PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare On Elm Street: The Remake

bueno bob
01-31-2008, 12:47 AM
"Nightmare" to haunt big screen again
Tuesday January 29 8:50 PM ET

Freddy's back. Again.

New Line is in talks with horror production company Platinum Dunes to re-launch the "Nightmare on Elm Street" movie series, the franchise that helped establish the studio.

The first "Nightmare" movie was made by Wes Craven and released in 1984. The runaway success of the film spawned a slew of sequels and created one of the most popular villains in screen history, Freddy Krueger, played by Robert Englund.

The film centered on Krueger, a serial child killer murdered by angry parents, who returns with a burned face and a razor glove to terrorize teens in their dreams.

A screenwriter will be hired once the Writers Guild of America strike ends. The producers -- Michael Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form -- are hoping to focus part of the new movie on Krueger's backstory.

Platinum Dunes is prepping another re-launch, "Friday the 13th," which will be directed by Marcus Nispel for New Line, for whom it remade "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and its sequel.

The company is remaking "Near Dark" for Rogue and "The Birds" for Universal. It is also prepping a non-remake project, an untitled David Goyer thriller.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Well now.

The pros - the dialogue and special effects could REALLY use a swift kick in the ass. The original Nightmare On Elm Street was fucking brilliant, but it does in fact suffer from some really shitty lines and some visibly low-budget special effects. A remake with today's budget levels and technology behind it (so long as it's not all fucking CGI and actual EFFECTS) would be interesting to see. There are a LOT of really cool things they could do with the dream sequences that Wes Craven's original budget simply wouldn't allow for...additionally, there's a distinct possibility that new Freddy (with a new director) could actually be FUCKING SCARY again, not just the Benny Hill Butcher...honestly, after Elm Street 4 I heard the Benny Hill "chase music" in my head whenever some nameless brat fell asleep and Fred went to work...it got so totally fucking goofy...maybe this could change that...?

The cons (let's count 'em!):

01. Platinum Dunes. Having remade Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Hitcher, and one or two other horror franchises that I forget currently in the hopes of relaunching franchises, they've BUTCHERED the original stories far more than any of the represented killers in said stories butcher their victims. It's all about the quick buck to Platinum Dunes...cast a bunch of forgettable 'tween nobodies, rework the story (usually making it TOO explanatory), and abandon the history of said franchise in an effort to get to the bank before it closes. Platinum Dunes has an established track record of fucking up franchises and recovering by buying the rights to another one and repeating the process ad nauseum...

02. John Saxon. "Donald Thompson" is playable by anybody...but John Saxon is NOT. Simply put, he CANNOT be replaced. Period. And fuck you if you don't like it. :mad:

03. Robert Englund. JESUS CHRIST! Who in the FUCK can you get to play FREDDY KRUGER if it's not ROBERT MOTHER FUCKING ENGLUND?!?!? I'll give you TWO ideas, and they'll be the ONLY ideas I can deal with - one is Crispin Glover:

http://www.indexmagazine.com/images/celebrityphotos/crispin_glover.jpg

The other is Johnny Depp. And I say Johnny Depp because, frankly, it would at the very LEAST be a tenuous connection to the original Nightmare On Elm Street...

http://www.youthink.com/quiz_images/quiz1093outcome1.jpg

...of course, he can also act, and it might be kinda cool to see him back at his roots, so to speak...but overwhelmingly, you can't recast John Saxon or Robert Englund. I'm sorry, but it's just not going to fucking work, regardless...Crispin & Johnny get my vote, though, and in that order...

04. Remakes suck. Especially horror remakes. The only two good horror remakes I've ever seen have been The Fly and The Thing, and those were both handled by FAR better people than Michael Bay and his yes-men...

05. I am NOT EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER going to lust after anybody as much as I lusted after Heather Langenkamp in my youth. I don't fucking care WHO they cast, THIS IS THE NANCY I WAS IN LOVE WITH!!! :mad:

http://www.ericgunrud.com/Framesets/BLOGFrameSet/BLOGGraphics/NewNightmare/HeatherLangenkamp02.jpg

Fuck, I don't know. I'm going to go, fork over my cash, sit my ass in the seat and hate every fucking moment of it, but I can't control it. It's in my blood to torture myself like this.

Such is life...

binnie
01-31-2008, 03:37 AM
It just seems like a bad idea to me....

WACF
01-31-2008, 01:54 PM
Hmmm...Can not say I am thrilled about this.

Anyone see Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween?

I haven't yet...but intend too.

WACF
Double

WACF
Triple....

binnie
01-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Why so many re-makes these days? I don't get it.

