View Full Version : Edwards Wants Troops Out in 10 Months

Nickdfresh
01-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Edwards calls for pullout of troops training Iraqis
Broader plan would remove virtually all troops within 10 months
By Michael R. Gordon
The New York Times
updated 10:55 p.m. ET, Tues., Jan. 1, 2008

SIOUX CITY, Iowa - John Edwards says that if elected president he would withdraw the American troops who are training the Iraqi army and police as part of a broader plan to remove virtually all American forces within 10 months.

Mr. Edwards, the former senator from North Carolina who is waging a populist campaign for the Democratic nomination, said that extending the American training effort in Iraq into the next presidency would require the deployment of tens of thousands of troops to provide logistical support and protect the advisers.

“To me, that is a continuation of the occupation of Iraq,” he said in a 40-minute interview on Sunday aboard his campaign bus as it rumbled through western Iowa.

In one of his most detailed discussions to date about how he would handle Iraq as president, Mr. Edwards staked out a position that would lead to a more rapid and complete troop withdrawal than his principal rivals, Senators Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama, who have indicated they are open to keeping American trainers and counterterrorism units in Iraq.

Elizabeth Edwards, his wife and political partner, who listened in on the interview from a seat across the aisle, intervened at the end of the session to underscore that Mr. Edwards did not intend to stop all training and was prepared to train Iraqi forces outside of the country. Mr. Edwards continued the theme while acknowledging that the benefits of such training would be limited.

Mr. Edward’s plan, like that of many of his Democratic opponents, is at odds with the strategy developed by American military commanders, who have said the situation is still too fragile to set a timetable for such extensive troop withdrawals and a curtailment of the training effort in Iraq.

Mr. Edwards’s plan calls for immediately withdrawing 40,000 to 50,000 troops. Nearly all of the remaining American troops would be removed within 9 or 10 months. The only force that would remain would be a 3,500-to-5,000-strong contingent that would protect the American Embassy and possibly humanitarian workers.

Substantial evolution
Over the past five years, Mr. Edward’s position on Iraq has undergone a substantial evolution. In 2002, as a senator, Mr. Edwards was among the Democrats who voted to authorize the use of force in Iraq. Mr. Edwards has said he was convinced by the intelligence that Saddam Hussein controlled stocks of unconventional weapons, but in the Senate speech explaining his vote he also endorsed the Bush administration’s argument that a new democratic Iraq “could serve as a model for the entire Arab world.”

In November 2005, Mr. Edwards wrote an op-ed article for The Washington Post entitled “The Right Way in Iraq,” in which he argued that his earlier vote to authorize the use of use of force in Iraq was a mistake, while making the point that it was still important to provide American troops with “a way to end their mission honorably.”

Toward this end, Mr. Edwards called at the time for establishing a more effective program to train Iraqi troops and channeling reconstruction work to Iraqis instead of American contractors. While he called for removing a significant number of American forces, he also stressed that the withdrawals should be “a gradual process.”

“That will still leave us with enough military capability, combined with better-trained Iraqis, to fight terrorists and continue to help the Iraqis develop a stable country,” he wrote.

In the interview on Sunday, Mr. Edwards said that he decided on his current plan for a rapid and near-total withdrawal of American troops because of the failure of Iraqi leaders to achieve a political accommodation over the past four years. Eight to 10 brigades, which is likely to be the bulk of the American combat force by the time the next president takes office, would immediately be withdrawn.

“I absolutely believe this to my soul: we are there propping up their bad behavior,” he said. “I mean really, how many American lives and how much American taxpayer money are we going to continue to expend waiting for these political leaders to do something? Because that is precisely what we are doing.”

Such a troop withdrawal, he said, might jolt Iraqi leaders into taking action to overcome their sectarian differences. During the 10 months or so while American troops were being withdrawn, Mr. Edwards added, he would also mount an intensive effort to encourage Iraq’s leaders to engage in political reconciliation and solicit the cooperation of Iran and Syria, who he argued might be more willing to help once they understood that American troops were on their way out.

Mr. Edwards, who has never visited Iraq, said that he asked the Pentagon last year to help arrange a visit but was turned down. (Mr. Obama visited Iraq once two years ago, while Mrs. Clinton has made three trips.) Geoff Morrell, the senior Defense Department spokesman, said the Pentagon had turned down all requests to visit Iraqi from politicians who are not currently serving in Congress or as governors, including Rudolph W. Giuliani, a candidate for the Republican nomination.

