indeedido
02-26-2008, 10:16 PM
me too

jhale667
02-26-2008, 11:50 PM
Ripper is cool as shit. :cool:

BALLYJUNKIE
02-27-2008, 12:02 AM
now all we need is yngwie is to write a half way decent tune !!! we can only listen to his endless solo for so long

WACF
02-27-2008, 12:40 AM
Fuck I would never of imagined that pairing.

This should be cool...

bueno bob
02-27-2008, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by BALLYJUNKIE
now all we need is yngwie is to write a half way decent tune !!! we can only listen to his endless solo for so long

Eh...speak for yourself...while he has a few lame moments back and forth, overwhelmingly I think his material is well composed and always very interesting/fun to listen to, even if it does get very repetative and formulaic...

Still, I don't give a shit...I'll take the worst Yngwie Malmsteen album over the best Van Hagar crap any day of the week and twice on Sunday, for all that's worth...

BALLYJUNKIE
02-27-2008, 03:34 AM
i think i got into this arguement with you about a year ago ......hey you know why eddie van halen and van halen itself is so big ? cause eddie van halen and who ever singer hes working with can write A DAM GOOD SONG !!!....... i dont care how great eddie is or was no wants to hear 3 hours of endless jammin .... if eddie van halen could not write a song ,they would have never made it as big as they did ..... you know why van halen plays big arena "s and yngwie plays small clubs is because van halen has classic songs "PARTY ANTHEMS ' RUNNIN WITH THE DEVIL ,DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY ,PANAMA .....that people can sing along too ,maybe yngwie doesnt really care about writing songs ,who knows ,im not saying yngwie isnt great,he is ,but hes no where near EDDIE VAN HALEN ,THATS A FACT !!!

Nitro Express
02-27-2008, 03:57 AM
Yngwie is huge in Japan and Europe. Yngwie likes to be the boss. Eddie always wished he was the boss. Yngwie went broke. Yngwie was told he would never play guitar again due to an injury. Yngwie came back, is still rich and still plays like a motherfucker. On his terms too.

ace diamond
02-27-2008, 04:27 AM
FUCK YNGWIE MALMSTEIN!

binnie
02-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Ripper is awesome, but it's a shame he's becoming a hired hand rather than focussing on putting out his own material. The 'Beyond Fear' album was killer....

bueno bob
02-27-2008, 10:44 AM
i think i got into this arguement with you about a year ago ......

Yup, and your argument is still as stupid and irrelevant as it was back then.

hey you know why eddie van halen and van halen itself is so big ? cause eddie van halen and who ever singer hes working with can write A DAM GOOD SONG !!!.......

Again, wrong. Eddie Van Halen and "whatever singer" he's had hasn't written a somewhat decent song since 1986.

Yngwie Malmsteen, on the other hand, has double the material, and while he's put out a few stinkers, they've been few and far between. The material is well composed, lyrically they're usually pretty good, and the playing is without measure. Yngwie always puts together tight bands and I don't fucking care how "Big" Van Halen is as opposed to Yngwie, because Van Halen isn't part of this thread, is it?

You wanna bestow everyone with the virtues of Eddie (and Sammy and Gary, apparently), Main's thataway. This is Yngwie's thread.

:)

i dont care how great eddie is or was no wants to hear 3 hours of endless jammin ....

Funny you should say so, because, oddly enough, people do. Yngwie's still selling records, does a pretty decent amount of business in the U.S. and is HUGE overseas.

I guess it's just YOU who doesn't want to hear "Three hours of endless jamming"...and those who don't listen to Yngwie, nor have ever seen him in concert, love to assume that's the case when in fact, it isn't.

if eddie van halen could not write a song ,they would have never made it as big as they did .....

What reference point does that have? None.

you know why van halen plays big arena "s and yngwie plays small clubs is because van halen has classic songs "PARTY ANTHEMS ' RUNNIN WITH THE DEVIL ,DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY ,PANAMA .....

