PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Trick launches YouTube channel

Coyote
02-01-2009, 03:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/cheaptrick has launched, featuring tons of rare CHEAP TRICK video! Currently featuring unseen footage such as the complete Providence, R.I. 1980 concert with newly remastered audio, straight from broadcast quality masters - Dream Police Tour 1979 @ Budokan - Night Gallery 1975 - and more being added every week.

"Hello There/Clock Strikes Ten" Providence, RI 1980
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7nI-_wn3n5M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7nI-_wn3n5M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Coyote
02-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Some Budokan clips there, too...

Surrender
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-Zhul9E6arw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-Zhul9E6arw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

78/84 guy
02-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Great live band. What are some of their better studio disc's ? I think I only have Busted from the 90's.

chefcraig
02-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Outstanding! Thanks for the heads-up. :band:

rustoffa
02-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks!!!
:rockon:

ELVIS
02-03-2009, 03:27 AM
That is KICK-ASS !!

I've been watching Cheap Trick videos for hours and hours !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome!!

:elvis:

ELVIS
02-03-2009, 03:55 AM
Check out this review!

Cheap Trick
Budokan!

http://crawdaddy.wolfgangsvault.com/uploadedImages/Wolfgangs_Vault/Crawdaddy!/Copy/Reviews/Issue_233/CheapTrick-large.jpg
Sony Legacy, 2009

There's nothing quite as comforting to me as a chilly and rainy night in December and a loved one who has the bright idea to curl up with me and a stack of DVDs while the rest of the world braves Christmas shopping amidst winter chill and the economic crisis… "What about this Cheap Trick at Budokan thing?" he asked. It was all the excuse I needed to say, “Hell yeah,” before popping in the disc and hopping on the couch to watch the DVD included in the four-disc box set of Budokan!, now celebrating its 30th anniversary.

But somewhere after the obligatory stage entrance footage and Rick Nielsen's guitar and Tom Petersson's bass scratching the chords to the band's customary opening number, "Hello There", but before Bun E. Carlos came down hard on the snare and Robin Zander could blurt out in hard rock-ese, "Hello there ladies and gentleman, hello there ladies and gents, are you ready to rock?," I could no longer contain myself. "You know they're playing right now," I squealed. "Right now? Let's go!" said my man, and off we went to the show. But though my quick-change transformation from nubby-sweatered homebody to aging rock chick occurred in seconds flat, sadly by the time we got to Hollywood, Cheap Trick were ending their set with "Goodnight", their customary show closer: "That's the end of the show, now it's time to go." As it was, we got to see a couple of encores, including "Dream Police", then it was back home to the DVD where we left it, at "ELO Kiddies", and all before 11 o'clock.

For anyone unfamiliar with the legend, there was a time when Cheap Trick ruled the world—or at least Japan—where they were welcomed like the Beatles on their first trip there in 1978. Unprepared for the hysteria that would ensue, according to the DVD extras, the band didn't enjoy being held hostage by screaming Japanese teenagers, though the trans-Pacific press and their imported Budokan show set the stage for the Trick's return to the US where, after three studio albums, they finally broke through.

The single record set Cheap Trick at Budokan was released stateside in February 1979. It contained 10 songs—five on side A, five on side B—culled from a 19-song set performed over multiple nights. Very little fixing occurred to the tapes that were reportedly in bad shape, but that made no difference to its reception: The album stayed on the charts for a year, achieved rare "triple platinum" status, and sparked two Top 10 singles, a rearranged version of "I Want You to Want Me" from the band's album In Color, and a heavy rock cover of Fats Domino's "Ain't That a Shame."

This 30th anniversary edition includes the whole 19-song set from Friday April 28th, filmed for Japanese television, with a restored soundtrack. It also includes Cheap Trick at Budokan, The Complete Concert and the original set in order, on two discs, digitally remastered (originally released in 1998, on the concert's 20th anniversary)—which is to say that some of your favorite Cheap Trick songs are included up to three times in a super-deluxe four-disc package that also includes a full color booklet, informative liner notes, and a poster. Yes, a poster. For a minute, I wondered what a first wave Cheap Trick fan was supposed to do with a poster, but then I remembered this edition is not being marketed to the likes of me.

The four cartoonish personalities that comprise Cheap Trick and make a mega-noise with just the basic guitar, bass, and drums instrumentation have, for the most part, transcended generational appeal and genre labels in a way that few other bands have: Hard rock, punk, and pop bands have all paid homage to them with covers and words of high praise. Before seeing this DVD, I'd never noticed just how many of Billie Joe Armstrong's moves are similar to Rick Nielsen's. Fans run the gamut from the mullet-headed to the tres cool, while every frontman need take note of the icy cool of Robin Zander. Carlos and Petersson are, of course, the less-heralded glue, though it's Carlos that drives the whole machine and without Petersson, cod versions of Cheap Trick were nothing (mercifully he rejoined after a six-year hiatus in the ’80s).

