PDA

View Full Version : Ace Frehley update

Top Jimmy
01-27-2009, 06:17 PM
ACE FREHLEY: Footage From 1992 'Just For Fun Tour' Posted Online - Jan. 27, 2009

Original KISS guitarist Ace Frehley has issued the following update:

"I found [footage] of my 'Just for Fun Tour' in '92 shot at a cool venue called the Limelight in New York City. It was an old church converted into a night club. Here's [see clip below] a version of 'Torpedo Girl' off the KISS record 'Unmasked'. By the way, my band members at the time were Sandy Slavin (drums), James Lomenzo (bass) and Richie Scarlet (rhythm)."

Ace Frehley has set "Anomaly" as the title of his new solo album, tentatively due this spring.
Check out the cover artwork below.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1154/3172381930_8c21d3f4cd_o.jpg

In an early 2008 interview with Billboard, Frehley stated about his forthcoming solo CD, "Basically, I'm trying to get back into the mindset I was in when I did my first solo record [1978's 'Ace Frehley']. That record seemed to have all the elements everybody liked — a real cool instrumental, a hit single, some real heavy rockers, a nice variety of different genres of music."

Among his favorite new tracks are "A Little Below the Angels", hard-rocking "Pain in the Neck" and an instrumental called "Fractured Quantum", which is a follow-up to his previous instrumentals "Fractured Mirror" and "Fractured Too". Another favorite is "groove song" titled "Genghis Khan", which he likens in tone to LED ZEPPELIN's "Kashmir".

Frehley told MyrtleBeachOnline.com that he's shooting for 12 tracks on his next album, his first in 18 years. Studio work has spanned several months, and some of the songs go back 12 years.

Frehley recently spent time on the road fronting a band that featured second guitarist Derrek Hawkins, drummer Scot Coogan (ex-BRIDES OF DESTRUCTION) and bassist Anthony Esposito (ex-LYNCH MOB).

Terry
01-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Jesus...Ace is still writing sequels to Fractured Mirror?

Diamondjimi
01-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Jesus...Ace is still writing sequels to Fractured Mirror?

He should call it .."Fractured Liver"

Terry
01-27-2009, 08:26 PM
He should call it .."Fractured Liver"

No doubt.

Still, even a subpar Ace album with Frehley drunk off his arse would undoubtedly be better than Swishy Stanley's last solo outing.

Vinnie Velvet
01-29-2009, 12:02 PM
No doubt.

Still, even a subpar Ace album with Frehley drunk off his arse would undoubtedly be better than Swishy Stanley's last solo outing.

No kidding.

But its a fucking milestone that there is actually an album cover for a new Ace album.

An album Ace has been promising since 1993.

Yeah, yeah, the KISS reunion years 1995-2002 took up most of his time, but come on, Ace has never been very productive.

GAR
01-29-2009, 01:05 PM
He still plays guitar, right?

Mr. Vengeance
01-29-2009, 08:08 PM
I can't wait for this album. Ace is the man!!!!

I didn't hate Paul Stanley's album....it was not bad.

Mr. Vengeance
01-29-2009, 08:16 PM
No kidding.

But its a fucking milestone that there is actually an album cover for a new Ace album.

An album Ace has been promising since 1993.

Yeah, yeah, the KISS reunion years 1995-2002 took up most of his time, but come on, Ace has never been very productive.

That's been one of the knocks on Ace is that he's a bit lazy. If you want to believe Gene/Paul, they wanted Ace to do more of his songs but a lot of times he only came into the studio when he felt like playing that day. I guess it was hell getting him in to record Rocket Ride for Kiss Alive II, which is one of his best tunes.

Terry
01-29-2009, 08:41 PM
That's been one of the knocks on Ace is that he's a bit lazy. If you want to believe Gene/Paul, they wanted Ace to do more of his songs but a lot of times he only came into the studio when he felt like playing that day. I guess it was hell getting him in to record Rocket Ride for Kiss Alive II, which is one of his best tunes.

Yes, but would it be better to release good albums infrequently, or, say, put them out at the clip of one a year or so, and end up with such 'classics' as Animalize, Asylum and Crazy Nights?

