PDA

View Full Version : Treasury developing tools to measure lending

kwame k
01-13-2009, 10:42 PM
WASHINGTON – Under criticism for its oversight of the federal bailout program, the Treasury Department plans to examine more closely whether institutions that receive money use it to boost lending.

Neel Kashkari, assistant Treasury secretary in charge of the bailout program, said Tuesday that the department will compare the level of lending by banks that have received government money with lending levels by similar banks that haven't gotten assistance.

The Bush administration has been strongly criticized by lawmakers from both parties for not doing more to track the roughly $180 billion invested so far in more than 250 banks in an effort to increase consumer credit and lending to businesses.

A congressional oversight panel set up to monitor the financial assistance program said last week that "direct measurements" of what individual company recipients have done are necessary to determine whether the program is benefiting the public.

A spokesman for the panel declined to comment on Kashkari's remarks.

Kashkari said the government will use regular quarterly reports on lending that banks already submit and also will collect monthly data from the largest banks that have received government money. The department hopes to begin gathering the data by the end of this month and to publish the results several weeks later, he said.

The Associated Press last month asked 21 banks that received more than $1 billion from the program to describe what has been done with the money. None would provide any specifics.

Kashkari said Tuesday he would remain at his post for several weeks after President-elect Barack Obama is inaugurated Jan. 20, to assist with the transition.

Kashkari's remarks reflect growing pressure on the financial industry to provide more accounting for how the funds are being used. The Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. on Monday called on the banks it regulates to document how they are using the government funds to boost "prudent lending" and help at-risk borrowers avoid losing their homes to foreclosure.

Kashkari said banks might use the money to shore up their balance sheets in addition to lending, particularly if they are forced to write down the value of loans they carry on the books. Last year, major financial institutions such as Citigroup Inc., Merrill Lynch & Co. Inc. and Morgan Stanley booked billions of dollars of losses after mortgage-related securities they owned plunged in value.

While the Obama administration has said the financial rescue fund should be used to assist homeowners facing foreclosure and small businesses, Kashkari said the program "should be focused on the financial system."

"There is a huge demand" from banks for capital injections, he said. "The number of applications under review at the regulators is in the thousands ... and hundreds more have already been preapproved by Treasury."

One option under consideration would be to provide capital only to banks that have raised a similar amount from the private markets, Kashkari said. That would give the markets a role in determining which banks are worthy of receiving more money, he said.

The Treasury Department, meanwhile, said Tuesday that it has made $14.8 billion in new investments in 43 banks. That brings its total investments to $192 billion in 257 financial institutions.

The biggest transaction was $10 billion provided to Bank of America Corp. Those funds originally were slated for Merrill Lynch but went to Charlotte, N.C.-based Bank of America after its purchase of Merrill closed Jan. 1.

The department also invested $3.39 billion in credit card issuer American Express Co., which first announced the transaction last month.

Other large beneficiaries were New York Private Bank & Trust Corp., which received $267.3 million, and FirstMerit Corp. in Akron, Ohio, which received $125 million.

The Treasury Department also has opened the program to about 3,000 small community banks that weren't previously eligible to participate, Kashkari said.

President George W. Bush, acting at the behest of Obama, on Monday asked Congress to release the second $350 billion of the rescue fund, known as the Troubled Asset Relief Program, or TARP.

Larry Summers, Obama's choice for National Economic Council director, sought to reassure lawmakers in a letter Monday that the new president will impose tougher restrictions and oversight on how the money is spent.

"The president-elect has directed his Treasury Department to monitor, measure and track what is happening to lending by recipients of our financial rescue assistance," Summers wrote in his letter.

The current administration already has committed more than the initial $350 billion of the rescue fund, using it to inject capital into banks with few strings attached and to bail out ailing financial companies considered too big to fail without further damage to the economy.

A $6 billion assistance package last month for General Motors Corp.'s financing arm, GMAC LLC, pushed Treasury's total commitments to nearly $355 billion and was possible only because a large amount of the committed money hasn't yet been spent.

Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090113/ap_on_bi_ge/meltdown_kashkari)

LoungeMachine
01-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Nothing like closing the barn door after the horses have all run out.,......

:gulp:

Funny, I remember clearly that PIECE OF SHIT Henry Paulson telling Congress about the imminent collapse of the world banking markets if we didnt shovel almost a Trillion Dollars into the pipeline so they can continue to lend...

