PDA

View Full Version : Obama Marks Roe V. Wade Anniversary with a Bush Policy Reversal

LoungeMachine
01-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Obama reverses abortion-funds policy
The Associated PressPublished: January 24, 2009

WASHINGTON: President Barack Obama continued his march to reverse contentious Bush administration policies, ending the ban on giving federal money to international groups that perform abortions or provide information about it.

Obama signed a memorandum reversing the ban Friday afternoon, a day after he ordered the closures of the Guantanamo Bay prison and secret overseas CIA prisons, a review of military trials of terror suspects and a ban on torture.

The president's focus on foreign policy comes even as he tries to deal with economic issues, Americans' biggest concern at a time that the economy is struggling. On Friday, he met with Republican and Democratic leaders at the White House to discuss legislative hurdles as he strives to get his massive economic stimulus plan enacted.

Liberal groups welcomed Obama's decision on the abortion funding ban, while abortion rights foes criticized the president. The abortion measure is a highly emotional one for many people, and Obama's action came one day after the 36th anniversary of the Supreme Court's landmark Roe v. Wade ruling that legalized abortion.

Critics have long held that the rule unfairly discriminates against the world's poor by denying U.S. aid to groups that may be involved in abortion but also work on other aspects of reproductive health care and HIV/AIDS, leading to the closure of free and low-cost rural clinics.

Supporters of the ban say that the United States still provides millions of dollars in family planning assistance around the world and that the rule prevents anti-abortion taxpayers from backing something they believe is morally wrong.

The Bush policy reversed by Obama had banned U.S. taxpayer money, usually in the form of Agency for International Development funds, from going to international family planning groups that either offer abortions or provide information, counseling or referrals about abortion. The rule also had prohibited federal funding for groups that lobby to legalize abortion or promote it as a family planning method.

Both Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, who will oversee foreign aid, had promised to do away with the rule during the presidential campaign.

"This policy has made it more difficult for women around the world to gain access to essential information and healthcare services," Clinton said in a statement. "Rather than limiting women's ability to receive reproductive health services, we should be supporting programs that help women and their partners make decisions to ensure their health and the health of their families."

Known as the "Mexico City policy," the inflammatory ban has been reinstated and then reversed by Republican and Democratic presidents since Ronald Reagan established it in 1984.

In a move related to the lifting of the abortion rule, Obama also is expected to restore funding to the U.N. Population Fund (UNFPA), probably in the next budget. Both he and Clinton had pledged to reverse a Bush administration determination that assistance to the organization violated U.S. law.

The Bush administration had barred U.S. money from the fund, contending that its work in China supported a Chinese family planning policy of coercive abortion and involuntary sterilization. UNFPA has vehemently denied that it does.

Congress had appropriated $40 million to the UNFPA in the past budget year but the Bush administration had withheld the money as it had done every year since 2002.

Obama also is expected at some point to lift or ease restrictions on federal money for stem cell research, an issue that divides people along similar battle lines, but there was no word about any action on that Friday. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has expressed interest in pressing legislation on stem cells in the first 100 days of the new Congress if the new administration doesn't act.

Some scientists want broader use of embryonic stem cells than is allowed, hoping for new treatments for many diseases. Obtaining stem cells from four- or five-day-old embryos kills the embryos, and many opponents see that as taking life.

On his third full day in office, Obama reached out to key U.S. allies, phoning British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Saudi King Abdullah, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said. He also spoke with United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.

Obama also turned his attention to the biggest worry of Americans — a recession expected to be the deepest since the Great Depression of the 1930s.

Speaking briefly before the meeting of legislative leaders at the White House, Obama urged bipartisan support for his stimulus package.

"I recognize that there are still some differences around the table and between the administration and members of Congress about particular details on the plan," he said. "But I think what unifies this group is a recognition that we are experiencing an unprecedented, perhaps, economic crisis that has to be dealt with, and dealt with rapidly."