Which means that Van Halen appeals to a broader audience, I'll freely admit that. Yngwie Malmsteen is a musician for musicians, and appeals to a more discriminating taste. Van Halen's music in contrast is a far easier sell.

And so what? Miley Cyrus is an easier sell than Van Halen these days, she does THREE TIMES the amount of business they do. For every one remaining Van Halen fan, she has twenty kids (and their parents) who will buy ANYTHING she puts out.

I could take your same argument and it's just as stupid. Just change it to how much better Miley Cyrus is than Van Halen and it's the same point, essentially. Because Miley has songs that people can sing along to, so she's better than Van Halen will ever be.

maybe yngwie doesnt really care about writing songs ,

Yeah, considering his discography of 25 odd albums, I'm sure "writing songs is the last thing on Yngwie's mind."

Dumbass.

who knows ,im not saying yngwie isnt great,he is ,but hes no where near EDDIE VAN HALEN ,THATS A FACT !!!

That's your opinion, and it's nowhere near fact.

Were it not for the fact that Eddie Van Halen hasn't played guitar for a shit since 1985, I might be inclined to agree with you. Unfortunately, the world moved on after Van Halen went tits up and other people CAN in fact actually play guitar!

Amazing, isn't it?

Next...

bueno bob
02-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by ace diamond
FUCK YNGWIE MALMSTEIN!

Heheheh...jealous much?

God loves you. :)

bueno bob
02-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by binnie
Ripper is awesome, but it's a shame he's becoming a hired hand rather than focussing on putting out his own material. The 'Beyond Fear' album was killer....

Yeah, that's the only downside to it. I'd much rather see Ripper in his own gig rather than being a singer-for-hire, but admittedly he's going to do better business in existing acts than as a solo artist, more likely than not.

Still, I'd really like to see this be a long term set up, and hope Ripper and Yngwie go for quite a distance. I'm interested in seeing what sort of "different musical direction" Yngwie's aiming at, but with the addition of Ripper, I'm guessing MUCH heavier metal.

Nothing wrong with that, either :)

WACF
02-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Ripper will definitly take it to heavier level...no Joe Lynn Turner pop influence here...

eddie78
02-27-2008, 12:14 PM
I guess Yngwie finally ran out of Ritchie Blackmore's old singers!

Yngwie has written & rewritten the same material since 1986.
He is not even pimple on Edward Van Halen's ass, as far as creativity & true expression on the instrument.
He is a technician, not a songwriter.
Ed rewrote the book on guitar....and....could compose memorable tunes.
Ed appealed to an audience that existed outside the confines of Guitar World magazine & youtube shred olympics.

And Ripper is a fucking clone of Rob Halford, fer chrissakes!

Someone get Bueno Bob a roll of paper towels & a clue.

VanHalener
02-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Why does that pic remind me of Golden Awe?

VanHalener
02-27-2008, 12:31 PM
Gonna have to check out this Ripper cat.

Dude looks like he wants to hit the stage and rock guts into a hurt locker.

binnie
02-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Yeah, that's the only downside to it. I'd much rather see Ripper in his own gig rather than being a singer-for-hire, but admittedly he's going to do better business in existing acts than as a solo artist, more likely than not.

Still, I'd really like to see this be a long term set up, and hope Ripper and Yngwie go for quite a distance. I'm interested in seeing what sort of "different musical direction" Yngwie's aiming at, but with the addition of Ripper, I'm guessing MUCH heavier metal.

Nothing wrong with that, either :)

It will definately be heavier, but I also imagine that it'll be more varied: when you have a singer with Ripper's range, you can pretty much write whatever you want and he'll sing it....

ace diamond
02-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Heheheh...jealous much?

1. no i am not jealous.
i went to see yngwie back in the late 1980's with my mom, we got to go back stage to meet him. when we got there he started saying insulting and highly disrepectful things to her, in front of me.
it took about 15 fucking security gaurd to keep me from fucking killing him.

2.FUCK GOD-HAIL SATAN!!!

ace diamond
02-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Heheheh...jealous much?

