died long time ago!
RIP BON!!!!

Jano
02-22-2008, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by letsrock
They got bored of making the same record for the last 35 years.
I really love that one!

Atomic_Rob
02-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by binnie
Blabbermouth has just reported that they are going into the studio in March. Lets hope it's true this time.....

The same studio they were meant to have entered in early 2005?

I will believe it when I see it mate ;)