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/01/24/america/NA-US-Obama.php

Nickdfresh
01-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Obama reverses abortion-funds policy
The Associated PressPublished: January 24, 2009

...Supporters of the ban say that the United States still provides millions of dollars in family planning assistance around the world and that the rule prevents anti-abortion taxpayers from backing something they believe is morally wrong.

LMFAO!! Really? Well, gee, I find the Iraq War "morally wrong." Why the fuck should I have to pay taxes then?

TongueNGroove
01-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Cry like a bitch about 500 terrorists being locked up, but jump for joy when 1,000's of babies are murdered yearly.

Good times.

LoungeMachine
01-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Cry like a bitch about 500 terrorists being locked up, but jump for joy when 1,000's of babies are murdered yearly.

Good times.

Really?

That thin on rhetoric these days?

Want to go back and try that one again?

That's even weak by dittohead standards.

:rolleyes:

sadaist
01-23-2009, 11:19 PM
Nothing new or unexpected here...Reagan banned it, Clinton reversed it, Bush banned it, now Obama reversed it.

FORD
01-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Just remember, Repukes...... Prescott Bush was a founder of Planned Parenthood. :)

chefcraig
01-23-2009, 11:34 PM

Good times.

Yes. You see, those of us that have actually been with a woman from time to time occasionally have to make certain decisions. These decisions are not held by biases preordained by certain religious truths as seen on television or read in a book, yet by reasoned practicality. Then again, if the woman in question was to go through with the pregnancy, then dump the kid off at your house shortly after the birth, it's fairly certain that you'll be more than willing to foster the kid, right?

Huh...You don't want that responsibility? Then why open a fat mouth and offer this pious attitude? It is pretty neat being of the mind to tell other people how to think without the inherent responsibility to follow it through.

Redballjets88
01-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Just remember, Repukes...... Prescott Bush was a founder of Planned Parenthood. :)

Or Margaret Sanger and Faye Wattleton did? Where do you get your information?

Bush was involved in 1947, years after the foundation.

Redballjets88
01-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Yes. You see, those of us that have actually been with a woman from time to time occasionally have to make certain decisions. These decisions are not held by biases preordained by certain religious truths as seen on television or read in a book, yet by reasoned practicality. Then again, if the woman in question was to go through with the pregnancy, then dump the kid off at your house shortly after the birth, it's fairly certain that you'll be more than willing to foster the kid, right?

Huh...You don't want that responsibility? Then why open a fat mouth and offer this pious attitude? It is pretty neat being of the mind to tell other people how to think without the inherent responsibility to follow it through.

I'm not opposed to abortion, but your argument is retarded. So you contend that due to your lack of all responsibility abortion is totally justified?

Birth control, condoms, morning after pill, and adoption are all great alternatives to just being a jackass and depending on an abortion to solve your problems.

TongueNGroove
01-24-2009, 12:15 AM

Speaking of "responsibility", how about you take responsibility for taking your dick out of your pants? How about she takes responsibility for spreading her legs?

What, so If I don't adopt YOUR baby, that makes me a hypocrite? Spoken like a true liberal.

BTW, I am married and have two kids, so I know all about the "responsibility".

chefcraig
01-24-2009, 12:17 AM
I'm not opposed to abortion, but your argument is retarded. So you contend that due to your lack of all responsibility abortion is totally justified?

Birth control, condoms, morning after pill, and adoption are all great alternatives to just being a jackass and depending on an abortion to solve your problems.

Since I never implied a notion of non-responsibility, it is not my post that is retarded, merely yourself and your own interpretation of it. Where did I state that abortion works as birth control? And please, explain how you can justify the statement "due to your lack of all responsibility" ? Where did that come from? Exactly who are you to question a personal choice in the first place?

TongueNGroove
01-24-2009, 12:20 AM

Planning your parenthood (Like a responsible adult) and murdering your baby are two different things.

chefcraig
01-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Speaking of "responsibility", how about you take responsibility for taking your dick out of your pants? How about she takes responsibility for spreading her legs?