Though I never refuse an excuse to play some old Cheap Trick records or see them play, admittedly as the years pass, I've found other diversions. And yet, when I do bother to revisit the old recordings, give the new ones a try, or go to a show, I'm astonished by the band's raw power. The way they rock Terry Reid's "Speak Now (Or Forever Hold Your Peace)" here is a revelation. And though I've always loved the sweet stuff like "Downed", "Oh Caroline", and the reworked "I Want You to Want Me" (which Zander introduces by enunciating slowly and loudly, as if that way the Japanese speakers could understand), all from my favorite album, In Color, I was happy to be reminded of "Can't Hold On", a rare blues turn by the band. I have often asserted to anyone who'll listen that "Auf Wiedersehen" rocks as solidly as anything released in the punk era, which it was, though I have yet to find anyone's enthusiasm for the song to match mine.

Nothing on this winter night can tamp down my spirit as the disc plays on, and as it played, I got to real reason and the real feelings I get when I hear Cheap Trick, even after some 30 years of listening: They bring me to the edge of my seat; I bite my nails and press my hands over my mouth and muffle screams so as not to disturb the concert like the Japanese schoolgirls once did. I feel adrenaline being released and it's thrilling. I'm thrown into a state of teenage ecstasy—fuelled by the sound of the world and its possibilities, before I grew up and turned sour. Like Led Zeppelin who awaken me in a different way, Zander's voice and Cheap Trick were installed permanently on my human hard drive, and I'm glad to know it's as simple as playing one of their discs that I can return to the states of innocent and idealist. There is magic in this disc, plus anything that can get me out the door on a cold night should be classified as a drug. Best of all, I've experienced no undesirable side effects from rockin' on to "Clock Strikes Ten."

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HBQ9dm7zaQU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HBQ9dm7zaQU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

binnie
02-03-2009, 03:58 AM
Great live band. What are some of their better studio disc's ? I think I only have Busted from the 90's.

Oh man, so many good records:

'Dream Police', 'Cheap Trick', 'Heaven Tonight' or 'In Color' would be a good place to start with studio records, but I'd recommend 'Live at Budokan' (make sure it's the double disc).

ELVIS
02-03-2009, 04:38 AM
Very cool interview...:cool8:

http://www.vintagerock.com/img/rnielsen_1.jpg

By Shawn Perry (http://www.vintagerock.com/rnielsen_interview.aspx)

When I think of the hours I spent in my youth, listening to Cheap Trick's slick and infectious brand of pop rock, I figure what’s a few more weeks in between short chats with the band’s guitarist, chief songwriter and fearless leader, Rick Nielsen. I’d bumped into the wide-eyed Bowery Boy look-alike over the years, but never had the chance for a lengthy chat. Finally, on the eve of the release of the Budokan!: 30th Anniversary Edition box set, a phone interview was scheduled. Unfortunately, Nielsen was suffering from sleep deprivation in Australia, and we only spoke for a few minutes.

Two weeks later, Nielsen called me from Florida and our conversation resumed. Acutely aware of Cheap Trick’s place in the world of music, Nielsen apologized for the brevity of our previous encounter, and went on to fill in the blanks to each and every query I had. We touched on other bands, the legacy of Budokan, the band’s current efforts and Nielsen’s work on John Lennon's Double Fantasy album. the guitarist also had a few words to share about Barack Obama, the former Illinois senator elected President of the United States. With a new record in the can and ready for release, it looks like Rick Nielsen and Cheap Trick are in for the long haul.

~

Hi Rick, how are you?

Hey Shawn (groggily)..

Tired, huh?

We just got to Australia not long ago. Plus the time change and we did a show and I was actually asleep when they woke me up to talk to you. What a pleasure it is to be woken up just to speak to you. I’m just half-kidding, but it’s like, if you need more junk later, I’d be happy to do it during daylight hours. I’m not a wuss about that, but I’d rather give a good interview, then some token piece of crap like I’m the bass player of Uriah Heep or something. I want to do better than that.

That’s funny because I recently interviewed the guitar player for Uriah Heep.

I don’t know who that is (laughs).

It’s Mick Box, the only original member left and a very nice chap indeed. Anyway, you’re playing in Australia with Def Leppard. Is this the first time you’ve toured with them?

No. We’ve been to Europe with them. And all over the United States with them. So I guess they liked us enough (yawns) to ask us to come over here. Oh, excuse me. Plus we’ve had some hits here. “The Flame” was huge. “If You Want My Love” was huge. Dream Police did real well. “Surrender” is well-known.

You finish up in Australia and come back to the States?

We finish up here around the 13th or 14th. Then we come back to do a show in Florida, then about five or seven more shows until the end of the year.

Is it home for the holidays after your swing through Southern Califonria?

We may be playing somewhere over the holidays, maybe in Vegas.

