PDA

View Full Version : Console Wars.... Xbox 360 vs. Playstation 3....

lazlor
12-31-2008, 11:22 AM
need some help here, console ignorant.

Looking to pick one of these systems, the Wii is not on the list.

What are the benefits of either system vs. the other? I know that ps3 has the bluray and xbox360 has the bluray addon, but i have a standalone, so the bluray aspect doesn't matter to me.

What are the better titles for either machine?
Which one has better titles for YOUNG kids... ie.: 5 and under?
Better graphics?
Both have remote controllers?
A bigger collection of titles?

thanks for the help all....

Redballjets88
12-31-2008, 12:44 PM
If you are looking for a child I'm sorry to say that Wii really is what you should buy.

Other than that Xbox360 is much better than PS3. Especially recently since Xboxlive made a deal with Netflix to stream movies over the system.

Graphics are about equal, controllers are both easy to use, 360 has more titles, and better titles at that.

Dr. Love
12-31-2008, 02:04 PM
XBOX 360 doesn't have a blu-ray add-on, but my understanding is that you can buy a 360 and a bluray player for the price of a ps3.

If you're looking to buy, just get the 360. The PS3 is limping along.

twonabomber
01-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Other than that Xbox360 is much better than PS3. Especially recently since Xboxlive made a deal with Netflix to stream movies over the system.

movies are available for purchase or rent on the PS3. i rented a HD movie for $4.50, took about 4 1/2 hours to download it, and i have two weeks to watch it. don't have to worry about the stop and start of streaming either.

i believe online play is free on PS3, where Xbox Live costs money.

and yeah, if it's for a kid just get the Wii.

Redballjets88
01-01-2009, 04:57 PM
movies are available for purchase or rent on the PS3. i rented a HD movie for $4.50, took about 4 1/2 hours to download it, and i have two weeks to watch it. don't have to worry about the stop and start of streaming either.

i believe online play is free on PS3, where Xbox Live costs money.

and yeah, if it's for a kid just get the Wii.

Be that as it may, Xbox live is so far superior to PS3 online it isn't funny. And with a silver membership, that is free, one can still watch movies.

The streaming video through netflix has no problems and you get as many movies/tv shows as you want for as long as you want for 9 dollars a month. It beats the hell out of waiting 4 hours to watch a week long rental that costs 4.50

Gold membership is 50 dollars a year, and really xboxlive makes every game endlessly playable.

360 is pretty much all one would ever need when it comes to entertainment. The movies watched online are also available in HD as long as you have the right television.

twonabomber
01-01-2009, 05:30 PM
i dunno...streaming still isn't fast enough for me. i watch stuff on Hulu and sometimes i get aggravated by it. not sure i'd use Netflix enough to justify a monthly membership either. i can't tell you how many movies i've gotten out of the Redbox, ripped to the hard drive, returned the next day, and didn't watch for weeks, if at all.

the online thing isn't a factor for me, but for the OP it may be. only reason i bought it up.

i guess the underlying thing was while i am no raging Sony fanboy, i am still not ready to give more of my money to Microsoft. :D

Redballjets88
01-01-2009, 06:31 PM
i dunno...streaming still isn't fast enough for me. i watch stuff on Hulu and sometimes i get aggravated by it. not sure i'd use Netflix enough to justify a monthly membership either. i can't tell you how many movies i've gotten out of the Redbox, ripped to the hard drive, returned the next day, and didn't watch for weeks, if at all.

the online thing isn't a factor for me, but for the OP it may be. only reason i bought it up.

i guess the underlying thing was while i am no raging Sony fanboy, i am still not ready to give more of my money to Microsoft. :D

Yeah I was worried about that too, I watch a lot of stuff online, and the streaming stinks sometimes. but somehow I think microsoft and netflix figured it out. It has only had 2 problems so far. They werent bad though, instead of letting the video struggle along it stops for about a minute readjusts to the connection and rolls on through, I was impressed.

I was how you are. I despised the original xbox, and was planning on buying a PS3, but Gears of War changed my mind, along with the pricetag on the PS3

Redballjets88
01-01-2009, 06:32 PM
I have a friend who owns both and all the PS3 does for him is serve as a bluray player.

fryingdutchman
01-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Be that as it may, Xbox live is so far superior to PS3 online it isn't funny. And with a silver membership, that is free, one can still watch movies.

360 is pretty much all one would ever need when it comes to entertainment. The movies watched online are also available in HD as long as you have the right television.

Dude....don't be such a fanboy.

Yes, 360 has some nice exclusive titles, but that's about it.

