PDA

View Full Version : The Dance The Night Away riff,,,was it inspired by

Howlin' Wolf
01-10-2008, 12:54 AM
Anybody here hear what I'm hurrin'?

Baby's On Fire
02-06-2009, 11:06 PM
There's an interview segment somewhere where Dave was inspired to make a song that sounded like Fleetwood Mac. That song was DTNA.

chefcraig
02-06-2009, 11:23 PM
More than anything, I believe the tune came out of EVH bangin' his fingers on some upper-neck harmonics and trying to make some linear sense out of the byproduct. While doinking about, he came up with a melody, and that fueled the idea for a tune, which Roth astutely caught onto by fleshing out with wordplay. Crap, sometimes the simplest ideas are the most agreeable, and more often than not, the best.

All in all, the end result wasn't that bad, ya know? http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/musik/music-smiley-004.gif

vaijuju
05-13-2009, 01:34 PM
There's an interview segment somewhere where Dave was inspired to make a song that sounded like Fleetwood Mac. That song was DTNA.

Dance the Night Away (3:04)
"Dance the Night Away" became Van Halen's first Top 15 hit, in July of 1979. The song came together one afternoon in the studio as the boys were standing in a circle humming at each other. It was inspired by Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way." Eddie purposely left out a guitar solo in the final version. The song's early title was "Dance Lolita Dance," but Eddie convinced Dave that "Dance the Night Away" was a more suitable title, hence the band changed the chorus. Al identified this song as one of his two least favorite Van Halen tracks.

From classicvh.com

if6was9
05-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Al identified this song as one of his two least favorite Van Halen tracks.
Cowbell rulez! :biggrin:

sadaist
05-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Al identified this song as one of his two least favorite Van Halen tracks.

Stupid Al. This is one of my favorite Van Halen songs. From the classic Eddie riff intro, cowbell, great chorus, and Dave always gets really into this song. Always a crowd pleaser. Just listen & watch the crowd sing along after Dave's dancing shtick at about the 1:57 mark. Something about being in an arena with 20,000 people all singing every word to a song that is really cool. Music is supposed to make people happy, and this song nails it right on the head.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UYIEAIeKKx0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UYIEAIeKKx0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

riggodrill44
05-14-2009, 09:30 PM
I agree with sadaist. This song has grown on me over time... when I was younger... SGMD, DOA and Light Up the Sky were my favorites on VHII. Still love those songs but Dance the Night Away gets me feeling happy every time I hear it. A highlight of the 07-08 tour... everyone singing the chorus during the breakdown.

I still think Beautiful Girls defines the band. If someone asked what song best describes VH, I'd say Beautiful Girls... though I'm the One is still my favorite VH song of all time. Still can make the hair on my arm stand up on end.

kwame k
05-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Just because........

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/amTTucWPznc&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/amTTucWPznc&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Diamondjimi
10-08-2009, 07:24 PM
I've always preferred this tempo live, more energy.jmo...

VAiN
10-08-2009, 11:46 PM
What I saw them on the past tour, EVERYONE sang the chorus to this and Beautiful Girls. It was nuts.. I was really impressed with it... Not my favs, but after hearing them live I have a whole new appreciation for them!

Panamark
10-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Great Pop song !

GO-SPURS-GO
10-10-2009, 02:44 AM
Greatest song ever recorded! :rockin:

Terry
10-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Don't really hear the Rip This Joint comparison...

Have always been kinda ho-hum about this tune. Well-crafted, but just a bit too pop for my tastes in terms of what the best of the band represented to me.

I mean, the VH stuff that really sparks a charge in me are tracks like Sinner's Swing!...or Romeo Delight. Stuff like Big Bad Bill I can appreciate because of the diversity and humor factor. DTNA, on record at least, is just a bit TOO calculated...a bit too safe. Am not saying it sucks. It's just that the best of the band on record had that aura and ability of being able to transfer the energy and intensity of their live work onto vinyl. DTNA didn't really make it in this respect.