Terry
01-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Granted, Ace is a lazy, drunken sod, but...well...it's Ace.

Mr. Vengeance
01-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Yes, but would it be better to release good albums infrequently, or, say, put them out at the clip of one a year or so, and end up with such 'classics' as Animalize, Asylum and Crazy Nights?

I really have no problems with Animalize or Asylum. Crazy Nights I really liked when first released, but it hasn't aged very well.

Terry
01-30-2009, 09:57 PM
I really have no problems with Animalize or Asylum. Crazy Nights I really liked when first released, but it hasn't aged very well.

For me, the nadir of the band was virtually everything that was released between Creatures of the Night and Revenge.

Think part of that attitude comes from accepting a free ticket from a friend to go see one of the Asylum shows and witnessing one of the most godawful concerts I've had the displeasure of seeing.

Hellraiser!!
01-30-2009, 10:17 PM
I love everything KISS did!!!! I think It's no surprise to anyone who knows me....but for me the golden years of that band is the Ace Frehley's years....the only nadir (I don't even know what this fucking word means, but It's probably something really bad) of this band is Tommy Thayer playing with Ace's make up...and the worst part is that motherfucker trying to sing "Shock Me"!!!

No one can replace the Spaceman, the man is a musical genius!!

Frehley's Comet rules, Trouble Walking is underrated and It's fucking amazing too....and I can't wait to check Ace's new album!!!

Mr. Vengeance
01-31-2009, 11:17 PM
I had no problem with KISS recording with others after Ace and Peter left the band, but I have a huge problem with them dressing others up in Ace's and Peter's makeup. At least in the past they let Eric Carr and Vinnie Vincent have new personae, (Fox and Aztec Warrior) and once the makeup was off it didn't matter....

There are no KISS albums I hate. The Elder was not a big fave for me, but I still listen to it. Lots of Kiss fans love Creatures, but I have to say I woudn't put it at the top of my list.

Anything with Ace rules....

Terry
01-31-2009, 11:57 PM
I didn't necessarily have a problem in theory with KISS continuing on after Frehley and Criss left, either, even if I didn't find the musical output as enjoyable as the years 1974 to 1982.

Think the saddening part of the whole KISS biz was after Frehley and Criss left the second time around; somewhere around 2002, Singer and Thayer are up there onstage in the Frehley and Criss makeup. While Gene and Paul weren't trying to fool anyone into thinking it was the original four, it was at this point that the moneymaking instincts finally totally overtook everything else KISS was about for me. Yes, KISS were always interested in making a buck, but my interest level went to zero at that point. Just had no interest in seeing half of the classic KISS lineup pretending it was 1977 - an exercise that made sense in 1996 when all four original members were there and had more than ample representation for four years of a "Farewell" tour.

Mr. Vengeance
02-01-2009, 11:12 AM
What drives me nuts is the way KISS keeps repackaging the same music. How many greatest hits albums can one band have? I've even bought a good number of them. You know, you're on the road, you feel like listening to some KISS, you don't have any cds in the car,so you stop at Walmart and grab the latest greatest hits package for $6.99....

I absolutely refused to buy IKONS. Enough is enough.

Terry
02-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Like I said, a bit sad in some respects...

Picked up the KISSologies as they came out on dvd, and I will say that unlike some other bands that spring to mind, KISS doesn't have a problem getting classic product out there for fans to buy. Suppose it's just one of those things where as long as people keep going to the shows, Paul and Gene are gonna keep on playing...I mean, the notion they floated in the press a few years back about them not even performing anymore and getting two more scabs to wear the makeup and costumes and take their place seemed so calculated, greedy and lazy (I was like "Christ, these geezers can barely be bothered to even perform for the concert dollars they earn anymore")...

...but then nobody is forcing people to attend those shows, fool and his money lucky to have gotten together in the first place, etc.

The group realized what the fans wanted in the mid-1990s, reunited, came out and played well-rehearsed shows in the makeup with all the production trimmings that made them a household name years back. Fine. Great. Give the people what they want, right?