Movie downloads are also available on PS3 through the Playstation Store. Plus, the fact that it's a self-contained blu-ray player says it all.

Sony took the time to craft a serious piece of hardware that can be the centerpiece of any high-end home entertainment system.

The whores at Microsoft rushed their 360's out to be "first", and it shows. The hardware is lightweight and cheesy, the power supply is a clunky abomination, and 360's have been crashing all over the place. I know of three people personally who have had to send theirs back after getting the "red rings of death" on their machines.

I believe that at one point the 360 failure rate stood at around 33%!!! That's fucking horrific, my friend.

The PS3 failure rate, meanwhile, stands at under 1%.

By the time you have to shell out extra $$$ to get your precious 360 to play Blu-ray discs, and go through the hassle of having to get it refurbed because it took a shit on you 2 months after you got it, you might as well spend the extra $$$ and step up to PS3.

Microsoft wants to be cheap, and whore their machines out at a low, low price...while accusing Sony of price-gouging consumers. But you get what you pay for.

Just remember...the bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.

Redballjets88
01-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Dude....don't be such a fanboy.

Yes, 360 has some nice exclusive titles, but that's about it.

Movie downloads are also available on PS3 through the Playstation Store. Plus, the fact that it's a self-contained blu-ray player says it all.

Sony took the time to craft a serious piece of hardware that can be the centerpiece of any high-end home entertainment system.

The whores at Microsoft rushed their 360's out to be "first", and it shows. The hardware is lightweight and cheesy, the power supply is a clunky abomination, and 360's have been crashing all over the place. I know of three people personally who have had to send theirs back after getting the "red rings of death" on their machines.

I believe that at one point the 360 failure rate stood at around 33%!!! That's fucking horrific, my friend.

The PS3 failure rate, meanwhile, stands at under 1%.

By the time you have to shell out extra $$$ to get your precious 360 to play Blu-ray discs, and go through the hassle of having to get it refurbed because it took a shit on you 2 months after you got it, you might as well spend the extra $$$ and step up to PS3.

Microsoft wants to be cheap, and whore their machines out at a low, low price...while accusing Sony of price-gouging consumers. But you get what you pay for.

Just remember...the bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.

I'll have to disagree, on the basis that with PS3 the best game you can get is Metal Gear Solid 3. 360 has twice the games, and far more quality titles. Bluray doesn't mean a lot to your average customer, considering bluray is still fairly new and people still use dvd a lot more. xboxlive is leagues above playstation online and while 360s may break, as long as one takes care of the system problems shouldn't occur. I have had one head set for 2 1/2 years without problem and if the red rings happen its free to send it in.

I don't see how having bluray says it all, this is still a gaming system, and with 360 you can still watch movies in high definition.

What it comes down to is that while PS3is a better piece of hardware 360 has better options, online play, games, and pricing, thats why it sells better and is better.

being powerful doenst sell to the average person...look at the Wii

Redballjets88
01-01-2009, 08:26 PM
also who the fuck says "I want to watch a movie....4 hours from now"

twonabomber
01-01-2009, 08:48 PM

it was part i wanted to see how long it would take, and part "i'm going out for a few hours and maybe it'll be done when i get home." it was, and i watched it after i did my running around.

Dr. Love
01-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Generally on my 360 I can start watching a movie about 5 or 6 minutes after I tell it I want it if I'm downloading it through their service or about 10 or 15 seconds through netflix. Though to be honest netflix's selection is shitty unless you're interested in TV shows.

there's about 10 million more 360s sold than ps3s, and 10 million more wiis than 360s. In the end what you want is a system with a good game catalog. In my personal opinion, as systems seem to be losing exclusive licensing rights for certain game titles (most notably the new Final Fantasy is going to be released on the 360 and the PS3 now), it seems the 360 is going to have a larger catalog, a better catalog, and the PS3 is going to have fewer exclusive titles that you'd be interested in getting a system in order to play.

Additionally, the PS3 is more expensive.

Here's an article, I'd suggest reading it.

http://graphicnovelscomics.suite101.com/article.cfm/xbox_360_games_vs_playstation_3_games

Susie Q
01-02-2009, 10:55 AM
On the Xbox360 just pray your shit don't break every few months. My son had a XBOX360 and it got the red ring of death 4-5 times. FINALLY, this last one has lasted him so far 6 months without breaking. We MAY have gotten a hold of a good one.

XBOX360 has been known to ship out to stores defective XBOX360's because of the huge supply and demand, there is supposed to be a possible lawsuit against Microsoft because of the countless of times people had to return their broke shit.

