PDA

View Full Version : DVD backups, Mac or PC, and their programs...

lazlor
03-21-2008, 11:20 AM
hey all,

I've got a 10 month old, and a 3 year old, and they've decided its fun to use my/their dvd's as frisbees, teething toys, or whatever strikes them at the moment.

So, I've decided to back up the dvds... and found I'm a total neophyte when it comes to doing this.

My goal: rip my dvds, then put them onto new dvds as backups to sit in the closet, with the same amount of data/detail/whatever ie: a perfect copy.

I've come across "Handbrake" for the Mac, along with Mac the Ripper. Am i correct in saying that these programs will rip them, but not burn them?

And what is the final setting I should use for an output, that is the equivalent of a dvd (ie: there are ipod settings, iphone settings etc, but all those shrink down the sizes .... I need to know what a dvd actually "is"... is it the h.264 setting?)

Im open to PC programs, as my laptop burns dvds, but I believe my Imac has the ability to burn to double layer dvds and the vaio doesn't.. not sure.

..and before someone screams piracy... I've worked in the film/tv biz for almost 20 years, and if anything, this is keeping money from flying OUT of my wallet...

appreciate the help all...

laz

Northern Girl
03-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Hopefully flappo will see this and help you. He is the resident Mac daddy.

Little Lamont
03-21-2008, 03:59 PM
If you want to back up your DVDs to new discs, Mactheripper is the way to go. Handbrake is better for ripping DVDs to your iPod.

Once mactheripper has done its magic, you'll have a copy of the DVD on your desktop. Then you need Toast to burn the new disc.

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast/titanium/overview.html

Right on.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
03-21-2008, 04:06 PM
I've come across "Handbrake" for the Mac, along with Mac the Ripper. Am i correct in saying that these programs will rip them, but not burn them?

Those programs are excellent. I am a Mac head too... so I can help with anything you want. Handbrake can copy in a variety of ways. Mac rhw iper can make perfect dvd decruopted images

Little Lamont
03-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Yep. Neither Handbrake or Mactheripper will burn a disc. You need Toast for that.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
03-21-2008, 04:57 PM
And it's not hard to get a copy of toast free if you catch my drift.

lazlor
03-21-2008, 05:35 PM
ok... for those that are using Mac the Ripper.... I've read that it is an older program and wont go around most of the newer copy protect..

true or false?

(crossing fingers lol)

ok... onto find toast, priced.. or otherwise heh

Little Lamont
03-21-2008, 05:57 PM
The version that you download for free does a good job on most movies.
Version 3 is in beta form and you have to make a donation to get it. It will do almost all DVDs. The only one I've never been able to rip with anything is Rush Hour 3.

lazlor
03-22-2008, 10:09 AM
the funny thing, i can't find a link ANYWHERE that will take me to MTR 2.6.6 that works...
sigh....

anyone?

MERRYKISSMASS2U
03-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by lazlor
the funny thing, i can't find a link ANYWHERE that will take me to MTR 2.6.6 that works...
sigh....

anyone?

http://www.macupdate.com/download.php/14414/mactheripper266.dmg.zip