Then they tried to put together an album, Psychocircus, that (imo) just flat-out stunk. They realized that not enough people seemed to really care that the band was seemingly no longer capable of creating new music that was worthy of their classic catalog; not enough to impact ticket sales, anyway. Then Criss left, and Gene and Paul discovered that Eric Singer in the makeup wasn't gonna keep enough people away to make touring a non-lucrative endeavor. Same with Frehley bailing and Thayer scabbing in. Gene and Paul discovered there are plenty of people who will line up and pay to see what in my opinion is a sham. So why bother having Criss and Frehley in the band, when you can pay Singer and Thayer less? Why bother making an effort to create decent new material if not enough people even care?

In a cold business sense, it is smart.

Top Jimmy
02-02-2009, 01:48 AM
From what I read..
Ace Frehley had very little to do with the writing of Psycho Circus,
and Criss had virtually nothing to do with it.
Even the ballad he sings wasn't co-written by him...
he brought a ballad in and they turned him down,
Paul wrote it.

I think the only tune he for sure plays drums on is
Ace's Tune 'Into The Void', maybe "You Wanted The Best", but I don't think so..

Vinnie Velvet
02-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Granted, Ace is a lazy, drunken sod, but...well...it's Ace.

LOL.

No doubt.

His solo tour from last year, though, is indication that Ace still has it and actually played better than the past KISS reunion tours.

He nailed the Shock Me solo perfectly, for example.

And for those fucks who think Tommy Thayer can play better than Ace, get your head out of your fucking ass. Thayer can cop Ace's leads to a T, yeah, but he doesn't have neither the feel or flare of Frehlely's playing.

Vinnie Velvet
02-02-2009, 10:26 AM
From what I read..
Ace Frehley had very little to do with the writing of Psycho Circus,
and Criss had virtually nothing to do with it.
Even the ballad he sings wasn't co-written by him...
he brought a ballad in and they turned him down,
Paul wrote it.

I think the only tune he for sure plays drums on is
Ace's Tune 'Into The Void', maybe "You Wanted The Best", but I don't think so..

Ace and Peter came in with a bunch of tunes for PC but mostly all were turned down.

Ace's "Into the Void" was the sole survivor of those tunes. And its the only tune Peter plays on.

Psycho Circus was a failed attempt at capitalizing on the massive success of the Reunion tour with a classic KISS album.

I don't think the problem was Ace and Peter. They were there, they actually TRIED to contribute. But Gene and Paul were too controlling and then they had producer Bruce Fairbairn who actually fucked up the whole recording process even more because he had power in selecting the "best songs".

What the band needed to do was get together in a room and write songs without any additional writers or producers telling them what to do and what to write.

But that hadn't been done by KISS since '77, and too much time had passed. Paul doesn't write songs with Gene anymore and vice versa. Heck, they weren't even at the studio at the same time. Paul still writes 80s-style glam metal crap and so on.

And what you had was a very disjointed effort in Pyscho Circus.

Even Dynasty was disjointed but the difference was that album had better songs.

Vinnie Velvet
02-02-2009, 10:32 AM
I didn't necessarily have a problem in theory with KISS continuing on after Frehley and Criss left, either, even if I didn't find the musical output as enjoyable as the years 1974 to 1982.

Think the saddening part of the whole KISS biz was after Frehley and Criss left the second time around; somewhere around 2002, Singer and Thayer are up there onstage in the Frehley and Criss makeup. While Gene and Paul weren't trying to fool anyone into thinking it was the original four, it was at this point that the moneymaking instincts finally totally overtook everything else KISS was about for me. Yes, KISS were always interested in making a buck, but my interest level went to zero at that point. Just had no interest in seeing half of the classic KISS lineup pretending it was 1977 - an exercise that made sense in 1996 when all four original members were there and had more than ample representation for four years of a "Farewell" tour.

Funny thing is that continuing with NEW members wearing the traditional makeup of the original band was actually something original KISS manager Bill Aucoin thought of.

There is 1978 or 1980 interview with Aucoin who says something like "KISS can go on forever, even without its original members...." and so on.

I'm not saying what G&P are doing with Singer and Thayer is okay, its not. Its a fucking sham. But the fact that Bill Aucoin's vision was to do the same thing is interesting to note.

