PDA

View Full Version : Rove Subpoenaed over US Attorney Scandal

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Rove Subpoenaed on U.S. Attorneys

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: January 26, 2009

The chairman of the House Judiciary Committee subpoenaed Karl Rove, a former top White House aide, to testify about the Bush administration’s firing of United States attorneys and prosecution of a former Democratic governor. The subpoena, by Representative John Conyers Jr., Democrat of Michigan, continues a long-running legal battle and directs Mr. Rove to appear for a deposition next Monday. Mr. Rove previously refused to appear before the panel, arguing that former presidential advisers cannot be compelled to testify before Congress. Mr. Conyers said the transfer of power in the White House, with President Obama now in office, could affect the legal arguments available to Mr. Rove.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/us/27brfs-ROVESUBPOENA_BRF.html?ref=us

FORD
01-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I'm listening to Thom Hartmann and Don Siegelman talking about this right now. Let's make it happen this time, Mr. Conyers.

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I'm listening to Thom Hartmann and Don Siegelman talking about this right now. Let's make it happen this time, Mr. Conyers.

Have you not noticed many of my new threads appear to mirror Thom's current subject/guest??

:lol:

Dr. Love
01-27-2009, 02:13 PM
I figured he was a ventriloquist. Why else would you follow everything he says while he has his hand up your ass ? :(

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 02:27 PM
At least he keeps his nails nicely trimmed.....

:gulp:

Dr. Love
01-27-2009, 02:30 PM
FUCK I ALREADY SAID I WOULD TRIM THEM NEXT TIME

jesus

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 02:38 PM
It's always "next time" with you...

Guitar Shark
01-27-2009, 02:56 PM
So much for the spirit of nonpartisanship...

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 03:00 PM
So much for the spirit of nonpartisanship...

Are we supposed to "forgive and forget" all broken laws in the spirit of "nonpartisanship" ??

Non-partisanship to me means consulting the lame ass RePukes on congress, even though the spent us into this mess, and we don't need to kiss their asses to get shit done.

Although 2000-2006 they treat the congressional Dems like doormats.

Guitar Shark
01-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Believe me, Lounge, I want to make Rove as uncomfortable as you do.

But yes, I do think it's time for the Dems to take the high road on these things. Their time is much better spent on the much more serious problems of the day. I just think this sort of thing is exactly what Obama doesn't want to happen. It's a distraction.

I'm not naive enough to think that partisan politics will be a thing of the past, but I personally would like to see the Dems abandon this sort of thing right now.

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 03:09 PM
I believe Rove and friends had Don Seigleman framed and railroaded....

I also believe the US Justice Dept, under both Asscroft and Gonzalez, broke laws....

Nixon was a piker compared to what these guys have gotten away with.

I get your point, however there is no reason why we can't move forward with the affairs of state, AND make sure those who have broken federal laws are held accountable.

Let's multi-task ;)

knuckleboner
01-27-2009, 03:56 PM
i agree with the shark. the public perception will be that it's just "business as usual." the public WANTS to see the congress actively work on something positive, like the economy, war, social security, salmonella, price of hookers in reno, health care, etc. they don't want to see congress critique the past government, even if justified.

all that will do, assuming no action on the other, real issues, will have the republicans in 2010 saying, "see, you have a democratic government, and you get nothing done."

sadaist
01-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Are we supposed to "forgive and forget" all broken laws in the spirit of "nonpartisanship" ??

That's exactly what was asked of Republicans in regards to Timothy Gheithner.

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 04:03 PM
i

they don't want to see congress critique the past government, even if justified.

"

I disagree.

Except the hookers part.......

If we DONT hold them accountable, then we're perceived as "just the same as them", and not holding them to the standard they pledged an oath to.

No one is supposed to be above the law, least of all public servants, paid for by public funds, doing the public's business.

Sunshine being the best disenfectant, WTF is wrong with making sure our country was not HARMED by those who held the keys to the safe, and our personal information.

:smoke2:

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 04:04 PM

And I agreed with that.

I'm with Sanders and Feingold on that one.

So much for Obama's cabinet starting off well....

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 04:05 PM
And how is it NOT "partisanship" for the fucking Arlen Spector telling people he wants to hold up the AG nomination to make the administration squirm?

Redballjets88
01-27-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm all about him going to court. People need to be held accountable for their actions.

Plus if the tables were turned I would want the democrat to get his comeuppance too.

Guilt and innocence need to be proven in courts of law, not because it will hurt the outlook of an administration.

And the average American won't even pay attention to this stuff.

