PDA

View Full Version : Edwards to drop out? Guess I get to sleep in on caucus day

FORD
01-30-2008, 11:27 AM
John Edwards to Quit Presidential Race

By Dan Balz, Chris Cillizza and Howard Schneider
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, January 30, 2008; 11:17 AM

John Edwards will end his presidential bid today, a source close to his campaign confirmed, effectively narrowing the Democratic field to two contenders less than a week before the Super Tuesday round of primaries.

The former North Carolina senator is scheduled to speak in New Orleans this afternoon, an appearance originally billed as an anti-poverty speech but now expected to serve as the platform for ending a White House run that has been five years in the making.

Edwards, 54, the party's vice presidential nominee in 2004, has failed to win any of the Democratic primaries or caucuses so far, narrowly capturing second place in Iowa and finishing a distant third in his native South Carolina. However he has accumulated dozens of delegates in the process, and his backing could prove important to the remaining candidates.

Upon Edwards' withdrawal, the race between Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (N.Y.) and Sen. Barack Obama (Ill.) becomes historic, guaranteeing that a major party will nominate someone other than a white man for the nation's highest office. They will debate each other head-to-head for the first time on Thursday in California.

Former senator Mike Gravel is still running but has not attracted a wide following and has not participated in recent debates.

According to aides, Edwards will not endorse Clinton or Obama today and has no plans to weigh in for either candidate in the immediate future.

Edwards' withdrawal comes on a day when the nominating processes of both major parties drew into sharper focus. Following a third place finish in Florida's Republican primary yesterday, former New York mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani is expected to quit the race as well. That leaves Sen. John McCain (Ariz.), former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney and former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee battling for the GOP nomination.

Edwards launched his campaign a year ago, also in New Orleans, where the slow rebuilding following Hurricane Katrina formed a fitting symbol for the issues around which he built his campaign. He focused on issues of poverty and economic inequality, couched in language of the "two Americas."

In summoning the media back to New Orleans today, he referred to poverty as "the great moral issue of our time."

His bid for the White House included a compelling personal drama as well, when he and his wife Elizabeth announced in March that the campaign would continue despite the return of her breast cancer.

According to a tally kept by the Associated Press, Edwards has accumulated 56 delegates to the Democratic convention in Denver, of nearly 500 awarded in the first primaries and caucuses.

After Saturday's disappointing finish in South Carolina, he said he was buoyed by recent fundraising successes and intended to continue his battle through Super Tuesday, even launching an ad blitz in 10 states participating in the mega-primary. As of yesterday, Edwards put out a full campaign agenda, including a scheduled address to the Georgia Democratic party this evening and participation in the Democratic debate in California tomorrow.

Though aides remained surprised at the decision, Edwards acknowledged that he was facing an uphill battle.

"To win the nomination, I've got to win a contest, of course," Edwards told the AP after South Carolina. "At some point, we have to get to the place where either the thing is deadlocked, which is a real possibility, or we're accumulating more delegates."

Uncertainty about his viability has built in recent weeks, as he failed to make inroads on his chief rivals. Last weekend, as fundraisers for Obama and Clinton trolled for support at a convention of trial lawyers -- a group that has raised millions of dollars for Edwards -- some of the Edwards faithful wondered quietly whether he might be offered a prime cabinet position in an eventual Democratic administration.

"I sure would hope there will be a role for him," said C. Gibson Vance, a Montgomery, Ala., trial lawyer who has been a longtime friend and supporter of Edwards. "He would be a heck of a tough attorney general. Think about it."

Staff writers Debbi Wilgoren and Peter Whoriskey contributed to this report.

Raise your glass to the hard working people
Let's drink to the uncounted heads
Let's think of the wavering millions
Who need leaders but get gamblers instead

Spare a thought for the stay-at-home voter
His empty eyes gaze at strange beauty shows
And a parade of the gray suited grafters
A choice of cancer or polio - Jagger/Richards

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kvVm0UW3-XE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kvVm0UW3-XE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

ELVIS
01-30-2008, 12:05 PM
C'mon FORD...

You knew Edwards was never a viable candidate...

FORD
01-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Why the Hell not? Only 6 fucking states have voted, and two of them don't count, thanks to the DLC screwing themselves.

Why the fuck do Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, and South Carolina get to pick my candidate?

Edwards ran into the exact same problem Howard Dean did. He named corporatism as his enemy, and the Corporate Whore Media turned on him.

Lqskdiver
01-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Blame it on the candidate for once. It's all about the message. Sure, there's a chance for "firsties" here with a popular Black and a woman running here. But it's not the first time that we've had that siteation. It's all about the message and presence. It is a popularity contest on who would best lead. Edwards doesn't have it.

Neither did Dean.

Guitar Shark
01-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
C'mon FORD...

You knew Edwards was never a viable candidate...

Eh, I don't know about that. For what it's worth, I think he would have been a better candidate in the general election than either Hillary or Obama. Doesn't matter now, though.

