PDA

View Full Version : Maxim Apologizes for Black Crowes Review

Matt White
02-26-2008, 07:44 PM
http://music.aol.com/news/story/_a/maxim-apologizes-for-black-crowes-review/n20080226133709990022

NEW YORK (AP) - Maxim magazine has apologized for publishing a negative review of the Black Crowes' new album by a writer who hadn't listened to the whole CD.

The review in Maxim's March issue gives the Crowes' "Warpaint" a rating of two-and-a-half stars out of five. The band posted an exasperated statement on its Web site last week saying the Maxim writer hadn't heard the entire album because advance copies weren't available. The Crowes' manager, Pete Angelus, said the magazine explained that its review was an "educated guess."

Maxim editorial director James Kaminsky responded Tuesday with this statement: "It is Maxim's editorial policy to assign star ratings only to those albums that have been heard in their entirety. Unfortunately, that policy was not followed in the March 2008 issue of our magazine and we apologize to our readers."

A spokeswoman for the magazine contacted by The Associated Press declined to say whether the writer would face disciplinary action.

"Warpaint," the Black Crowes' first album in seven years, is set for release March 4. The blues-rock group, fronted by Chris Robinson, has released only one song from the disc, "Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution."

The band's hits include "Hard to Handle" and "She Talks to Angels."

BWAHAHAHA!!!

Get 'em PETE!!!:rockit2:

The CROWES kick ass!!!

indeedido
02-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Nice, what a tool that guys is

WACF
02-27-2008, 12:43 AM
I doubt anyone with a functioning brain considers Maxim a good place for info.

When it first came out it was pretty decent...then they dumbed it down to the point of embarassing.

Nice to see them get caught...

bueno bob
02-27-2008, 01:08 AM
You know, I bought the first issue of Maxim and subscribed IMMEDIATELY...was the most singularly brilliant thing I'd ever read.

Unfortunately, they went all "Man Show" with it once the original creative spark died off and it's just been very...on the border ever since then...

You can still learn some interesting (and cool) stuff, but it's few and far between, like every five issues.

LONG since let my subscription expire.

WARF
02-27-2008, 01:41 AM
It's funny how The Black Crowes are more in the spotlight these days for album controversary.... rather than the music itself.

Anyone remember the Amorica album with the pubic hairs in the bikini?

binnie
02-27-2008, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by WARF

Yup, had a poter of it on my wall when it came out.

The Black Crowes are just an awesome, awesome band. I hope the new record is a killer!

Howlin' Wolf
02-28-2008, 01:12 AM
The Black Crowes are everything I always wished Dave and Eddie had continued to be...

An' nah they have the North Mississippi All-Stars guitarist in their band...it's on like Chris' bong...:D

MERRYKISSMASS2U
02-28-2008, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by WARF

Yeah, that was just gross.

bueno bob
02-28-2008, 03:28 AM
That was an old Hustler magazine cover, right? Penthouse, maybe?

binnie
02-28-2008, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
That was an old Hustler magazine cover, right? Penthouse, maybe?

Hustler, I think.

ODShowtime
02-28-2008, 06:38 AM
screw maxim. They're never getting another dollar from me again. Not like they had since like 2001 anyway...

And by the way, please point out to me all the good rock and roll albums coming out. There must be some if the Crowes can only muster 2.5/5 stars.

Steve Savicki
02-28-2008, 06:38 AM
Or was it kicked arse? Have they done anything good since Amorica?

Matt White
02-28-2008, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
Or was it kicked arse? Have they done anything good since Amorica?

Yes actually......

Three Snakes and One Charm is pretty good.....

By Your Side is an excellent cd..........

binnie
02-28-2008, 07:44 AM
There isn't a bad song on "By Your Side."

"Lions" is pretty decent too, and I love the live record they did with Jimmy Page...

Steve Savicki
02-28-2008, 12:56 PM
What about Blackberry?

jhale667
02-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by binnie
Hustler, I think.

Correct. It was quite the controversial magazine cover in its day, and then got a whole new life with the Crowes via Amorica.
I still have some album-size promotional flats of that...love that shot...:D

The Crowes do kick ass...

"Under a Mountain" on Three Snakes and a Charm is awesome...:baaa:

Howlin' Wolf
03-01-2008, 01:35 AM
The Black Crowes
03 November 2007
The Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA [ USA ]

S E T L I S T »

Don't Do It
Jealous Again
Hotel Illness
Greasy Grass River
Darling Of The Underground Press
Nonfiction -> Jam
Ain't No More Cane On The Brazos
Polly
Mean Town Blues ->
Thorn In My Pride
Virtue And Vice ->
Give Peace A Chance ->
Space Captain
- encore -
Can't You Hear Me Knocking

# Chris played acoustic guitar on "Don't Do It"
# Chris played acoustic guitar on "Ain't No More Cane On The Brazos"
# Chris played acoustic guitar on "Polly"
# Son Volt opened the show
# Final performance of 2007

Take a long cold look at this a here setlist! It's the mos' to say the leas'!!