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 04:23 PM
See, you're not ALWAYS a snot-nosed douche .

Redballjets88
01-27-2009, 04:25 PM
I keeps my shit real

FORD
01-27-2009, 05:00 PM

Hey, I wasn't a fan of Geithner even before I knew he cheated on his taxes, but there's a big difference between that and the crimes of the BCE.

FORD
01-27-2009, 05:03 PM
And how is it NOT "partisanship" for the fucking Arlen Spector telling people he wants to hold up the AG nomination to make the administration squirm?

I wonder what Arlen is really afraid of?

Perhaps he thinks Holder might not be content to merely investigate recent crimes by the BCE?

Can we say "magic bullet"??

Same reason that "certain forces" had to make damn sure Caroline Kennedy didn't get that NY senate seat. You think she wouldn't have used that position to clear the record on who really killed her dad & uncle?

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Yes, Holder was going to reopen the Warren Commission Report

:lol:

Right after he picked up the scent of Lindburgh's baby....

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 05:16 PM
I dont think Arlen is afraid of shit....

But the RePukes have so little power right now, they're going to make noise WHENEVER they get a chance...

I LOVE that faggot McConnell all over my TV bleating about spending NOW

Where the FUCK were you Mitchie when you PUKES spent us into the third wold from 2000-06

pricks.

kwame k
01-27-2009, 05:18 PM
To me the issue is that the people who were entrusted to uphold and protect the Constitution ......broke the law and abused their powers......period! I don't give a fuck if it's a Dem or Repuke......President or Congressman........I personally don't think there should be a statue of limitation on crimes committed by any elected offical......they should be held accountable and if congress has to spend money and time on these issues, let them......

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 05:29 PM
To me the issue is that the people who were entrusted to uphold and protect the Constitution ......broke the law and abused their powers......period! I don't give a fuck if it's a Dem or Repuke......President or Congressman........I personally don't think there should be a statue of limitation on crimes committed by any elected offical......they should be held accountable and if congress has to spend money and time on these issues, let them......

fucking dead fucking on for christs fucking sake, know what i fucking mean? fuck.

The idiot drummer gets it, but the attorney who had to pass a bar exam in this state couldnt care less.......

:cato:

kwame k
01-27-2009, 05:32 PM
fucking dead fucking on for christs fucking sake, know what i fucking mean? fuck.

The idiot drummer gets it, but the attorney who had to pass a bar exam in this state couldnt care less.......

:cato:

I don't appreciate being called a drummer.........:heyfu:

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 05:38 PM
I don't appreciate being called a drummer.........:heyfu:

sorry, my bad.

Even the idiot percussionist with drool coming from both sides of his mouth because the drum riser is level gets it.....

kwame k
01-27-2009, 05:44 PM
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll103/realtodd/yoop.jpg

This motherfucker John Yoo is high on my hit list.......he's the asshole who told Chenney and Bush that everything they were doing was legal......he gave the green light to enhance Presidential Powers.........

Link (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/torture/interviews/yoo.html)

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Looks like Savicki

Hang him from a yard arm.

knuckleboner
01-27-2009, 06:03 PM
I disagree.

Except the hookers part.......

If we DONT hold them accountable, then we're perceived as "just the same as them", and not holding them to the standard they pledged an oath to.

No one is supposed to be above the law, least of all public servants, paid for by public funds, doing the public's business.

Sunshine being the best disenfectant, WTF is wrong with making sure our country was not HARMED by those who held the keys to the safe, and our personal information.

:smoke2:

dude, i agree with everything you said.

all i'm saying is to look at what effect it will have. if the answer is that it ties up the judiciary and the congressional committees for a while and has a few "convictions," while other issues that the general public deem more immediate aren't solved, the public is going to have a backlash against those presently in power.

seriously, if health care and social security and immigration are not solved (or more likely not really even broached) by the time 2010 hits, then the republicans will unquestionably use the fact that the democrats wasted their time in power with "wasteful" hearings that accomplished nothing except for keeping congress' stagnation intact.

in that case, the democrats clearly lose seats in 2010. and that, i'm trying to avoid...

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 06:06 PM
agreed.

But for whatever reason, history tells us the Dems will lose seats in 2010 REGARDLESS of what they do.

They could cure cancer, outlaw Hagar songs, and offer us free hookers, and still lose seats in the mid-terms.

knuckleboner
01-28-2009, 03:16 PM
true. but it's how many seats (say i), that's the issue. lose a big majority down to a smaller majority? or worse.

personally, i want to avoid 1994 take 2...