At his campaign stops on Sunday, Mr. Edwards sought to highlight his knowledge of foreign policy by recounting his recent telephone phone call with Pakistan’s president, Pervez Musharraf, a conversation Mr. Edwards initiated as soon as he learned of the death of Benazir Bhutto. Iraq was not part of his prepared remarks, save for a denunciation of greedy military contractors. But Mr. Edwards outlined his plan to remove American troops from Iraq during a question-and-answer session with voters.

In the interview, Mr. Edwards spoke comfortably about the subject and without notes or help from policy advisers. Some elements of his plan, however, run counter to assessments by intelligence agencies and military officers and a Congressionally mandated study.

Quick reaction force in Kuwait
American military commanders have publicly cautioned that a rapid withdrawal of troops risks a new escalation of sectarian violence, which has been substantially reduced in recent months. A National Intelligence Estimate on Iraq that was issued in January 2007 by the United States intelligence agencies also warned that the withdrawal of American troops over the ensuing 12 to 18 months would probably lead to “massive civilian casualties and forced population displacement.”

Mr. Edwards acknowledged that there was a risk that a speedy troop drawdown might lead to substantially increased sectarian violence. Under Mr. Edwards’s plan, the United States would keep a quick reaction force in Kuwait and perhaps Jordan to respond to terrorist threats and possible “genocide.”

Mr. Edwards has said that he would also seek to involve other allied nations in the effort. But he declined to say whether the United States would be prepared to send troops back into Iraq to stop attacks on civilians if other nations did not participate, saying the question was hypothetical.

Regarding training, an independent commission that was established by Congress to assess Iraq’s security forces cautioned in a September report that Iraq’s security force would not be able to operate independently within the next 12 to 18 months. The commission, whose chairman was the retired Gen. James L. Jones, the former Marine Corps commandant and NATO commander, noted that Iraqi army was making strides but added that “for the foreseeable future” Iraqi troops would continue to rely on American help with logistics, equipment, training and support from air and artillery units.

That raises the question of whether Mr. Edwards’s plan to withdraw American trainers and logistical support would undermine the effort to transfer more responsibility to Iraqis, which is the main goal of his policy. Asked about the commission’s study, Mr. Edwards said that the key problem in shifting responsibility to the Iraqis was not military, but political.

As the interview drew to a close, Mrs. Edwards politely chided this reporter for failing to ask about Mr. Edwards’s plan to train some Iraqi forces outside Iraq, which she stressed was an important feature of the plan. “It’s the one thing you forgot,” she said.

Mr. Edwards continued the thought. “Of course, it is limited,” he said, referring to the training. “You can do some. You can do some.”

Throughout his campaign Mr. Edwards has spoken about the need to restore the United States’ moral standing in the world. He was asked if he believes the United States has a duty to help protect Iraqi civilians, particularly since he had voted to authorize an invasion that had unleashed a sectarian struggle for power.

“That is a very important question for the president of the United States because it is very much a judgment call,” Mr. Edwards said. “Do I believe that we have had a moral responsibility? I do. The question is, How long does that moral responsibility continue and at what juncture is it the right decision to end what we have been doing and shift that responsibility to them?”

“Let’s assume for a minute that come January 2009 we still have a significant troop presence in Iraq, which I think is likely,” Mr. Edwards added. “If that is the case, then I think another 9 to 10 months of American troop involvement and expenditure of taxpayer money with an intense effort to resolve the political conflict and intense diplomacy, then at that point America has done what it can do.”
Copyright © 2008 The New York Times

MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22466398/)

Ellyllions
01-02-2008, 09:23 AM
I'd love to see it happen, but there's no way Edwards would be able to pull it off as President.

Be careful of Edwards. Like I told you before he is a snake in the grass he will say ANYTHING to win this.

LoungeMachine
01-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Ellyllions
I'd love to see it happen, but there's no way Edwards would be able to pull it off as President.

He doesn't need to.

The Democratic-Led Congress with 60 votes can. They just need a POTUS who wouldn't Veto.

And "pulling out" doesnt mean everyone goes home, either.

Redeployed out of the civil war / occupation would do for now.

I'd Be careful of Edwards. Like I told you before he is a snake in the grass he will say ANYTHING to win this.

This is cute.

As opposed to all of those other civic-minded candidates like Shrillary and Mittens who would never think to pander and lie. :D

:gulp:

Ellyllions
01-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Naw, sweetie, Edwards is a particular thorny beast.
I ain't labeling him as a Democrat at all. I've posted before on who this man is and if you ask me, he's a shame to the Democratic party.

FORD
01-02-2008, 12:18 PM
But not half as much of a shame as Hillary. If that's the only options, I guess I'd have to go with Edwards.

Dennis still gets my caucus vote though.

Guitar Shark
01-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Naw, sweetie, Edwards is a particular thorny beast.
I ain't labeling him as a Democrat at all. I've posted before on who this man is and if you ask me, he's a shame to the Democratic party.

I didn't recall seeing you post anything about this in the past, so I did a search of your posts... is this the one you're referring to?

Let me tell you something about Mr. Edwards...LOL!

He's an ASSHOLE in the greatest regard. Don't believe the considerate, low brow, concern that he has given at any public statement.

He lives right here in Raleigh and I know several folks who live in his neighborhood. That man tromps around that neighborhood like he owns the whole fucking place. He's known for doing his "spot inspections" during his morning run. If he doesn't like what you're doing with your yard or home he'll come right to your door and tell you how your property affects his image because he lives in your neighborhood. And it won't be with an endearing concerned look on his face.

He also requests that his hair gets mentioned during interviews. VAIN AS HELL!

NC would LOVE to have one of it's sons in the White House. But NOT that one.

Don't believe one word he says. He's not in the run for the public service. It's all about power and legacy for Mr. John Edwards.

BARACK OBAMA in '08 bitchez!!

Ellyllions
01-02-2008, 12:42 PM
That would be the one.

Guitar Shark
01-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Fair enough. However, I think most politicians share the same traits. It takes a certain type of person to want to run for public office in today's world.

Ellyllions
01-02-2008, 01:12 PM
If you've seen the Shrek movies, you can equate Edwards to Prince Charming.

LOL.

BITEYOASS
01-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Another good idea would be to pay off this 8 TRILLION DOLLAR NATIONAL DEBT WITHIN 40 YEARS?!?!?! How come no one has brought this up? It's always I'm gonna spend this and that, fuck dat! I might as well vote for Ron Paul. :mad:

Blackflag
01-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Didn't Edwards vote for the AUMF?

Ron Paul wants the troops out immediately. That sounds good to me.

hideyoursheep
01-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Blackflag
Ron Paul wants the troops out immediately. That sounds good to me.

Not me.

Not just yet.

It won't be too much longer,though.

hideyoursheep
01-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by hideyoursheep
Not me.

Not just yet.

It won't be too much longer,though.

Yeah, I flip-flopped.

letsrock
01-04-2008, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
Fair enough. However, I think most politicians share the same traits. It takes a certain type of person to want to run for public office in today's world.

As a public official, dont label us all bad. Some of us do good. We have created new sources of water for our residents. Provided, programs to help the public. Even working on getting a library.

Hillary attends "New World Order" meetings. What a cunt.
Bush and Guliani are behind combining the USA, Mexico , and Canada.

Get all of our soldiers out of Iraq.
Killing Americas young people is horrible government.

John

Hyman Roth
01-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by letsrock
As a public official, dont label us all bad. Some of us do good. We have created new sources of water for our residents. Provided, programs to help the public. Even working on getting a library.

Hillary attends "New World Order" meetings. What a cunt.
Bush and Guliani are behind combining the USA, Mexico , and Canada.

Get all of our soldiers out of Iraq.
Killing Americas young people is horrible government.

John

You're no public servant. You're a third shift security guard at a
technical college. You haven't done fuck all about new sources of
water. All you do is sit on your ass 18 hours a day and make inane
posts trolling on messageboards. You're not intelligent enough to "help the public".
Stick to making sure no one breaks into the equipment shed at night
and recycling your empties at the end of your shift. kthanxbaifag.

hideyoursheep
01-04-2008, 08:48 AM
You two seem to know each other...

steve
01-07-2008, 09:59 AM
xxxxxxx

steve
01-07-2008, 10:00 AM
xxxxxxx

steve
01-07-2008, 10:00 AM
xxxxxx

steve
01-07-2008, 10:02 AM
I see 2 poor arguments happening:

Many Republican candidates choose to use fear: "fight them over there so we don't have to fight them over here"...which is completely ludicrous logistically, but also morally repulsive because it suggests sacrificing other parts of the world, in essence lighting "them" on fire as a distraction to protect "us".

