PDA

View Full Version : NBC Pussies Fighting Kucinich over "Debate"

LoungeMachine
01-15-2008, 07:05 PM
January 15, 2008, 4:13 pm
NBC Fights to Keep Kucinich Out of Debate
By Brian Stelter

6:11 p.m. One hour after the Supreme Court hearing was scheduled to conclude and three hours before the debate was expected to begin, the court had yet to announce a decision, leaving it unclear whether Mr. Kucinich would participate in the debate.

4:13 p.m. MSNBC continues to promote tonight’s Democratic presidential candidate debate, while the cable news network’s parent company awaits a ruling from the Nevada Supreme Court that will determine whether the forum may proceed without Dennis Kucinich.
On Monday, prompted by Mr. Kucinich’s request for a temporary restraining order against NBC Universal, Nevada district court judge Charles Thompson issued an injunction stating that MSNBC could not proceed with the debate unless Mr. Kucinich was included.
In a petition to the state’s supreme court on Tuesday morning, NBC Universal requested an emergency hearing to review and vacate the judge’s injunction. Oral arguments were scheduled for 4:30 p.m. Eastern in Las Vegas. The hearing will last for 30 minutes.
The debate is scheduled to be shown on MSNBC at 9 p.m. Eastern. Hillary Rodham Clinton, Barack Obama and John Edwards are expected to attend.

In his ruling, Mr. Thompson found NBC to be in breach of contract because Mr. Kucinich was invited to the debate on Jan. 9, only to be disinvited shortly thereafter.

What changed? On Jan. 10, after two other Democratic candidates dropped out of the race, NBC revised its qualifying criteria for debate participants, requiring that invited candidates must have finished in the top three in either the Iowa caucus or the New Hampshire primary.
The revisions were “in no way designed to exclude any particular candidate based on his or her views,” wrote Chuck Todd, the political director for NBC News, in an affidavit to the Nevada Supreme Court. Instead, it represented “a good faith editorial choice of a privately-owned cable network to limit debate participants based on the status of their campaigns.”
Mr. Kucinich’s complaint argued that, without the inclusion of all “credible candidates,” the telecast would be “effectively an endorsement of the candidates selected by NBC” instead of an actual debate. He cited the public interest provisions of the Federal Communications Act of 1934.

Responding on Tuesday morning, attorneys for NBC Universal argued that state district courts lack the jurisdiction to decide complaints brought under the act “because exclusive jurisdiction resides with the Federal Communications Commission.” The attorneys also argued that because MSNBC is privately owned by General Electric the news network should be allowed to “proceed with tonight’s debate under the format chosen as part of its journalistic discretion.”
On MSNBC’s newscasts Tuesday, Mr. Kucinich’s complaints were referenced in passing.

“It won’t stop the debate. They’ll let Kucinich go on if they have to,” the host Joe Scarborough stated, before positioning the debate as a “fight night” in Las Vegas.

David Damore, an associate professor of political science at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, noted that the state’s previous Democratic debate, hosted by CNN on Nov. 15, included every candidate except for Mike Gravel.

“These situations create a real catch 22 for the candidates,” Mr. Damore said. “They don’t have much support, and they say they can’t get the support because the media won’t cover them. It creates a nasty circle for them.”

Mr. Kucinich has received 3 to 4 percent support in recent polls of likely Nevada caucus voters.
The flap was also the subject of discussion on the ABC daytime talk show “The View” Tuesday morning.

“What’s more surprising to me is that no one is screaming about the fact that people are trying to keep candidates out of these television debates,” the co-host Whoopi Goldberg said. “I thought it wasn’t until you had the nominee did everybody not have a shot.”
Co-host Elisabeth Hasselbeck agreed, saying: “We deserve as the citizens here to hear everyone. If someone thinks he’s going to stir the pot and cause problems, we should see how these candidates deal with that. I want to see them dealing with Kucinich and his questions and ideas. I think that’s fair.”

Mr. Kucinich, widely considered a long-shot candidate, was also excluded from an ABC debate in New Hampshire earlier in the month.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/15/nbc-appeals-ruling-on-adding-kucinich-to-debate/?hp

Blackflag
01-15-2008, 07:52 PM
To quote Bell, "what a bunch of pimps."

LoungeMachine
01-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Art?

Haven't listened to him in years...

We had an Art Bell thread in here some time ago.....

Didnt his wife die recently?

back on topic........NBC PREVAILS OVER DEMOCRACY

assholes.

:gulp:

FORD
01-15-2008, 08:51 PM
MSNBC's "political director" Chuck Todd is an obvious DLC/AIPAC tool.

