PDA

View Full Version : Fair Warning

LittleDreamerVH
03-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Fair Warning, when it came to the charts, wasn't that big of a hit, but with songs like Mean Street, Sinner's Swing, and "Dirty Movies", I really think that the album had a lot more potential than was actually seen, maybe just a fault on the PR's side... lol jk. All in all, Fair Warning, i loved it.

Coyote
03-18-2008, 04:16 PM
For me, it's a "that's what I want my guitar to sound like!"-album.

kwame k
03-18-2008, 05:44 PM
How about a little

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GKBKRt5xl3k&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GKBKRt5xl3k&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Eyes of the Night
03-19-2008, 12:28 AM
Yo KK, that's one killer clip! have some stars ... never seen that one and I have argentina 83' ...

As for FW the album, it was to dark ...

binnie
03-19-2008, 07:23 AM
It's arguably CVH's best record. You just can't argue with the songs on it, and for my money it's Dave's best set of lyrics...

Panamark
03-19-2008, 07:31 AM
VH1, Fair Warning and 1984....

thats my fave half of the big six....

Top of their game on FW....

I love the dark sound, a metal classic album......

kwame k
03-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Eyes
Yo KK, that's one killer clip! have some stars ... never seen that one and I have argentina 83' ...

Thanks Eyes. It's labeled on You Tube as Brazil 83'. I never seen that one either.

Fair Warning was a dark record but I never get tired of it. Kind of stoopid to say since I never get tired of any CVH.

I agree that Dave's Lyrics are great on that record. Eddie's playing is outstanding, Alex is great, and "Whoever played bass" or Bassplayer was solid.

jztbcz
03-19-2008, 12:50 PM
That's an awesome clip .......................

Terry
03-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Fair Warning has such a great SOUND. Whereas Diver Down was a bit too dry and had too much emphasis on the treble end of the eq and 1984 was a bit too polished, Fair Warning had a perfect balance in terms of the eq. Along with the first album, FW just SOUNDED the best to these ears - very crisp.

The band was really focused as well. Juxtapose that with Diver Down, where they sound like they're partying a bit too much at times while recording.

The songs on FW are all pretty much top-notch (I even enjoy Sunday Afternoon In The Park and One Foot Out The Door), the individual performances are stellar and the guitar solos are tremendous...

It's pretty much the apex of the band for me. They went on to become even bigger with the two albums that followed, but they never quite got any better.

Little Lamont
03-23-2008, 10:23 PM
FW ia a fuckin masterpiece.

Dan
03-23-2008, 11:17 PM
"Mean Street" – 5:00†
"Dirty Movies" – 4:08
"Sinner's Swing!" – 3:09
"Hear About It Later" – 4:35
"Unchained" – 3:29†
"Push Comes to Shove" – 3:49†
"So This Is Love?" – 3:06†
"Sunday Afternoon in the Park" – 1:59
"One Foot Out the Door" – 1:58

Great Album.:)

Bob Brubake
03-26-2008, 03:18 PM
My favorite of the classic VH albums. I remember watching MTV in 1982 waiting and waiting for one of the live videos from Oakland. Incredible.

hideyoursheep
03-27-2008, 08:42 AM
It's kinda like "Master Of Puppets"

Not their biggest, but many think it's the best.

It grows on you.

Then it grows on everybody else...

Radio wasn't ready for "Unchained".

"Hear About It Later" I think got played alot more often.

"Sinners Swing" wasn't gonna get played! :)

I call a tie this and WACF.

It's personal. :)

They were both heavier than the first 2.

chi-town324
12-21-2008, 05:06 PM
"Show biz is so thrilling, the camera roll shes willing"

Terry
12-23-2008, 06:25 PM
They won't believe it when they
See what they're seeing

Go see ba..by nooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaha-haaaaaaaaaaaa!

PumpedUpMidget
12-27-2008, 02:32 PM
One of the greatest albums of all time...

