PDA

View Full Version : US not allowed to play like the rest of the countries

Ally_Kat
05-17-2004, 12:00 PM
U.S. athletes told to cool it at Olympics

By Simon Hart
LONDON SUNDAY TELEGRAPH

NEW YORK — American athletes have been warned not to wave the U.S. flag during their medal celebrations at this summer's Olympic Games in Athens, for fear of provoking crowd hostility and harming the country's already-battered public image.

The spectacle of victorious athletes grabbing a national flag and parading it around the stadium is a familiar part of international sporting competition, but U.S. Olympic officials have ordered their 550-strong team to exercise restraint and avoid any jingoistic behavior.

The plan is part of a charm offensive aimed at repairing the country's international reputation after the deepening crisis in Iraq and damaging revelations of the mistreatment of Iraqi prisoners by U.S. forces at the Abu Ghraib prison.

"American athletes find themselves in extraordinary circumstances in Athens in relation to the world as we know it right now," said Mike Moran, a veteran former spokesman for the United States Olympic Committee who has been retained as a consultant to advise athletes how to behave.

"Regardless of whether there is anti-American sentiment in Athens or not, the world watches Americans a lot now in terms of how they behave and our culture. What I am trying to do with the athletes and coaches is to suggest to them that they consider how the normal things they do at an event, including the Olympics, might be viewed as confrontational or insulting or cause embarrassment."

Four years ago at the Sydney Olympics, members of the victorious American 400-meter relay team were widely condemned for strutting with the U.S. flag after their gold medal presentation. American officials, mindful of the country's precarious standing in world opinion, are desperate to avoid any repeat.

"Unfortunately, using the flag as a prop or a piece of apparel or indulging in boasting behavior is becoming part of our society in sport because every night on TV we see our athletes — professional, college or otherwise — taunting their opponents and going face-to-face with each other," Mr. Moran said. "We are trying for 17 days to break that culture.

"What I am telling the athletes is, 'Don't run over and grab a flag and take it round the track with you.' It's not business as usual for American athletes. If a Kenyan or a Russian grabs their national flag and runs round the track or holds it high over their heads, it might not be viewed as confrontational. Where we are in the world right now, an American athlete doing that might be viewed in another manner."

Mr. Moran added that the behavior of British athletes could face similar scrutiny in Athens, though the British Olympic Association insists there are no plans to ban them from celebrating with the Union flag.

"It's up to every athlete how he or she wishes to celebrate their Olympic success, and there are no plans to issue any instructions," a spokesman for the association said. "We are confident that every athlete will celebrate in a responsible way."

The USOC's anxiety at overexuberant displays of jingoism is a far cry from scenes at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, where the American flag became the defining symbol of the Games.

A different environment awaits the American team in Athens, where officials are anxious to replace apple pie with humble pie.

Americans were booed at the World Athletics Championships in Paris last year largely because of Jon Drummond's histrionic protest at his disqualification from a heat of the 100 meters. Also, at an Olympic soccer qualifying match in Mexico earlier this year, the American team was subjected to sustained razzing by a section of the crowd, including chants of "Osama, Osama!"

"We're not the favorite kid in the world right now," conceded Bill Martin, the USOC's acting president. "We are sensitive not only to the security issue, but to jingoism in its raw sense. That is why we are sending people around to educate the athletes as to the appropriate behavior."

Ally_Kat
05-17-2004, 12:03 PM
So every other country invovled can take their flag and kiss it, or run down the track with it, but we can't because if we do it it's being rude? I don't get that...

Does that mean we can't be apart of that lil show and dance in the beginning either where the teams come out and they wave the flag because that too is us shoving our country in every one else's face and being rude? :rolleyes:

alexpgrimes
05-17-2004, 12:17 PM
They could take the flag from the losing country and wipe their ass with it. I'd pay to see that...lol

Phil theStalker
05-17-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
U.S. athletes told to cool it at Olympics

By Simon Zion Fart
LONDON SUNDAY TELEGRAPH

NEW YORK — American athletes have been warned...appropriate behavior."
Man, it took a long time and a lot of words for that Zionist Simon to get to "appropriate behavior."

I'll explain what the WORLD means to a young 19 year old like yourself who doesn't know the past.

The world is telling YOU, honey, that the U.S.A. is now the new Nazis and the new Soviets in Afganistan.

But hey now, if you're watching "Eddie" making plans for going on tour the world MUST be safe, right. "Eddie's" not out-of-touch.

Come on, a "party band" guitar player who never had a political thought in his life could be out-of-touch. Before you reply, I already know I must be the one who's crazy. :)

Ally_Kat
05-17-2004, 12:54 PM
Even the Nazis got to have fun in the Olympics

Ally_Kat
05-17-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Phil theStalker

I'll explain what the WORLD means to a young 19 year old like yourself who doesn't know the past.

