PDA

View Full Version : From the "grab your ass tour" 1998

DavidLeeNatra
01-01-2008, 11:33 AM
and ga y cherone as gay as it could be...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yxm32xmSaLE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yxm32xmSaLE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

DavidLeeNatra
01-01-2008, 11:38 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Y4LP4h8_X0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Y4LP4h8_X0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

same concert...man, that sucks...

Matt White
01-01-2008, 12:00 PM
That is disturbing............

TVGUY
01-01-2008, 12:31 PM
I've never seen this clips before... And I really wish it were still that way. God that sucked!!!

01-01-2008, 01:24 PM
That footage is just indecent!

Coyote
01-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Somehow I'm glad I never went to see this lineup in '98...

Jesus H, what closet faggotry on Cherones part...

Romeo Delight
01-01-2008, 01:55 PM
To make matters worse, with Anthony and his pipes out of the lineup, they can't revisit The song on tour now.

Oh those Kiss-like background vocals:

HEY, HEY, HEY, HEY-HeY

Brutal

01-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Fat Mullet and his fads!

ULTRAMAN VH
01-01-2008, 03:30 PM
What a nightmare!! Nice half empty stadium they were playing in. What a joke.

Antman
01-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Seriously, what the fuck was Ed thinking when he hired this ass monkey? Forget the gay jokes, this is embarassingly horrible. Even Mike looks embarassed. Why didn't anyone speak out against this abortion? Al?, WB?, Management? Fuck, there's no way they spent a year in the studio working on this shit thinking that it was any good. Did they not want to sell any albums or tickets? If that was the idea, then it worked. Was it a case of OK, Ed's sober and is trying to think for himself, so let him be? If so, then we all know why ed started drinking again. I guess he soberd up enough to listen to this shite and hit the hard stuff again. Can't say I blame him.

SparkieD
01-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Coyote

...what closet faggotry on Cherones part...

Closet, hell! That self reach-around screams gay pride!

letsrock
01-01-2008, 06:21 PM
There are some great recordings on the net of the 98 tour. Not only that, you cant rely on some goof in the crowd to sound great all the time.

I went, to see Edtard. It was the best he sounded since 81.

Those Wolfgangs and the 5150 2 amp blew the doors off of everything else.

Including 2007.

scam failin
01-01-2008, 07:13 PM
i agree gary was not the best choice and looks at times faggy and gay BUT..........I SAW VAN HALEN IN 1998 AND WERE MUSICIALLY INCREDIBLE! BETTER THAN WHEN I JUST SAW THEM WITH DAVID LEE ROTH!!!!!!!! I SAW HALEN WITH SPAMMY, GARY, AND ROTH...........AND THEY WERE BY FAR THE BEST WITH GARY.CHECK OUT THE YOU TUBES WITH VAN HALEN "YEAR TO THE DAY""ERUPTION""SOMEBODY GET ME A DOCTOR".BLOCK OUT GARY FROM YOUR MIND AND WHAT YOU HAVE IS EXACTLY VAN HALEN CIRCA 1977-1980.

VAN HLN CA
01-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Cheeky Monkee's ?

jhale667
01-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by scam failin
BLOCK OUT GARY FROM YOUR MIND

You first. :rolleyes:

hotdog@ a shake
01-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Disbelief is the only word that comes to mind.

I mean, how could Alex say, at that time, to tour w/ Roth would be "Insulting the Audience" !?!?

And what's with Eddie's oufit ?

You would think he'd dress like that now that he's in his 50's, not early 40's ...

Dan
01-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by letsrock
There are some great recordings on the net of the 98 tour. Not only that, you cant rely on some goof in the crowd to sound great all the time.

I went, to see Edtard. It was the best he sounded since 81.

Those Wolfgangs and the 5150 2 amp blew the doors off of everything else.

Including 2007.

:rolleyes:

letsrock
01-02-2008, 12:53 AM
Also remember when they played with Gary it was the first time since 84 that they played so many deep cuts like Mean streets, and Romeo delight. and many others.

Dan
01-02-2008, 01:36 AM
Also remember when they played with Gary it was the first time since 84 that they played so many deep cuts like Mean streets, and Romeo delight. and many others.

You Have To Be Joking?

Prothro
01-02-2008, 01:58 AM
And I thought nothing could ever be worse than Gaygar, but this comes close.

letsrock
01-02-2008, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Dan
You Have To Be Joking?

When i saw them in 98, they played the following off the six pack. i might miss a couple.