ELVIS
01-07-2009, 04:47 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ykUgaR6kmSE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ykUgaR6kmSE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:elvis:

ELVIS
01-07-2009, 04:51 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ozmwfHFmLoY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ozmwfHFmLoY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ELVIS
01-07-2009, 05:04 AM
This aint too bad...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7kvIgwIsySQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7kvIgwIsySQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

GAR
01-07-2009, 01:41 PM
DD has always seemed like an EP to me, too short, not enough playtime.. what is it, like 24 mins?

Diver Down= worst bang for the VH buck of 'em all.

GAR
01-07-2009, 01:45 PM
This aint too bad...

Did Dave do the Jack-Jerk on Mean Street last year with Ed?

Figs
01-09-2009, 11:57 PM
FW is the harcore VH fans' favorite

flappo
02-05-2009, 05:44 AM
this is like comparing the finest beluga caviar to dog shit

Craggy
02-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Totally over rated album. I don't like most of the tracks, though Unchained kicks ass. Too much of a disco sound or somethin.

78/84 guy
02-05-2009, 11:57 PM
[QUOTE=ELVIS;1310258]This aint too bad...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7kvIgwIsySQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7kvIgwIsySQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That's the shit right there. Ed should watch this clip !!

house0paincakes
02-06-2009, 11:12 AM

Too dark? Haha. No way!

They shouldn't have faded out ONE FOOT OUT THE DOOR so soon. Edward was on fire.

DLR7884
02-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Totally over rated album. I don't like most of the tracks, though Unchained kicks ass. Too much of a disco sound or somethin.

You are a moron. Disco? We are talking about Van Halen, not KI$$.

DLR7884
You must be a troll, your agenda here is completely transparent.:dickhead:

kwame k
02-06-2009, 09:52 PM

I agree with DLR7884
.....who the fuck are you? Disco??????? The album is called Fair Warning......go buy it and actually listen to it.........Disco.......what a moron!

78/84 guy
02-07-2009, 01:50 PM
No disco !!!

thome
02-08-2009, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=ELVIS;1310258]This aint too bad...

That's the shit right there. Ed should watch this clip !!

That look that lineup If Toshi walked on stage also with those 4 to make it THE FIVE was the last time I saw Dave live, Solo.

I wish there was a pro shot of that tour June 2001 here in KC Holy Fukk was it something to see. I was about 17th row center isle seats.. in a 3000 seat venue..and the babe I was dating at the time, outstanding......I think I paid aboot 40 bucks a ticket.....Damn Great TIMES!....... WAhOOOOOOOOOOOOooo!!!

I cannot describe to you how wicked Lomenzo was just tight fukking TIGHT!! This Band is TIGHT!

78/84 Guy .............................5

I just saw Elvis posted this first ...5 Fukk it Fives all around lol

binnie
02-08-2009, 01:40 PM

Why post on this board then?

DLR7884
02-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Why post on this board then?

Because he's an asshole.

DLR7884
That's why. ;)

Diamondjimi
02-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Did Dave do the Jack-Jerk on Mean Street last year with Ed?

NO ,thank god....

Top Jimmy
02-09-2009, 04:25 PM
never seen that one and I have argentina 83' ...

he ain't speakin' spanish, that's portuguese..

This is from Sao Paulo...83 I think..
I have it on a VHS somewhere

Diamondjimi
05-06-2009, 04:28 PM
DIE SPAMMER DIE!!!

Motherfuckers. Like anyone actually gives a fuck what they're whoring!?

Can someone deleat that shit? :cool:

houseofpain
05-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Fair Warning is my workout album of choice. 1984 is my favorite VH album and always will be, but Fair Warning is probably the single handed most ferocious body of work from the mighty vh!

davehagarfan
06-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Fair Warning, when it came to the charts, wasn't that big of a hit, but with songs like Mean Street, Sinner's Swing, and "Dirty Movies", I really think that the album had a lot more potential than was actually seen, maybe just a fault on the PR's side... lol jk. All in all, Fair Warning, i loved it.