And wtf was that about. :rolleyes: I'm slightly offended.

lucky wilbury
05-17-2004, 12:59 PM
all those other countries will be seeing a lot of the stars and strips when it's raised to the rafters after the USA wins gold. any medal count predictions?

John Ashcroft
05-17-2004, 01:01 PM
Interesting that a 19 year old understands that the "rest of the world" can go fuck itself if their views run counter to our national security, yet you, the "mature" one would rather subvert security simply to be liked.

You weren't liked very much in High School, were you...

Phil theStalker
05-17-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
Interesting that a 19 year old understands that the "rest of the world" can go fuck itself if their views run counter to our national security, yet you, the "mature" one would rather subvert security simply to be liked.

You weren't liked very much in High School, were you...
And how have I subverted security?:)

High school. I received (did not apply) a 4 year scholarship to Philips Andover Academy. If you're mature enough to know what that means. I turned the scholarship down, because I didn't want to move and live away from my family from the 9-12 grades.

Man, the CIA would have loved me if I'd done that. Turn my back on my family at such a young age. Go to Yale and on to Skull & Bones. They'd have a job for me...enslaving YOU.:)

The opportunity was there for me to be your master. Now instead I am your brother trying to help you.

Try to be smart when you post, Sesh.:)

Ally_Kat
05-17-2004, 01:17 PM
so going away to a boarding school is turning your back on your family?

Phil theStalker
05-17-2004, 01:27 PM
so going away to a boarding school is turning your back on your family?
Yes. And, turning your back on the goodtimes you've had with your friends you've grown up with in your neighborhood, leaving your bestfriends. I didn't want to leave home. What's so hard to figure out about that?

When you're 13 you don't know what a Philips Academy education can mean as a stepping stone to Yale and the New World Order.

At least I know Rockefeller's goons noticed my above excellent grades. I like said, I didn't apply for this scholarship. I was "observed" and "chosen. And, who has the money and the needs to "observe" the "kinds of people" that they want and they need to bring in the New World Order? I am "the chosen one." And I thumbed my young nose at them and stayed with my family. That might be called Love. It might be called Fear. Whatever, I didn't go to the New World Order. You should be happy for that.:D

Ally_Kat
05-17-2004, 01:49 PM
so according to your logic, millions upon millions of college kids turn their backs on family and friends each enrollment.

I'm sorry, I find that a little hard to swallow. I have friends who go to school all over the country and overseas now. We talk each night thru the internet and snail mail. I'm still very much apaprt of their lives and when they come home for breaks, it's the same old gang.

If the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn't think twice about accepting. It was a great opportunity. I don't know what kind of family and friends you have, but mine always support me and encourage me to take the opportunities that might help better my life, even if it means less time hanging around the block.

Phil theStalker
05-17-2004, 02:02 PM
so according to your logic, millions upon millions of college kids turn their backs on family and friends each enrollment.
College kids?! Didn't you first say "high school," and didn't I reply to you about when I was "13?" YOU CAN'T STAY FOCUSED. That's why I got the scholarship to Philips and you didn't get squat, sister.:)

Enjoy life. Why worry about why you do not understand? Think of the Greeks and their Olympics. Don't think about the Spartans (Greeks) and the feeble born babies they threw off the cliffs. Don't think about it.

Think about "Eddie.":D

There you go!

Do you have your tickets yet? They're playing in my hometown and they can't sellout the little arena (18,000). I think they've sold 3,500 tickets. They're advertising it all over TV. Well, VH is dead.:)

Ally_Kat
05-17-2004, 02:27 PM
Dude, I know you were talking about high school and I was bring it to college. I was using logic. You know, a = b, b=c, therefore a = c type stuff. I was being focused. I'm sorry my point went over your head. So basically what you were saying that it's only turning your back on them all if you go away for high school.

And you know nothing about me academically Phil, or what classes i was taking when, so I would stop with that. ;)

What does Eddie touring have to do with the article I posted? And you say I have a problem keeping focused? If you're looking for sheep you might want to check out main.

Phil theStalker
05-17-2004, 02:37 PM
Dude, I know you were talking about high school and I was bring it to college...
You want to sleep with me. That's what this is all about. I'm a stud.:)

Ally_Kat
05-17-2004, 02:44 PM
oh yeah, you got me. I can hardly contain myself. Take me, take me now [/sarcasm]

:rolleyes:

Cathedral
05-17-2004, 05:55 PM
Um, ok, now back to the topic at hand....lol.

