PDA

View Full Version : Travel Guru Rick Steves' "Marijuana: It's time for a conversation"

DEMON CUNT
02-01-2009, 04:01 PM
http://www.createtv.com/CreateProgram.nsf/vProgramsByNola/RKSE/$FILE/rickstevescows3.jpg

Across the nation, people are beginning to reconsider our marijuana laws. In 2007, America set a new record by arresting over 870,000 individuals for marijuana offenses; 89% of these arrests were for simple possession only. Marijuana remains as available as ever through an unregulated illegal market. Enforcement of marijuana laws costs taxpayers billions of dollars each year – precious public safety resources that could be directed toward more important priorities and more effective policies.

More info & video here:

http://www.marijuanaconversation.org/interviews/

hideyoursheep
02-01-2009, 04:13 PM
As long as there's a buck to be made by criminalizing it, the laws won't change...Fines, court costs, etc..mostly misdemeanor charges.

If it were legal, what could keep people from growing their own? The gov't would still lose money from not being able to tax what they didn't sell to you, know what I mean?

FORD
02-01-2009, 04:51 PM
On the other hand, if the government regulated and taxed it like they do alcohol and tobacco, they could cancel the fucking national debt within a few years. Yes, even the post-Chimpy debt.

Some people would grow their own, but some people also make their own beer or wine, and that certainly doesn't hurt the commerical alcohol industry.

My only problem with "legal" weed is that either Phillip Morris would try to control it, and they would spray it with all the same radioactive toxins they put on their tobacco. Or Monsanto would take it over and would do like they do with corn, and you would have genetically modified Frankenweed. It would barely get you high, and probably fuck up 100 different things in your body at the same time.

Redballjets88
02-01-2009, 05:37 PM
As long as there's a buck to be made by criminalizing it, the laws won't change...Fines, court costs, etc..mostly misdemeanor charges.

If it were legal, what could keep people from growing their own? The gov't would still lose money from not being able to tax what they didn't sell to you, know what I mean?

People might grow it if it is legal, but the increased availability would eventually make growing less popular than it is now. Just like I could grow my own tobacco but don't after a few years it would be more effective just to go out and buy a pack of Marlboro greens.

thome
02-01-2009, 05:44 PM
I have stated this before, but I must again...I swear to -All That Is-. I see no issues with Pot ..It should be as legal as Sunshine....

But ..But ...the last thing I ever want to be involved in is the monday morning commute to work, in every insane highway lane, all across this country................... full of the bumper to bumpers, at 70mph.... -The Legally Stoned-.

Like Gun Laws.... somethings are better left the way they are.

Decriminalize, the posession to fines only...... based on the amount.

Such as;.. under -Ten Kilos- no fine, that hardly makes someone want to be a distributor, but let's everyone benifit in all ways, selling or posession for personal.

The Fine should be 65% of the going rate based on weight posession.Above 10K.

It should be free to sell, -Tax Free- Like a Church ..Ja Man.

In a short time the prices would drop to "15 bucks a lid".AS GOD INTENDED IT! lol

I take maybe two hits a year at parties for the last 20 years. I peeked early on this drug, as in you can Trip to the point of LSD like.. if enough is smoked in one 24 hr period as in 1 pound split between 7 people in one room .

The Green high potency sh!t you all smoke these days is pathetic...disturbing speedy high smells like piss all of it ugg.. ....sad you all may never taste Oaxaca or sum sweetness like Gold Bud Mexican.....

Peace.

kwame k
02-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Even if that didn't legalize pot for recreational purposes they should allow it for industrial uses........paper, clothes, a substitute for soy and a million other things.....what takes thousands of acres of trees to make paper, that alone would be worth legalizing it......it would be the male plants and you could smoke an ounce of that shit and only get a headache.........renewable every season, easy to grow and a million uses.......