PDA

View Full Version : Huh? Lawsuit Claims Hillary Clinton In Job Illegally...

chefcraig
01-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Look, I do not necessarily care for this woman or her political slant all that much either, yet sometimes I wonder about some of these so-called "watch-dog" groups and their concerns, and if they are in truth really serving the country's best interests...

Hillary Clinton in job illegally, suit claims

Associated Press
January 30, 2009

WASHINGTON - A conservative watchdog group filed a lawsuit Thursday arguing that Hillary Clinton cannot legally serve as secretary of state, even though she was sworn in last week.

The suit is based on an obscure section of the Constitution on compensation for public officials, the emoluments clause.

The clause states that no member of Congress can be appointed to a government post if that job's pay was increased during the lawmaker's current term.

Clinton was serving in Congress when the secretary of state's salary was raised to $191,300.

Congress last month lowered the salary to $186,600, which it was when she began her second Senate term.

A similar tactic has been used so that several other members of Congress from both parties could serve in the Cabinet.

Judicial Watch, which has pursued several suits against Clinton and other officials over the years, argues there can be no exceptions to the clause.

The group says that Clinton is "constitutionally ineligible" to be secretary of state until 2013, when her second Senate term would expire. She resigned from the Senate to take the Cabinet post.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/nationworld/sfl-flaclinton0130sbjan30,0,6282564.story

LoungeMachine
01-30-2009, 09:51 AM
The Right hates lawyers.....

Yet they love Lawsuits.

:gulp:

FORD
01-30-2009, 11:46 AM
This issue was raised when Hillary was first nominated. I was actually hoping something would come of it, since I believe Hillary's voting record on foreign policy (all PNAC, all the time) should have made her ineligible for the position more than merely being a Senator at the time when the Senate voted to raise cabinet salaries.

By lowering the salary again, they probably covered her ass. Too bad they can't undo her warmongering, and her statements about "obliterating" Iran. But I don't think anything is going to come of this, other than give Mush & Hannazi something else to bitch about.

GAR
01-30-2009, 05:39 PM
The Right hates lawyers.....

Yet they love Lawsuits.

:gulp:

Nah, we just hate Clinton. Because she wants socialized medicine which will disrupt the both quality and the cost of it.

GAR
01-30-2009, 05:41 PM
By lowering the salary again, they probably covered her ass.

Nope, no exceptions. The court will look at the purpose, as well as the intent and lowering the price isn't going to handle both issues the law was written for.

:tongue0011:

swage33
01-30-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm no sexist but I question the wisdom of appointing a woman as secretary of state. Clinton, Bush Jr. and now Obama....not every society sees things as we do.

Nickdfresh
01-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Don't conservative watchdog groups have better things to do? Like maybe figuring out why the electorate fucking hates them?

FORD
01-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Nah, we just hate Clinton. Because she wants socialized medicine which will disrupt the both quality and the cost of it.

If she wanted "socialized" medicine, it would be a good thing. Unfortunately, what she wants is Twit Romney style mandatory corporatized medicine. :(

Baby's On Fire
01-30-2009, 10:10 PM

Are you truly this stupid? I mean REALLY?

"Socialized" medicine is much CHEAPER....you stale fucking cumwad.