1. no i am not jealous.
i went to see yngwie back in the late 1980's with my mom, we got to go back stage to meet him. when we got there he started saying insulting and highly disrepectful things to her, in front of me.
it took about 15 fucking security guards to keep me from fucking killing him.

2.FUCK GOD-HAIL SATAN!!!

eddie78
02-27-2008, 06:47 PM
I saw Yngwie in person just over a year ago at a Barnes & Noble here in Boston.
He had played at Berklee & done a clinic or Q&A at Daddy's Junky music, down the street.

The guy just looked ridiculous in person, i'm sorry.
He's the size of a linebacker, but he wore shades, a frilly shirt, girlie suede boots & a long, woman's leather coat.
One kid approached him & he ignored him. No one else seemed to notice or care.

Granted, he has marvellous technical ability & picking skills, but as a songwriter he is dreadful.
Imagewise, he looks like a relic from 1985 in a bloated, 40 year old body.

It would be one thing if he was a nice guy, but i saw firsthand, what an asshole he really was.
It was like watching this egotistical cartoon character come to life!

I'm sure Ripper Owens is a decent guy, but i give him one album.
No one can stand Yngwie's ego for longer than a record & tour.

DLR'sCock
02-27-2008, 07:51 PM
I saw Ripper twice with Priest, and the man is a MONSTER vocalist. This will give me reason to go see Malmsteen live again.

Terry
02-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Malmsteen has such tremendous abilities...hell, I still listen to Marching Out and am blown away...and that's going on, what, 22 years since that album came out?

Nitro Express
02-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by ace diamond
1. no i am not jealous.
it took about 15 fucking security gaurd to keep me from fucking killing him.

2.FUCK GOD-HAIL SATAN!!!

I'll shove a lit road flare up his ass for the right price. :D

Diamondjimi
02-27-2008, 11:40 PM
Yup, and your argument is still as stupid and irrelevant as it was back then.

Again, wrong. Eddie Van Halen and "whatever singer" he's had hasn't written a somewhat decent song since 1986.

Yngwie Malmsteen, on the other hand, has double the material, and while he's put out a few stinkers, they've been few and far between. The material is well composed, lyrically they're usually pretty good, and the playing is without measure. Yngwie always puts together tight bands and I don't fucking care how "Big" Van Halen is as opposed to Yngwie, because Van Halen isn't part of this thread, is it?

You wanna bestow everyone with the virtues of Eddie (and Sammy and Gary, apparently), Main's thataway. This is Yngwie's thread.

Funny you should say so, because, oddly enough, people do. Yngwie's still selling records, does a pretty decent amount of business in the U.S. and is HUGE overseas.

I guess it's just YOU who doesn't want to hear "Three hours of endless jamming"...and those who don't listen to Yngwie, nor have ever seen him in concert, love to assume that's the case when in fact, it isn't.

What reference point does that have? None.

Which means that Van Halen appeals to a broader audience, I'll freely admit that. Yngwie Malmsteen is a musician for musicians, and appeals to a more discriminating taste. Van Halen's music in contrast is a far easier sell.

And so what? Miley Cyrus is an easier sell than Van Halen these days, she does THREE TIMES the amount of business they do. For every one remaining Van Halen fan, she has twenty kids (and their parents) who will buy ANYTHING she puts out.

I could take your same argument and it's just as stupid. Just change it to how much better Miley Cyrus is than Van Halen and it's the same point, essentially. Because Miley has songs that people can sing along to, so she's better than Van Halen will ever be.

Yeah, considering his discography of 25 odd albums, I'm sure "writing songs is the last thing on Yngwie's mind."

Dumbass.

That's your opinion, and it's nowhere near fact.

Were it not for the fact that Eddie Van Halen hasn't played guitar for a shit since 1985, I might be inclined to agree with you. Unfortunately, the world moved on after Van Halen went tits up and other people CAN in fact actually play guitar!

Amazing, isn't it?

Next...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/Jeebuspotpie/ownage.jpg

As for Ripper. I'll def. check it out. Should be killer.

