PDA

View Full Version : Promoter: Pacquiao, Hatton could fight in May

Island Boy
12-19-2008, 09:47 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/8962160/Promoter:-Pacquiao,-Hatton-could-fight-in-May

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Manny Pacquiao and Ricky Hatton are close to finalizing a deal to meet in a 140-pound bout on May 2, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told The Associated Press on Thursday.

The proposed fight, likely to be held in Las Vegas, would match boxing's unofficial pound-for-pound champion against one of the world's most popular brawlers, assuredly generating huge paydays for both fighters.

"I'm encouraged by the way it's going, and I'm talking to the Hattons (on Friday) again," Schaefer said. "You really have two of the most popular fighters of their generation fighting each other, and that's the kind of fight we want to make."

Pacquiao (48-3-2, 36 KOs) seems to be at the peak of his skills and international fame after stopping Oscar De La Hoya in their long-anticipated bout Dec. 6. The Filipino star had never fought above 135 pounds (61 kilograms), but he moved up two weight classes to batter De La Hoya, who didn't get off his stool after the eighth round.

He would move back down one weight class to face Hatton (45-1, 32 KOs), the hard-living English star who won his last bout against Paulie Malignaggi on Nov. 22, defending his 140-pound title. Hatton won twice this year after the only loss of his career, to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in December 2007.

Schaefer said the sides are still negotiating the fight's location, but he would like to see it in boxing's capital city.

"This is a fight with tremendous global appeal, and both of them have built up a very strong following here," Schaefer said. "With Manny's following in Asia and Ricky's support in Europe, you could say Las Vegas is the center of everything."

Golden Boy has a promotional deal with Hatton. Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, who represents Pacquiao, was traveling back from the Philippines on Thursday after celebrating Pacquiao's title.

Schaefer also will soon make a formal announcement of a Feb. 28 bout in Houston between Juan Manuel Marquez and Juan Diaz.

Marquez (49-4-1, 36 KOs), the Mexican star who has been Pacquiao's toughest opponent in recent years, won his lightweight debut in late September, stopping Cuba's Joel Casamayor.

Diaz (34-1, 17 KOs), a longtime lightweight champion, won his comeback fight against Australia's Michael Katsidis in September after losing his three 135-pound title belts last March to Nate Campbell.

binnie
12-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Pacquiao should really give Juan Manuel Marquez another shot, as he's yet to beat him convincingly (JMM won both fights, IMO and I'm a HUGE Pacman fan.)

Pac-Hatton will be a war. I think it's a bad fight for Hatton though, as Manny will be too quick with his hands and will unload combinations if Ricky rushes in. Ricky's chance is to turn it into a close fight and use his superior size and strength - it the fight is fought on the outside Pacman will win either by late stoppage or UD. Ricky's pressure will keep it competitive though.

Looking forward to it.

DlocRoth
12-21-2008, 02:09 AM
NO WAY Hatton can keep up with Pacman. Richard won't be able to get off.

Island Boy
12-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Pacquiao should really give Juan Manuel Marquez another shot, as he's yet to beat him convincingly (JMM won both fights, IMO and I'm a HUGE Pacman fan.)

Pac-Hatton will be a war. I think it's a bad fight for Hatton though, as Manny will be too quick with his hands and will unload combinations if Ricky rushes in. Ricky's chance is to turn it into a close fight and use his superior size and strength - it the fight is fought on the outside Pacman will win either by late stoppage or UD. Ricky's pressure will keep it competitive though.

Looking forward to it.

I totally agree!!! I still dont think hatton has a chance.

binnie
12-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Oh it'd be competitive, we have to bear in mind that Pacman's last two fight's flatter him:

Diaz is a journeyman who got lucky, and was slower than erosion

And De La Hoya was weight-drained and got old over night.

Not taking anything away from Pacman, he's had a great 2009, but we shouldn't assume he could handle Hatton as easily. I still think Manny would be too quick, but Ricky would make the night agony for him especially in the early rounds.

I have a feeling that Floyd will come out of retirement for Pacman though....

jhale667
12-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Oh it'd be competitive, we have to bear in mind that Pacman's last two fight's flatter him:

Not taking anything away from Pacman, he's had a great 2009, but we shouldn't assume he could handle Hatton as easily. I still think Manny would be too quick, but Ricky would make the night agony for him especially in the early rounds.

I'd love to see that fight...Floyd would have his hands full, but I think he'd take it...

binnie
12-22-2008, 05:54 AM
I'd love to see that fight...Floyd would have his hands full, but I think he'd take it...

Much as I love Manny, and dislike Floyd, I can't see anything other than a PBF victory.

I'd give JMM a better than average chance of beating Manny in a rematch too.

Love the Pacman and agree that he's No.1, but he's not unbeatable by any stretch of the imagination.

DlocRoth
12-22-2008, 03:10 PM

And you're saying that Hatton hasn't lost it? He's looked like the shell of his former self since the beating he took from Floyd.

binnie
12-22-2008, 05:08 PM
And you're saying that Hatton hasn't lost it? He's looked like the shell of his former self since the beating he took from Floyd.

He's nearing the end of his career, that's for sure. However, he looked pretty damn good against Paulie Mallignaggi: more measured, composed, and with good timing and power. He still gets hit too much though.

I don't see Manny walking over him the way he could over David Diaz and a fucked De La Hoya. Same way I don't see Manny walking over a lot of fighters in the division below, like Nate Campbell. He'd most likely win, but it'd be competitive...

DlocRoth
12-27-2008, 02:42 AM
He's nearing the end of his career, that's for sure. However, he looked pretty damn good against Paulie Mallignaggi: more measured, composed, and with good timing and power. He still gets hit too much though.

I don't see Manny walking over him the way he could over David Diaz and a fucked De La Hoya. Same way I don't see Manny walking over a lot of fighters in the division below, like Nate Campbell. He'd most likely win, but it'd be competitive...

I respectfully DISagree, my friend.

Hatton is a punching bag now...nothing more. Manny would KO Hatton no problem. The only reason Hatton looked good against Paulie is because everyone knows that my granny hits harder than him. Hatton didn't have to show him any respect.:guzzle:

binnie
01-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Rumour has it that this fight is finally signed for May 2nd.

52-48 split in Pacman's favour with around a $12 million dollar guarantee for him.

I think it'll be a good one.

binnie
01-23-2009, 11:40 AM
I respectfully DISagree, my friend.

Hatton is a punching bag now...nothing more. Manny would KO Hatton no problem. The only reason Hatton looked good against Paulie is because everyone knows that my granny hits harder than him. Hatton didn't have to show him any respect.:guzzle:

True 'dat.

It could equally be said that the major reason Pacman looked so good against ODLH was because only a shell of the former man turned up that night. oscar has nothing in that fight.

It could also be said that, although Manny looked SENSATIONAL against David Diaz at 135lbs, he was fighting a slow, one dimensional fighter with no real power.

We have to remeber that those two performances may flatter Manny - over 130lbs, he hasn't really fought an ELITE fighter - if he'd beaten say Nate Campell, Juan Diaz, or Casamayora at 135lbs, and Miguel Cotto at 147lbs (hell, even Andre Berto), I'd agree with you that he'd walk over Hatton. But I think it'll be closer than some you're giving Ricky credit for.

Either way, either guy is an easy payday for Mayweather.

binnie
04-29-2009, 08:14 AM
Bumping this because the fight is this Saturday - predictions?