Here's some links for you to read about it:

http://www.product-reviews.net/2008/10/18/xbox-360-rrod-lawsuit-microsoft-knowingly-manufactured-faulty-consoles/

BITEYOASS
01-02-2009, 11:14 AM
I'd just buy PC games that were made between the late 90's and early 00's that can adjust to my XP system. Fuck the consoles! Plus they tend to censor some games they deem too violent or nude.

Redballjets88
01-02-2009, 10:56 PM
I'd just buy PC games that were made between the late 90's and early 00's that can adjust to my XP system. Fuck the consoles! Plus they tend to censor some games they deem too violent or nude.

I guess you missed the part about this being geared toward a five year old haha.

fryingdutchman
01-02-2009, 11:08 PM
On the Xbox360 just pray your shit don't break every few months. My son had a XBOX360 and it got the red ring of death 4-5 times. FINALLY, this last one has lasted him so far 6 months without breaking. We MAY have gotten a hold of a good one.

XBOX360 has been known to ship out to stores defective XBOX360's because of the huge supply and demand, there is supposed to be a possible lawsuit against Microsoft because of the countless of times people had to return their broke shit.

Here's some links for you to read about it:

http://www.product-reviews.net/2008/10/18/xbox-360-rrod-lawsuit-microsoft-knowingly-manufactured-faulty-consoles/

Damn straight, Susie!!

I just spoke to another friend earlier tonight who got a 360 for Christmas. The prongs for the power supply connection on it were fucked up and he couldn't even plug it in.

He returned it, and the second console was busted from the moment he turned it on, and would only display an "error" message on the screen.

So far, his third one is working.

But I'll gladly shell out an extra $100 clams for a sturdy, reliable PS3 which already has an onboard Blu-Ray player and doesn't cause me the hassle of having to return the fucking console 2 or 3 times.

Playstation 3 had a slow start....that's for sure. But it's coming into it's own right now. Microsoft will see the playing field leveled in 2009, and if they're not careful, they'll be eating Sony's dust.

fryingdutchman
01-02-2009, 11:13 PM

Ummmmm....people over the age of say, 20, who haven't been weened on a culture of instant gratification and entitlement.

Redballjets88
01-03-2009, 03:04 AM
Ummmmm....people over the age of say, 20, who haven't been weened on a culture of instant gratification and entitlement.

sweet argument guy. The age bullshit? Thats all ya got now?

Target age for gaming consoles = 18-34...maybe mr. 39 should find something better to do?

BITEYOASS
01-03-2009, 10:17 AM
I guess you missed the part about this being geared toward a five year old haha.

Yep, these consoles are not geared toward the immoral majority. Now the more I think of it, I prefer to play games in which another actual person is involved (like cards, board games, fucking, sports, drinking or brawling) or an arcade at a bar.

In short, everyone should get out of the damn house as much as possible! Sell the consoles or cancel the cable TV if neccessary. :D

hideyoursheep
01-03-2009, 10:47 AM
I got an "Iron Gym" as a gift and the goddam carriage bolt snapped off at the head the first 15 minutes.

Does Sony make a BlueRay version?

Susie Q
01-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Bottom line is....shit is not made like it used to be. Everything is about "getting it out the door!" I've seen that time and time again.

I remember working for Coleco back in the day, and we had to make sure EVERY SINGLE piece would pass a strict QC test. It was about quality with them.

fryingdutchman
01-03-2009, 02:23 PM
sweet argument guy. The age bullshit? Thats all ya got now?

Ummmm....I wasn't aware we were arguing. You asked a question, and I answered it. Just because you didn't like the answer doesn't mean you have to get your tampon in a twist, Sparky.

Target age for gaming consoles = 18-34...maybe mr. 39 should find something better to do?

Believe me, son...I have plenty of better things to do. But for now, pissing you off will serve just fine.

If I get two hours a week for gaming, that's a lot. As opposed to someone like you who probably parks his lazy, no-job-and-living-at-home-off-his-parents ass in front his 360 for 4 or 5 hours each day.

You really shouldn't start arguments, blueballs. After all, you have that big, bad "rep power thing" to worry about.

Run along now...

Redballjets88
01-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Ummmm....I wasn't aware we were arguing. You asked a question, and I answered it. Just because you didn't like the answer doesn't mean you have to get your tampon in a twist, Sparky.

Believe me, son...I have plenty of better things to do. But for now, pissing you off will serve just fine.

If I get two hours a week for gaming, that's a lot. As opposed to someone like you who probably parks his lazy, no-job-and-living-at-home-off-his-parents ass in front his 360 for 4 or 5 hours each day.