Jérôme Frenchise
03-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Ah, the Black Crowes!... They're true wizards, as they manage to sound both old school AND genuine, which is a real feat IMO.
You think: "I've heard that before. No, I haven't. Mh, Yes, I have. Oh, no, I haven't (etc)". :D
I have all their albums and a few boots. Thank America for the Black Crowes! :cool:

ODShowtime
03-01-2008, 01:19 PM
The Black Crowes
03 November 2007
The Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA [ USA ]

S E T L I S T »

- encore -
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Damn, I would have been at that show if I still lived up there.

That might be my favorite song of all time. The Crowes play some great Stones covers.

As for Crowes compositions, Midnight from the Inside Out and Go Faster are two killer rock songs from the last decade. Young Man Old Man is pretty bad ass. And they're all fun as hell to play on the guitar too.

http://www.detroitsrvfanclub.com/Images/black_crowes-Masse.jpg

Panamark
03-02-2008, 06:21 AM
Someone who has never seen Maxim should review it.

Ok I'll take a turn..

2 stars out of 5....

Can I have my reviewers check and party on now ???

Matt White
03-05-2008, 09:46 PM
JUst got WARPAINT....

1st impression....

not as good as BY YOUR SIDE...better than LIONS..........

a step in the right direction......solid front to back..........

binnie
03-06-2008, 02:51 AM
Cheers Matt, I'll pick it up at the weekend.

ODShowtime
03-06-2008, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
JUst got WARPAINT....

1st impression....

Ok, something to look forward to at lunch :killer:

and I got a yummy sack of blueberry's to enjoy it with :killer:

I hope they got some good riffs in there

Jérôme Frenchise
03-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
JUst got WARPAINT....

1st impression....

a step in the right direction......solid front to back..........

Originally posted by ODShowtime
Ok, something to look forward to at lunch :killer:

and I got a yummy sack of blueberry's to enjoy it with :killer:

I hope they got some good riffs in there

Got it yesterday, and well, it's NOT worth it at all IMO. :(

DrMaddVibe
03-07-2008, 07:20 PM
I like it a LOT!

It has shades of their 1st release with the Stones' "Exile On Main St." and CCR's "Willy & The Poorboys"

I'm going to see them when they swing around!

Howlin' Wolf
03-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Walk Believer Walk

&

God's Got It

,,,are two of the greates' blues rock tunes of THE CENTURY!!!!!!,,,

Is Van Halen currently in any sort of shape to record an album of this caliber? Are they even capable of it?

Luther Dickinson has made them even mo' bettah nah nah yezz yezzah!!!!!!

DrMaddVibe
03-08-2008, 08:34 AM
"Walk Believer Walk" could've easily been off of "Exile".

My fave is "Move On Down The Line" with the Led Zep inspired keyboards driving the front of the song and the guitars layered over top. Vocal tracks on top of one another with screams and harmonies. Drum kicks the beat and then it becomes a song with driving force.

I HAVE TO SEE THEM ON THIS TOUR!

Jérôme Frenchise
03-08-2008, 12:33 PM
I've listened to Warpaint 4 times since last Thursday, and well, it still doesn't make it for me.
It's full of nice ballads or ballad-like songs, but damn, there isn't a single big riff sequence in the whole album! :(

Maybe that song that kind of mingles the Stones's "Slave" and "Gimme Shelter", but I'd rather take an ear at "Midnight from the inside out" or "Faster" or any other rocker from the last two studio records, really.

And as far as "Exile", well at least you have some rock in there, contrary to the Crowes's last delivery.

A big, big disappointment for me. :cool:

Tiki-Tom
03-10-2008, 11:12 PM
Lotta Stones references being thrown around in here. Since the Georgia Satelli...oops, I mean Black Crowes can't pull that off, I'll stick with the genuine article.

cadaverdog
03-11-2008, 12:35 AM
If Kate Hudson hadn't started fucking Owen Wilson there might
not have been a Crowes album for that dude to do his clairvoyant
review about.
He became so domesticated he even started wearing shoes.
Was there any Crowes action while they were married?

binnie
03-11-2008, 04:28 AM
It's a very, very good album. Initially, I wanted a little more riffage, but the songs are so damn good I song came round........

Howlin' Wolf
03-12-2008, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
Lotta Stones references being thrown around in here. Since the Georgia Satelli...oops, I mean Black Crowes can't pull that off, I'll stick with the genuine article.

The mighty Black Crowes do the greates' covers of them Rollin' Stones tunes...,,,sho' 'nuff...

The Black Crowes take care of their fans. Their originals and their covers will knock yo socks off. The mix their setlists up like the grateful dead but they have punch, grit, spit, and fire,,,....Chris Robinson and Young Rich Robinson are the new Blues Brothers,,,one part Glimmer Twins,,,one part Mississippi Fred McDowell,,,one part Southern Soul Dixie Fried Tied Up and Swallowed Rock,,,one part Zep,,,one part Rollin' Stone,,,one part Small Faces,,,one part Bob Marley,,,ooh well well,,,

Picasso Pete--w/Roth up until '90, then the mighty Black Crowes,,,he's King Midas,,,fo' sho',,,

IF THERE'S A RIOT
DON'T DENY IT