PDA

View Full Version : This Is Just BAD!!!

hideyoursheep
01-27-2009, 04:43 AM
WWII Veteran Freezes To Death In Own Home

Bay City Electric & Light Restricted Power To Man's Home After Not Paying Bills

POSTED: 2:20 pm EST January 26, 2009
UPDATED: 6:33 pm EST January 26, 2009

BAY CITY, Mich. -- Officials in central Michigan say a 93-year-old man who owned more than $1,000 in unpaid electric bills froze to death inside his home -- where the municipal power company had restricted his use of electricity.

Neighbors and friends of Marvin Schur want answers as to how this could happen.

“Now that we do know it was hypothermia, there’s a whole bunch of feelings that I’ve got going through me,” said Jim Herndon, a neighbor of Schur’s. “There’s anger, for the city and the electrical company.”

Bay City officials said changes are on the way in an attempt to not let another instance like this happen again.

An autopsy determined Schur, 93, died from hypothermia in the home he lived in for years.

Bay City Electric Light and Power sent Schur a shutoff notice through the mail a few weeks ago.

Then crews placed a shutoff notice on his front door. A few days later, Schur was found by neighbors.

Bay City Electric Light and Power, which is owned by the city, said a limiter was placed on Schur’s electrical line.

The device limits the power that reaches a home, and it blows out like a fuse if power consumption rises past a set level.

The manager of Bay City said the limiter was tripped sometime between the time of installation and the discovery of the man's body.

The city manager said city workers keep the limiter on a house for 10 days, then shut off power entirely if the homeowner hasn't paid utility bills or arranged to do so.

A medical examiner who conducted the autopsy on Schur told TV5 and WNEM.com that Schur died a painful death due to the hypothermia.

Dr. Kanu Varani has done hundreds of autopsies, and he said he’d never seen a person die of hypothermia indoors.

A neighbor who lives across the street from Schur is angered that the city didn’t personally notify the elderly man about his utility situation.

Schur’s neighbor, Herndon, said Schur had a utility bill on his kitchen table with a large amount of money clipped to it, with the intention of paying that bill.

Right now the city said the situation is still under investigation. Marvin Schur was a World War II veteran.

A memorial service for him will take place Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. at the Gephart Funeral Home in Bay City.

VIDEO AVAILABLE @ LINK

http://www.wnem.com/news/18566890/detail.html

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Well, according to the "capitalists" in the Front Line like BT and ToungNAss, this guy was on his own, and none of our money should have gone to help him keep his heat on.

Everyone is responsible for themselves.

:(

Guitar Shark
01-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Tragic, but I don't believe the city or the utility are at fault. So, include me with the "capitalists" I guess.

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 12:21 PM
We can bailout banks and wall street with untraceable billions...

But can't help a senior vet out with his light bill?

Fuck capitialism if that's what it means.

Guitar Shark
01-27-2009, 12:25 PM
We can bailout banks and wall street with untraceable billions...

I disagreed with that too... :D

GAR
01-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Well, according to the "capitalists" in the Front Line like BT and ToungNAss, this guy was on his own, and none of our money should have gone to help him keep his heat on.

How many hours a month have you given for charity work?

What's your favorite charity? I don't see you breaking out a checkbook anytime soon for people you haven't the foggiest acquaintence of in need of financial aid.

"Charity begins at home" do you ever wonder if the old adage is true or why?

GAR
01-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Fuck capitialism if that's what it means.

Fuck Communists with a Punjii stick thru the brain for wanting to thieve what doesn't belong to them.

chefcraig
01-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Fuck Communists with a Punjii stick thru the brain for wanting to thieve what doesn't belong to them.

Right. Like downloading software at the library. http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-happy-smileys-312.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Happy-Smileys/)

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1313778&postcount=1

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 01:14 PM
How many hours a month have you given for charity work?

What's your favorite charity? I don't see you breaking out a checkbook anytime soon for people you haven't the foggiest acquaintence of in need of financial aid.

"Charity begins at home" do you ever wonder if the old adage is true or why?