My bet is on Obama to get the nomination, but I still think he will lose to the Republican nominee, whoever that is.

sadaist
01-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by FORD

Why the fuck do Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, and South Carolina get to pick my candidate?

100% agreed. The way the states vote s screwed up. Win one or two small states early & the media is all over you & the others fade out. Rudy really only lost one state (that he seemed to try for) and that was enough to get him out.

Too bad though. Edwards was the one Dem I didn't mind. At least he can spend time with his wife in dealing with her cancer.

FORD
01-30-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm about to make a very dark prediction here, and I take no joy in saying this, but I truly see it happening......

Obama will win a significant majority of the Supercalifracgilisticexpealidocius Tuesday pie next week. However, it will be a very short lived victory. Remember the California primary has been moved up to be part of this sweepstakes.

California primary.....the media is comparing Obama to JFK, RFK, and MLK.

You get it yet?

The other thing being circulated is the lie that Obama was raised Muslim. Of course it's completely untrue, but a lot of the 70% of sheeple who believed Saddam Hussein was involved in 9-11 will buy this shit. Hell, I've even heard one of my neighbors repeating this lie, and I live in a supposedly "enlightened liberal" town.

Of course, in fundamentalist Muslim cultures, there is a belief that "once a Muslim, always a Muslim, and that he who leaves the faith shall be put to death".

See where this is going yet?

You heard it here first. And the patsy will be "Iranian" this time. And I think we all know what comes after that..... :(

Nickdfresh
01-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
Eh, I don't know about that. For what it's worth, I think he would have been a better candidate in the general election than either Hillary or Obama. Doesn't matter now, though.

My bet is on Obama to get the nomination, but I still think he will lose to the Republican nominee, whoever that is.

I don't know. McCain is essentially hated by hard core conservatives, he may actually be little more than a speed bump to Obama. Hillery, that's a different question...

LoungeMachine
01-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I'm about to make a very dark prediction here, and I take no joy in saying this, but I truly see it happening......

Obama will win a significant majority of the Supercalifracgilisticexpealidocius Tuesday pie next week. However, it will be a very short lived victory. Remember the California primary has been moved up to be part of this sweepstakes.

California primary.....the media is comparing Obama to JFK, RFK, and MLK.

You get it yet?

The other thing being circulated is the lie that Obama was raised Muslim. Of course it's completely untrue, but a lot of the 70% of sheeple who believed Saddam Hussein was involved in 9-11 will buy this shit. Hell, I've even heard one of my neighbors repeating this lie, and I live in a supposedly "enlightened liberal" town.

Of course, in fundamentalist Muslim cultures, there is a belief that "once a Muslim, always a Muslim, and that he who leaves the faith shall be put to death".

See where this is going yet?

You heard it here first. And the patsy will be "Iranian" this time. And I think we all know what comes after that..... :(

Oliver Stone on line 2 for FORD.

FORD, line 2

:gulp:

FORD
01-30-2008, 03:10 PM
When it happens, don't say I didn't warn you :(

Meanwhile, I'll lighten up the dark assed mood around here a little. If you have never seen the movie "Election" look for the DVD. It's worth the rental. Or buy the thing if you can find it in the $7.99 bin at Costco.......

<embed src="http://services.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/271557392" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1377935786&playerId=271557392&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://services.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

WACF
01-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I don't know. McCain is essentially hated by hard core conservatives, he may actually be little more than a speed bump to Obama. Hillery, that's a different question...

I am quite surprised to see that McCain is not Conservative enough for some. You need both ends evident in the party to fully function.

But then...Clinton and Obama by Canadian standards are Moderate Conservatives.

Too bad about Edwards...I think he was the better choice.

Blackflag
01-30-2008, 09:04 PM
The democratic candidates are all placebos, except for Kucinich.

LoungeMachine
01-30-2008, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Blackflag
The democratic candidates are all placebos, except for Kucinich.

Who is no longer even a candidate.....

The whole system needs to be torn down and rebuilt

ELVIS
01-30-2008, 09:18 PM
At least FORD is batting zero on predictions around here...

:elvis:

Steve Savicki
01-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS You knew Edwards was never a viable candidate...
He had credibility up till that final day in 2004.

DLR'sCock
01-30-2008, 11:49 PM
He is a better candidate than the other two yayaaaazzz.....

If you turn on the multinationals that run the world, you will get fucked.....

FORD
01-31-2008, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
At least FORD is batting zero on predictions around here...

:elvis:

Well, if you wanna put it that way....

GO HILLARY!! :D

FORD
01-31-2008, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
He had credibility up till that final day in 2004.

Actually, it was Judas IsKerryot who threw in the towel in Ohio. Edwards wanted to keep fighting because he knew Uncle Tom Blackwell stole the election.