Thirty years ago Cheap Trick made this big splash at the Budokan in Tokyo, Japan. What do you think it was that the Japanese found so damn appealing about Cheap Trick?

Good looks? No, I think it was the music. We had three Number One songs, from our first and second records in Japan. So that surely added to it. We went there in ’78 and the record company said we’re gonna put a record out for these fans because they’re crazy fanatics about Cheap Trick. So we recorded about three or four different shows.

To celebrate Cheap Trick’s At Budokan, you returned back to the scene of the crime this past April (2008), and you have this big fat box set.

It’s pretty cool. I haven’t seen it yet.

I just got a copy last night. It’s very cool. You’ll love it. Is this the last we’ve heard from Budokan, or is there more?

I suppose. We recorded that show and all the shenanigans that go along with it. I don’t think there will be a live Budokan 2008, but there’s material if we need it.

“I Want You To Want Me,” “Ain’t That A Shame” and “Surrender” — those were the songs that really won over the Japanese audiences, but you played heavier stuff like “Auf Wiedersehen” too. How does a song like that go over?

It goes over great. We played it tonight, for a second encore song. It was basically pretty obscure. The fact is that we do it and people go nuts over it.

When the original album came out, there were only 10 tracks. The box set has over 30. I know there was talk of a double album and there were recording glitches, but none of that stopped it from becoming this monster hit. If you could go back, would have changed anything?

The only thing I would have changed is we had the second half of the show (coughs). We should have put it out, instead of waiting of 20 years to put out the complete show. We should have put it out in a timely fashion.

(At the point, we stop the interview because Rick is fading fast. We agree to talk at a later date. Two weeks later, we’re back on the phone.)

When we last spoke you were in Australia, getting ready to play a few dates with Def Leppard. How did that go?

It went great. Good tour. We played to the throngs.

You’ve played in Australia before, haven’t you?

Maybe five to seven times.

And you’ve toured with just about everyone.

Never with the Rolling Stones.

Would you like to?

Yes and no. I’ve seen bands that open for the Stones, and the only time they got any applause was when they finished.

Do you have any favorite bands you like going on the road with?

We just got done with Journey. That was a fun tour. I like to play. I don’t really care who we play with.

So you don’t really hang out with the other band or check out their set?

Oh no, I do. We toured with AC/DC back in the day, and we’d do flip flops with those guys — one night they’d headline, the next night we’d headline. We were both doing fairly well at the time. That was one band I could sit and watch every night. We toured with Aerosmith, and other bands, but the one I could sit and watch every night was AC/DC. They were just so good. Pure, rich rock. The show was fine, but musically, it was just my cup of tea.

When you first played in Japan, were you on tour with another band?

Every time we’ve been to Japan, we’ve been on our own. We did Summer Sonic, which was like a hundred bands, and we did a couple festivals, but for the most part, we’ve been the headliner there.

Have you had a chance to check out the new Budokan box set yet?

I got it on my way down here. I’m in Florida right now.

What’s the deal with the footage on the DVD? It was just sitting in a vault some place?

Yeah some place…in a vault or on a curbside, for all I know.

Did you know it existed?

Yeah, we knew it existed because it had been a TV show. I have a lot of videos of Cheap Trick and different stuff we’ve done, but does that mean everyone’s gonna see it? Probably not. I never thought about it coming out. It seems as though it should have come out ages ago. Past that point, it’s like…well does anyone care to see this? But the interest about seeing it got to be quite good. Enough people said, “Wow! This is cool. We got to do something with this.”

It happens and it didn’t just happen over night. Over this past year, with Legacy and getting Jack Douglas back involved again…it’s not like something we had to have done. I guess the moon and the planets all aligned correctly. How else can you explain it.

I’ve noticed a lot of footage has come out of the woodwork ever since DVDs have been introduced. Maybe it’s the technology.

Oh yeah, the technology. Originally, it was like watching Amos n’ Andy on kinescope. You don’t exist unless they get the transfer to a different format or it’s kind of lost.

And now you can add a 5.1 surround mix to it?

Right. Thirty years ago when we did it in 5.1 sound and it wasn't even there (laughs). Remember when it used to be all mono records, and let’s go to stereo, then quadraphonic and it’s like, whoa, that’s not such a great idea, let’s go back to stereo.

When you listen to the album and see the video, is there anything that sticks out in your mind about those shows?

Well, just that it was fun to do. The thing known from the Budokan record, the original one had “Ain’t That A Shame” with the drum intro. If you watch the video, it’s from a different night. When they start the song, a girl jumps out of the balcony onto the stage and grabs me, and there goes the drum solo.

With Cheap Trick, every night we play the same tunes, of course, but we’re not “studio guys” where every note and every take is the same. It’s not perfect; it’s rock and roll music. It’s never supposed to be perfect. Once it is, then you’re just a copycat and that’s a good excuse for me to be sloppy. I can’t replicate it over and over and over. Once I have a riff down perfect — whatever the definition of perfect is — then it’s like, hmmm…maybe I should try it in a different position. Or gee this is not good in this octave or if I bend this note, it might sound better. It’s never ending.