But I give it two albums before the wheels fall off.........

bueno bob
02-28-2008, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by eddie78
I guess Yngwie finally ran out of Ritchie Blackmore's old singers!

Actually, no. He's did a cover of "Dream On" with Ronnie James Dio for an Aerosmith tribute album, was asked to join Alcatrazz (Graham Bonnet), did two rotations with Joe Lynn Turner ("Odyssey" and "Trial by Fire: Live in Leningrad") and worked with Doogie White, who did one half-assed album with Blackmore ("Stranger in Us All").

To the best of my knowledge, he's never done any albums or recordings with Rod Evans, Ian Gillan, David Coverdale, Glenn Hughes, or Candice Night, but if you know better, feel free to educate me.

Yngwie has written & rewritten the same material since 1986.

Opinion. I'll admit a lot of it is repetitive, but have you ever put on an AC/DC album?

There ya go.

He is not even pimple on Edward Van Halen's ass, as far as creativity & true expression on the instrument.

Edward's creativity and true expression on guitar died in 1985, he buried it in a bottle and it never again saw the light of day.

He is a technician, not a songwriter.

Yet amazingly enough, his albums have songs on them. Go figure.

Ed rewrote the book on guitar....and....could compose memorable tunes.

True. COULD being the operative word here.

Ed appealed to an audience that existed outside the confines of Guitar World magazine & youtube shred olympics.

So did Milli Vanilli and Culture Club.

You ARE aware that there's more than one type of music in the world, right?

And Ripper is a fucking clone of Rob Halford, fer chrissakes!

And in many ways, a superior vocalist.

Someone get Bueno Bob a roll of paper towels & a clue.

http://uk.gizmodo.com/baby,crying,tantrum.jpg

Done yet?

Hey, if you wanna talk about how good Eddie's dick tastes, Main's thataway...last time I checked, this was a Malmsteen thread and Eddie Van Halen never entered into the original post...

bueno bob
02-28-2008, 12:56 AM
The guy just looked ridiculous in person, i'm sorry.

http://www.beverlyhillspeople.com/EddieVanHalen/Eddie-Van-Halen-Guitar.jpg

We can talk about ridiculous looking rock stars all week...

He's the size of a linebacker, but he wore shades, a frilly shirt, girlie suede boots & a long, woman's leather coat.

http://thefullbug.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/ed.jpg
http://celebritymound.smugmug.com/photos/182367735-M.jpg

Are you SURE you wanna keep up this line of attack?

One kid approached him & he ignored him. No one else seemed to notice or care.

I assume you were there and watched for the whole length of his appearance, too.

Granted, he has marvellous technical ability & picking skills, but as a songwriter he is dreadful.

Opinion.

Imagewise, he looks like a relic from 1985 in a bloated, 40 year old body.

Man, you just can't get past the stage clothes, can you?

Imagine first and fuck the rest, hunh?

It would be one thing if he was a nice guy, but i saw firsthand, what an asshole he really was. It was like watching this egotistical cartoon character come to life!

Well, myself and several of my friends have met him numerous times and we've never had any problems with him being egotistical or an asshole. I guess it just kinda depends on his mood, but hey, speaking of egotistical assholes...you ever heard of that Eddie Van Halen cat? He re-wrote the book of egotistical asshole guitarists...

I'm sure Ripper Owens is a decent guy, but i give him one album.
No one can stand Yngwie's ego for longer than a record & tour.

Wrong again. Yngwie's a solo artist for the purpose that he likes to keep changing lineups and keep fresh blood in the band to play with. He doesn't like keeping the same members for too long, else it becomes more of a band vibe. Anybody signing on to play with Malmsteen knows as much (or should) because he's said that over and over again since 1986 - apparently you've missed that.

Very few of Yngwie's ex bandmembers have ever had anything negative to say about him.

