PDA

View Full Version : Warner Music content dissappearing from Youtube

hideyoursheep
12-21-2008, 06:04 AM
:(
Warner Music Corp.'s videos and songs began disappearing from the YouTube videosharing Web site early Saturday after talks to renegotiate a licensing deal stalled.

It isn't clear whether the decision to remove the content was made by Warner Music or YouTube. But regardless, the dispute may indicate the start of a broader dispute between YouTube and the music industry over the value of music content on the site.

Warner, like the three other major-label groups, licensed its recording and music-publishing catalogs to YouTube shortly before the site's acquisition by Google Inc. in 2006. In exchange for the use of their music videos and songs, the music companies are paid a share of revenue generated by ads displayed alongside both their content and user-generated content that contains their music.

People in the music industry generally say that music videos don't command significant advertising fees online, and Warner executives have privately expressed frustration with the amount of money they receive from YouTube.

In theory, the new development means that YouTube users cannot view music videos by Warner artists, including Led Zeppelin, Aretha Franklin and Linkin Park. It also means that any video -- even one that is homemade -- that features music by a Warner artist, or written by a songwriter published by Warner/Chappell Music Publishing, won't be available, either.

As of midday Saturday, however, many Warner music videos remained on YouTube.

Warner's record labels, including Atlantic Records and Warner Bros., have 21% of the U.S. recorded music market. Warner/Chappell is the third-largest music publisher in the U.S.

All four major music companies' licenses are up for renewal in March 2009, and all are in the midst of renegotiating. It is not clear whether the other majors -- Vivendi SA's Universal Music Group, Sony Corp.'s Sony BMG Music Entertainment and EMI Group Ltd. -- could reach similar impasses.

A Warner spokesman said in a statement: "We are working actively to find a resolution with YouTube that would enable the return of our artists' content to the site. Until then, we simply cannot accept terms that fail to appropriately and fairly compensate recording artists, songwriters, labels and publishers for the value they provide."

A posting on YouTube's company blog left open the possibility that the videosharing site, not Warner, had made the decision to pull the content. "Sometimes, if we can't reach acceptable business terms, we must part ways with successful partners," the posting read in part. "For example, you may notice videos that contain music owned by Warner Music Group being blocked from the site."

The disagreement suggests that despite YouTube's enormous audience, it is still struggling to sell enough advertising to satisfy its partners. Google has made earning more revenue from YouTube one of its top priorities this year, launching a number of new ways to advertise on the site.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122980193788724073.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

hideyoursheep
12-21-2008, 06:07 AM
That would suck..

kwame k
12-21-2008, 10:26 AM
21% of the US recorded market............yeah that would suck....at least the record companies got their heads out of there asses about suing people over file sharing.

The record companies just never got it when it came to the Internet and file sharing. Seems like if they had embraced it, packaged it, and sold it at a decent price. They could of won big and been OK. They needed to embrace the technology.....like I-Tunes....they should of been the ones selling the MP3 players and had the websites that offered their music. Instead they sued and went after their customers, or former customers. Granted people were "stealing" copyrighted music but there's more to the story than that.

Record companies were lucky for many years.......when new technologies came out....portable cassette players and later CD's.....they were able to make millions off of Artists back catologes.......people converting their Albums to CD's or whatever.

The other thing I believe is........they've been putting out shit for so many years now that people just are not buying it anymore......manufacutured disposable Artists and the copy cat syndrome of putting out carbon copies of anything that was a hit. Overpriced CD's and no value for your money. This has been going on for many years and every generation has their disposable Artists but with CD prices high and charging .99 cents for a song.....sorry, I'm not buying, I'm downloading.....an example is GnR's latest.....I was interested but wasn't going to spend money on it, unless it was killer....I downloaded most of the tracks and listened......ended up deleting it off the hard-drive.....wasn't even worth the hard-drive space....IMO.

Look at people like Lil' Wayne........his new Album was one of the biggest selling Albums this year, people were waiting in line at midnight for his new album to come out. So people will buy CD's and will spend money if they feel like it's worth their time and money. Now take some disposable band/artist......millions spent on hyping them.....Album comes out and flops, one good song on the entire thing. Wonder why it didn't sell.