So every night’s different.

Yeah. We make real mistakes. Sometimes, they’re good ones.

One good mistake you made was your last studio album Rockford, which was probably one of my most favorite albums of 2006. And I saw a show behind that at the Wiltern Theater here in Los Angeles.

That’s where we got kind of scouted out for what we’re doing tonight, the Sgt. Pepper thing.

And that’s what you’re doing in Florida tonight?

We got Donovan out of retirement, and we got the Florida Rock Symphony.

You played Sgt. Pepper at the Hollywood Bowl, right?

Yeah, so we got asked to do it here. So we’re doing it tonight. It’s sold-out. So it was back at the Wiltern where the people from the Hollywood Bowl came to see us. They were looking for a band that could actually do Sgt. Pepper. I mean, there’s cover bands with their Sgt. Pepper outfits. All of a sudden they have an English accent and that kind of stuff. We’re not like a cover band. Have you ever heard our version of “Magical Mystery Tour”?

Yes, I have.

So you know it’s not the same tune. It’s the same tune, but it’s not us trying to do it...

... It sounds like Cheap Trick.

There you go.

Just like your version of “Day Tripper.” That sounds like Cheap Trick too.

It’s like Roxy Music, when they play a Bob Dylan song, they’re not trying to sound like Bob Dylan at the Monterey Folk Fest. At the Wiltern, when they came to see us, it was kind of like an audition because Robin can sing the heavy stuff and he can sing the sweet stuff. And the band, we can actually play. You know what I mean? Let’s ask Van Halen to do Sgt. Pepper. I don’t think so. The songs are doable. But to play and use the original George Martin orchestral charts — I think we were the perfect fit for that.

I agree. You have that same melodic sense that the Beatles had. And, of course, that’s in your songs, including the batch on Rockford.

We also have another album we’ve already finished.

I was wondering about a follow-up. When can we expect that?

I don’t know exactly, but it’s done. Just this past year.

Do you have a title?

Not really. We’ve been calling it kind of a trilogy because it’s got three songs, then three that kind of go together, then three, and three, then one. So it’s four trilogies and a bastard (laughs).

You’re one of the few bands from the 70s that has all its original members. Tom left for a period and then came back. How do you keep it all together?

We never speak to each other. I really don’t know. I mean, why do you break up? Or how did you get together? All of them don’t make any sense, so why try to figure it out. We just enjoy what we do.

You’re well-known for your eclectic arsenal of guitars, especially your customized Five Neck.

I actually have three of those.

How much does one of those guitars weigh?

I don’t have a clue. I could make up something. Stack up three, four, five Les Pauls around your neck, and do the math.

And you play all five necks, right?

Oh, of course. All equally terrible.

I read you’ve owned over 2,000 guitars?

That’s right. Two-thousand musical instruments.

How many are currently in your collection?

Four-hundred and something.

Do you have a favorite?

No, not yet.

You’re also famous for throwing stuff into the audience.

Yeah (laughs).

The first time I saw Cheap Trick, it was a New Year’s Eve show at the Long Beach Arena, around 1979, 1980.

Didn’t we play with Kansas?

You might have, I don’t remember. I was sitting about 30 rows back and there were picks flying all over the place. When you flick a guitar pick into the crowd, are you going for distance or accuracy?

Both. Not always distance. When I shoot one out, I’m usually aiming at something that I’m looking at. It’s hard to throw a little of piece of something accurately, even a couple of feet. Here’s my only skill I can put on my resume: I like to play music and I throw stuff occasionally. That’s not a very good resume to try and get a job with. I’m proud of playing with Cheap Trick, but my other skills are quite limited.

How accurately can you throw a KISS record?

I have no accuracy at all. It just goes all over the place.

Rick, you’ve had an incredible run with Cheap Trick, but you’ve also done a few high-profile sessions outside of the band. I think probably the most famous of those was when you and Bun E. Carlos worked with John Lennon. What do you remember about that experience?

I remember everything. It was a secret. We couldn’t tell anyone about it. I remember it was August 12, 1980 — the same day my son Dax was born. I remember smuggling Cuban cigars from Canada into the studio and smoking them with John and Yoko and Jack Douglas. And returning with a guitar I had made for John. That’s at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, that guitar I had made for him at Hamer. I loaned him my Fender StringBender, that’s what it was called, and I got it back three years after he was killed.

What was he like in the studio?

It wasn’t like, “Hello Mr. Lennon, what would you like us to play.” It was like, musician to musician. Me, like a fool, I never asked him for an autograph. We didn’t even get pictures taken. Bob Gruen was supposed to be there, and he didn’t shoot any pictures. He was asking me questions, instead of, “What was it like to be in the Beatles?” I didn’t ask him that kind of stuff.