How can you possibly see my checkbook, or my schedule form your seat AT THE PUBLIC LIBRARY??

I mean, seriously, fuckwit. STFU about things you know nothing of whatsoever.

One of the many things I do, is contribute to the utility fund for those who have problems paying their bills, as if it's any of YOUR business.

Fucking hack.

:gulp:

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Right. Like downloading software at the library. http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-happy-smileys-312.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Happy-Smileys/)

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1313778&postcount=1

Good thing our taxes go to Public Libraries...

or how would trolls like GAY and CAPT CAPLOCK post on the internets?

FORD
01-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Nobody should ever freeze to death in their own home in this country. That's just inexcusable. :mad:

Nickdfresh
01-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Especially a 93 year old vet. Why the fuck is any state gov't allowing the utility to shut off power to anyone in January, let alone an elderly man?

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Somebody needs to post the Jesus quote about "what you do for the least among us, you do to me" or somesuch.

Who Would Jesus Shut Off Power To ?

diamondsgirl
01-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Schur’s neighbor, Herndon, said Schur had a utility bill on his kitchen table with a large amount of money clipped to it, with the intention of paying that bill.

it does not appear that money was the issue.

The guy was 93!! Due to senility, disability, or inability, the bill did not get paid.

There should be some kind of program where our elders are being checked on, no? Especially before the electricity gets shut off in the middle of the winter.

Guitar Shark
01-27-2009, 03:06 PM
How is the electric company supposed to know how old its customers are? Or whether they are vets for that matter?

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 03:13 PM
They're not.

BUT, there should be some sort of mechanism in place that power doesnt get shut off in the dead of winter without ............ okay, I can't find the answer dammit.

I dont Sharkey, but it's 2009, theres' got to be SOMETHING that could have been done.

Isaac R.
01-27-2009, 03:15 PM
That sucks.

Makes me wonder what kinda neighbors the guy had tho..
I know that my family had/ has no problem whatsoever helping ppl who have fallen on hard times.
Extra food, blankets, a hot shower, whatever..

Hell, my dad would let neighbors run extension cords for a week or two 'till they "got back on their feet" :)

diamondsgirl
01-27-2009, 03:26 PM
How is the electric company supposed to know how old its customers are? Or whether they are vets for that matter?

I agree it's not the electric company's responsibility, but maybe it should be. The electric company in each city should have a department (new department=new jobs!!) that checks into each case before they shut the power off. If they went to the home, they would see a 93 year old man with a wad of money who just "forgot" to pay his bill.

Or, if the electric company can't do this, there should be someone from the city checking on these people before it's "lights out."

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Dead of winter in Michigan fer God's sake.

Or what if there's a small child hooked up to a medical device?

I'm with, deej...

There should be some sort of checking before they just cut off the power.

diamondsgirl
01-27-2009, 03:29 PM

Hell, my dad would let neighbors run extension cords for a week or two 'till they "got back on their feet" :)

That's cool of him. I know my neighbors and I always help eachother out too, in any way we can.

diamondsgirl
01-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Check this out...

Bay City raises electric rates as Marvin Schur's death spurs anger
by Ryan J. Stanton | The Bay City Times
Tuesday January 27, 2009, 8:17 AM

Rebecca Craig | Times Photo

UPDATE: Marvin Schur's death was preventable, Lansing officials say

Marvin E. Schur died Jan. 17 in his Chilson Street home where a "limiter" had been placed on his home by Bay City Electric Light & Power. Officials believe the limiter tripped off the flow of power and Schur didn't reset the device. The temperature inside Schur's home dropped below 32 degrees, according to neighbors who found his body.

The story, which appeared in Monday's edition of The Times and on www.mlive.com, generated comments from around the country after being picked up by CNN, MSNBC, The New York Times and International Herald Tribune in France.

John Tennant, a member of Bay City's South End Citizens District Council, called for swift action from city leaders on Monday.

"We need to take every step possible to make sure this does not happen anymore," he said. "This is a very, very sad thing."

Kathy O'Brien, 46, said she was horrified to hear about the death of Schur.