Seems to me that the producers are letting themselves in for criticism as a re-make is rarely anywhere near as good as the original.

Terry
01-31-2008, 07:22 PM
Apparently there will be a remake of the first Friday the 13th movie as well...

I don't know why; would seem the original will still do the job just fine...

Rob Zombie's Halloween...overall, could have been a lot worse. Clearly, Zombie was no Carpenter, but one could tell he put a lot of thought and care into the project. Frankly, the downfall was that Zombie overexplained Michael Myers and his motivations for killing. In the original, there were no explanations nor any connections to Jamie as a family member (this didn't happen until Halloween 2).

Zombie made a decent attempt, and I enjoyed the flick a helluva a lot better than pretty much everything in the series from Halloween 5 through Resurrection...

About the only really decent horror remake that really springs to mind is The Hills Have Eyes. Frankly, I enjoyed the remake a bit more than I did the original.

VanHalener
01-31-2008, 08:15 PM
Wonder what Nancy looks like today.

The movie ramake does nothing for me, but I hope this time around Freddy catches Bette dreaming.

binnie
02-01-2008, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by Terry

About the only really decent horror remake that really springs to mind is The Hills Have Eyes. Frankly, I enjoyed the remake a bit more than I did the original.

Agreed....

stringfelowhawk
02-01-2008, 06:11 AM
I just checked out Halloween this past weekend and I agree with the above statement about it "could have been worse". It was pretty good IMHO. I also agree with the "over explanation" statement. I always wanted to know why he killed so young but it did become a little much. I'm just glad he didn't pull a "Psycho" cause that shit sucked!
There is and never will be anyone else that can pull that role off like Robert Englund. Freddy fucking Krueger is not Batman. You can't just play dress up in a red/green striped sweater, fedora, twistedly sadistic yet coolest horror weapon of all time and call yourself the court jester of slasher films. Ya Dig? I'll wait and see who they choose to make this movie before deciding if I'm gonna shell out my change to see it.

I'm not ashamed to say I liked "Freddy vs. Jason" either! I was impressed and relieved they didn't ruin it by taking it too seriously like another vs. movie recently about two Alf's. It was done with a wink at the audience and that was cool. It was a big gamble to make it considering there really was not a strong demographic to guarantee success. Aside from the hardcore fanbase of the "Nightmare and Friday" franchises they couldn't expect to make a lot of money off of it. But it did some kickass business relative to its total production costs. Hell it only had a $30,000,000 budget and it did almost 3 times that in America alone.

bueno bob
02-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by stringfelowhawk
I'm not ashamed to say I liked "Freddy vs. Jason" either! I was impressed and relieved they didn't ruin it by taking it too seriously like another vs. movie recently about two Alf's. It was done with a wink at the audience and that was cool. It was a big gamble to make it considering there really was not a strong demographic to guarantee success. Aside from the hardcore fanbase of the "Nightmare and Friday" franchises they couldn't expect to make a lot of money off of it. But it did some kickass business relative to its total production costs. Hell it only had a $30,000,000 budget and it did almost 3 times that in America alone.

Yeah...I didn't really have any problem with F vs. J either...other than the "generic 'tweens" that filled up the cast (every Elm Street story featured kids that weren't perfect hair/perfect teeth/football jock/cheerleader/burnout/black guy to say "Dat shit is whack!" stereotypes). The cast was more or less forgettable, but it wasn't a bad film by any measure...short of the fact that Freddy only got one official kill in the film.

Of course, I didn't really have a problem with A vs. P, either...other than the end with that stupid Predalien nonsense...ah well.

I don't get it, though - they could just as easily film something in universe as a sequel to F vs. J, it's a decent enough re-launching pad for either the Friday the 13th franchise or the Nightmare franchise...I know New Line was trying to film a F vs. J Part 2 - the fans came out for the first one, so I don't know what derailed that...

I did read an interview a while back after the original release of F vs. J where Robert Englund said he was kinda tired of playing Freddy and hoped that they'd remake it someday, because he wanted to see what somebody else would do with the script and role of Freddy, so he's got to be pretty excited about that...

Terry
02-02-2008, 07:55 PM
AvP2 just wasn't very good. They basically had to resort to a bunch of cheap shock tactics (aliens bursting out of pregnant women and children) in a feeble attempt to sidestep the fact that both the Alien and Predator concepts have pretty much been run into the ground.

I actually enjoyed F vs. J as well, and agree that it was a smart move on the part of the production not to take the film and the concept seriously.

Far as the Nightmare on Elm Street series, the only one I enjoyed was the first one. Saw all of the others, but none were really even nearly as good as the first.