Bun E. said that when I was doing the “Losing You” guitar stuff, he (Lennon) said, “Oh, I kind of wish I would have had him” — meaning me — “doing ‘Cold Turkey.’” He said, “Clapton choked up.” That’s what he said. Bun E. knows more about that than me because I was in the other room. It was just an honor to play on it. Even to this day, if it would have been, “Hey Rick, you get to play with Elvis, you get play with Paul McCartney, you get to play with Mick Jagger, or you get to play with John Lennon.” John Lennon is the only one I would have picked out of that bunch.

You ever jam with any of the other Beatles?

At one point, I was going to be producing half a Ringo record, and David Bowie was going to be doing the other half and that didn’t happen. George Harrison — I never met him but he was best friends with one of my best friends, Pete Alenov from St. Paul, Minnesota. He’s a guitar dealer. And he actually saw George when George went to the Mayo Clinic, toward the end there. So that didn’t happen. When we worked with George Martin in London at AIR Studios, McCartney was downstairs, waiting for him to go to dinner, he and Linda. And they were gonna come up after, but didn’t. We were supposed to meet another time, but didn’t. Paul McCartney’s left-handed Les Paul that he plays — that was mine. They only made three in 1960, and he got it from me. And we played together at the Super Bowl down in Florida, but we never sat and chatted, so there you go. John’s the man.

We just elected a senator from Illinois for president. Does that mean Cheap Trick has a shot at playing the inauguration?

They haven’t called yet, but I don’t know, we’re down in Florida right now, so maybe there will be a message when we get home. You know, Obama signed a piece of paper because we got an award in Chicago from the Grammys. We got it a year ago, last October. It was Kanye West, Joe Shanahan and Cheap Trick. We got it from Mayor Daley and we got it from Obama.

Last year, I went down to the state of Illinois, to the Senate, and we were voted in unanimously and bipartisan via the senate so that April 1st is Cheap Trick Day in the state of Illinois. So I don’t think Obama owes us too much any more. I’m just happy, from traveling around the world, that people look at us — at American people like this is something great. Nobody’s a magician, but he seems less like the politicians that we’ve been having for years. You know, spend, spend, spend. I believe there’s gonna be a future for my children and my grandchildren. As opposed, to what my father told me 40 or 50 years ago, how far we were going in debt with the country.

Obama wants to strengthen the infrastructure of the United States, and I think that it was a pretty good thing when they put the picture of him as a Roosevelt in the car. It’s hard to imagine that from the time I was in grade school and high school, the complexion, in more ways than one, have really changed. I think it’s a step in the right direction.

ELVIS
02-03-2009, 06:13 AM
More Cheap Trick candy...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ykaqRxLswrc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ykaqRxLswrc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ELVIS
02-03-2009, 07:18 AM
Crazy guitar playing in this...:biggrin:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ye4U7Qp5sNU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ye4U7Qp5sNU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ELVIS
02-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Crazy Rick Nielsen solo...

Easy to tell he's an Angus Young fan...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zdwMSONE-aw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zdwMSONE-aw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ELVIS
02-24-2009, 08:07 AM
Got my Cheap Trick Budokan! video (which also comes with three more concerts on audio CD and a cool book) and it kicks ass !!!

Best Buy $29

GET IT !!!

Susie Q
02-24-2009, 11:37 PM

One of my ALL TIME FAVORITE bands!! LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM! They never have a bad concert in my opinion. There for a long while I was seeing them live just about every year since Dream Police Tour.

The BEST studio album that they put out was their first which, in my opinion goes neck and neck with Van Halen's debut album. The music on Cheap Trick's first album is so eclectic and has so many gems on it, there isn't a stone left unturned. I would start right from scratch and work your way up, honestly. I even have their EP Found All the Parts. I would say the first 6 albums are a must purchase. After that you have to pick the gems off the albums.

Here are their Albums:

Cheap Trick
In Color and Black and White
Heaven Tonight
Live at Budokan
Dream Police
All Shook Up
One On One - This album did NOT have Tom Petersson in it.
Next Position Please - This album did NOT have Tom Petersson in it.
Standing on the Edge - This album did NOT have Tom Petersson in it. (I didn't buy this one)
Lap of Luxury - I bought this cause Tom Petersson came back to the band.

They had a bunch more, but I don't know what they were from here on out, cause I stopped buying the albums by then.

ELVIS
02-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Buy the DVD Sue!

Mr Walker
02-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Here are their Albums:

Cheap Trick
In Color and Black and White
Heaven Tonight
Live at Budokan
Dream Police
All Shook Up
One On One - This album did NOT have Tom Petersson in it.
Next Position Please - This album did NOT have Tom Petersson in it.
Standing on the Edge - This album did NOT have Tom Petersson in it. (I didn't buy this one)
Lap of Luxury - I bought this cause Tom Petersson came back to the band.

They had a bunch more, but I don't know what they were from here on out, cause I stopped buying the albums by then.

Here's the others...

