PDA

View Full Version : Marines To "Surge" in Afghanistan

Nickdfresh
01-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Afghanistan Welcomes US Deployment Plans

By FISNIK ABRASHI – 2 hours ago

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — Afghanistan welcomed Pentagon plans to send an additional 3,000 U.S. Marines to the country's volatile south in April, although it said Thursday the long-term solution is to bolster Afghan forces.

Defense Ministry spokesman Gen. Mohammed Zahir Azimi said the deployment — still to be approved by Defense Secretary Robert Gates — would help combat Taliban insurgents. But Azimi added the long-term solution was to boost the fighting strength of Afghanistan's own army.

"Afghan security forces will be the force that will remain in Afghanistan and protect its peace and security, as well as defend the country," Azimi said.

On Wednesday, Pentagon Press Secretary Geoff Morrell said that a proposal set to go before Gates on Friday would send a ground and air Marine contingent and a Marine battalion — totaling more than 3,000 troops — to southern Afghanistan for a "one-time, seven-month deployment."

The U.S. had previously said it would not provide the extra troops.

Many other NATO nations — facing public opposition at home to deeper involvement — have refused to fill the need for as many as 7,500 extra troops that commanders on the ground have asked for.

Afghanistan experienced a record level of violence in 2007, with more than 6,500 people killed, according to an Associated Press count based on figures from Western and Afghan officials.

In the latest violence, a NATO vehicle struck a mine in southern Afghanistan on Wednesday, killing a soldier and wounding another, said Maj. Charles Anthony, a spokesman for NATO's International Security Assistance Force. The nationalities of the soldiers were not disclosed.

Currently, there are about 27,000 U.S. troops in Afghanistan, including 14,000 with the NATO-led coalition. The other 13,000 U.S. troops are training Afghan forces and hunting al-Qaida terrorists.

Morrell said the Marine ground and air contingent would be put in place to prevent a spring Taliban offensive, and the Marine battalion would likely be used to train Afghan forces.

The U.S. and its allies are stepping up their training of Afghanistan's security forces, with a particular focus on its troubled police force, which is often accused of corruption.

The Afghan army will reach its target of 70,000 troops by the end of 2008, U.S. officials say.

Hosted by Google (http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jf3HwxkxvVg9ULym8JLcSviN0mdgD8U30JJ81)
Copyright © 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

LoungeMachine
01-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Obviously we learned nothing from the Soviets with regards to Afghanistan....

And what has our installed "Mayor of Kabul" done?

Anybody have any clear idea of what our "mission" in Afghanistan is nowadays?

Destroying the Taliban? Nope, lost that one.

Finding Bin Laden? Nope, can't do it.

Eradicating the Poppy Fields? Nope, bigger than ever in history

Can ANYBODY tell me what we're still doing in Afghanistan?

BITEYOASS
01-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Now that I've been out of the USMC, the only surges I have are the ones in my pants. LOL :D

LoungeMachine
01-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
Now that I've been out of the USMC, the only surges I have are the ones in my pants. LOL :D

Technically only a "skirmish" from what I hear. :D

:gulp:

Nitro Express
01-10-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm hoping to surge inside some pussy later tonight. You know. Grow it big, ram it in, and blast away! :D

hideyoursheep
01-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS

Overwhelming force is the best way to go.:p

BITEYOASS
01-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Maybe I should file for disability, because I nearly go deaf from her screams. Because my strategy involves performing a phallic formation on the g-spot, with a guaranteed victory every time. :D

hideyoursheep
01-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Obviously we learned nothing from the Soviets with regards to Afghanistan.... This is a very different situation.
The Soviets wanted to live there. No one outside of the Iron Curtain
supported that invasion.

Anybody have any clear idea of what our "mission" in Afghanistan is nowadays? Same as Iraq....only without the WMD's and oil. Maybe the "oil" is the poppies.

Destroying the Taliban? Nope, lost that one.
Giving them a headstart didn't help. I know they don't run Afghanistan
anymore, and if they wanna come back???...

We're still there.

Finding Bin Laden? Nope, can't do it.

"Can't", or "won't"? Bin Laden is a comic book villan- A billionaire that
lives in a cave with a cellphone and wants to destroy the world.
You think Paki's are gonna fuck with him?
Hells no!

Can ANYBODY tell me what we're still doing in Afghanistan?

Because most of our efforts have been focused on Iraq, and that Paki
Pres. is too much of a cunt to let us take care of it inside his own borders, since he won't do it himself.

LoungeMachine
01-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Here's something to seriously consider....

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/fallen/afghanistan/

hideyoursheep
01-12-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Here's something to seriously consider....

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/fallen/afghanistan/

Since we are talking about the Afghan theater, here's something we sometimes forget.

01-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Please send the marines to Birmingham in the Uk, to free Britney Spears from bin Laden`s men.

hideyoursheep
01-13-2008, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by 113
Please send the marines to Birmingham in the Uk, to free Britney Spears from bin Laden`s men.

3rd Para could handle that in about 5 minutes.

hideyoursheep
01-13-2008, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by 113
Please send the marines to Birmingham in the Uk, to free Bin Laden's men from Britney Spears.

Yeah. That, too.