PDA

View Full Version : LMAO - Bush Calls For End To Occupation of Arab Land

LoungeMachine
01-10-2008, 12:15 PM
'Israel doesn't have an image problem. It has an aggressive settlement expansion problem'

Bush: Palestinian state, reparations solution for refugees
By ASSOCIATED PRESS

"I believe we need to look to the establishment of a Palestinian state and new international mechanisms, including compensation, to resolve the refugee issue," US President George W. Bush said Thrusday.

Bush also called for the end of the "occupation" of Arab land by the IDF.

Summing up meetings with both sides on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, Bush said a peace accord would require "painful political concessions by both sides."

He offered no specifics to resolve the fact of disputed Jerusalem, but urged both sides to work toward a solution in what he said could be the most difficult issue to settle in a long list of difficult issues.

"I know Jerusalem is a tough issue," Bush said. "Both sides have deeply felt political and religious concerns."

"It is vital that each side understands that satisfying the other's fundamental objectives is key to a successful agreement," the president said. "Security for Israel and viability for the Palestinian state are in the mutual interests of both parties."

Bush said that disputed territory must be mutually negotiated, but said "any agreement will require adjustments" to the borders drawn for Israel under a 1949 armistice. He was referring to settlements Israel wants to keep when an independent Palestinian state is formed.

At the same time, Bush reiterated that any viable Palestinian state must be "contiguous," saying Palestinians deserve better than a "Swiss cheese" state.

"The point of departure for permanent status negotiations to realize this vision seems clear," he said. "There should be an end to the occupation that began in 1967. The agreement must establish a Palestine as a homeland for the Palestinian people just as Israel is a homeland for the Jewish people."

Meanwhile, Bush's national security adviser Stephen Hadley said the president would return to the Middle East "at least once and maybe more" over the next year. He wouldn't elaborate on possible destinations.

Bush also referred to an unexpected glimpse he got Thursday of the daily frustrations faced by Palestinians trying to move around the West Bank.

Due to heavy fog, Bush was driven from Jerusalem to Ramallah instead of taking a helicopter. That meant he passed through a security checkpoint, and drove within sight of the Israeli security fence that Palestinians call an unacceptable wall.

"My whole motorcade of a mere 45 cars was able to make it through without being stopped," Bush later noted, "I'm not so sure that's what happens to the average person."

"I can understand why Palestinians would be frustrated driving through checkpoints," Bush said, immediately adding that he understands the Israeli position on why they are needed as a barrier to terrorists.

"They create a sense of security for Israel, they create massive frustration for the Palestinians," Bush said.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1199964891995&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

LoungeMachine
01-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

Summing up meetings with both sides on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, Bush said a peace accord would require "painful political concessions by both sides."

Good thing they're not waiting for the OIL LAW to be ratifed......

And Chimpy knows all about "painful political concessions", having made so many over the last 7 years. :rolleyes:

FORD
01-10-2008, 01:31 PM
If Israel had oil, they would be the next PNAC target.