Matt White
02-02-2009, 10:33 AM
LOL.And for those fucks who think Tommy Thayer can play better than Ace, get your head out of your fucking ass. Thayer can cop Ace's leads to a T, yeah, but he doesn't have neither the feel or flare of Frehlely's playing.

Damn skippy.....

I've heard enough of Thayer..."no feel" hits the nail on the head

Vinnie Velvet
02-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Damn skippy.....

I've heard enough of Thayer..."no feel" hits the nail on the head

The dude is a "one-trick" pony.

He can't play anything without it sounding like it came from an Ace riff/solo.

He sucks ass.

I suggest you hear him butcher stuff from Vincent and Kulick. God awful.

Its no wonder SCAB-KISS removed 'War Machine' and 'Unholy' from the set list this past year.

indeedido
02-02-2009, 02:34 PM

From what I recall reading, he did Rocket Ride from his home studio, and mailed it in. He played all the instruments.

Terry
02-02-2009, 06:51 PM
LOL.

No doubt.

His solo tour from last year, though, is indication that Ace still has it and actually played better than the past KISS reunion tours.

He nailed the Shock Me solo perfectly, for example.

And for those fucks who think Tommy Thayer can play better than Ace, get your head out of your fucking ass. Thayer can cop Ace's leads to a T, yeah, but he doesn't have neither the feel or flare of Frehlely's playing.

Oh, don't get me wrong...I meant that he was lazy, drunken sod in the best sense of the word:biggrin:

Mr. Vengeance
02-02-2009, 07:02 PM
From what I recall reading, he did Rocket Ride from his home studio, and mailed it in. He played all the instruments.

I thought that was The Elder? They wold send Ace tapes of the songs and Ace would say "what the fuck???" at what he was hearing and he only added to a few of the songs that he liked. I'm sure it could have been for Rocket Ride as well. If my KISS Box Set wasn't tucked away I'd check on it.

Terry
02-02-2009, 09:12 PM
From what I read, Ace layed down some of his tracks for the Elder at his home studio in Connecticut. No big shock if it turned out he played all the instruments on Rocket Ride, though...I seem to recall Ace saying he played drums well enough to demo stuff, and he's played bass on more than one track on those classic Kiss records.

ace diamond
02-03-2009, 07:48 PM
No doubt.

look on the bright side, it could always be worse......at least it is not gene or peter's latest solo efforts.:biggrin:

Vinnie Velvet
02-04-2009, 10:48 AM
From what I read, Ace layed down some of his tracks for the Elder at his home studio in Connecticut. No big shock if it turned out he played all the instruments on Rocket Ride, though...I seem to recall Ace saying he played drums well enough to demo stuff, and he's played bass on more than one track on those classic Kiss records.

Its all Ace on Rocket Ride with Peter on the drums.

Ace also plays all guitars and bass on his songs on Dynasty and Unmasked as well.

Jack68
02-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Ace came out @ MSG in NYC in june when i saw Pearl Jam,great version of black diamond.

Bill Lumbergh
02-04-2009, 08:08 PM
I swear to God, "In the Spring" needs to be on the fuckers headstone....

Vinnie Velvet
02-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Did you know Ace has got a new official website up??

It's a fucking time-warp because it looks like a site designed in 1995!

:biggrin:

Ace, come on dude, get with the times. Stop using Windows 95 already!

http://acefrehley.com/home/

Terry
02-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Doubtless Ace doesn't give a shit.

When you're THAT drunk, rich and naturally a bit of a space shot anyway, you do what you want when you want.

GreenBayLA
02-16-2009, 06:49 AM
Hey they don't call him Space Ace for nuthin, Curly!

What drives me nuts is the way KISS keeps repackaging the same music. How many greatest hits albums can one band have? I've even bought a good number of them. You know, you're on the road, you feel like listening to some KISS, you don't have any cds in the car,so you stop at Walmart and grab the latest greatest hits package for $6.99....

I absolutely refused to buy IKONS. Enough is enough.

Yeah you don't see Aerosmith doing that, well ,um cough cough, nevermind.