Were I a solo artist, I'd do it exactly the same way, and totally support the logic behind it. In regards to lineup changes, he hasn't gone through any more people in his band than Meat Loaf or Madonna or practically any other solo artist that's been around since the 80s.

bueno bob
02-28-2008, 01:10 AM
You know, it never ceases to amaze me that whenever you mention Yngwie Malmsteen here, there's going to be a select audience of nincompoops that feel it absolutely necessary to defend Eddie Van Halen against him at all costs. Had I said "Rippers singing for Yngwie who's a bazillion times better than Eddie!", I could understand that response. Probably.

Of course I didn't, and still they line up with their "He wears funny clothes! He can't write party tunes! He's overweight!" idiocy like it's the ultimate defense (against WHAT, exactly, who knows?). You guys sure jump to the plate like your asses are on fire and your hair is catching. You folk are nothing if not predictable.

I'm gonna stop now and go take some thorazine or something...back in a week...

Panamark
02-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Hey ! I like this pairing. This could be an awesome album in the
making. I'm still yet to hear anything better than Rising Forces
and Marching Out, but Ripper is one fookin ballsy singer...
Maybe this will be the next big one for both these artists...
Cant wait !

Terry
02-28-2008, 08:27 PM
You know, it never ceases to amaze me that whenever you mention Yngwie Malmsteen here, there's going to be a select audience of nincompoops that feel it absolutely necessary to defend Eddie Van Halen against him at all costs.

Hell, I was as big an Eddie fan as anyone back in the day, and the first time I heard Yngwie I was like "Eddie Van WHO?"

They aren't even similar stylistically to these ears...but it is funny how some get into a tizzy about the "Malmsteen vs. Van Halen" non-issue. Goes back to that whole "which guitar player is 'better' than another" nonsense, all of which is subjective, anyway.

Plus, everyone knows CC DeVille smokes 'em both

;)

ace diamond
02-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
I'll shove a lit road flare up his ass for the right price. :D

you sir, are an amtuer.
no offense, but i have much more diabolical and visciously touturous intentions.

you don't wanna know.trust me.:D

bueno bob
02-29-2008, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Terry
Plus, everyone knows CC DeVille smokes 'em both

;)

Well, duh! Anybody who knows anything about guitar knows it's FUCKING ALL ABOUT CC DEVILLE!!

jhale667
02-29-2008, 12:47 AM
You know, it never ceases to amaze me that whenever you mention Yngwie Malmsteen here, there's going to be a select audience of nincompoops that feel it absolutely necessary to defend Eddie Van Halen against him at all costs.

With Gheydie78 always leading the gay parade...:rolleyes:

C.C. Deville's got pipes he hasn't even USED yet...:lol:

eddie78
02-29-2008, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by jhale667
With Gheydie78 always leading the gay parade...:rolleyes:

C.C. Deville's got pipes he hasn't even USED yet...:lol:

Jhale, 45 years old & still lookin' for hotties!

Stay 16, mr. tech man. LOL!

eddie78
02-29-2008, 01:40 AM
Gayhale started inhaling dick at a young age, and by 45, he couldn't differeniate between Yng-Gay Malmsteen & Edward Van fucking Halen.

Am i speaking your language you fucking wannabe guitar hack?

Broncos Garage
02-29-2008, 01:50 AM
If Malmsteen was really so great, he would've moved amounts of product similar to that of Van Halen, but it's pretty obvious that he hasn't set any sales records. Don't get me wrong, great player, just not appealing to a wide spectrum is all.

jhale667
02-29-2008, 02:32 AM
Am i speaking your language you fucking wannabe guitar hack?

What you're doing is proving you have no idea what your're talking about - as usual . :D
How's that resume coming along?

Now go face Sweden and pray, sperm-burp. ;)

jhale667
02-29-2008, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by gheyddie78
.... started inhaling dick at a young age,

Dude, just come out of the closet already. :rolleyes:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/jhale667/Insult%20comic/insults%20aplenty/gay_pride.jpg

binnie
02-29-2008, 11:16 AM
"CC, pick up that guitar and-a tawlk to me!"

Bwhahahahahahaha!!!

Diamondjimi
02-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by binnie
"CC, pick up that guitar and-a tawlk to me!"

