PDA

View Full Version : Commander warns of al-Qaida threat to US

hideyoursheep
03-07-2008, 02:47 AM
Commander warns of al-Qaida threat to US By LOLITA C. BALDOR, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 3 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Al-Qaida terrorists may be plotting more urgently to attack the United States to maintain their credibility and ability to recruit followers, the U.S. military commander in charge of domestic defense said Thursday.

Air Force Gen. Gene Renuart, chief of the U.S. Northern Command, also told reporters he has not seen any direct threats tied to the U.S. presidential elections. But he said it would be rash to think that such threats are not there.

"We need only to look at Spain and see that they're certainly willing to try to do something that is significant that could affect an election process," Renuart said. "I think it would be imprudent of us to let down our guard believing that if there's no credible threat that you know of today, there won't be something tomorrow."

While he said that U.S. authorities have thwarted attacks on a number of occasions, he said terrorist cells may be working harder than ever to plot high-impact events. He did not point to any specific intelligence that authorities have received but said the "chatter" they are hearing "gives me no reason to believe they're going to slow down" in their efforts to target the U.S.

"If an organization like that is to maintain credibility and continue to grow more of its extremists, it has to show tangible results," Renuart said. "So I think there may be a certain sense of urgency among that organization to have an effect. So it would tell me that they're trying harder."

Asked about the terror threat, Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke said, "There continues to be no credible information telling us about an imminent threat to homeland at this time."

In July, U.S. intelligence analysts, in a threat assessment, concluded that al-Qaida had rebuilt its operating capability to a level not seen since just before the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The report said the terror network had regrouped along the Afghan-Pakistan border, but it also noted that officials knew of no specific credible threat of an attack on U.S. soil.

About the same time, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff raised eyebrows when he said he had a "gut feeling" that the United States faced a heightened risk of attack.

On Thursday, however, Chertoff said the U.S. has successfully lowered the risk of a large-scale domestic terrorist attack for the near future.

"We have significantly reduced the risk of a major attack in the short term," Chertoff told a group of editors at The Washington Post in a report posted online Thursday.

Chertoff said the U.S. effort was one of the reasons there has been an increase in attacks by Islamic extremists in Europe. Improvements in U.S. traveler screening and border security have shifted the focus of al-Qaida operatives and sympathizers to Europe, he said.

Renuart said that of the more than a dozen daily events that Northern Command responds to — ranging from natural disasters to threats — two or three may have the potential to be terrorist incidents.

The chatter, which included public audio and video tapes released on the Internet by al-Qaida leaders, suggests that they are looking for a way to have a big impact again, he said. Pressed for details, he said the chatter was more common but "whether that's louder or more ominous, I'm not sure I'm ready to draw that conclusion."

He did, however, repeat his assertion — which he first made in July — that he believes there are al-Qaida cells or sympathizers within the United States.

President Bush, in a speech Thursday, also said the United States remained under threat from terrorists. Marking the fifth anniversary of the creation of the Homeland Security Department, Bush said that in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks "it was hard to imagine that we would reach this milestone without another attack on our homeland."

Yet he said, "On this anniversary, we must also remember that the danger to our country has not passed. Since the attacks of 9/11, the terrorists have tried to strike our homeland again and again. We've disrupted numerous planned attacks — including a plot to fly an airplane into the tallest building on the West Coast and another to blow up passenger jets headed for America across the Atlantic Ocean."

Bush said the lesson is clear: "The enemy remains active, deadly in its intent — and in the face of this danger, the United States must never let down its guard."

___

AP White House Correspondent Terence Hunt and AP writer Eileen Sullivan contributed to this report.

___

On the Net:

U.S. Northern Command: http://www.northcom.mil/

hideyoursheep
03-07-2008, 02:50 AM
*ahem*

Originally posted by hideyoursheep
In July, U.S. intelligence analysts, in a threat assessment, concluded that al-Qaida had rebuilt its operating capability to a level not seen since just before the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The report said the terror network had regrouped along the Afghan-Pakistan border

:mad:

Seshmeister
03-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Commander warns of al-Qaida threat to US By LOLITA C. BALDOR, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 3 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Al-Qaida terrorists may be plotting more urgently to attack the United States to maintain their credibility and ability to recruit followers, the U.S. military commander in charge of domestic defense said Thursday.

Air Force Gen. Gene Renuart, chief of the U.S. Northern Command, also told reporters he has not seen any direct threats tied to the U.S. presidential elections. But he said it would be rash to think that such threats are not there.

"We need only to look at Spain and see that they're certainly willing to try to do something that is significant that could affect an election process," Renuart said. "I think it would be imprudent of us to let down our guard believing that if there's no credible threat that you know of today, there won't be something tomorrow."

While he said that U.S. authorities have thwarted attacks on a number of occasions, he said terrorist cells may be working harder than ever to plot high-impact events. He did not point to any specific intelligence that authorities have received but said the "chatter" they are hearing "gives me no reason to believe they're going to slow down" in their efforts to target the U.S.