It's a flawless album except for Push, Saturday Afternoon and One Foot. Those 3 songs prevent it from being CVH's "best"

Since we're on the subject, is it just me or does Diver Down get alot of unfair and undue criticism? Both from the Sisters and alot of fans, ironically from alot of Dave fans since it really is a "Dave" album and I think one of the sole reasons Ed hates it so much. Dave and Ted were in the driver's seat for alot of it. Except for Dancing in the Streets it is a flawless album. But what about all the cover songs? Van Halen cut their teeth on being a cover band. The covers they chose were killer and mostly obscure. The front and back cover art and concept are the shit and the inside album sleeve is bad. To me it's a kind of "salute" to their club days but at the same time says look how far we've come.

LittleDreamerVH
06-29-2009, 11:19 PM
It's a flawless album except for Push, Saturday Afternoon and One Foot. Those 3 songs prevent it from being CVH's "best"

Really.....? EXCEPT for Push? Who doesn't love that laid back rhythm that Ed provides with those few random lines of dialogue by Dave? I for one FUCKING love Push Comes to Shove... All I have left to say is: Give me another cigarette... Is there anything left in that bottle...?

davehagarfan
07-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Really.....? EXCEPT for Push? Who doesn't love that laid back rhythm that Ed provides with those few random lines of dialogue by Dave? I for one FUCKING love Push Comes to Shove... All I have left to say is: Give me another cigarette... Is there anything left in that bottle...?

Sorry LittleDreamer but Push just never did it for me....it is the better song out of those 3....if you can even cuntsider Sunday Afternoon....note I can't keep the title straight...that's how much I like it...I've hated it since I first heard it back in 1983..... and OTOTD "songs" For me, they've always been anti-climatic....not sure who fell asleep on the console after a 4 day coke bender with those songs.

If you want to go for the weird stuff Loss of Control is better then all 3 of those. Most of that album is the shit but those last couple of tracks kill it for me. Otherwise it's flawless

OULUVROTH2
07-12-2009, 04:07 AM
I have to say that Fair Warning IS a great workout album of choice... Lately, I have been listening to converted You Tube Vid/Songs...

So, try UNCHAINED live in the headphones!!

hideyoursheep
07-12-2009, 05:00 AM
Short workout, 1 song.....wouldn't you say?

ppg960
07-15-2009, 12:38 AM
It's arguably CVH's best record. You just can't argue with the songs on it, and for my money it's Dave's best set of lyrics...

Couldn't agree more. The whole album just had a sinister sound to it.
"I Don't Want to Hear About it Later" kicks ass live.

ODShowtime
09-02-2009, 12:29 AM
in my opinion One Foot Out the Door features one of Ed's best solos. I liked the earlier idea to extend the fade out, but it was perfect. I liked Sunday afternoon in the park more once I started smoking.

Tony whitfield
09-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Kick ass lp

it was a big hit 2 me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Superhero/rockstar

tony w

so be it

so shall it be!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

flappo
09-06-2009, 12:35 PM

and the solo is a fucking all time classic

twitzilla
09-26-2009, 11:52 PM
Push Comes to Shove really is the shit.

UK ROCKER
10-21-2009, 09:33 AM
great record, but why were there albums so short on time? always about 30mins

Goldfinger
10-25-2009, 03:49 PM
For me, it's a "that's what I want my guitar to sound like!"-album.

EXACTLY. Couldn't say it better myself.

Coyote
10-25-2009, 06:46 PM
great record, but why were there albums so short on time? always about 30mins

Longer album = less bass on the vinyl...

Seshmeister
10-26-2009, 12:13 AM
I think I heard them use that excuse.

It may be technically true but I don't believe that was the reason for a minute, I just think they didn't take or have the time to do any more because of all the touring.

Looking at your age you may not realize how annoying it was in the days of LP records as opposed to CDs never mind huge mp3 shuffles.

I have a strong memory of summertime, get a nice cool beer, put the album on in the house and go outside. Lie down in the sun.

Perfect.

Apart from having to get up every fucking 14 minutes...

Big Troubles
10-26-2009, 10:25 AM
i think if they polled the fans they would all agree that the next album should sound more like FW and less like 1984. FW 2? Warned Unfairly? Unfairly Warned? Or Fairly Warned! Double the length, add to the attitude (if possible) and for Christ Sakes hurry up! I like Hear About it Later, Dirty Movies & Sunday Aft. in the Park the best for creativity.