PDA

View Full Version : Tim Geithner's tax evasion

ELVIS
01-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Change we can believe in...

Obama's pick as treasury secretary, Timothy Geithner, failed to pay taxes

January 22, 2009 (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/alex_spillius/blog/2009/01/22/tim_geithners_tax_evasion_)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00465/timothygeithner_385_465469a.jpg

THE US senate finance committee has voted for a tax evader to become Treasury secretary. He is likely to be confirmed by a vote on the senate floor soon.

Be in no doubt that is what Tim Geithner is. I'm not sure what is more amazing about this case: the virtually free pass he has been given by the media, the toothless opposition of the Republicans or the magnitude of Obama's first betrayal of his ideals.

In 2006 the Internal Revenue Service discovered that Geithner had not paid he had failed to pay taxes in 2003 and 2004 because he had incorrectly believed they were deducted at source by the IMF, where he had moved after serving the treasury in the Clinton administration. He duly paid about $17,230 in back taxes and interest.

After he was selected to lead the treasury in November, it was discovered as part of his vetting that he owed a further $25,970 for 2001 and 2002 as well. That was the point Obama should have dropped Geithner, instead he has championed him as the only man fit for this major job in dire times.

It is just possible that Geithner, as he claimed, made an honest mistake. But he has yet to provide a proper explanation of why when the IRS told him he was due for 2003 and 2004 he did not then realize that he owed taxes in the two earlier years. At his confirmation hearing, none of the senators asked the question forcefully. Geithner blamed the first mistake on the $30 Turbo Tax software programme he used to file his returns himself, and the second on his accountant

The issue is that foreigners working at the IMF don't pay taxes, but American citizens do. The IMF raises their salaries in sympathy and expects them to pay the tax themselves. It is all common knowledge among the staff, she said.

Even if we take Mr Geithner at his word that these were "careless mistakes, avoidable mistakes", does the US really want someone who could make that kind of blunder in charge of the Treasury, and the IRS?

The Wall Street Journal, which first reported the transgressions, has done its job. Otherwise, there was been a scant amount criticism in the media. Rush Limbaugh has ranted, the New York Times had one indignant piece, and Jeffrey Klein in the Huffington Post accused Mr Geithner of "serial cheating".

Several commentators have pointed out that in normal circumstances his failure to pay tax would have been fatal to his appointment. The worry is that it could be normal for Obama to be given too easy a time.

:elvis:

Jesus Christ
01-29-2009, 08:56 PM
It was so much easier in the old days, when you just rode your donkey to Bethlehem and got it over with.

LoungeMachine
01-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Terrible pick.

dumbass Obama move.

:gulp:

GAR
01-29-2009, 09:13 PM
It was so much easier in the old days, when you just rode your donkey to Bethlehem and got it over with.

Then you are in agreement with predictions for assasination?

Jesus Christ
01-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Then you are in agreement with predictions for assasination?

Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

LoungeMachine
01-29-2009, 09:25 PM
You must be a hoot around the holidays, FORD

:gulp:

GAR
01-29-2009, 09:26 PM
I heard someone, maybe it was Rahm talking, said "well if he was a crook I must say it takes a crook to catch a crook, but he's paid up now and we can move forward" or something to that extent.

ELVIS
01-29-2009, 09:27 PM
You mean you missed his Christmas faux preachings ??

LoungeMachine
01-29-2009, 09:33 PM
You mean you missed his Christmas faux preachings ??

I mean around the dinner table....

Dave, pass the butter....

Ye of little faith hath not butter among thee.........

:lol:

Jesus Christ
01-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Faith is not required for butter. Only cream, a churn, and a little salt.

ELVIS
01-29-2009, 09:43 PM
What a jokester You are Faux Jesus...

Lemme ask you something, Hey Zoos...

How did Geithner get away with tax evasion and also lying about it to the Obama Administration ??

Big Train
01-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Who knows...maybe this guy will show us how to short our creditors...seems pretty good at it in his personal life.

Jesus Christ
01-29-2009, 11:00 PM
What a jokester You are Faux Jesus...

Lemme ask you something, Hey Zoos...

How did Geithner get away with tax evasion and also lying about it to the Obama Administration ??

I will answer thy question with a question, just as I did with the Scribes and Pharisees back in the day...

How did the Son of Bush get away with dragging thy nation into two illegal wars and also lying about it to the American people?

The answer, Gregory, is freewill. Same as it ever was.