PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Buckley

Coyote
03-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Ok, for the past few months, I've been hearing this guys name like he was the second coming of Christ, coming to a theatre near you.

And I've checked out a few songs...

My question is:

Why is this guy so praised?

Is it the songs?
Is it the voice?
Is it the fact that he died age 30?
Is it the fact that he died swimming, without the "aid" of drugs or booze?

Did he usher in a new era in songwriting?
(If he did, I hold him personally responsible for giving people like Coldplay the audacity to do their own brand of castrated shit.)

Or is he just a "critically acclaimed" dead guy?

Discuss...

binnie
03-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Well, he's definitely over-rated. But then anybody who receives that kind of worship is over-rated as no-one has that kind of single-handed impact. And, of course, being dead always seems to make you cooler...

There are plenty of negatives here: he only released one album, half of which consisted of covers. And the demos which remained of the second album he was working on are, for the most part, shit.

However, the later point may not tell us much as he used to work most of his stuff out in the studio. And whilst he may have only released one album, it's one hell of a fuckin' album. Coldplay? Yeah, they're probably ripping him off, but they don't have the musical depth, songwriting skills or muscianship to even come close. "Grace" was released in 1994 - think about was else was going on in 1994 and you see how unique he was.

His voice is sublime, and he had an immense range. The dude from Muse is totally ripping him off there. And according to my musician friends, the chord sequences Jeff was using were out-of-this-world. Apparently Jimmy Page agrees....

"Mojo Pin", "Hallelujah", "Lilac Wine", "Eternal Life" (great riff) are all excellent tunes, and the emotion on display is heartwrenching.

I don't think he's the second coming of Christ, nor do I think he deserves the adulation he receives (but no-one does) - but he was very talented, gifted and unique musician, and we can only imagine what he might have produced had he been allowed to peak....

Howlin' Wolf
03-18-2008, 01:14 AM
It would be nice if Roth fans listened to more Jeff Buckley and less Dokken or Rush.

Coyote
03-18-2008, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by Howlin' Wolf
It would be nice if Roth fans listened to more Jeff Buckley and less Dokken or Rush.

It would also be nice if we'd all have supermodels/strippers/random women at our disposal, wouldn't it?

binnie
03-18-2008, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Coyote
It would also be nice if we'd all have supermodels/strippers/random women at our disposal, wouldn't it?

Yes, yes it would :D