And Blackwell only pulled it off because that traitorous piece of shit James Carville told his cunt wife that Kerry was about to win Ohio. And of course Cunt Matalin reports directly to Darth Cheney....... you can figure out the rest.

knuckleboner
01-31-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

i totally agree. mccain will not really energize the conservative base. the hardcore democrats will vote for whatever democratic candidate because after 8 years of bush, they don't want another republican president.

and the more moderates will feel like obama isn't a super liberal to fear.

hillary, on the other hand, will be highly polarizing. she beats huckabee. maybe romney. mccain? hmmm...don't know...

LoungeMachine
01-31-2008, 10:42 AM
McCain will solve the not conservitive enough" lable by picking Huckleberry as hs VP

McCain Hukabee 08 will be formidable ticket

jhale667
01-31-2008, 01:05 PM
Who do you think Obama or Hilary would/will pick as running
mates? Can't see them merging as a ticket, but I guess it could happen, but who'd be top? :)

WACF
01-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

The whole system needs to be torn down and rebuilt

At times it seems our system with Convervatives, Liberals, Bloq(Quebec federal pary) and NDP we have way too much vote splitting going on.

I prefer your 2 party system and elected senate but....it does seem like you need at least a 3rd party...the choice of far right, not quite as far right and just right does not give much balance.

4moreyears
02-09-2008, 12:58 PM
I would have likes to see Jeb Bush run for President. He did a great job in Florida.

LoungeMachine
02-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by 4moreyears
I would have likes to see Jeb Bush run for President. He did a great job in Florida.

:lol:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/05/AR2007010502156.html

Yet, while his tenure coincided with a sizzling economy and an overflowing treasury, Bush's back-to-back terms were marred by frequent ethics scandals, official bungling and the inability of the government he downsized to meet growing demands for state services, including education and aid for the infirm and the elderly.

A policy wonk, Bush pursued an agenda so frenetic that even his efficiency czar resigned in protest.

"I've always felt, if you can do something today, why wait? It's just my nature," said Bush, 53, who grew grayer and slightly stouter in Tallahassee but never slackened his pace, even during his final days.

He championed tax cuts that chiefly benefited business and the wealthy, trimmed the state's payroll, stripped job protection from thousands of mid-level civil servants, gained more power over the judiciary, exploited his Washington connections to prevent the closing of military bases and launched the nation's first statewide private-school voucher program.

But his administration -- the Department of Children and Families, in particular -- was vilified for losing track of 500 youngsters under state care and for failing to prevent the deaths of several others. A smiling Rilya Wilson became the poster child for all that was wrong with the agency and, by extension, the Bush administration's failure to serve Floridians in need. Although her body was never found, it is believed the 5-year-old Miami girl was killed in December 2000, 15 months before the state realized she was missing.

Despite the controversy that swirled around the botched 2000 presidential election, which saw his brother win Florida and thus the White House by 537 votes, Bush failed to fully restore confidence in an electoral system that is still mired in controversy and lawsuits. He did little to counteract soaring property insurance rates or shorten waiting lists for citizens needing services.

"He led the enactment of tax cuts that will drain the state of needed revenue for health care and children and senior citizens -- and we already rank at the bottom of the nation in those services," said Karen Woodall, a lobbyist for migrant workers and the poor

Yeah, great job.

Blackflag
02-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by 4moreyears

What the fuck?? :mad:

LoungeMachine
02-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Blackflag
What the fuck?? :mad:

fahgetaboudit :D

He's been sucking at the Bush teets for years now, hence his screen name.

I think he may actually have a bit of a man-crush on The Chimp.

FORD
02-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Well, I went with Obama in the caucus today, and he's kicking ass across the state.

He's not as good as Kucinich or Edwards, but he sure as Hell is better than Hillary or the new and decidedly un-improved post 9-11 Grandpa McCain.

And you can't deny the turnout this guy is bringing in. He might have the coattails to not only win a landslide himself, but to bring a larger majority to both houses of Congress.

Now just replace Spineless Reid and Jellyfish Pelosi with Chris Dodd and Dennis Kucinich. Throw John Edwards in as Attorney General, and we can get shit done to restore this country.

Lqskdiver
02-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Geezuz, this whole election is not about voting someone in...it's about NOT voting someone into office. It appears no one on either side represents the majority of the people's values. It's either voting out the republicans or hillary.

Mitt was my guy, now I've got McCain to look forward to. I know what he and Hillary stand for. But what does Obama stand for. Change?? Change to what! I have still yet to hear what the change will be to.

FORD
02-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Well, change from 28 years of BushClinton is a damn good start.

Yes, I do now think of them as one entity. It's clear from all the time that Bill & Poppy spend together that they aren't - and probably never were - enemies. Politically or otherwise.

The polarization of this country began in 1980. At least the polarization based on nothing more than politics. That's different than being polarized over actual issues like slavery or institutional racism as in the past..

All while the TRUE "us vs them" struggle remained mostly ignored. That being the corporatist criminal thieves against the rest of us.