The Doctor (came out after SOTE and before LOL)
Busted
Woke Up With A Monster
Sex, America, Cheap Trick (4cd box set)
Cheap Trick (1997) - their 2nd self-titled album
Music For Hangovers (live)
Silver (live)
Special One
Rockford

Plus a few greatest hits compilations and 'Budokan' repackagings sprinkled in, including the new one mentioned by ELVIS.

binnie
02-25-2009, 03:34 PM
This thread rules!

Coyote
02-25-2009, 03:56 PM
This is what VH should've done, to an extent...

Va Beach VH Fan
02-25-2009, 11:02 PM
I don't think a lot of the youngin's realize just how big they were when "Live at Budokan" came out....

On a personal note, I was thrilled that I was able to go to Budokan several times in the '80's, seeing groups like Crue, Priest, Loudness (twice), and Bon Jovi.... But I always thought of Cheap Trick and KISS doing shows there as well...

Mr Walker
02-26-2009, 10:24 AM
Cheap Trick has jumped on the Def Leppard/Poison summer tour.

Susie Q
02-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Cheap Trick has jumped on the Def Leppard/Poison summer tour.

Get the fuck outta HERE! Wooooooooooo!!:happy0065::appl::band::rockit:

Def Leppard and Cheap Trick!!

Mr Walker
02-26-2009, 11:53 AM
DEF LEPPARD, POISON, CHEAP TRICK Tour Dates Announced - Feb. 26, 2009
In what is sure to be the biggest rock event this summer, Britain's greatest arena rock band DEF LEPPARD will join forces with POISON and special guest CHEAP TRICK for a 39-city North American Tour. Tickets go on-sale to the general public beginning Friday, March 6 at www.livenation.com. Citi cardmembers will have access to presale tickets beginning March 4 at 10am local time through Citi's Private Pass Program. For complete presale details visit www.privatepass.citi.com.

The tour, which kicks off on June 23 in Camden, N.J, promises an unprecedented night for those in attendance. The show will highlight three decades of music from three of rock 'n' roll's greatest bands for a four-hour interactive concert experience that will begin the moment that the doors open. It will feature Bluetooth technology and delivery, text communications prior to and during performances and a host of interactive offerings.

"I'm very pleased that we are coming back to North America," said DEF LEPPARD front man Joe Elliott. "We're gonna be touring with some new friends and some old friends and can guarantee it will be the rock tour of the summer."

"There is nothing better than an epic summer concert and this tour is a dream come true for rock 'n' roll fans. It will be a night of a thousand hits with three hard-charging rock bands on the road together," said POISON front man and star of VH1's top-rated "Rock of Love Bus" reality show, Bret Michaels.

"We'll probably start rehearsing at the end of May and do a Monday to Friday thing. We like to have those be as civilized as we possibly can," vocalist Elliott tells Billboard.com. "There's no point in leading up to the first gig and having no voice or your fingers bleeding."

"We're going out with three bands, which limits the amount of time we can play to about 90 minutes," he adds. "When you do your greatest hits and some new material or extra stuff you might throw in, you have got to push and shove and clamp down. No big long speeches from moi. You have to do the AC/DC thing and just bang through everything."

DEF LEPPARD / POISON / CHEAP TRICK tour dates (venues to be announced):

Jun. 23 - Camden, N.J.
Jun. 25 - Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Jun. 26 - Darien Center, N.Y.
Jun. 28 - Scranton, Pa.
Jun. 30 - Mansfield, Mass.
Jul. 01 - Holmdel, N.J.
Jul. 03 - Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
Jul. 04 - Toronto, Ontario
Jul. 07 - Hartford, Conn.
Jul. 08 - Wantagh, N.Y.
Jul. 10 - Burgettstown, Penn.
Jul. 11 - Virginia Beach, Va.
Jul. 12 - Bristow, Va.
Jul. 15 - Cincinnati
Jul. 17 - Tinley Park, Ill.
Jul. 18 - Milwaukee, Wis.
Jul. 20 - Maryland Heights, Mo.
Jul. 21 - Kansas City, Mo.
Jul. 23 - Noblesville, Ind.
Jul. 24 - Clarkston, Mich.
Aug. 07 - Raleigh, N.C.
Aug. 08 - Charlotte, N.C.
Aug. 10 - Nashville
Aug. 11 - Birmingham, Al.
Aug. 13 - West Palm Beach, Fla.
Aug. 14 - Tampa, Fla.
Aug. 15 - Atlanta
Aug. 18 - New Orleans
Aug. 19 - Houston
Aug. 21 - Dallas
Aug. 22 - Tulsa, Ok.
Aug. 24 - Englewood, Colo.
Aug. 25 - Salt Lake City
Aug. 28 - Albuquerque, N.M.
Aug. 29 - Phoenix
Aug. 30 - Irvine, Calif.
Sep. 02 - Mountain View, Calif.
Sep. 03 - Sacramento, Calif.
Sep. 05 - Las Vegas
Sep. 07 - San Bernadino, Calif.