What, so If I don't adopt YOUR baby, that makes me a hypocrite? Spoken like a true liberal.

Nah, it merely points to the fact that you choose to offer expedient opinions from time to time, and occasionally apply what passes for semi-rational thought to what you decide to offer. Yet in truth, more often than not, you are a complete bullshit artist.

Look, that's OK. And good luck to you with this nonsense. Personally, I'm done with you and your baloney.

Have a nice life.

FORD
01-24-2009, 12:36 AM
Planning your parenthood (Like a responsible adult) and murdering your baby are two different things.

Then you must be the only Repuke on the planet who doesn't equate the name "Planned Parenthood" with GODDAMN GENOCIDAL BABY KILLIN' ABORTIONISTS!!11!!!1

Funny thing, is, in Prescott's case, that's not far from the truth. His motivation for getting involved in Planned Parenthood was his interest in the Eugenics movement. That was also his motivation for funding a certain short little Austrian man with an ugly haircut.

Andy Taylor
01-24-2009, 12:38 AM
Planning your parenthood (Like a responsible adult).

This shit is HILARIOUS! You are a total shit for brains repub-comedian.

Redballjets88
01-24-2009, 12:40 AM
Then you must be the only Repuke on the planet who doesn't equate the name "Planned Parenthood" with GODDAMN GENOCIDAL BABY KILLIN' ABORTIONISTS!!11!!!1

Funny thing, is, in Prescott's case, that's not far from the truth. His motivation for getting involved in Planned Parenthood was his interest in the Eugenics movement. That was also his motivation for funding a certain short little Austrian man with an ugly haircut.

Once again you stretch the truth the the fullest extent possible. Eugenics had nothing to do with the sale of steel to Nazi Germnay prior to WW2.

And not to support everything about eugenics, but maybe if less dumbasses had kids and would use the vast amount of birth control available we would have less dumbasses to deal with.

TongueNGroove
01-24-2009, 12:46 AM

I am well aware that Liberals try to hide what they are for by disguising it with words like "Planned Parenthood" and "Pro Choice" when what they really mean, and what it should be called is Planned Murder and Pro Baby Killing.

But they can't say that because it might make them look bad.

Redballjets88
01-24-2009, 12:49 AM
I am well aware that Liberals try to hide what they are for by disguising it with words like "Planned Parenthood" and "Pro Choice" when what they really mean, and what it should be called is Planned Murder and Pro Baby Killing.

Planned parenthood does a shit load more than abortion stuff, all apotions are available.

FORD
01-24-2009, 01:53 AM
Once again you stretch the truth the the fullest extent possible. Eugenics had nothing to do with the sale of steel to Nazi Germnay prior to WW2.

How about selling steel FROM Nazi Germany, made with concentration camp slave labor? Which Grandpa Bush did well into the war.

And not to support everything about eugenics, but maybe if less dumbasses had kids and would use the vast amount of birth control available we would have less dumbasses to deal with.

True enough. Just look at what might have been prevented if Prescott had applied Eugenics to his own worthless family.

FORD
01-24-2009, 01:56 AM

So you only approve of killing babies in other countries then?

TongueNGroove
01-24-2009, 02:05 AM
So you only approve of killing babies in other countries then?

I approve of defending myself and my country, yes. Until they invent a weapon that kills no innocent bystanders there is nothing we can do about that. We don't target babies.....so stop with the retarded statements. Just like a typical Liberal.

I don't believe in starting wars, but I do believe in finishing them.

jhale667
01-24-2009, 04:15 AM

You're trying to imply that people are suggesting abortion over birth control, and that's (as you well know) simply not the case. Nice attempt at distortion...:rolleyes:

hideyoursheep
01-24-2009, 04:50 AM

You sir, are a liar.

1) You didn't plan on your "parenthood". Nothing prepares you for it, and if you wait until you think you're ready to have children, then you would never have any. Tell me I'm wrong, and I'll say you're lying again.