Then you've got many Democrats like Edwards saying "pull them out"...well, we've already impregnated this bitch known as Iraq, and an abortion does not work as an analogy. Bush's fault, Cheney's fault, Rummy's fault, congress' fault, apathetic American public's fault...to a great extent it doesn't matter. First thing to do is create some sense of stability and rule of law where our country took a collective geopolitical DUMP. And the sad sad fact is that if we leave, things will only get worse there. McCain's surge appears to be working - so as crappy as it is that many of our young men have died over there, we owe it to the Iraqis to clean up our mess. Because as much as American soldiers and their families have suffered, it's undeniable that they have suffered most. Yes, it is cleaning up BushCo's mess, but if we don't do it, we'll be back there in 20 years.

knuckleboner
01-07-2008, 10:46 AM
um...is it possible to agree with somebody 106%? cause if so, count me completely in steve's camp...

Nickdfresh
01-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by steve
I see 2 poor arguments happening:

Many Republican candidates choose to use fear: "fight them over there so we don't have to fight them over here"...which is completely ludicrous logistically, but also morally repulsive because it suggests sacrificing other parts of the world, in essence lighting "them" on fire as a distraction to protect "us".

Then you've got many Democrats like Edwards saying "pull them out"...well, we've already impregnated this bitch known as Iraq, and an abortion does not work as an analogy. Bush's fault, Cheney's fault, Rummy's fault, congress' fault, apathetic American public's fault...to a great extent it doesn't matter. First thing to do is create some sense of stability and rule of law where our country took a collective geopolitical DUMP. And the sad sad fact is that if we leave, things will only get worse there. McCain's surge appears to be working - so as crappy as it is that many of our young men have died over there, we owe it to the Iraqis to clean up our mess. Because as much as American soldiers and their families have suffered, it's undeniable that they have suffered most. Yes, it is cleaning up BushCo's mess, but if we don't do it, we'll be back there in 20 years.

The problem here is that we already have cleaned up "the mess" with the Surge.

It's really up to the Shiite Iraqi gov't to get their shit together, or we leave in short order...

Since they're being obstinate cunt rags basically telling the Sunnis to: "There, take that bitch!" and then hiding behind US forces, I think the only real solution is to leave and to force them to make deals...

It is what the British have effectively done in the south, and we should follow suit, which would effectively deprive the forces of extremism in Iraq of a common, external foe to justify their ethnic cleanings and tribal terror with...

Blackflag
01-07-2008, 11:05 PM
if we don't do it, we'll be back there in 20 years.

That's a leap in logic. Leave and don't look back.

steve
01-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
The problem here is that we already have cleaned up "the mess" with the Surge.
It's really up to the Shiite Iraqi gov't to get their shit together, or we leave in short order...
Since they're being obstinate cunt rags basically telling the Sunnis to: "There, take that bitch!" and then hiding behind US forces, I think the only real solution is to leave and to force them to make deals...
It is what the British have effectively done in the south, and we should follow suit, which would effectively deprive the forces of extremism in Iraq of a common, external foe to justify their ethnic cleanings and tribal terror with...

So "mission accomplished"?? Sorry, I know you don't think that, persay. I think the success of the surge has only shown that now...after 5 years of training... a large-enough contingent of properly trained us soldiers is policing well and training iraqi police well. But if the Iraqi govenment themselves doesn't want the US to leave yet, then we shouldn't. I think if we weren't there, we'd have a level of ethnic cleansing in Iraq on the scale of 1990s Rowanda - statistically speaking, a situtation that DWARFED the number of dead so far in Iraq thus far. There are also arguments to be made with regards to political stability inthe region, world oil supply disruptions and residual wars over world oil, but I think the strongest argument to stay for the next couple years at least is the ethnic cleansing one.

Nickdfresh
01-08-2008, 04:36 PM
So "mission accomplished"?? Sorry, I know you don't think that, persay. I think the success of the surge has only shown that now...after 5 years of training... a large-enough contingent of properly trained us soldiers is policing well and training iraqi police well.

No, the Iraqi police are still largely walking shit bags in much of the country, though the Army has improved.