Mr Walker
02-26-2009, 11:54 AM
My head cannot begin to comprehend the amount of MILFs and Cougars that are gonna be at these shows this summer.

binnie
02-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Cheap Trick with Def Leppard and Poison?

What, are they providing the musical substance on this tour?

ELVIS
02-26-2009, 02:05 PM
No shit!

I have no desire to see Def Leppard or Poison...

They're an insult to Cheap Trick's musical ability...

But they're conning to New Orleans, so if it's cheap enough, i'll go...

binnie
02-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Cheap Trick don't play the UK much, but I'll be there in a heartbeat next time they do.

I can think of many bands who have SO MANY winning songs....

Mr. Vengeance
02-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Anyone who didn't pick up their last album Rockford is missing out, because it was one of the best albums of the year that year.

GAR
02-26-2009, 06:53 PM
This is what VH should've done, to an extent...

Dya think?!?!

Coyote
02-27-2009, 05:01 AM
Dya think?!?!

Dya think I should?

Mr Walker
04-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Cheap Trick.com (http://www.cheaptrick.com/)

CHEAP TRICK will be releasing a new album prior to the start of their summer tour. More details will follow……stay tuned!

ELVIS
04-06-2009, 02:53 PM
BRILLIANT!

Check out the tone Rick had in this awesome 1977 video clip...

Killer song as well...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KGvJFEdY4NE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KGvJFEdY4NE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ELVIS
04-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Check this one out!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jxKm5PjFMHQ&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jxKm5PjFMHQ&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ELVIS
04-06-2009, 03:04 PM
One more I never heard...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3gkwtG8uLzg&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3gkwtG8uLzg&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ELVIS
04-06-2009, 03:12 PM
LMAO! BAD ASS!!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0iziv9znHFY&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0iziv9znHFY&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ELVIS
04-06-2009, 03:15 PM
John Lennon with Cheap Trick- I&#180;m losing you

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/im3AUiCGqnk&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/im3AUiCGqnk&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ELVIS
04-06-2009, 03:27 PM
The three musicians in this video also played on the original recording on Lennon's Double Fantasy album recorded august 1980, but the sessions never made the album because yoko thought this "unknown band" was trying to promote off John. So instead, the originial band for the album played it with the Cheap Trick version playing in their headsets...

Or so I read...

Mr Walker
05-14-2009, 03:40 PM
CHEAP TRICK PERFORMS THE THEME SONG FOR THE MOVIE “TRANSFORMERS 2″ - COMING THIS SUMMER!

May 8, 2009 at 12:10 pm &#183; Filed under News

CHEAP TRICK PERFORMS THE THEME SONG FOR THE MOVIE “TRANSFORMERS 2″ - COMING THIS SUMMER! More info to come!

Good for them!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Coyote
05-20-2009, 05:45 AM
Rehearasal tape circa 1980, part 1

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fg-sULSVpdo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fg-sULSVpdo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Coyote
05-20-2009, 05:47 AM
And again, the minds reels...

What in the world is restraining EVH from doing things like this?

ELVIS
05-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Who knows, Coyo...

But thatks for starting this thread...

Since you posted some of this stuff, i've gone out and bought Budokon twice, once for me, and one for my brother's birthday...

I'm also into masking analog Minidiscs which I compress and eq to get a more powerful sound, and i've made a few Cheap Trick discs now as well as countless others over the years...

Coyote
05-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Who knows, Coyo...

But thatks for starting this thread...

Since you posted some of this stuff, i've gone out and bought Budokon twice, once for me, and one for my brother's birthday...

You're welcome. :)

Mr Walker
05-29-2009, 08:44 AM
CHEAP TRICK - New Album To Be Made Available In In Limited LP And 8-track Editions!
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 22:56:12 EST

Gary Graff from Billboard.com is reporting:

CHEAP TRICK is stepping outside of the label world to release its next studio album, The Latest, itself.

The veteran rock group will start taking pre-orders for the 13-track set, which it recorded during the past year mostly in Los Angeles with producer Julian Raymond, on Friday via its official web site, Cheap Trick.com (http://www.cheaptrick.com), and at Amazon.com. Those who pre-order will receive The Latest on June 23, the day Cheap Trick starts it summer tour with DEF LEPPARD and POISON in Camden, N.J. Amazon will have exclusive rights for one month, and the album will also be available in limited LP and 8-track editions.

Dave Frey of Red Light Management tells Billboard.com that via Amazon and other database information, anyone who's purchased Cheap Trick music, merchandise or concert tickets in the recent past will be notified about the album. Those buying tickets for the tour will also be able to purchase The Latest at a slight discount.

"We just want to sell it over time and not have it be all about making a big impact in the first few weeks," Frey says. "We've got a lot going on with online marketing direct to people who have bought Cheap Trick things. We want to try to do as much direct to consumer activity as possible and do everything we can to remove anything that's in the way of the band reaching the fans directly."