If we cannot participate like the other countries in the celebrations i say we don't even go to the Olympics. that shit is sooooo over rated it is not even close to being funny.

And this crap where Americans aren't allowed to throw their victorious clinched fist into the air because it will incite a fucking riot is total bullshit.
Why in the fuck are we taking so many pussified stances on shit in this country these days?
Fuck every damn one of them who can't deal with our country, I see it as their problem, not ours.

So, if we have to deal with restrictions i say blow the shit off, we don't need no stinkin medals to prove we're #1...

Cathedral
05-17-2004, 05:59 PM
oh yeah, you got me. I can hardly contain myself. Take me, take me now [/sarcasm]

:rolleyes:

ROTMFFLMMFAO... You're so cute when your being sarcastic. I love it...

Big Troubles
05-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Um, ok, now back to the topic at hand....lol.

If we cannot participate like the other countries in the celebrations i say we don't even go to the Olympics. that shit is sooooo over rated it is not even close to being funny.

And this crap where Americans aren't allowed to throw their victorious clinched fist into the air because it will incite a fucking riot is total bullshit.
Why in the fuck are we taking so many pussified stances on shit in this country these days?
Fuck every damn one of them who can't deal with our country, I see it as their problem, not ours.

So, if we have to deal with restrictions i say blow the shit off, we don't need no stinkin medals to prove we're #1...

Well, I agree. You guys never needed gold medals to "think" you were number 1 before. Why change that? :D
I think a few simple rules like not throwing your fist in the air is pretty petty. So why not oblige? Sad that the US would want to make a big out of this to begin with. Throw the javelin, jump the raised bar and run the track. Its sports. Its not the celebratory affects that occur afterwards.

Big Troubles
05-17-2004, 06:15 PM
BTW, the topic at hand was boring...thats why it changed in mid thread. ;)

Cathedral
05-17-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
Well, I agree. You guys never needed gold medals to "think" you were number 1 before. Why change that? :D
I think a few simple rules like not throwing your fist in the air is pretty petty. So why not oblige? Sad that the US would want to make a big out of this to begin with. Throw the javelin, jump the raised bar and run the track. Its sports. Its not the celebratory affects that occur afterwards.

Right, it is pretty petty so i see no reason to oblige. I'm not gonna get into a US vs. Canada debate or a session in pointing out how much our two countries hate each other because there simply is no point in it. America and Canada need each other economically.
I respect all people until i have a reason not to and geography or political agendas are not part of the scenario, so enough of that, lol.

My point is that the Olympics aren't worth all the hype and the judging is subjective anyway for all countries. and if the US has to play by a different set of rules than everyone else because of how they "view" us, it isn't really worth it for a stupid piece of gold that we don't need.
Now if Nascar Racing were an event? I might think differently because i am simply not a sports fan in general.

Cathedral
05-17-2004, 07:07 PM
BTW, the topic at hand was boring...thats why it changed in mid thread. ;)

Well, there is this little button that says New Topic, and what it does is allow people to start a thread of their own that may be more interesting to them, lol.

I'm not being bitchy, i'm just tired...It's been a long day.

Roth On, my Northern Broham!

Big Troubles
05-17-2004, 08:36 PM
yeah I was just jerking around a bit too. I agree with most of what you said, but the idea that everyone else will be following these rules, NOT JUST the states, suggests that no one else(internationally) really cares. so why America? ;)

Cathedral
05-17-2004, 09:27 PM
That is a good question...I know for a fact that i am surrounded by a bunch of anal retentive asshole mother fuckers down here.

We're not all bad, but those numbers drop daily because of this Political Correctness bullshit.

I do think that the maturity level in Washington is at an all time low.
If we had a President that everyone liked, respected and trusted we'd be a great nation once again.
but with two parties that are constantly at each others throats bitching an crying about every move either party makes when in power does more to cut our own throats than anything else.

I think i am becoming more of a moderate on political issues and drifting ever so slowly out of my conservative position.
I want change, decent change, but with the choices we have right now it will be 4 fucking years before a candidate i can feel confident in supporting will even have a chance to run, if that person even exists at all.

Fuck, I'm on the fence about the future of America...

Ally_Kat
05-17-2004, 10:19 PM
yeah I was just jerking around a bit too. I agree with most of what you said, but the idea that everyone else will be following these rules, NOT JUST the states, suggests that no one else(internationally) really cares. so why America? ;)

um...where does it say this applies to all the athletes? It says Americans are being told not to and the British *might* be.

ELVIS
05-17-2004, 10:55 PM
Whatever...

This issue is total bullshit and it won't happen...

Wave the American Freak Flag HIGH !!!

:elvis: