PDA

View Full Version : California GOP shows it's true colors.

hideyoursheep
12-16-2008, 05:20 AM
A SLAP DOWN RATHER THAN A HAND UP!

State GOP Seeks $22 Billion In Cuts, Borrowing
SACRAMENTO (AP) ― Republican lawmakers on Monday rehashed their proposals for large cuts to education and social service programs, while raiding other funds to close part of California's massive budget shortfall.

"We believe there's a way to do this without taxes," said Assembly Minority Leader Mike Villines, R-Clovis.

Villines and Senate Minority Leader Dave Cogdill, R-Modesto, released a plan that they said would free up more than $22 billion in state spending and continued to press for a spending cap and business tax credits. However, both Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's administration and Democratic leaders said the proposal failed to address a cash shortage two months away.

Assembly Speaker Karen Bass, D-Los Angeles, said Democrats planned to put up a budget package Tuesday consisting of roughly $9 billion in revenues and $8 billion in cuts so the state could weather a cash crisis this February.

The GOP plan included cuts to education totaling more than $10 billion in the next 18 months and about $6.5 billion largely by taking funds designated for children's and mental health programs. The proposal to take money from California's First 5 and Mental Health Services Act would require voter approval in the spring.

Republicans also proposed a 5 percent salary cut for lawmakers and are seeking to ask poor families enrolled in the state's welfare-to-work program to accept a 10 percent reduction.

http://cbs13.com/local/california.republican.budget.2.888029.html

GO-SPURS-GO
12-16-2008, 03:03 PM
My God, there are people in that state that can afford a 20,000 dollar baby stroller! They need to raise the taxes on the rich and put that money back into those social service programs. I hear the education system over there is screwed up, so something has to be done about that. But, not sure if cutting 10 billion is the answer. Taking funds designated for children's and mental health programs is pathetic! :anger:

Big Train
01-06-2009, 12:43 AM
This state is fucked across the board. Stimulating business HAS to be the most important thing, in order to fund the rest of it. While I agree education in California is a joke (and why I have to pay to send my kids elsewhere), the core problems of this state are rampant and endless "programs" for everything. Cuts, painful as they are, need to be made.

Can't cut education, hurts the "children". Can't cut aid to illegals "not humane". Can't cut anywhere on the basis of those two points (roads, schools, taxes, you name it). If we cut the business credits, in a state that is already VERY difficult to do business in, then we would lose immigrants and children, as people went elsewhere.

Until the budget is balanced, we can't do anything, that's a plain fact. The only way to balance the budget is to stimulate more business, therefore more tax revenue. It's really not that complicated.

sadaist
01-06-2009, 03:21 AM
Republicans also proposed a 5 percent salary cut for lawmakers and are seeking to ask poor families enrolled in the state's welfare-to-work program to accept a 10 percent reduction.

From what I've heard today on this from local news & radio, it is not a cut as it is being presented or some would like you to believe. It is a cut in a proposed increase. For example raise salary X by 20%, then reduce it to raise salary X by 15%. Still an overall increase in salary, but it can be falsely or inaccurately portrayed as a 5% cut.

The recipients of any increase will receive much more sympathy from the taxpayers if we think they are getting less money. If we knew that they just weren't getting as big of a raise overall, the feeling would be much different.

Dr. Love
01-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Thread fails to specify colors, 0/5 would not read again

LoungeMachine
01-06-2009, 01:57 PM
There is also a typo in the thread title.

Points deducted.

:gulp:

hideyoursheep
01-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Thread fails to specify colors, 0/5 would not read again

There is also a typo in the thread title.

Points deducted.

What's wrong?

LoungeMachine
01-06-2009, 06:59 PM
What's wrong?

it's

should be its

Further points deducted for arguing the call......

:cry:

hideyoursheep
01-06-2009, 07:24 PM
:dork::o