PDA

View Full Version : Friend Experiences A Murder @ Work!!!!

hideyoursheep
01-04-2008, 07:11 AM
A good friend of mine who I train with once in a while, works a club
in downtown Cincinnati as security. It's supposed to be a pretty high-end joint, I guess. I myself have never been there. Nonetheless, he works @ the club every 3rd weekend of the month, providing security for the VIP room, where he says he's been asked to watch some of the Bengals players whenever they go in, for a little extra scratch, he'll keep people from "bothering" the players, or any entertainers who might stop in, from being harrassed and shit while they gey their drink
on.

He was working the VIP room on new years eve, making sure everyone's got a pass, or a wristband to get in. This is just the VIP room. Usually, someone the club hires does the front door, and a patdown is sometimes required-to keep people honest. This night, however, some kind of entertainment company (as he described) had hired the people for the front door. He didn't know these guys. The company was holding a grand opening party @ their club's VIP room,
and it was again his responsibility to keep out the riff-raff or uninvited,and not to let the room go beyond the legal capacity.
It was also his job to keep the peace in there.

Alot of the VIP folks were family or friends who got in with some kind of clearance from those inside, some had to pay 20 bucks to get in.
There were no fights, no arguments, nothing. Just people having a good time.

SOMEBODY, it's really not known for sure if it was male or female, walked up to a guy, 26 years old, stuck a 9mm up against his jaw and neck, aimed straight up, and fired 1 round. The round exited the top of his head, ricochet off the ceiling or something up there and struck another man in the hip who I think he said was sitting down.

My friend's a pretty big guy, but not superman. He immediately called the Sherriff who was outside. Everybody in there started running for the exit. It was all he could do to get out of the way, 'cause he don't know if he's next, you know?

The deputy didn't let anybody else leave, but by then it was just employees and friends/family of the man who was already dead.
The Cincinnati police came in and separated everyone and began with the questions. 10 minutes later, a camera shows up,
and starts filming the crime scene. The club owner goes apeshit, but there was nothing he could do to stop the filming because the cameraman is also a detective. This footage, he was told, was going to air on A+E sometime next week on some show called "the next 48" or some shit. (If any of you know what this is and when it's on, let me know.)
Anyway, the coroner arrives, the guy has his wallet, not a lot of cash, ID, the usual...no drugs (although no one knows if he was high or not)
As of right now, there have been no arrests.

My friend said that this is the second time there has been a shooting in the area clubs since he's been working there....

One of his co-workers worked at the nightclub that used to operate
next door to the one they work at now, and he had words with one of their security boys while he was working there for the 1 night.
As he was leaving,someone came up to his car and fired 5 times.
They missed all five.
That place is closed now.

He's pretty shook up, wondering if there was something he could have done. I said "no" , it wasn't his responsibility to do the pat downs @ the door, that was delegated to another group, and they dropped the ball. I said it's time maybe you work somewhere else, like loss prevention at the mall, chasing old women down who shoplift...this shit is too dangerous and the risk isn't worth the reward.

He agreed.
:cool:

binnie
01-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Wow, heavy.

Hope your friend is ok, can't imagine that's easy to get over. Stories like this make me glad that guns aren't readily available over here.

From what you say, it really doesn't look like your friend could have done anything to prevent that from happening.

hideyoursheep
01-04-2008, 08:54 AM
He's good.

Just having that sort of shit go down on his watch shook him up.

The fact that the TV cameras arrived before the coroner is kinda
disturbing.

I gotta find out the name of this show...

It was pretty nasty.

I saw the cellphone video.

I can't believe someone didn't hang around, at least outside, to
give a description of the shooter.

Whoever it was just walked on out with the rest like they were
part of the crowd.

hideyoursheep
01-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Yeah, he was second guessing himself, wondering what he could have done.

Fuck, man. Those 9mm's hold 15 rounds- there's no telling what
lengths that fuckstick would have went to if someone got in the way.

It could have been worse.

He did the right thing by calling the law as soon as he heard it go off.

By the time he turned around it was crazy.

They have cameras in the place but all of them are trained on the
outside door and cash registers and shit. Not 360 coverage, so I think it's not on the security cam.

binnie
01-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Well, here's to hoping that the guy doesn't get away with it. There are some messed up people around....

Nitro Express
01-04-2008, 03:31 PM
I grew up around all sorts of firearms. There were probably around 30 variouse firearms in our house and the community I grew up in people always had rifles in their trucks. I used to drive to high school with a Ruger Mini 14 in my truck and never thought anything about it nor did anyone care.

I never even worried about someon breaking the glass and stealing it because people just didn't do that sort of thing. What is changing is the people. No way would I have a semi-automatic rifle in plain sight in my car now. Someone would break the glass and who in the hell knows what they would do with it.

If it's some kid who guns down the high school with it, guess who's going to get the blame. Not the kid who did it. The guy who had that dangerouse weapon in his truck locked up but gee windows can be broken.

I hate where our society is going. We're all going to be eating fucking Soylent Green in 20 fucking years!

hideyoursheep
01-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Some new press on the victim points toward a criminal background.
Drug arrests and the like. Go figure. One report says there was an argument prior to the shooting, according to one of the owners lawyers.
I don't think so. Somebody would have seen who the argument was with. Not only that, I don't think that owner was in the VIP room at the time.

Here's more:

Owners of a club where a man was murdered early New Year's morning defend their security measures. Pernell Thomas was shot as gunfire erupted on the dance floor of Ocho Rios on 12th and Sycamore Streets in Over-the-Rhine during the New Years celebration. The 26-year-old victim has a history of arrests which includes several drug charges and at least one gun charge. Police have not released any information about possible suspects.

Local 12's Lauren Bercarich found two very different stories about security inside.

Police say shots rang out on the dance floor Monday night and that's when the club descended into chaos. Someone apparently got a gun in the club despite weapons searches at the door.

Attorney Mike Allen, who represents the owners, tells me there were two or three sheriff's deputies working here last night, along with about 15 security guards. But some patrons say the searches at the door were so sloppy it would have been easy to get a gun in.

"When we got here there was only one man working the gate," one woman said. She declined to giver her name. "He had a wand in one hand and he patted down the men and wanded the females, he didn't check our purses or coats. Basically that was it, he was rushing a little because of the line getting longer and it was cold."

"I think in a situation like this, it's an obvious tragedy," says Attorney Mike Allen. "But really you can only do what you can do. But I think in this case we took all the steps we could."

Allen says the metal detector wand was used on all patrons, and all purses were searched. He says the owners plan to keep Ocho Rios open.

If you can help police find the man who killed Thomas call Crimestoppers at 352-3040. You don't have to give your name.

Over-The-Rhine is the worst area of downtown. Helluva place to put a club.

hideyoursheep
01-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Allright...

The name of the show is "First 48" I'm not familiar with it.

Yes, my friend is African-American, light-skinned, bald, 6'6" about 240.
It's a black neighborhood and the club patrons probably run about 50/50, maybe more..

You might see him on the tube, I dunno..

This thing is supposed to air next week on A+E.

Should be interesting to see what the cops do..