"If an organization like that is to maintain credibility and continue to grow more of its extremists, it has to show tangible results," Renuart said. "So I think there may be a certain sense of urgency among that organization to have an effect. So it would tell me that they're trying harder."

Asked about the terror threat, Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke said, "There continues to be no credible information telling us about an imminent threat to homeland at this time."

In July, U.S. intelligence analysts, in a threat assessment, concluded that al-Qaida had rebuilt its operating capability to a level not seen since just before the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The report said the terror network had regrouped along the Afghan-Pakistan border, but it also noted that officials knew of no specific credible threat of an attack on U.S. soil.

About the same time, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff raised eyebrows when he said he had a "gut feeling" that the United States faced a heightened risk of attack.

On Thursday, however, Chertoff said the U.S. has successfully lowered the risk of a large-scale domestic terrorist attack for the near future.

"We have significantly reduced the risk of a major attack in the short term," Chertoff told a group of editors at The Washington Post in a report posted online Thursday.

Chertoff said the U.S. effort was one of the reasons there has been an increase in attacks by Islamic extremists in Europe. Improvements in U.S. traveler screening and border security have shifted the focus of al-Qaida operatives and sympathizers to Europe, he said.

Renuart said that of the more than a dozen daily events that Northern Command responds to — ranging from natural disasters to threats — two or three may have the potential to be terrorist incidents.

The chatter, which included public audio and video tapes released on the Internet by al-Qaida leaders, suggests that they are looking for a way to have a big impact again, he said. Pressed for details, he said the chatter was more common but "whether that's louder or more ominous, I'm not sure I'm ready to draw that conclusion."

He did, however, repeat his assertion — which he first made in July — that he believes there are al-Qaida cells or sympathizers within the United States.

President Bush, in a speech Thursday, also said the United States remained under threat from terrorists. Marking the fifth anniversary of the creation of the Homeland Security Department, Bush said that in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks "it was hard to imagine that we would reach this milestone without another attack on our homeland."

Yet he said, "On this anniversary, we must also remember that the danger to our country has not passed. Since the attacks of 9/11, the terrorists have tried to strike our homeland again and again. We've disrupted numerous planned attacks — including a plot to fly an airplane into the tallest building on the West Coast and another to blow up passenger jets headed for America across the Atlantic Ocean."

Bush said the lesson is clear: "The enemy remains active, deadly in its intent — and in the face of this danger, the United States must never let down its guard."

___

AP White House Correspondent Terence Hunt and AP writer Eileen Sullivan contributed to this report.

___

On the Net:

U.S. Northern Command: http://www.northcom.mil/

MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS!

Sarge's Little Helper
03-07-2008, 08:18 AM
MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS! MUST KEEP UP THE FEAR LEVELS!

Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.

Seshmeister
03-07-2008, 08:22 AM
http://www.fulana.org/images/if-you-fear-something_full.jpg

LoungeMachine
03-07-2008, 09:11 AM
I thought we were fighting them over there, so we wouldnt have to fight them over here????

Tell me again what we spent 3 trillion dollars for?

knuckleboner
03-07-2008, 10:33 AM

WASHINGTON - Al-Qaida terrorists may be plotting more urgently to attack the United States

aha. may. can't dispute a maybe. well played, sir. well played.

Little Texan
03-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Methinks this is a ploy by the Bush administration to scare people into voting for McCain in November, and thus keep Bush's stupid, costly war going in Iraq for at least another 4 years!

Seshmeister
03-07-2008, 11:14 AM
[B]Improvements in U.S. traveler screening and border security have shifted the focus of al-Qaida operatives and sympathizers to Europe, he said.

Good thing that the ultra powerful al-Queda terrorist network isn't as smart as the average Mexican fruit picker!

DLR'sCock
03-07-2008, 04:32 PM
It would be interesting to see the financial records of all of the parties that have made profits from this war, those who have directly profitted and indirectly profitted.

hideyoursheep
03-09-2008, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Good thing that the ultra powerful al-Queda terrorist network isn't as smart as the average Mexican fruit picker!

I myself have always maintained that the "immigrators" would
police themselves.

They definitely don't want anyone fucking that up for them.
It's damn near impossible for Arabs to assimilate or interact
within those ranks without being detected and weeded out.

In whitebread terms, THEY CAN TELL WHO'S WHO BETTER THAN WE CAN.

jhale667
03-09-2008, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
I thought we were fighting them over there, so we wouldnt have to fight them over here????

Would love to know the answer to that one myself...

Originally posted by knuckleboner
aha. may. can't dispute a maybe.

Especially when you're fear-mongering...my question: Party-wise, is it either/or/both/ALL?? It's an old-standard repuke-wise, but Hilary seems to be pulling it out of the hat (3AM. anywone?)first on the Democant(/could?) side, at least...

well played, sir. well played.

Those sick bastards! Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! :rolleyes: :mad:

As the great Bill Hicks once said "Go back to sleep, America! We figured it all out for you!"