They got the money, and still dont lend..... yet no collapse.

But they made sure to pay out the bonuses to management......

FUCK THEM ALL WITH CAPT CAPLOCK'S HIV+ DICK.

kwame k
01-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Odd, no one's saying anything about the CEO's and the money they collected.......if they are going to measure a bank's new lending to how much they borrowed from the government, what will happen to all the bad debt? Also, if the oversight will only happen for the second TARP windfall, the next 350 billion, will there ever be accountability for the first 350 billion?

Blackflag
01-13-2009, 11:59 PM
Funny, I remember clearly that PIECE OF SHIT Henry Paulson telling Congress about the imminent collapse of the world banking markets if we didnt shovel almost a Trillion Dollars into the pipeline so they can continue to lend...

They got the money, and still dont lend..... yet no collapse.

Do you remember the article where they asked the Treasury where they got the number $750B...and they said it just seemed like 'a good round number?'

If people wanted to take Paulson out and hang him, I'd have no problem with that. Taking care of his friends first, I guess. Motherfucker.

I read Obama wants another $350B...and he plans to monitor where this money goes. Kudos to him - but what about the money that already went out?? We're just supposed to forget about it??

What the fuck - only in the government. This is why I resent every single tax dollar I pay. Only a stupid ass pays taxes and doesn't feel like he's just been fucked.

bueno bob
01-14-2009, 12:40 AM
My wife's friend is a bank manager. Their individual branch received a check for, I think she said 18 million or so. The kicker? They have no fucking clue what to do with it. But they're sure as fuck not lending. Market's too risky.

Cool, hunh? Free money and nothing to do with it at our expense. What a fabulous endeavor this has been.

:confused:

Blackflag
01-14-2009, 12:54 AM
My wife's friend is a bank manager. Their individual branch received a check for, I think she said 18 million or so. The kicker? They have no fucking clue what to do with it. But they're sure as fuck not lending. Market's too risky.

Cool, hunh? Free money and nothing to do with it at our expense. What a fabulous endeavor this has been.

:confused:

Of course! If somebody dumped money on me, I'd sit on it right now, too. I could see them saying to each other, "we don't want to go and loan this out...the last time we did that, we fucked ourselves!"

Completely fucking unreal. It's like the fucking twilight zone.

LoungeMachine
01-14-2009, 05:26 AM
My wife's friend is a bank manager. Their individual branch received a check for, I think she said 18 million or so. The kicker? They have no fucking clue what to do with it.

As if Booze and Strippers never entered their minds?

:boobs::gulp:

bueno bob
01-14-2009, 10:31 AM
As if Booze and Strippers never entered their minds?

:boobs::gulp:

Hey, if I were in charge, it'd be a much different story, trust me...it's Portland, man, not like we don't have enough booze and strippers to choose from... :D

LoungeMachine
01-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Mary's!!!!

bueno bob
01-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Mary's!!!!

And any of the other 500 or so in the local area!!!

We're due a trip, one of these days....lol

GAR
01-14-2009, 06:35 PM

Aren't they supposed to pay it back the way all those bad ACORN-pressured CRA-lobbied loans aren't being paid back?

Maybe they'll develop a tool to remove a Democrats' ass from it's fucking neck. That'll be the day!

GAR
01-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Hey, if I were in charge, it'd be a much different story, trust me..

You sound like a man who needs your Charitable Foundation funded.. let me see, what business do I have goin' on in Portland..

GAR
01-14-2009, 06:39 PM
shit! Wiretaps! Fuck!

I have not done anything illegal.. nothing to see here.. move along! Move along I said!

bueno bob
01-15-2009, 12:49 AM
You sound like a man who needs your Charitable Foundation funded.. let me see, what business do I have goin' on in Portland..

I'm guessing none.

Dr. Love
01-15-2009, 12:51 AM
INCREASE YOUR LENDING BY UP TO THREE INCHES

I can't wait for the spam

Big Train
01-18-2009, 12:42 PM
They might want to start with an actual list of who the fuck recieved the money. Paulson has been a cunt about not telling the owners of said money what he did with it and what they plan to do with it.

The more I think about it, the fucking SBA should have been given it all. Banks won't use it and individuals can't get it, as least let small biz at it. That way, more businesses will get funded, with the same failure rate, but the ones that survive might actually be something productive.