2) Define "murdering babies". Your type seems to have cornered the market in stupidity when it comes to defining what is and isn't a "baby". I just want to watch you try and squirm your way out of this one.

The podium is yours....

matt19
01-24-2009, 06:32 AM
I approve of defending myself and my country, yes. Until they invent a weapon that kills no innocent bystanders there is nothing we can do about that. We don't target babies.....so stop with the retarded statements. Just like a typical Liberal.

I don't believe in starting wars, but I do believe in finishing them.

Why do all republicans constantly end every sentence with spoken like a true liberal? Must be the Sean Hannity brainwashing on fox news.....:ky:

TongueNGroove
01-24-2009, 02:54 PM
You sir, are a liar.

1) You didn't plan on your "parenthood". Nothing prepares you for it, and if you wait until you think you're ready to have children, then you would never have any. Tell me I'm wrong, and I'll say you're lying again.

2) Define "murdering babies". Your type seems to have cornered the market in stupidity when it comes to defining what is and isn't a "baby". I just want to watch you try and squirm your way out of this one.

The podium is yours....

Any time you have sex without protection you are planning your parenthood, at the very least you should expect it and be prepared for it.

When do we consider a zygote to be a human? That is a good question and is obviously up for debate. Is it when it becomes a blastocyst?

Is it when it makes it's way to the uterus and becomes an embryo? Is it when it has a beating heart? Is it when it's neurological system is form and it can "feel"? Is it when the eyes are formed? I say it is all of the above. And all this happens within a couple weeks, not at 3 months.

Once it is implanted in the uterus and becomes an embryo it is a Human baby IMO.

I have nothing against birth control (Condoms or pills or injections or implants), I really don't have anything against the morning after pill either (as long as it is taken the morning after).

But that is just my opinion and I think it is the responsible opinion to have.

Nickdfresh
01-24-2009, 03:04 PM

Great! Then you can take responsibility for the unwanted children who become wards of the state and are a drain on the social services budgets...

Nickdfresh
01-24-2009, 03:06 PM

Well, then your for pro-baby killing too, with your love for wars and indifference to the suffering and poverty of those children that are already here living in squalor...

You're a sadistic cunt that enjoys it when children suffer and enjoys bitching about paying welfare so they can eat...

TongueNGroove
01-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Great! Then you can take responsibility for the unwanted children who become wards of the state and are a drain on the social services budgets...

How about the people who are putting these children in these places take responsibility? How about not getting pregnant in the first place? Abstinence, condoms, birth control, they all work. Why does it have to be MY responsibility? Again, another Liberal passing the buck. They need to take responsibility for their own life and the life of the kid they created.

FORD
01-24-2009, 03:44 PM
How about the people who are putting these children in these places take responsibility? How about not getting pregnant in the first place? Abstinence, condoms, birth control, they all work.

Well at least you acknowledge the existence of condoms and birth control. Might want to pass that on to some of your fellow right wingers. Especially the religious reich, who want to pretend they don't exist, or that its somehow a "sin" to prevent pregnancy.

LoungeMachine
01-24-2009, 04:01 PM
The Palin Horde may want to take note.......

TongueNGroove
01-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Well at least you acknowledge the existence of condoms and birth control. Might want to pass that on to some of your fellow right wingers. Especially the religious reich, who want to pretend they don't exist, or that its somehow a "sin" to prevent pregnancy.

Truth is though, people brought up under this indoctrination take care of the kids they create (Yah there is an exception to every rule) because they were raised with moral values.

It doesn't matter anyway, contraceptives are available on every street corner and in every doctors office, sometimes for free. So there really is no excuse.

Nickdfresh
01-24-2009, 04:06 PM
How about the people who are putting these children in these places take responsibility?

Wrong question, Potsy. The real question is: "What if they don't take responsibility?"

Fuck 'em! Right?

How about not getting pregnant in the first place? Abstinence, condoms, birth control, they all work.