Feel your Love tonight
Somebody get me a Doctor
Dance the night away
Romeo Delight
Mean Street
Panama
Jump
Aint talkin about Love
I'm the One

and many more....

With Hagar he never got passed:

Panama
Aint talkin about love
and Jump.

I didnt care for Cherone, bt i got to hear the old music again. Sorry you missed out.

Dan
01-02-2008, 02:44 AM
Sorry you missed out.

LOL

When They Came Down Here,I Said Fuck That Shit,I'm Rather Spend My Money On A North Shore Whore.:D

letsrock
01-02-2008, 02:47 AM
Thats funny, thats how i felt about 2004.
But i was only pointing out fact about the songs they played.
Gary had his place in Extreme.
Lets be grateful that VH didnt do a second CD with Gary.
Could you imagine?

01-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Well, when Van Halen came to England in the late 90`s with Gary, the crowd chanted "bring back Dave" after the show had finished!

VAN HLN CA
01-02-2008, 08:00 AM
I could not purge the Balance debacle out of my system and vowed to never watch VH date rape it's legacy again. Up to Balance tour would go to catch 3/4 of VH for every tour except OU812 and Live w/o Hairnet shows.

Balance was so uninspired at Forum show that we left early and extremely let down watching Ed barely go through motions with Poodleton.

'98 and 2004 were not even considered and there were primo freebies offered at the time. Almost as bas as Corabi in Motley Crue. Couldnt give a fuck how well he sang or rocked, would not pretend he was the voice of Motley.

Another gift to the fans was wiping away these shit stains from the catalogue on the official site reffering to VH as it should Six-Pack Style!

78/84 guy
01-02-2008, 02:13 PM
What the fuck was Eddie thinking with this guy ??? He is really hard to watch !!! I do agree the old music was really good on this tour from the videos I have. Ed sound was great on this tour.

lafours
01-02-2008, 02:14 PM
as horrifying as VH3 was, it was probably the last time Eddie had a fire in his playing...He sounded excellent on those vids...

and prior to that his playing on "Me Wise Magic" and "Can't get this stuff" was Ed at his best...

Gary is so bad on those videos it is embarrasing

Terry
01-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Instrumentally, the band sounded okay from what I've heard and seen of the 1998 tour.

Cherone was fucking doomed before he was even confirmed as a band member. Everybody was psyched to see Roth rejoin the band in 1996, and after 4 months of the reunion buzz getting pumped up to a fever pitch, out come the Van Halens announcing that Cherone got the job instead of Dave...

And part of the standard VH blather after Dave was ejected in 1996 was that they didn't want to do an oldies tour with Dave, because they're not a nostalgia act. So they get a third singer in the band and hit the road with a setlist that is over 50% Roth-era tunes? Didn't make sense.

Van Halen 3 was just an abysmal album. I couldn't believe it took them almost a year and a half from the time Cherone joined to put that out. It sounded terrible, the songs sucked...

Cherone was smart in that he knew people wanted to see Dave back with the group, so it made sense to bring all those CVH tunes out of mothballs for the live shows, but the thing of it was people wanted to hear those tunes sung by the guy who...um...originally sang them. you know? Not by the guy who sung More Than Words.

And Cherone's ass-grabbing...er...'antics' onstage...when I first saw that stuff, I'm just like "What the FUCK is this guy DOING?!"

I'll agree 100% that Van Halen's then-manager and Warner Brothers bear as much responsibility as the Van Halens for the whole mess; was everyone THAT afraid to say anything to Eddie? Was the mindset one of thinking because Van Halen still enjoyed a degree of commercial success with Hagar that this would continue with a third lead singer? After getting everyone hyped up with the return of Roth, then refusing to seal the deal, anyone with half a brain should have realized that the next singer and album would have to be something pretty amazing to make fans give the group the benefit of the doubt for not going whole-hog with the Roth reunion.

ELVIS
01-03-2008, 01:37 AM
I can't believe some of you waste so much effort, thought, bandwidth, keyboard, ect, and so on and so friggin' forth and whatnot into...umm...

What was this thread about again...:confused:

letsrock
01-03-2008, 02:28 AM
Truth hurts at times.

Terry
01-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I can't believe some of you waste so much effort, thought, bandwidth, keyboard, ect, and so on and so friggin' forth and whatnot into...umm...

What was this thread about again...:confused:

Kinda rings hollow coming from someone with 17,000 posts:D

binnie
01-04-2008, 04:10 AM
That was rock bottom really wasn't it?

jero
01-20-2008, 12:47 PM
And now the leadsinger for the Village People

binnie
01-21-2008, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by jero
And now the leadsinger for the Village People