Bwhahahahahahaha!!!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s6pNb_3bKyA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s6pNb_3bKyA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

:D

Show 'em how it's done Edward !

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UgwWR1TzJkE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UgwWR1TzJkE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

:lol:

bueno bob
03-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Well that was inspirational!

:D

Matt White
03-01-2008, 09:55 PM
I watched until the 4:04 mark..........

A lot of dive-bombs....and not much else.....:(

EVH isn't what he used to be....who is?

Still...a GRATE show...and worth the cash

Matt White
03-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Yngwie nowdays?

Sober.....and just a tad more together live....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgPaISGfZeE

he isn't ANYWHERE near the songwriter EVH is...and has Never had a singer in his band a 1/1,000,000 as good as DAVE........

Terry
03-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Yngwie nowdays?

Sober.....and just a tad more together live....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgPaISGfZeE

he isn't ANYWHERE near the songwriter EVH is...and has Never had a singer in his band a 1/1,000,000 as good as DAVE........

Well, that's really the thing, isn't it?

I mean, with whatever version/lineup of the Malmsteen solo band from whatever era, one tends to focus on Yngwie because, frankly, he's the only really interesting thing the band had going for it. Malmsteen has played with some good and great singers (Joe Lynn Turner, Jeff Scott Soto), but none of them were great frontmen or lyricists (IMO).

bueno bob
03-02-2008, 12:03 AM
I agree with that. Van Halen was a magic band, for sure...Yngwie was a solo showcase that happened to have some other great talent in it (Jens Johansson, Jeff Scott Soto, Joe Lynn Turner, Mats Olausson, Mark Boals, et al)...overwhelmingly though, had it been a different guitarist and any combination of keyboardist/bassist/vocalist/drummerist ( ;) ), I wouldn't have bought it because I doubt seriously it would have kept me interested for very long.

Malmsteen has always been THE focal point of Rising Force, but that's just one guy...in a very real sense, Malmsteen IS Rising Force, period...

On the other hand, Van Halen was a BAND, and as such, all were equal in my eyes...Eddie on guitar was a fucking miracle, David was THE rock and roll frontman that Ozzy only hinted at in Sabbath's heyday, Alex and Mike were just as visible to me and equally as important to the band's chemistry.

Now I've said it time and again, and here's one more - change ANY element of Van Halen and it's not Van Halen, period.

By contrast?

Change ANY element of Rising Force, and so long as it's not the Yngwie Malmsteen element, you're still good.

I guess the bottom line is this: Van Halen had (realistically) very few lineup changes over the years, but each and every one since 1985 has hurt them DRAMATICALLY...because of the fact that it's a band chemistry...Yngwie has changed band members every year or so since 1984 and it hasn't harmed him a bit, because it's a showcase for him, nothing else...

Apples and oranges and there ya go.

Terry
03-02-2008, 02:07 PM
I agree with that. Van Halen was a magic band, for sure...Yngwie was a solo showcase that happened to have some other great talent in it (Jens Johansson, Jeff Scott Soto, Joe Lynn Turner, Mats Olausson, Mark Boals, et al)...overwhelmingly though, had it been a different guitarist and any combination of keyboardist/bassist/vocalist/drummerist ( ;) ), I wouldn't have bought it because I doubt seriously it would have kept me interested for very long.

Malmsteen has always been THE focal point of Rising Force, but that's just one guy...in a very real sense, Malmsteen IS Rising Force, period...

On the other hand, Van Halen was a BAND, and as such, all were equal in my eyes...Eddie on guitar was a fucking miracle, David was THE rock and roll frontman that Ozzy only hinted at in Sabbath's heyday, Alex and Mike were just as visible to me and equally as important to the band's chemistry.

Now I've said it time and again, and here's one more - change ANY element of Van Halen and it's not Van Halen, period.

By contrast?

Change ANY element of Rising Force, and so long as it's not the Yngwie Malmsteen element, you're still good.