The Internet and file sharing will never totally replace the record companies.....box sets and other type of value packaging will keep them around forever.....singles and disposable artists aren't going to sell.

Diamondjimi
12-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Excellent post ,K!
The record company's have been shitting in their own beds for years. They should've embraced new technologies ,like you've mentioned. The record industry has been run by fucking imbiciles for decades now. People who love business ,NOT music!
The last thing they look for in an artist is originality,or songwriting ability .Or even MUSICIANSHIP for that matter. They want someone who's similar to the last band that moved "product" for them. Why ? So the company can tell "Joe Public" that this is the shit , this is what the public wants.
They've been feeding the public shit for so long they (the public) wouldn't know a truely brilliant ,original piece of music if their lives depended on it.

Hence, the dumbing down of the consumer cuntinues...

It' fucking sad innit?

kwame k
12-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Excellent post ,K!
The record company's have been shitting in their own beds for years. They should've embraced new technologies ,like you've mentioned. The record industry has been run by fucking imbiciles for decades now. People who love business ,NOT music!
The last thing they look for in an artist is originality,or songwriting ability .Or even MUSICIANSHIP for that matter. They want someone who's similar to the last band that moved "product" for them. Why ? So the company can tell "Joe Public" that this is the shit , this is what the public wants.
They've been feeding the public shit for so long they (the public) wouldn't know a truely brilliant ,original piece of music if their lives depended on it.

Hence, the dumbing down of the consumer cuntinues...

It' fucking sad innit?

Sure enough is :cato2:

FORD
12-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Kicking this over to House of Music since it's not really a VH/Roth topic.

Oh, and FUCK AOLTimeWarner and the RIAA! :upyours:

hideyoursheep
12-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Kicking this over to House of Music since it's not really a VH/Roth topic.

Oh, and FUCK AOLTimeWarner and the RIAA! :upyours:

-wasn't sure where to drop it, since the VH 'tubes are under the Warner umbrella...

And yeah, Fuck TimeWormer! Fuck the record companies for not recognizing anything GOOD!

Fuck 'em for forcing that shit they call "music" down our throats!

Fuck Kanye West for using AutoTune!

FUCK NICKELBACK!!

FUCK GASPAR GOMEZ!.......

AND FUCK THE FUCKING DIAZ BROTHERS!!!.....

FUCK EM ALL!!

WHAT DID THEY EVER DO FOR US?!

I bury those cock-a-roachess!

FORD
12-21-2008, 02:59 PM
I'd bet if you looked at Warner's books right now, you would see that the label making the most money for them is Rhino.

Or in other words, the old stuff. Reissues of older albums, or new repackaging (greatest hits, box sets, etc) of classic material.

Hell, half the CD's I bought this decade were Warner/Rhino box sets and remasters. Because it's better music than 99% of their current roster.

hideyoursheep
12-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Which is why I can't figure out WHY those old CVH reels that were filmed (I seen the cameras) in 80/81 can't be packaged somehow and released.

It's easy money.

And they're worried about you and I seeing shitty versions of it for free?

:confused:

Andy Taylor
01-12-2009, 07:07 AM
The Romeo Delight fan video is gone. And another studio version has the audio taken off. Leaving the WACF cover to look at. :rolleyes:

GAR
01-13-2009, 01:27 PM
I was just trying to view "Black Napkins 1981 with Steve Vai" a Zappa tune under the Warner days.. the fuckin' audio track's disabled!

WTF!?!?! What good is the video?

Coyote
01-13-2009, 03:38 PM
I was just trying to view "Black Napkins 1981 with Steve Vai" a Zappa tune under the Warner days.. the fuckin' audio track's disabled!

WTF!?!?! What good is the video?

Zappa's "Video From Hell" also lost the audio... :(

GAR
01-13-2009, 05:31 PM
What's the point in pissing people off like that?

Do they have some kind of fee to pay enabling the audio?

I tell you this much, in winning the game against illegal downloading which myself I'm against, it's not the way to win over subscribers!