Yes, they do. But yet when they don't work, and we have a shit load of kids around, what do we do?

Why does it have to be MY responsibility?

Because they're your fellow citizens who are innocent victims. The children you so 'love' and want to save!
You certainly want the responsibility to tell women what they have to do with their bodies.

Again, another Liberal passing the buck. They need to take responsibility for their own life and the life of the kid they created.

I'm not passing anything and I doubt I've gotten anyone pregnant. They certainly kept it to themselves if they did. I'm asking a question to a morally vain buffoon with all the easy answers on life...

Like, what if a young girl is raped and becomes pregnant? What if the mother's life is threatened by the pregnancy?

TongueNGroove
01-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Wrong question, Potsy. The real question is: "What if they don't take responsibility?"

Fuck 'em! Right?

Yes, they do. But yet when they don't work, and we have a shit load of kids around, what do we do?

Because they're your fellow citizens who are innocent victims. The children you so 'love' and want to save!
You certainly want the responsibility to tell women what they have to do with their bodies.

I'm not passing anything and I doubt I've gotten anyone pregnant. They certainly kept it to themselves if they did. I'm asking a question to a morally vain buffoon with all the easy answers on life...

Like, what if a young girl is raped and becomes pregnant? What if the mother's life is threatened by the pregnancy?

If someone is raped they should obviously report it immediately and get it taken care of. There are several medical methods to keep from getting pregnant.

If someone has a pre-existing medical issue and gets pregnant any way then they know the risk going in.

If for some reason something weird happens and there was an unforeseen issue with the pregnancy that is not only threatening the mothers life, but means she will definitely die and the child could not live outside the womb, then that is an easy decision to make. In other words, if the mother dies then the baby also dies, so it only makes sense to save the mother.

If, however, the baby is viable outside the womb then who is to say the mothers life is more valuable than the babies? They are both humans. In issues like that there is no clear answer.

In either case a cesarean section could be done and at least TRY to let the child live.

What you seem to forget though is, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. You don't have to allow casual (I don’t want this baby) abortions.

There can be strict medical rules put in place to allow for abortions under extreme circumstances as described above. BUT you don't also have to allow (I Fucked up and got drunk and now I'm pregnant) abortions.

Thruth is though, abortion is tricky, not only for the when, but also for the why, if you know what I mean. Like I said above though, casual abortion should be a definte no no.

Redballjets88
01-24-2009, 05:25 PM

Fuck 'em! Right?

If a rape victim goes to the hospital after a rape they are automatically given emergency contraceptive.

In my Utopia abortion is never used, not because of morality issues, but because everyone does their best to be safe. With today's technology there really isn't an excuse to have an accidental pregnancy.

In my world guys wear condoms, girls are on the pill/shot/patch, and in case of a broken condom they immediately go get the morning after pill.

But then again the people who are out having the teenage pregnancies, and relying on abortion for birth control are dumbasses and what kids they have will further the dumbass lineage. Its a never ending circle.

hideyoursheep
01-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Once it is implanted in the uterus and becomes an embryo it is a Human baby IMO.
But that is just my opinion and I think it is the responsible opinion to have.

Okay...

If your wife miscarries, do you give the embryo the same respect as a deceased child and give it a proper burial?

If not, why?

TongueNGroove
01-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Okay...

If your wife miscarries, do you give the embryo the same respect as a deceased child and give it a proper burial?

If not, why?

Of course, why not? I give my pets a proper burial, why wouldn't I give my child a burial?

I guess the question here is, define "proper burial". You can't exactly make a headstone that says birth date 0 death date 0 with no name....

LoungeMachine
01-24-2009, 06:07 PM
bullshit

Nickdfresh
01-24-2009, 06:08 PM
If someone is raped they should obviously report it immediately and get it taken care of. There are several medical methods to keep from getting pregnant.

Or, according to many on the religious right, the girl should have the kid no matter what.

Just ask Sarah Palin...