I guess the bottom line is this: Van Halen had (realistically) very few lineup changes over the years, but each and every one since 1985 has hurt them DRAMATICALLY...because of the fact that it's a band chemistry...Yngwie has changed band members every year or so since 1984 and it hasn't harmed him a bit, because it's a showcase for him, nothing else...

Apples and oranges and there ya go.

Well, the thing with Yngwie is that I can't escape the feeling that his band and the songs are secondary to him; in other words, everything else serves as a vehicle for his guitar playing. And his guitar playing on a technical level is phenominal...

But with CVH, for me the best moments where when the best of what everyone had to offer served the collective objective of killer tunes. A great guitar solo can be a component of a killer tune, but isn't in and of itself a killer tune.

cadaverdog
03-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Broncos Garage
If Malmsteen was really so great, he would've moved amounts of product similar to that of Van Halen, but it's pretty obvious that he hasn't set any sales records. Don't get me wrong, great player, just not appealing to a wide spectrum is all.

I agree his music is a "required taste".
But why?
His music has gotten minimul or no airplay.
Has he even acheived top tier status?
Is he a headliner?
Maybe on the club circuit .
He couldn't even headline on the fair circuit.
No name recognition.
Twenty years ago , I was in my mid to late twenties and this
seventeen year old wanna be hippy wanted to compare Yngwie
to Jimmy Page.
No comparison Jimmy Page is a guitar god.
Yngwie even know is an almost was.

DrMaddVibe
03-07-2008, 07:33 PM
I'll say this about Malmsteen, he would NEVER stoop to the lowest levels that Eddie Van Halen has.

There's Hendrix, there's Jimmy Page and to me then there's Yngwie Malmsteen. Just because you don't know who he is doesn't make him any less important to everyone.

People used the same argument with Jaco Pastorius. He's the bass version of Jimi Hendrix. How many times have you heard him on the radio? Then there's our own Toastmaster General! How many times did he release something only to have it ignored by radio and the press. It was 100x better than what the cheese lovers where eating up and THAT got the airtime! Who has it right and who has it wrong?

Malmsteen is an artist that pushes himself creatively. He's not bowing to what playing directors want. He's too busy making music. That's what I want from musicians. An occasional tour is nice, but its the material that they dish out that sparks me. I want to know what ride I'm going to go one when I listen to them. Jimi was moving towards Jazz before he died. Page has kept my interest with Coverdale, Crowes, The Firm and his own solo work. Malmsteen looks like he wants to go in a different direction. Pairing with Ripper ought to give him just that. As far as Eddie...where's he going? Oh yeah, BACK to rehab. AGAIN!

Cadavardog, I'd seriously try to find Malmsteen w/ Dio doing a version of "Dream On" and listen to what he does to that song. He makes Joe Perry look like he was playing in wet cement. Branch out and listen to these people you don't know. If someone wants to compare themselves to Jimmy Page...you owe it to yourself to google that name and listen to it for yourself!

DrMaddVibe
03-07-2008, 08:01 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1B9InPaKmgY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1B9InPaKmgY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Malmsteen w/ Steeler

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Np3yYi322-g"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Np3yYi322-g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

w/ Alcatraz

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/68QXDcxFVDo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/68QXDcxFVDo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

He's HARDLY an "almost was". He might be the world's biggest asshole to everyone BUT you can't deny the man's talent!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z1cXkOsBzSQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z1cXkOsBzSQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

FOUND IT!

He CRUSHES Perry's work...listen to what Malmsteen is doing in this.

cadaverdog
03-07-2008, 11:01 PM
My comment about him being an almost was has nothing to do
with his talent.
It's about name recognition.
And the average Joe never heard of Yngwie .
Or Alcatraz .
Would anyone Know who Steve Vai is if he hadn't worked with
Dave?
I know he went on to work with Whitesnake but working with
Dave and being compared to Ed put his name out to the general public.
One of my favorite guitarists is Gary Hoey .
I think he is the best I've ever heard but he is not top tier either.
I'm not sure he wants to be.