You really shouldn't start arguments, blueballs. After all, you have that big, bad "rep power thing" to worry about.

Run along now...

You started the hostility, and actually I live on my own, work full time and just finished an 18 credit hour semester of college, so I had no time for games. So I guess that makes you wrong?

And when I said argument I meant it in the proper way of two opposing views being discussed. And I'm not mad at all, if anything you are the upset one big guy.

hideyoursheep
01-03-2009, 09:33 PM
5 and under? Buy some Legos...PlayDo...a tricycle.

WoW and shit can wait..

hideyoursheep
01-03-2009, 09:35 PM
Or just get the Wii.

I hear it's a system geared for kids, don't know about that young.

lazlor
01-03-2009, 10:21 PM
thanks for the replies....

and for clarification, this would be for the whole family.... there are pc/mac titles (semi-educational) for as low as 3-5 yr olds, was wondering/hoping the same for consoles, which is why that was mentioned... however, it would be played mostly by me.... so the whole nudity/violence thing is no big deal.. I know how to keep my kids away from things... :-)

so to sum up:

xbox - cheaper price, cheaper materials/workmanship, larger catalogue, blu ray by way of add on...

ps3 - more expensive, better quality, smaller catalogue, blu ray built in...

both can order films by way of streaming.....

ok. I'm stuck lol....

Dr. Love
01-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Personally, I think the PS3 will come in last place this generation. Last I heard it was still being outsold by the PS2.

Susie Q
01-03-2009, 11:23 PM
thanks for the replies....

and for clarification, this would be for the whole family.... there are pc/mac titles (semi-educational) for as low as 3-5 yr olds, was wondering/hoping the same for consoles, which is why that was mentioned... however, it would be played mostly by me.... so the whole nudity/violence thing is no big deal.. I know how to keep my kids away from things... :-)

so to sum up:

xbox - cheaper price, cheaper materials/workmanship, larger catalogue, blu ray by way of add on...

ps3 - more expensive, better quality, smaller catalogue, blu ray built in...

both can order films by way of streaming.....

ok. I'm stuck lol....

Laz, dude...get a V-tech for $60 and the games are like $20 a piece. Save yourself some money if it is for a 3-5 year old. That is what I bought my baby for christmas this year. Seriously...

I have a wii, playstation 2, xbox360...but for little ones starting out...a V-tech is the best. Even has games color coded for age groups.

twonabomber
01-03-2009, 11:53 PM

Xbox has no Blu-Ray add on yet. they had an HD-DVD one, but HD-DVD is dead.

hideyoursheep
01-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Laz, dude...get a V-tech for $60 and the games are like $20 a piece. Save yourself some money if it is for a 3-5 year old. That is what I bought my baby for christmas this year. Seriously...

I have a wii, playstation 2, xbox360...but for little ones starting out...a V-tech is the best. Even has games color coded for age groups.

Whoa! I never even knew about those, Susie...I'll STFU now.

Susie Q
01-04-2009, 12:15 AM
Whoa! I never even knew about those, Susie...I'll STFU now.

hys, you got kids? You gotta be hip to all that new technical shit n' stuff.

She loves it, it's a karaoke machine, she can draw with it, she learns her colors, shapes, etc...

It's great! She then leaves the wii alone, and has stopped using the living room as her personal canvas. ;)

hideyoursheep
01-04-2009, 12:57 AM
LLol!

pete
01-04-2009, 01:37 PM
If you are looking for a child I'm sorry to say that Wii really is what you should buy.

Graphics are about equal, controllers are both easy to use, 360 has more titles, and better titles at that.

You can stream netflix from any web browser. I've been doing it for months.

flappo
01-05-2009, 04:10 AM
i prefer the ps3 , it's all built in , it's reliable , the blu ray and it just looks so darn sexy

the 360 is a cludge , typical hope it works then charge the end users m$ junk and the wii is just so underpowered it's pathetic

go for a ps3 , my psn's flappospammo , see you on there !!

:)

Eyes of the Night
01-06-2009, 06:17 PM
360 ...

I hate the playstations controllers ...

Yeah I got the red light once ... sent it in and 3 weeks later they sent me a new one and has worked like a charm ...

Can you say Fallout3!?!? ...

hideyoursheep
01-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Eyes!

Wazzup?

fryingdutchman
01-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Here's a little something for all of you who have (or soon will) experience the "red rings of death" on those shitty first generation XBOX 360's...

http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/263/1/

See? I'm nice...