"It could have been anybody's dad," said O'Brien, who came to Monday's meeting with her 16-year-old son Jeremiah.

About 250 readers posted comments on the story of Schur's death on The Times' Web site on Monday, calling it sick, sad, horrible, shameful, disturbing, cold and inhumane. Most blamed the city, some going as far to say the city should be sued, another to say the city manager should resign.

The story was picked up by hundreds of media outlets globally.

Schur owed almost $1,100 in electricity bills to the city, prompting the city utility to place a "limiter" device outside his home on Jan. 13. The city keeps the limiter on a residence for 10 days, at which point the city shuts off all electricity if the homeowner hasn't paid his utility bill.

City officials said Monday they don't believe a city worker ever made one-on-one contact with Schur to explain the limiter's operation.

Phil Newton, electric department director, said there are about 60 to 70 limiters in use across the city, about three times as many as a year ago. He blames the bad economy, which has left residents struggling to pay their bills. He said the city issues about 50 shut-off notices each week.

"It's been terrible. We've seen it for over a year now," he said. "We actually have almost two full-time people just dedicated to going around and turning people on and off and putting on limiters. It's just really bad."

Newton said limiters have been used by the city for 18 years and this is the first time there's been a major problem. He encourages anyone with concerns about their electricity to call the city at 894-8350.

"I'm certain if there had been some communication we could solved this without the tragedy that occurred," he said of Schur. "This should have been worked out."

Mayor Charles M. Brunner expressed regret over Schur's death on Monday, saying the city will continue to evaluate what happened to make sure it doesn't happen again.

"It's just unfortunate that this gentleman didn't reach out," Brunner said. "We would have been there. We would have pointed him in the right direction or put him on some sort of payment plan."

For Bay City Electric Light & Power customers, the payments will increase after Monday's rate increase, which will cost the average homeowner an extra $21.60 per year. The higher rate, which goes into effect in March or April, was approved by a 5-3 vote, with Lori L. Bollman, 4th Ward, MaryJane Gorney, 5th Ward, Marie T. Kurzer, 7th Ward, voting against it. John F. Davidson, 6th Ward, was absent.

The 3 percent increase is the latest in a series of scheduled rate increases for city utilities and the second in the past year for electric customers, who saw a 9 percent increase last summer. City officials say the increase is needed to keep up with the rising costs of purchasing power.

"We've gotten very creative in the ways we purchase power, but it's a very complicated market and it's an expensive market," Brunner said. "We have to pass the costs on."

Guitar Shark
01-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Or what if there's a small child hooked up to a medical device?

I'm with, deej...

There should be some sort of checking before they just cut off the power.

Or a bubble boy!

Who is going to pay for this "checking" program? I can tell you the answer is going to be either the consumer (in the form of higher utility rates) or the taxpayer...

That does not even include the money that will have to be assumed by others for those customers who cannot pay their utility bills.

Is is worth it? Or is this just one of those situations where we say "it's a tragedy, but shit happens"? I don't necessarily have an answer but I think I know where I come out on it.

FORD
01-27-2009, 05:09 PM
There are programs for energy assistance and weatherization that could have helped this guy. Puget Sound Energy ain't exactly saints, but they include information on such programs with their utility bills. Other utilities probably do the same, and I would hope they did in Michigan. But the fact that the utility company didn't even bother to explain to the guy how this "limiter" thing functioned, is absolutely unconscionable. And whatever the limit was, it should have been enough to allow heat, at the very least. It's no secret that Michigan ain't exactly the tropics. :(

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 06:04 PM
There are programs for energy assistance and weatherization that could have helped this guy. Puget Sound Energy ain't exactly saints, but they include information on such programs with their utility bills. :(

I donate to PSE's fund.

diamondsgirl
01-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Or a bubble boy!

Who is going to pay for this "checking" program? I can tell you the answer is going to be either the consumer (in the form of higher utility rates) or the taxpayer...

That does not even include the money that will have to be assumed by others for those customers who cannot pay their utility bills.