Remakes in general just aren't terribly interesting to me, because the suspense factor can never be replicated. This applies to sequels, although to a lesser degree. I mean, with Carpenter's Halloween, the concept was new. There were no motives given for the killings, Myers was, for much of the film, a shadowy figure at best...as the series went on, the more screen time he was given and the more plot time devoted to trying to explain him, the less scary he became. No matter what Zombie did, he wasn't going to be able to overcome that hurdle; he gave it a game effort.

The same is probably gonna bode true for any Nightmare On Elm Street or Friday The 13th remakes.

Vinnie Velvet
02-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Word has it that there will NOT be a complete re-make of the original Friday, mostly because the producers want Jason, in his mask, doing all the killing and not Mommy Voorhees.

So, they decided that the new flick will sort of be a "sequel-prequel", as in having it set between Parts 3 and 4 ('cause again, the producers want Jason killing in his infamous mask).

I can go for a new Friday flick based on what was done with TCM, which I thought was very good.

But they can't have anyone other than Robert Englund play Freddy.

It won't work. Freddy is pretty much defined by Englund. While the character was written by Wes Craven, it was Englund who really brought him to life with his own quirkiness and humour.

Vinnie Velvet
02-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Word has it that there will NOT be a complete re-make of the original Friday, mostly because the producers want Jason, in his mask, doing all the killing and not Mommy Voorhees.

So, they decided that the new flick will sort of be a "sequel-prequel", as in having it set between Parts 3 and 4 ('cause again, the producers want Jason killing in his infamous mask).

I can go for a new Friday flick based on what was done with TCM, which I thought was very good.

It won't work. Freddy is pretty much defined by Englund. While the character was written by Wes Craven, it was Englund who really brought him to life with his own quirkiness and humour.

Terry
02-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet

"TCM"?

WARF
02-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Craven needs to retire....
He hasn't do a good horror picture in twenty years!!

I'm so fucking sick of horror remakes!!!

Directors these days have no fucking originality...

And even when a good Horror film comes out in a blue moon like... Hostel... it becomes a sequel franchise!!

Fuck them all I say...

WARF
He hasn't do a good horror picture in twenty years!!

And even when a good Horror film comes out in a blue moon like... Hostel... it becomes a sequel franchise!!

Fuck them all I say...

WARF
He hasn't done a good horror picture in twenty years!!

Fuck them all I say...

All the hollywood studio pussies are too afraid to include GORE into their films...

Craven is a fucking hack...

Craven to Horror is like.... Nickelback to rock n roll....

WARF
02-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Rob Zombie is the worst director of all time.

Even though the original halloween wasn't very good either.

I'd take any Bruno Mattei film over Carpenter any day of the week...

Or even Jean Rollin for that matter!!

Go rent a real horror film like THE BEYOND... OR City of the living dead...

WARF
02-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Oh yeah... fuck Peter jackson too...
hollywood pussy!!
What ever happened to films like Bad Taste and braindead???
The lord of the rings sucked...

WARF
02-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Friday the 13th is the worst horror series of all time!

Want to see a good horror film... slasher?

Rent High Tension....

The effects were done by Gino De Rossi from the early Lucio Fulci zombie films...

binnie
02-06-2008, 02:55 AM
WARF, when I look at your avatar I get the Flash Gordon theme tune stuck in my head.

God, I hate Queen for that!

bueno bob
02-07-2008, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Terry
"TCM"?

Texas Chainsaw Massacre...

bueno bob
02-07-2008, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by binnie
WARF, when I look at your avatar I get the Flash Gordon theme tune stuck in my head.

God, I hate Queen for that!

Oh God, now I'm going to have to start my Flash Gordon thread...

I stuck with the new show through the first few (very weak) episodes, but man, even with a shoestring budget, they turned that bitch around BIG TIME...I'm completely into that show now...

binnie
02-07-2008, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Oh God, now I'm going to have to start my Flash Gordon thread...

I stuck with the new show through the first few (very weak) episodes, but man, even with a shoestring budget, they turned that bitch around BIG TIME...I'm completely into that show now...

There's a Flash Gordon TV show?

WARF
02-07-2008, 09:11 PM
It's been of the sci-fi channel for about a year now binne.

It's an excellent show like bob mentioned.

smaz
02-08-2008, 09:25 PM
This news is saddening.

I'd start a picket line to keep the writers on strike, if it would prevent such an atrocity from happening. Nightmare on Elm Street remains my faveourite horror movies & series ever, right alongside friday the 13th (though the sequels for that weren't the best).

Please let it be untrue :(