But what the Surge really shows is that the US is largely buying off former insurgent leaders who were always dubious of 'foreign' al Qaeda ideological impositions of mass slaughter terrorism.

It's far from just about 30,000 more troops, it's about finally realizing that no one had a fucking clue how to deal with an insurgency, much less one in an ethnic nightmare like Iraq...

But if the Iraqi govenment themselves doesn't want the US to leave yet, then we shouldn't.

If they don't want us to leave yet, then they should pull their head out of their asses and stop acting like arrogant, obstinate douche bags hiding behind the big kid (the US military)...

I think if we weren't there, we'd have a level of ethnic cleansing in Iraq on the scale of 1990s Rowanda - statistically speaking, a situtation that DWARFED the number of dead so far in Iraq thus far.

Rwanda wasn't really 'ethnic cleansing,' it was out and out Holocaust style genocide. And um dude, we already did allow the ethnic cleansing of Iraq! One little oft forgotten about fact is that the Surge largely takes advantage of the massive shift in populations and the divide that has been engineered by the terrorists/militia death squads.

The ethnic cleansing has already happened, and it happened on our watch...Which is one of the reasons why violence has gone down.

There are also arguments to be made with regards to political stability inthe region, world oil supply disruptions and residual wars over world oil, but I think the strongest argument to stay for the next couple years at least is the ethnic cleansing one.

Nope. Consider Iraq largely ethnically cleansed already. Although some of the 100,000s of mostly Sunnis are beginning to return, most are now going to ethnic Sunni enclaves after being terrorized out of their mixed neighborhoods in the past three years...

steve
01-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Are you considering displaced Sunnis among the ethinically cleansed? It's not like it was an expressed goal of the US for different groups to be displaced (which I agree has happened) - quite the opposite. Not exactly Serbia. And without a doubt not CLOSE to comparable to "Hotel Rwanda".

i challenge the notion that a poorly planned occupation and general lawlessness is ethnic cleansing - and especially NOT the moral equivalent of a genocide.

Most numbers I have read regarding Iraqi civilian deaths range from around 80K over 5 years (if one counts direct military conflict) to up to 500K (if one counts degraded infrastructure (including additional traffic fatalities) and poor heath care and lower infant mortality. It's nothing to scoff at, but recall that Rwanda was about a MILLION machette/AK-47 deaths in a little over 100 days.

I think if we leave right now things will get worse. If we are able to keep violence down for a another year or two with the surge, then we will be able to leave knowing we give the Iraqis a shot at rule of law - an admirable goal. If they fuck it up from there, so be it, but at least we can give them a chance. If violence returns despite the surge, then it will be time to re-evaluate and consider abandoning...but knock on wood, so far so good.

Nickdfresh
01-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Are you considering displaced Sunnis among the ethinically cleansed? It's not like it was an expressed goal of the US for different groups to be displaced (which I agree has happened) - quite the opposite. Not exactly Serbia. And without a doubt not CLOSE to comparable to "Hotel Rwanda".

But I never said that ethnic cleansing and the Rwandan genocide were comparable...

What I am saying is that the Iraqi gov't is heavily influenced by some of the same Shiite militias that have forcibly evicted Sunnis on pain of death, or have abducted and summarily executed Iraqis in the middle of the night in order to terrorize them to leave. I'm not even blaming the US here, even though we are culpable through our ignorance.

i challenge the notion that a poorly planned occupation and general lawlessness is ethnic cleansing - and especially NOT the moral equivalent of a genocide.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here...

But general lawlessness and political terror go hand in hand here. They were made possible by the US occupation and the resulting vacuum of power it left, but were certainly exacerbated by the Iraqi gov'ts resulting actions.

And the political divide is kept alive by the Shiite's refusal to grant concessions to the Sunnis...

If we continue the Surge without forcing the Iraqi gov't to enter meaningful negotiations and to grant such concessions, then we are guilty of allowing American servicemen and women to die for a foreign powers' obstinacy...

Most numbers I have read regarding Iraqi civilian deaths range from around 80K over 5 years (if one counts direct military conflict) to up to 500K (if one counts degraded infrastructure (including additional traffic fatalities) and poor heath care and lower infant mortality. It's nothing to scoff at, but recall that Rwanda was about a MILLION machette/AK-47 deaths in a little over 100 days.

