PDA

View Full Version : Huckabee: Amend Constitution to be in 'God's standards'

FORD
01-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Huckabee: Amend Constitution to be in 'God's standards'
01/15/2008 @ 7:31 am
Filed by David Edwards and Muriel Kane

The United States Constitution never uses the word "God" or makes mention of any religion, drawing its sole authority from "We the People." However, Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee thinks it's time to put an end to that.

"I have opponents in this race who do not want to change the Constitution," Huckabee told a Michigan audience on Monday. "But I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living god. And that's what we need to do -- to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards so it lines up with some contemporary view."

When Willie Geist reported Huckabee's opinion on MSNBC's Morning Joe, co-host Mika Brzezinski was almost speechless, and even Joe Scarborough couldn't immediately find much to say beyond calling it "interesting,"

Scarborough finally suggested that while he believes "evangelicals should be able to talk politics ... some might find that statement very troubling, that we're going to change the Constitution to be in line with the Bible. And that's all I'm going to say."

Geist further noted of Huckabee that if "someone without his charm," said that, "he'd be dismissed as a crackpot, but he's Mike Huckabee and he's bascially the front-runner."

Link (http://rawstory.com//printstory.php?story=8879)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/onHkywYc_1M&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/onHkywYc_1M&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

FORD
01-17-2008, 10:30 AM
I seem to remember the Living God saying that His kingdom was "not of this world". I guess Pastor Mike must have skipped that chapter.

Guitar Shark
01-17-2008, 11:17 AM
It's kind of ironic that the Colbert Report is actually helping Huckabee's campaign. I doubt Steven intended that...

knuckleboner
01-17-2008, 11:21 AM
what the hell? you call out Jesus in the subject and He doesn't post?...

but...to me, huckabee's statement sounds like he's pimping the marriage amendment. i can see that playing well with the bible-belters and not really being too upsetting to a decent amount of independents.

otherwise, i really can't see what he's talking about.

jhale667
01-17-2008, 01:56 PM
Oh, fer cryin' out loud...:mad:

Little Texan
01-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Wouldn't that be in violation of the separation of church and state? Is he suggesting that we turn our democracy into a theocracy, such as Iran, but instead of being based on Islamic law, it would be based on Christian law?

ace diamond
01-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I seem to remember the Living God saying that His kingdom was "not of this world". I guess Pastor Mike must have skipped that chapter. :lol: :asshole:

Coyote
01-17-2008, 04:10 PM
And of course, one begs the question: "Which God?"

ODShowtime
01-17-2008, 05:50 PM
At least this makes it easy to write him off as someone to vote for.

jhale667
01-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
At least this makes it easy to write him off as someone to vote for.

True. He completely disqualified himself with that one...

FORD
01-18-2008, 01:44 AM
Not in the Bible Belt, he didn't.

ODShowtime
01-18-2008, 06:45 AM
And that's what we need to do -- to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards so it lines up with some contemporary view."

It's funny how he looks at a 200 year-old document and sees it as "some contemporary view."

I guess when he talks about "God's standards" he's refering to Leviticus? Shit, no more football with old huckabee around...

jhale667
01-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Not in the Bible Belt, he didn't.

No, you're right - he pretty much secured the religious whacko vote with that one,
but any sane person who understands the concept of (and NEED for) separation of church and state just completely wrote him off. :mad:

Steve Savicki
01-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Coyote
And of course, one begs the question: "Which God?"
And what are the standards?

Nitro Express
01-18-2008, 02:56 PM
The founding fathers never wanted a theocracy. They were escaping from that bullshit. Not to mention some like Ben Franklin chased young ass and hung at the Hellfire Club.

What the country needs to go back to is the old Constitution that gives everyone the same basic rights regardless of religion or race. It allows you the freedom to worship how you want and the polite people keep their religion to themselves. It's the money whores that sell religion and pester others with it.

Nitro Express
01-18-2008, 03:02 PM
That's all we need. Some religious nut getting into the White House and using the Patriot Act to shove religion up our ass.

I don't want Romney or Huckfuck. McCain? Nope. Hillary? Hell No! Obama? Well, the greenhorn couldn't fuck up anymore than the monkey has.

Little Texan
01-19-2008, 01:43 AM
This statement by Huckabee, along with the "Fair" Tax proposal that he's pushing makes him too much of a radical to even be considered for the nomination, now. While it would be great to be able to get rid of the IRS, it's insane to even think of adding a 23% tax to all goods and services...it just wouldn't work. Poor folks already have a hard enough time buying food and gas with the way inflation is now without a 23% tax added on top of it, and I should know, I'm one of those poor folks! It wouldn't effect the rich, but it would hurt the poor, tremendously. As for wanting to radically change the Constitution to meet god's standards, that is just beyond crazy! Hello, Huckabee, not everyone shares your religious beliefs and not everyone believes in your god! That guy just drove in the death nail to his campaign with that statement!

Little Texan
01-19-2008, 02:41 AM
None of these candidates running are worth a shit! Fuck it, I'm voting for Mr. Grimsdale on the Popgear Party ticket!

Nitro Express
01-19-2008, 04:48 AM
Ron Paul is labeled as a radicle and all he wants to do is hold up all legislation against the US Constitution to see if it's constitutional. Plus, he's the only politician that understands and is honest about central banking fraud. The Federal Reserve puts the value of our money in the hands of a few people instead of the world market. This is where the people lost their politicians because the few that control the money supply, buy the politicians. It happened in Europe first and then it happened in the US with the passing of the Federal Reserve Act. The same year the Federal Income Tax Act was passed.

Nitro Express
01-19-2008, 04:53 AM
The average US citizen would have more personal freedom if our currecy was based on a freetraded comodity or cluster of comodities. Gold and silver have been the traditional currency commodities.

I tire of the excuse that there isn't enough gold and silver. Bullshit, it just means smaller pieces of the pie are worth more. Five cents buys a hamburger instead of five dollars. The money becomes worth something again.

We could base our money on fucking. You could trade your dollars into the bank for the market value fuck from one of the Treasury Department's appointed whores. That's got to be worth something. Money can be based on anything of value.