cadaverdog
03-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Ok
Listened to your three samples .
W/ Steeler That not music thats noise .
Fast and accurate but noise.
W/Alcatraz Competent cover , always dug that song.
I've seen Rainbow live but unfortunatly with Joe Lynn Turner
on vocals.
Can't happen here was good otherwise he's no Dio or Bonnet.
Second time I saw Rainbow they took offense that the crowd
had not given up on another encore from UFO.
Rainbow played one song and left.
They had to bring back the opening band Duke Jupiter.
As far as the "Dream On" cover Dio was awesome.
But I can't say better to the guitar but A different take
on the song.
Are you a guitarist , yourself?
If so maybe you appreciate his speed and accuracy.
He has that.
But give me Pages solo that comes after the bow work
on "Dazed and Confused".
On the dvd his fingers are moving so fast they are faster
than the eye can comprehend.

Terry
03-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Malmsteen made just as many attempts to put out radio friendly music and get a hit as anyone elseone might care to mention, most of said attempts happening early on in his career, but I'll agree that he certainly hasn't stumbled as much as EVH has on a personal level - certainly not to the point where it was detrimental to his own skills as a guitarist.

bueno bob
03-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Well, doctors told him he'd never play guitar again after he wrapped his Ferarri around a tree in '87...in '88, Odyssey came out and while easily his most radio friendly effort, playing-wise he didn't suffer any...

It's a matter of personal drive and ambition, really. As far as booze and drugs, Yngwie did his fair share, too...

Hey, I beat alcohol, I beat cigarettes...I don't buy into that "It's a disease" bullshit, either...all of that's too new agey for me and takes the responsibility off of yourself, which is where I feel it truly belongs. I didn't believe it when they told me years ago and I still don't know. It's a matter of having fortitude physically and mentally to stand up and say "I'm not doing this bullshit ANYMORE" and meaning it. And that's just a matter of personal determination and willpower.

If I can do it, anybody can do it. I'm three years without a cigarette and eight years without a drink. I don't miss either and I never have one moment where I go "Oh man, I shouldn't have quit!"...

Well, OK, off of my soapbox... :D

cadaverdog
03-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Well, doctors told him he'd never play guitar again after he wrapped his Ferarri around a tree in '87...in '88, Odyssey came out and while easily his most radio friendly effort, playing-wise he didn't suffer any...

It's a matter of personal drive and ambition, really. As far as booze and drugs, Yngwie did his fair share, too...

Hey, I beat alcohol, I beat cigarettes...I don't buy into that "It's a disease" bullshit, either...all of that's too new agey for me and takes the responsibility off of yourself, which is where I feel it truly belongs. I didn't believe it when they told me years ago and I still don't know. It's a matter of having fortitude physically and mentally to stand up and say "I'm not doing this bullshit ANYMORE" and meaning it. And that's just a matter of personal determination and willpower.

If I can do it, anybody can do it. I'm three years without a cigarette and eight years without a drink. I don't miss either and I never have one moment where I go "Oh man, I shouldn't have quit!"...

Well, OK, off of my soapbox... :D
I agree yet disagree.
Personaly the closest thing I ever had to an addiction was to
soda pop.
When I woke up I felt like shit until I guzzed my first soda.
Would quit cold turkey , then compromise .
Only drink soda with meals.
Next thing I was sucking them down like they were going out
of style.
Got that under control , only water , an occasional cocktail ,
or iced tea w/a small amount of sugar.
But I have a friend who I beieve suffers from an"addictive
personality".
No matter what he tries he goes overboard .
Cigarettes , booze , weed , coke , speed and eventually
heroin.
Anything he did , he got hooked.
Last I heard he was in prison partly for identity theft for
stealing checks or something to sustain his habit.
He used to have a good job , wife , kids , new car ,house.
Now , nothing , not even friends.
His family wants nothing to do with him.
His dad died young .
Chain smoked , and was alcoholic.
When I last saw him (I've known him 20 years) I 'd swear he
had become his dad.
I don't know if you could call it a disease , but he is either
emulating his dad , or inherited some gene .