I'm not sure who you're arguing with here since I've never made the contention that Iraq was just like Rwanda...

Iraq has however seen one of the largest population shifts since WWII and is the single largest refugee crisis that is completely ignored by the US gov't since it resulted by and large from its actions...

...the collapse of Iraq had created a refugee crisis, and that crisis was threatening to precipitate the collapse of the region. The numbers dwarfed anything that the Middle East had seen since the dislocations brought on by the establishment of Israel in 1948. In Syria, there were estimated to be 1.2 million Iraqi refugees. There were another 750,000 in Jordan, 100,000 in Egypt, 54,000 in Iran, 40,000 in Lebanon and 10,000 in Turkey. The overall estimate for the number of Iraqis who had fled Iraq was put at two million by Guterres. The number of displaced Iraqis still inside Iraq’s borders was given as 1.9 million. This would mean about 15 percent of Iraqis have left their homes.

--By NIR ROSEN, NYTimes Mag., 5/17/07 (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/13/magazine/13refugees-t.html)

I think if we leave right now things will get worse. If we are able to keep violence down for a another year or two with the surge, then we will be able to leave knowing we give the Iraqis a shot at rule of law - an admirable goal. If they fuck it up from there, so be it, but at least we can give them a chance. If violence returns despite the surge, then it will be time to re-evaluate and consider abandoning...but knock on wood, so far so good.

Well firstly, we can't leave "right now" even if we wanted too. The Iraqis have to learn to rule their country by law as we can't do it for them, and by your rationale, the US could be there indefinitely and eating our budget because either way, we can rationalize why US troops should stay. But in the end, they may just be enabling an Iraqi gov't that is largely the source of the problem. And as I've pointed out, many believe that large numbers of US troops may indeed fuel much of the violence since they are seen as a foreign occupation force. And that, as has happened in the South, that when a general withdrawal even begins the levels of violence actually drop since the pols in the Sunni/Shiite guerrilla/militia groups cannot rationalized wanton murder to their constituencies anymore...

Only Iraqis can stop the violence and "win the war" by reaching an accord. It is the very underpinning of Gen. Petraeus' strategy, the one that some partisans like to conveniently ignore...

Read the book "Fiasco" by Thomas Ricks for more information...

thome
01-10-2008, 12:36 AM
Edwards Wants Troops Out in 10 Months...da da da

In the meantime he just will keep on pirating more John Kennedy mannerisms and combing his hair just a little harder.

Have you ever noticed someone trying so hard to be someone.

Whoever becomes president is going to keep the troops there as long as he wants.

Read My Lips ....

I did not have sexual......

Kennedy in the oval office tugging on a ten foot long Cuban Cigar after the embargo.Clinton doing the same.

The embargo didn't constrain goods already in America.

I can't find anyone in this race for president that seems to have -OUR- best interests at heart.

Just a bunch -anti what was- douche bags.

hideyoursheep
01-13-2008, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
[B]And that, as has happened in the South, that when a general withdrawal even begins the levels of violence actually drop since the pols in the Sunni/Shiite guerrilla/militia groups - B]

You can now officially add the Baath party members to the mix.

OUR stubbornnes to exclude them from joining in the "reindeer games" (see purple fingers) was OUR idea. THEIR idea is to include them, making it THEIR govt.

Have you heard about the newest band of militia in Iraq called "Sunnis against Al Qadea"? It's actually catching on. It only makes sense that since they want us out (especially Black fucking Water!-There's a pretty disgusting story on them today, you should post it.) they wake up and realize what they have to do to make that happen. It's becoming less and less of us doing all the fighting, and more of them fending for themselves. Could you imagine how you would feel not knowing who to trust in your own town and being asked by the "invaders" to take up arms against what you think are "freedom fighters"? It took a while for reality to sink into these jokers, but it's happening.

Leave them with a managable situation then be gone. That's all we can do.
They will have to do the rest.

No more free oil for Exxon? BIG FUCKING DEAL. Not like the economy or gas prices are gonna change anyway.

Record profits. Pffft!

Nickdfresh
01-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah but, keep in mind that some of those Sunnis were killing US troops not long ago...

And the whole de-Baathification plan was a complete clusterfuck since day one, when it threw tens of thousands of low-level party members, that had been required to join in order to do their profession, out of work and caused =much of the infrastructure collapse (an antagonism) that Iraq has suffered....