If someone has a pre-existing medical issue and gets pregnant any way then they know the risk going in.

If for some reason something weird happens and there was an unforeseen issue with the pregnancy that is not only threatening the mothers life, but means she will definitely die and the child could not live outside the womb, then that is an easy decision to make. In other words, if the mother dies then the baby also dies, so it only makes sense to save the mother.

But even people in committed relationships and marriages have surprises...

If, however, the baby is viable outside the womb then who is to say the mothers life is more valuable than the babies? They are both humans. In issues like that there is no clear answer.

Um, very few abortions take place where the fetus is "viable outside the womb." It happens, but generally late term abortions are only performed to save the life of a mother.

But if the mother were to die, and the baby survives, who takes care of it?

In either case a cesarean section could be done and at least TRY to let the child live.

I'm not sure that can always be done for the same reason the childbirth would kill the mother...

What you seem to forget though is, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. You don't have to allow casual (I don’t want this baby) abortions.

There can be strict medical rules put in place to allow for abortions under extreme circumstances as described above. BUT you don't also have to allow (I Fucked up and got drunk and now I'm pregnant) abortions.

Okay, but do you really want some skank having lots of kids?

Thruth is though, abortion is tricky, not only for the when, but also for the why, if you know what I mean. Like I said above though, casual abortion should be a definte no no.

Oh, okay, so it's not some black and white issue easily distilled down to babykillers vs. the good people?

Nickdfresh
01-24-2009, 06:12 PM
If a rape victim goes to the hospital after a rape they are automatically given emergency contraceptive.

But a lot of people consider that abortion...Palin apparently did as mayor of her small town...

In my Utopia abortion is never used, not because of morality issues, but because everyone does their best to be safe. With today's technology there really isn't an excuse to have an accidental pregnancy.

In my world guys wear condoms, girls are on the pill/shot/patch, and in case of a broken condom they immediately go get the morning after pill.

Your "uoptia" ignores that many of the religious clowns in the "abstinence only" movement completely deny human nature and are almost as against birth control, or at least the education regarding anything remotely considered family planning, in schools. So in essence they're creating the opportunities for abortion, not reducing them...

But then again the people who are out having the teenage pregnancies, and relying on abortion for birth control are dumbasses and what kids they have will further the dumbass lineage. Its a never ending circle.

Of course. But in many cases, they're dumbasses kept ignorant in abstinence only programs...

hideyoursheep
01-24-2009, 06:13 PM
bullshit

exactly..

Redballjets88
01-24-2009, 06:16 PM
But a lot of people consider that abortion...Palin apparently did as mayor of her small town...

Your "uoptia" ignores that many of the religious clowns in the "abstinence only" movement completely deny human nature and are almost as against birth control, or at least the education regarding anything remotely considered family planning, in schools. So in essence they're creating the opportunities for abortion, not reducing them...

Of course. But in many cases, they're dumbasses kept ignorant in abstinence only programs...

Hence Utopia

Nickdfresh
01-24-2009, 06:21 PM
Hence Utopia

Good luck with that!

Read Plato's "Republic" in that there college yet?

binnie
01-24-2009, 06:23 PM
This issue will always raise passionate responses.

I wonder, how many abortions actually occur in the US each year? A lot of the polemic around this issue make it seem like young women everywhere are murdering babies on a monthly basis? Perhaps some cold facts could calm the debate a little.

chefcraig
01-24-2009, 06:28 PM
...I wonder, how many abortions actually occur in the US each year?

By reading some of the nonsense posted around here, I'd say that in the past, sadly not quite enough. http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-mad-smileys-264.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Mad-Smileys/)

Redballjets88
01-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Good luck with that!

Read Plato's "Republic" in that there college yet?

Nope, most of the reading I do is on my own. Haven't read Republic yet, but read Common Sense and The Rights of Man by Thomas Paine recently. Both very good.

Seshmeister
02-26-2009, 06:28 AM
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee43/Seshmeister/bkstab.jpg