PDA

View Full Version : Me Wise Magic/cant Get This Stuff No More

col5150
05-18-2004, 03:17 AM
IM SORRY TO SAY THIS BUT I THINK THAT THE TWO NEW DAVE SONGS ON VH BEST OF VOL1 ARE THE BEST THINGS THAT ROTH AND VAN HALEN HAVE DID IN THE LAST 8 OR 9 YEARS. IT REALLY IS SAD THAT THE CALIBRE OF MUSIC THOSE GUYS ARE STILL CAPABLE OF PRODUCING PROBABLY WILL NEVER HAPPEN. IF THEY HAD JUST GRINNED AND BARED IT FOR THE FANS SAKE THEY COULD PROBABLY HAVE A PRODUCED A HELL OF AN ALBUM, WHO KNOWS IT COULD EVEN HAVE BEEN AS GOOD AS THE CLASSIC STUFF.

I WAS REAL DISAPOINTED WITH DAVES LAST ALBUM, I ENJOYED IT BUT JUST THOUGHT WITHOUT A VAI OR AN EDDIE ITS NOT REALLY GOT A FRESH IMPUT INTO IT. ALL DAVES RESCENT GUITARISTS ARE DOING I FEEL IS IMMITATING SOMEONE ELSE STYLE WITHOUT CREATING ANYTHING REALLY NEW.

I AINT KNOCKING THESE GUYS MUSICALLY THE CAN PLAY PHENOMINALLY. THEN VH3 , I THINK EDDIE JUST TOOK OVER ON THAT ONE, ID BE SURPRISED IF MIKEY EVEN GOT TO WRITE HIS OWN BASE FOR THAT ALBUM. WITH GARY TAKING TURNS AT PRETENDING TO BE ROTH THEN HAGAR AGAIN AND AGAIN.

THE WHOLE THING WAS LIKE A FUCKING ADVERT FOR THE PEAVEY WOLFGANG AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED.

OH YEAH AND EDDIE SINGING LEAD ON THAT HOW MANY SAY I SHIT, DID NO ONE IN THE BAND HAVE THE BALLS TO TELL HIM HE SOUNDED FUCKING AWFUL.

BUT HEY MAN THIS IS JUST MY OPINION OF RECENT TIMES AND IM SURE MORE THAN A HANDFULL OF THE DIE HARD ROTH/ HAGAR HATERS WILL DISAGREE WITH ME.

Dickface McSlapnuts
05-18-2004, 03:19 AM
hello you no good bastard

it appears that your caps lock is fuckin busted

only fucktards type in ALL CAPS

BREASTS,
DICK FACE

col5150
05-18-2004, 03:26 AM
apologies who give a shit how you type, why does everything on this board always turn into a fucking slagfest.

tmoreno
05-18-2004, 03:43 AM
COL 5150, you are spot on with your assessment. i agree that "me wise magic" and "can't get this stuff "was just a glimmer of the musical potential the original members still have...love the caps by the way.

Sarge
05-18-2004, 03:45 AM
well if a full album in 1996 could have been as good as the DLR Band cd.. with Ed's licks..
That would have been great...
Those are 2 of my favorite songs

col5150
05-18-2004, 03:52 AM
i think its time these guys realised they aint gonna be around forever. ill bet anything when the whole sam vh reunion began that the record labels etc would have suggested dave first. probably a stubborn eddie that killed that one.

redblkwht
05-18-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Dickface McSlapnuts
hello you no good bastard

it appears that your caps lock is fuckin busted

only fucktards type in ALL CAPS

BREASTS,
DICK FACE
LMMFAO..good one!

DLR_EngineRoom
05-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Me Wise Magic & Can't Get This Stuff No More were living proof that just because Eddie's getting old, doesn't mean he has to slip into glazey eyed, overly commercial, radio friendly easy rock.

Those two songs were better than anything and everything that Van Hagar put out, put together.

Mezro
05-18-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
Me Wise Magic & Can't Get This Stuff No More were living proof that just because Eddie's getting old, doesn't mean he has to slip into glazey eyed, overly commercial, radio friendly easy rock.

Those two songs were better than anything and everything that Van Hagar put out, put together.

The first time I heard both of those songs I was driving late at night and they played them back to back on the radio.

About 5 seconds after Dave's vocals came in on CGTSNM the hair on my arms stood right the fuck up! It was like a jolt of perfection from the Twilight Zone. I was shocked, elated and amazed that the band who provided the soundtrack to my childhood/early teen years were sounding better than ever and pumping through my speakers.