Last week he bashed Howard Dean and John Edwards within 48 hours of each other, now this bullshit. It's obvious that he represents the corporatists who want to present the illusion of a two-person race.

I'm hoping Dennis wins the Michigan primary, which will make him the goddamned front runner (delegates or not) and then they'll no longer have any excuses to exclude him.

And Edwards is looking good in the Nevada caucus on Saturday.

This primary ain't fucking over by a long shot.

Blackflag
01-15-2008, 09:03 PM
I was talking about the Bell from the paper chase. But back on topic...

These debates should be run by an independent 3rd party or by the government...instead of the media and the 2 parties, like currently.

But I suspect if they were fair and balanced that the two parties would not participate.

And to Ford - as much as it burns my ass to say it, the primaries are over. Obama won one and Hillary won one, and the remaining sheep with pick from those two.

twonabomber
01-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by FORD
[B]
I'm hoping Dennis wins the Michigan primary, which will make him the goddamned front runner (delegates or not) and then they'll no longer have any excuses to exclude him.

sometimes hope is all one has.

there are few Clevelanders who think Kucinich ever had a chance...and at this point, i'd be surprised if he held on to his other position.

Nickdfresh
01-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Support for Kucinich or no, it's pretty shitty for NBC to dump him.

Who the fuck are these dipshits to "filter" and distill the political debate?

LoungeMachine
01-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Blackflag
I

These debates should be run by an independent 3rd party or by the government...instead of the media and the 2 parties, like currently.

Now look who's talking in "pot head wet dreams"

;)

They should be run by us [government], but then again we should take back the whole fucking system....

And they CAN be run by "3rd party" groups, but no one would air them [other than pbs / cspan]

It should be part of your FCC Licensing that you air debates featuring all viable [ dont ask me how to define it] candidates, as well as campaign ads FOR FREE

We have set it up so groups/candidates can basically BUY nominations/elections.

Lobby Reform
Election Reform.

Aint NOTHING changing until we have BOTH. :mad:

It's all just a sham at this point.

FUCK YOU NBC.

Blackflag
01-16-2008, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

And they CAN be run by "3rd party" groups, but no one would air them [other than pbs / cspan]

as well as campaign ads FOR FREE

So what if they're on pbs...if people want to see it, they'll watch it.

How about no ads at all? There is never anything useful in them.

Then if you want to find a candidate, you actually have to go and read something.

knuckleboner
01-16-2008, 10:13 AM

It should be part of your FCC Licensing that you air debates featuring all viable [ dont ask me how to define it] candidates, as well as campaign ads FOR FREE

i like part 1 quite a bit. (though, yes, the definition of "viable" will be difficult. but it's not as if the current system we ARE using is simplistic...)

part 2 is a little more iffy. in general, i like campaign ads for free, but really, that has the potential to free the big money guys to use their money for additional saturation using their own funds.

personally, i'd do it like this: X amount of free campaign ads in generally acceptable (yep, we have to define that, too...;)) timeslots. however, if a campaign voluntarialy agrees to accept these ads, they also agree to not use any of their own funds (or at least agree to a specified limit) for additional television ads.

LoungeMachine
01-16-2008, 10:27 AM
I'm still for NO PRIVATE funds for campaigns.

Each candidate given same $$ amount from public funding to spend.

Can't budget it correctly? Then you have no business runing for office, chimp.

There is no perfect solution / magic bullet here.

But the fucking sham we have now is a joke.

Let me know who wins, I'll be in the bar :gulp:

LoungeMachine
01-16-2008, 10:59 AM

knuckleboner
01-16-2008, 12:14 PM
well, for THAT you'd probably need a constitutional amendment. free speech stuff and all.

which, is why i think you COULD get around that by saying that you can get the free ads, but you have to agree not to spend any private funds on ads.

ace diamond
01-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Art?

Haven't listened to him in years...

We had an Art Bell thread in here some time ago.....

Didnt his wife die recently?

back on topic........NBC PREVAILS OVER DEMOCRACY

assholes.

sad, isn't it?
our once great democracy is now an autocracy.

Blackflag
01-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by ace diamond
sad, isn't it?
our once great democracy is now an autocracy.

Autocracy?

I thought you were dead...

ace diamond
01-16-2008, 05:35 PM
well, that's what you get for thought'n!

Nickdfresh
01-16-2008, 06:48 PM
I think the the word you're looking for is plutacracy. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutocracy)

ace diamond
01-16-2008, 06:53 PM
yes, nick.that was the proper word. thank you.