Is is worth it? Or is this just one of those situations where we say "it's a tragedy, but shit happens"? I don't necessarily have an answer but I think I know where I come out on it.

I don't think a checking program would be THAT expensive. The article said that Bay City is at a record high of 50 shut offs per week. So, that means 50 homes (at the most) would need to be visited per week, in this particular city. That could easily be done by one full-time person.

If a city can not "afford" a checking program then they should just have a "policy" of not shutting any electricity off in an occupied home in the dead of winter.

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 09:40 PM
If a city can not "afford" a checking program then they should just have a "policy" of not shutting any electricity off in an occupied home in the dead of winter.

Which was MY point.

diamondsgirl
01-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Which was MY point.

it makes sense

although there will be people taking advantage, but at least no one would die

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 09:46 PM
A .25 cent surcharge from each customer, each month, to keep the elderly and infirmed from FUCKING FREEZING TO DEATH is a small price to pay....

Oh, if I were King.....

hideyoursheep
01-28-2009, 06:15 AM
A .25 cent surcharge from each customer, each month, to keep the elderly and infirmed from FUCKING FREEZING TO DEATH is a small price to pay....

Oh, if I were King.....

...Thank God you're not Ted Nugent!

:smoke:

hideyoursheep
01-28-2009, 06:28 AM
..... whatever the limit was, it should have been enough to allow heat, at the very least. It's no secret that Michigan ain't exactly the tropics. :(

Right...about the equivalent of someone from Seattle having their windsheild wipers removed for missing a car payment....so I've heard.

Dangerous.

Even if he had a fireplace, his pipes could freeze...or other problems...

Nickdfresh
02-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Lawyer: Man who froze to death left $600,000
93-year-old had power cut off by utility over about $1,000 in unpaid bills
The Associated Press
updated 10:26 a.m. ET, Thurs., Feb. 5, 2009

BAY CITY, Mich - An attorney says a 93-year-old Michigan man who froze to death after a power company restricted electricity to his home over roughly $1,000 in unpaid bills left an estimated $600,000 to a hospital.

Marvin Schur's attorney, Cathy Reder, told the Detroit Free Press the World War II veteran bequeathed his entire fortune to Bay Medical Center.

Schur's frozen body was found Jan. 17, four days after Bay City Electric Light & Power installed a device on his electric meter that cuts power after a predetermined level is reached.

State regulators on Wednesday issued emergency rules designed to protect more people against electricity or heat shutoffs in the winter.
© 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29033269/?GT1=43001)

GAR
02-05-2009, 06:28 PM

He had plenty of money, but you'd still want me to pay for his electricity - fuck you! That's my drinking money and I don't get alot of it.

Nickdfresh
02-05-2009, 06:50 PM
He had plenty of money, but you'd still want me to pay for his electricity - fuck you! That's my drinking money and I don't get alot of it.

I want the utilities not to fucking cut off his electricity in mid-winter, asshole.

And no one can tell me those fucking assholes at the utility didn't have some idea that this guy was infirmed and aged. They could have contacted some sort of social service, private or gov't, to check on this guy and see what his story is...

LoungeMachine
02-05-2009, 06:58 PM

We didnt know that part of the story yet, moron.

But those 93 year olds who DONT have enough money to keep the heat on...yes.

You're one to talk about "your money" using all that FREE electricty and internet service in the PUBLIC LIBRARY to post here on....

idiot.

LoungeMachine
02-05-2009, 07:00 PM
I want the utilities not to fucking cut off his electricity in mid-winter, asshole.

And no one can tell me those fucking assholes at the utility didn't have some idea that this guy was infirmed and aged. They could have contacted some sort of social service, private or gov't, to check on this guy and see what his story is...

Yep.

But it was more cost-effective to just shut him off.

He was just acct# 094563334977621-0 to them.

GAR
02-05-2009, 07:18 PM

Yes that's unfortunate for those without electric, but there's no crime here so it's not bad that the utility gets ripped off?

You're being okay with that is bad, but not as bad as this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7eTdZkAnIPc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7eTdZkAnIPc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>