Nickdfresh
03-09-2008, 10:16 AM
I think the al Qaeda attacks would have been much more effective right after 9/11. They're a little late, but then, some people have to justify their torture...

hideyoursheep
03-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

Exactly.

This is what happens when your commander-in-chief changes
the primary objective and refocuses most of our resources
on an unrelated situation and creates another problem.

All the reason we should need for impeachment.
Incompetence.

Fighting 2 fronts isn't where you want to put yourself.
It didn't work too well for a certain mustache wearing
Austrian, either.

Baby's On Fire
03-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Little Texan
Methinks this is a ploy by the Bush administration to scare people into voting for McCain in November, and thus keep Bush's stupid, costly war going in Iraq for at least another 4 years!

McCain wants to keep it going for 100 years.

And people will still vote for that fucking idiot.

bueno bob
03-16-2008, 12:01 AM
McCain is the smartest choice, and the most opportunistic choice, for Republicans across the board at this point...a bonus being that he's generally likable across the board to Democrats as well.

However, given the EXTREMELY low approval ratings Bush (and Republican policy in general) has been scoring for the last four years (or more!), I don't think there's much shot of John getting into the White House this time around. Certainly a better and more charismatic candidate than Mitt Romey or Mike Huckabee were...

Best chance at the title McCain has is if Hillary gets the nod, because apart from extreme democrats in the female quadrant, she's not an easily likable person...hell, even Bill can't sell her and that really says a lot...

As far as terrorist actions, this is just bullshit to scare the bible belt into their rightful places before things escalate and they actually start thinking for themselves.

Baby's On Fire
03-16-2008, 12:10 AM
The smartest choice?

A guy who admits to knowing nothing about the economy and is focused solely on continuing the Iraq war for 100 more years if necessary, is the smartest choice?

I suppose in comparison to Chimpy, you're right......

bueno bob
03-16-2008, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Baby's On Fire
The smartest choice?

A guy who admits to knowing nothing about the economy and is focused solely on continuing the Iraq war for 100 more years if necessary, is the smartest choice?

I suppose in comparison to Chimpy, you're right......

I certainly don't think they'd be able to appeal better to the waning democratic side or the undecided with dolts like Mitt Romney or Mike Huckabee leading the pack...in that sense, yes, I believe McCain was the smartest choice to give the Republican nomination to. At the very least he's charismatic, and after the Repubs themselves know that Bush has made them a reviled camp even amongst themselves, a guy with charisma has got to be far more important to them right now than anybody who has any good ideas (if such things exist in Repub Land, which I'll hold my own council about).

Public image must be priority number one for the Repubs now, more than anything else. Fuck, McCain can't screw anything up worse than Bush has, you know...they know it, too....

Baby's On Fire
03-16-2008, 12:25 AM
In that context, I agree.

I really meant to say that there really is no choice, if McCain is the only option.

This is a guy who will continue to bankrupt the USA if he's put into power.

It's beyond belief that this guy could be elected.

Bush is an idiot....McCain is supposed to be intelligent. But how can a guy who is willing to bankrupt the USA by continuing the Iraq war be considered intelligent?

There is no money to even pay social security even if the ENTIRE Federal Budget is devoted to social security, and yet he wants to spend trillions on the war.

(And the Comptroller General of the United States himself has stated this on 60 Minutes, that even if the entire Federal Budget is devoted to social security alone, it STILL cannot balance, and the USA will be bankrupt in 20 years)

It's beyond belief.......

hey I love The United States....I just returned from Miami and LOVE that place. I'm re-considering moving there, I like your country so much. Love the highway system.......

bueno bob
03-16-2008, 12:33 AM
In that context, I agree.

I really meant to say that there really is no choice, if McCain is the only option.

This is a guy who will continue to bankrupt the USA if he's put into power.

It's beyond belief that this guy could be elected.

In those terms, I completely agree...I am concerned that it could become a very realistic thing to see, though, if Hillary gets the democratic nod (which is still a very possible thing to have happen yet). At the end of the day, it isn't economic policy, overseas policy or health plan/tax policy that sells a runner - it's charisma, and simply put Hill just doesn't have it.

Bush is an idiot....McCain is supposed to be intelligent. But how can a guy who is willing to bankrupt the USA by continuing the Iraq war be considered intelligent?

There is no money to even pay social security even if the ENTIRE Federal Budget is devoted to social security, and yet he wants to spend trillions on the war.

This is, sadly, what most people just aren't thinking about.

(And the Comptroller General of the United States himself has stated this on 60 Minutes, that even if the entire Federal Budget is devoted to social security alone, it STILL cannot balance, and the USA will be bankrupt in 20 years)

It's beyond belief.......

True. That road was being paved when Regan was President, and probably even before then, I'd imagine...Bill did a bit to ease the pain, but the first four months of Bush set all that on the back track, I think.

hey I love The United States....I just returned from Miami and LOVE that place. I'm re-considering moving there, I like your country so much. Love the highway system.......

Glad you had a good trip, man.