PDA

View Full Version : Someone explain this to me please.

Funkmonkey
01-09-2004, 04:01 PM
I need something explained to me: Why do some retail stores require membership to shop there? What is so unique about the store, or what security issues must be solved by enforcing a membership? And why must retail stores like Sam's Club and Costco, through their membership fee policy, require customers to pay for the privilege to pay for products sold? And then they shake you down at the front entrance to identify yourself before being allowed to buy anything?

I don't have to pay the Ford Motor Company an annual fee to be eligible to buy a Mustang GT. Nordstrom and Macy's request, but do not require, me to identify myself using personal information before being granted the permission to buy any shoes or coats from them. Neither Giant, Safeway, Kroger, Circle K, or Walgreen’s will require me to pay them a fee for the privilege to pay them money to buy a banana, a blender, or even the ibuprophen at regular market prices to sooth the resulting hangover from the banana daiquiris.

Even a security deposit given to the local power company, to provide electricity to run said blender, is returned eventually with interest included.

So why must I give valuable personal information and money for the privilege to patronize Sam's Club or Costco?

You know, if Sam's Club and Costco are supposed to be some exclusive club, then I want go-go dancers performing for my entertainment pleasure while I shop. Midgets in tuxedos better be walking around serving cocktails, 18 holes with regular scheduled tee times better be out back, and friggin Tiger Woods waiting in the pro shop to give lessons. I’ve seen less security at a country club, than the Waffen SS at Costco. What is so bloody special and exclusive about Sam's Club and Costco?

Perhaps they should install turnstiles, metal detectors, and card readers out front so that cleared patrons can badge in? Hell, why not issue certain customers proper security clearances so that Sam’s Club and Costco can be a secured facility and enter the Federal Government GSA schedule providing the latest weapons technology, advanced cryptography equipment, and strategic mainframe computer systems to government buyers. And while they’re there, they can pick up a few pounds of ground meat, a gallon jug of laundry detergent, and 2 dozen roses for the wife.

Can someone please explain this membership phenomenon to me?

SoCalChelle
01-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Funkmonkey
You know, if Sam's Club and Costco are supposed to be some exclusive club, then I want go-go dancers performing for my entertainment pleasure while I shop. Midgets in tuxedos better be walking around serving cocktails, 18 holes with regular scheduled tee times better be out back, and friggin Tiger Woods waiting in the pro shop to give lessons. I’ve seen less security at a country club, than the Waffen SS at Costco. What is so bloody special and exclusive about Sam's Club and Costco?

LMFAO! :D

Flash Bastard
01-09-2004, 04:13 PM
A good question, and one I don't have a solid answer for.

But I love Costco. Where else can you buy a three pound can of tuna fish?

BigBadBrian
01-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Flash Bastard

But I love Costco. Where else can you buy a three pound can of tuna fish?

That's a lot of sandwiches......

Little Texan
01-09-2004, 05:23 PM
That's a damn good question, one that I don't have an answer for. I guess it's a way of squeezing a little more money out of the customers than they already are, or, they are making you pay a fee so just in case you never shop there, they at least have made some money off of you.

Troy
01-09-2004, 07:38 PM
I fucking hate it. I have a key ring full of membership cards that don't do shit!

It's so they can send you junk mail and sell your name to telemarketers.

Ally_Kat
01-09-2004, 09:03 PM

I don't have to pay the Ford Motor Company an annual fee to be eligible to buy a Mustang GT.

I'd like to take this moment to state how much I dislike the new Mustangs. Those things look like they got hit with the ugly stick!

http://www.2005mustang.us/05/TorchRedGT1.jpg

They want to make 'em look like the older cars. They sorta came out looking like some weird BMWs. The only cool thing is the color thing on the dashboard.

Anyway, sorry. Back to the topic on hand...

Funkmonkey
01-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Little Texan
That's a damn good question, one that I don't have an answer for. I guess it's a way of squeezing a little more money out of the customers than they already are, or, they are making you pay a fee so just in case you never shop there, they at least have made some money off of you.

Have you ever noticed that every major retail grocery store has some sore of member/club savings card? I haven't seen any require fees yet, but surrendering personal contact information seems to allow one to purchase certain products on sale at a discount price. After checking around, I've found that the discount price often is the market value price and their "regular" price that non-card holders pay are an inflated price.

Funkmonkey
01-10-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
I'd like to take this moment to state how much I dislike the new Mustangs. Those things look like they got hit with the ugly stick!

Anyway, sorry. Back to the topic on hand...
Can you imagine if you were forced to purchase a trademark license just to gain permission to buy that GT?

I can understand, to an extent, how rental stores would need a membership policy since one is not purchasing their products. Take for instance Blockbuster. Their videos are rented for a specified time, and they need contact information to track down individuals that violate the terms of the rental agreement so that Blockbuster property could be recovered.

However, when you buy a five gallon jug of laundry detergent from Costco, it's yours. It's not Costco's anymore. It's a cash sale where you own it and Costco does not need to track you down to recover the product.

I can see no benefit to the consumer for any kind of membership and fee based subscription policy at these giant retail stores.

Someone please explain to me how I benefit from this corporate policy.

Flash Bastard
01-10-2004, 09:27 PM
I'm not too happy with waiting in line at Costco for 45 minutes because the lady in front of me has three carts full of groceries and only 5 checkstands are open.

Savings, my ass. My time is more valuable than saving 50 cents on a case of chicken soup.

thebuldawg
01-10-2004, 11:09 PM

Uck! Why do all headlights look like fish eyes anymore?

Igosplut
01-11-2004, 06:59 AM
I bet its all a front for a big drug operation........

What exactly IS in that three pound can of tuna??????

SensibleShoes
01-11-2004, 08:37 AM
'So why must I give valuable personal information and money for the privilege to patronize Sam's Club or Costco?"

You have answered your own question! You DON'T have to! If there's something in there you can't get anywhere else, they're counting n the fact you will bite on the membership.

Besides - their bananas suck.

thebuldawg
01-11-2004, 10:11 AM
I think I've figured out why people would want to give away that information.

FREE SAMPLES!

I hear entire families of rednecks will go in for entire meals. Personally, I think that the portions are too small.

Flash Bastard
01-11-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Igosplut

What exactly IS in that three pound can of tuna??????

About 40% dolphin chunks.

High Life Man
01-12-2004, 11:22 AM
Have you ever noticed that every major retail grocery store has some sore of member/club savings card?

Heh. True story....

In the western part of Wisconsin, there is a supermarket chain called Dick's.

You could join their saving club, aptly called "Dick's Insider Club."

No shit. I saw the billboard and just about drove my car into a tree.

Ally_Kat
01-12-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by thebuldawg
Personally, I think that the portions are too small.

That's why you go in groups!

Igosplut
01-12-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Flash Bastard
About 40% dolphin chunks.

Naw, dolphin tastes like chicken.......

thebuldawg
01-12-2004, 10:04 PM
That's why you go in groups!

Hell no! That means less for me! :D