No matter how much they kick, scream, bite or bitch, when those 4 guys get together the music is absolute fucking magic!

Sam Hagar can sell his soul, bleed EVH dry, live another 200 years and record songs every day but will never come close to capturing the spirit of the "real" Van Halen.

Mezro..and this class if fucking dismissed..with authority

thefive
05-18-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Mezro
The first time I heard both of those songs I was driving late at night and they played them back to back on the radio.

About 5 seconds after Dave's vocals came in on CGTSNM the hair on my arms stood right the fuck up! It was like a jolt of perfection from the Twilight Zone. I was shocked, elated and amazed that the band who provided the soundtrack to my childhood/early teen years were sounding better than ever and pumping through my speakers.

No matter how much they kick, scream, bite or bitch, when those 4 guys get together the music is absolute fucking magic!

Sam Hagar can sell his soul, bleed EVH dry, live another 200 years and record songs every day but will never come close to capturing the spirit of the "real" Van Halen.

I agree with you about when these 4 guys get together.
I was trippin out when i first heard me wise magic.

thefive
05-18-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom

You are so right on this. Just the lyrics alone beat out anything van hagar did.

Terry
05-18-2004, 04:22 PM
Kind of mixed emotions about those two BOV1 songs.

Was surprised VH was able to slip back into it with Roth so easily, and even though Dave's voice seems like it's not at 100% at points, he put out a great effort on both tracks.

The vocal mix seems a little buried at points, and Ed's tone has the remnants of that Van Hagar mid-EQ sludge.

But the tracks still work in spite of all that, and in the end I still dig 'em. Am kind of bummed nothing else was done beyond those two in 1996, because they were just getting warmed up.

But I guess Alexandra had a point about it taking weeks to find a song Dave could relate to and sing, and how the 1996 Dave wasn't the 1984 Dave, etc...........fuckin' asshole. Amazes me how Al and Ed can slag Dave, yet decide those two tracks were worthy enough to be included alongside their greatest hits.

Terry
05-18-2004, 04:23 PM
The lyrics of both almost make it seem like Dave knew how that whole 1996 thing was gonna end even as they were writing the songs.

DLR_EngineRoom
05-18-2004, 05:35 PM
I was shocked, elated and amazed that the band who provided the soundtrack to my childhood/early teen years were sounding better than ever and pumping through my speakers.

Mezro..and this class is fucking dismissed..with authority

Originally posted by thefive
You are so right on this. Just the lyrics alone beat out anything van hagar did.

Truth hurts, huh Hagaritas?

BrownSound1
05-26-2004, 02:31 PM
You know, Dave doesn't like Me Wise Magic...heard him say it in an interview. I think it is a great vocal performance...the range he displays is awesome.

CGTSNM, is right up Dave's alley, and according to him, it was about the "reunion" at the time.

Kirdee
06-21-2004, 08:40 AM
I've only recently just heard Me Wise Magic (still have yet to stumble upon Can't Get This Stuff No More on Kazaa).

I can only say that I have really mixed thoughts on this song. First of all, Dave sounds exactly like CHERONE throughout the verses and the chorus! Hasn't anyone else noticed that?

Hell, I can even sense a bit of the Chedster in Dave's higher-pitched vocals. :eek:

Honestly, is it really just me...? The song itself is pretty good, but it just reminds me too much of the disastrous VHIII.

Fabulous Shadow
06-21-2004, 01:17 PM
Both songs are great and I agree, they are the best Van Halen in YEARS.

DaveIsKing
07-04-2004, 11:44 PM
Me Wise Magic rules the fucking world.
CGTSNM rocks your face off as well.

Dave is God. Van Halen is dead.
Van Hagar is sucking on...

Cathedral
07-05-2004, 04:38 AM

A Masterpiece made of Text, Bravo...

Keeyth
07-09-2004, 06:13 PM

Amazingly well put, bro.:cool:

09-02-1984
07-14-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Kirdee
I've only recently just heard Me Wise Magic (still have yet to stumble upon Can't Get This Stuff No More on Kazaa).

If like me you want to have Dave only Van Halen in your collection you can regularly find CD singles for both tracks on www.gemm.com.

A word of warning though - some CD Singles contain a 3rd track with a vocalist that isn't Dave

Do what I did and seek out the 2 track white promo only edition of both - may cost a bit more but at least your house stays Classic line up only!

09-02-1984
07-15-2004, 05:51 AM
PRO-CD-8499-R

09-02-1984
07-15-2004, 05:52 AM
PRO-CD-8571-R

DeadOrAlive
08-14-2004, 12:21 AM
How is the edit different?