The Latest is certainly an album likely to curry favor with the Cheap Trick faithful, filled with anthemic power pop tunes such as 'Miss Tomorrow', 'California Girl', 'Alive' and a cover of SLADE's 'When The Lights Are Out', BEATLESque songs like 'Miracle', 'Everybody Knows' and 'Times of Our Lives', and the power ballads 'These Days', 'Closer...' and 'Smile'. "We wanted to make a record that sounded like 2009, get something that sounds like us this year," drummer Bun E. Carlos explains.

Mr Walker
05-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Can't find the pre-order on Amazon yet, but as soon as I do... my order is in.
8-track? Damn, that's fucked up... I have a buddy who still has an 8 Track player and a massive collection of tapes.

Coyote
05-31-2009, 11:02 AM
New Track!!! "Sick Man Of Europe"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ApBANSCr6iw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ApBANSCr6iw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mr Walker
06-01-2009, 11:39 AM
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/6e/7f/597ec060ada08d66e2191210.L.jpg

Mr Walker
06-02-2009, 06:41 AM
New Track!!! "Sick Man Of Europe"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ApBANSCr6iw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ApBANSCr6iw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Can't believe how well Zander's voice has held up through the years.

BTW... How did Conan O'Brien begin his highly anticipated run as the Tonight Show host in the US? With a fucking Cheap Trick song!!! :happy0158:

Mr Walker
06-04-2009, 09:25 AM
More good news from the Cheap Trick camp...
Looks like they are releasing the 'Every Trick In The Book' video compilation on blu-ray

Amazon.com: Cheap Trick: Every Trick In The Book: Cheap Trick: Movies & TV (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00278FSTG/ref=pd_luc_sbs_02_01)

Mr Walker
06-11-2009, 06:51 AM
Cheap Trick's cover of the Transformer's theme for the movie soundtrack...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qSgnhCmwIfo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qSgnhCmwIfo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

twonabomber
06-11-2009, 09:45 AM
More good news from the Cheap Trick camp...
Looks like they are releasing the 'Every Trick In The Book' video compilation on blu-ray

Amazon.com: Cheap Trick: Every Trick In The Book: Cheap Trick: Movies & TV (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00278FSTG/ref=pd_luc_sbs_02_01)

uh...that page says DVD.

my transfer from VHS will now be obsolete!

Mr Walker
06-11-2009, 10:22 AM
uh...that page says DVD.

my transfer from VHS will now be obsolete!

Amazon.com: Every Trick in the Book [Blu-ray]: Cheap Trick: Movies & TV (http://www.amazon.com/Every-Trick-Book-Blu-ray-Cheap/dp/B002AT4JQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1244730154&sr=1-1)

Mr Walker
06-23-2009, 10:45 AM
New disc is available today.
I ordered the CD but since I ordered it with the blu-ray (to avoid shipping costs) I won't get it until the middle of July, so I downloaded the mp3 version from Amazon so I can hear it now. I don't mind paying for it twice... the band deserves it!

Mr Walker
07-15-2009, 12:08 PM
The new CD is fucking great... I mean really fucking great.

hambon4lif
11-03-2009, 08:38 PM
I have an update on the Trick.
As most of you know by now, their fall tour was cancelled due to "very personal reasons". Rick wrote a blog apologizing to the fans because he prides himself and his band for never cancelling shows....EVER! Obviously, there is something very serious they need to deal with right now...and all the people of Rockford who know these guys, and hang with them and their children (who also ROCK like like a muthrfukkr!!), have far too much respect for them to inquire any details. What I can tell you is that the people of Rockford, Illinois have Cheap Trick and their family members in their prayers, and hoping for the very best for whatever it is they're having to deal with right now. This band is unquestionably a class act, always has been. And so are their fans.

On a lighter note, I had the honor of hanging out with Bun E. last weekend at this place in the sticks called 'The Grove'. He was there because Robins daughter (the always amazing & badass Holland Zander) has a badass band she sings for and they were playing there. He even got behind the kit when they played "She's Tight" and he was nothing less than unbelievable. He still hits harder than hell. The whole time I'm watching this I'm thinking about what an honor and a privilege to even know them and be around them. Cheap Trick are, without a shadow of a motherfucking doubt, the most under-rated rock bands in the entire history of Rock'N'Roll, and they also happen to be the classiest group of people you will ever want to know.

Surrender your glasses and raise a toast to the Dream Police! Weather the storm, Return to form, and continue to kick serious Rock'N'Roll ass!
Cheers!!

hambon4lif
11-03-2009, 09:09 PM
BUMP over the ever popular Chickenshit thread! Fuck the Hagar love!

Goldfinger
11-04-2009, 03:10 AM
I don't care how old I get, Cheap Trick still seems to bring me back to my WAY early teenaged years and I love listening to that shit.