PDA

View Full Version : 1984 tour TV quality multicamera pro shot video - does anyone know where to find one?

dave_is_vh
05-22-2004, 01:16 AM
I've seen a low quality single camera video bootleg of the 1984 tour in Montreal or Toronto (I forget which). But I would really like to see a TV quality multicamera pro shot video of a 1984 tour concert.

Does any such video exist?

Where/how can I get a copy?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cato
05-22-2004, 02:27 AM
>I've seen a low quality single camera video bootleg of the 1984 tour in Montreal or Toronto (I forget which).

Montreal. April 19 1984

>Does any such video exist?

yes. but nobody has never seen it:rolleyes:

Alex Mogilny
05-22-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by dave_is_vh
I've seen a low quality single camera video bootleg of the 1984 tour in Montreal or Toronto (I forget which). But I would really like to see a TV quality multicamera pro shot video of a 1984 tour concert.

Does any such video exist?

Where/how can I get a copy?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Alex Van Halen's basement.

dave_is_vh
05-22-2004, 07:32 PM
But I remember that there was a Van Halen concert shown on MTV when the 1984 tour was going on. Was this MTV concert from the 1984 tour? Perhaps it was the US Festival Diver Down show or something like that. It is a crime not to release some Dave/VH concerts on DVD.

EbDawson
05-23-2004, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by dave_is_vh
But I remember that there was a Van Halen concert shown on MTV when the 1984 tour was going on. Was this MTV concert from the 1984 tour?

That was probably the MTV Lost weekend deal that MTV had with VH. I don't think they showed much of the concert though.

There's a Vegas Boot from '84 that's starting to float around. I don't have it and I don't know if it's pro-shot, probably not.

Sucks not having a hi-quality DVD from that era but with Ed what can you expect. Dave said in a recent interview that Ed should open the vaults and release DVD's/video and live cuts from that era but I'm not holding my breath. Look at them releasing Sam singing Dave stuff on the new CD.

dave_is_vh
05-23-2004, 05:18 PM
Releasing Dave era songs with Sam singing is the ultimate slap in the face to VH fans.

ULTRAMAN VH
05-24-2004, 12:49 PM
That MTV show was a concert from Oakland during the FAIR WARNING
TOUR. It would be great if someone had a copy of that.

Lou
05-24-2004, 07:20 PM
I thought I heard there was a pro-shot Leicestershire 8/18/84 out there (not just the Hot For Teacher thing).

dave_is_vh
05-24-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Lou
I thought I heard there was a pro-shot Leicestershire 8/18/84 out there (not just the Hot For Teacher thing).

Any idea how to get a copy?

EbDawson
05-25-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Lou

You talking about the Donnington Castle deal? I saw somebody on e-bay offering a VHS of that show. (no I didn't bid on it) Don't know any details on it.

Also talked to a guy I deal with and he says the Vegas '84 show is audience shot and not a complete show.

EbDawson
05-25-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
That MTV show was a concert from Oakland during the FAIR WARNING
TOUR. It would be great if someone had a copy of that.

Well it wouldn't have been live. MTV came on in'82 and the FW tour was in '81. I think the three Oakland videos, Unchained, Hear About it Later, So This is Love, are just videos. It hasn't been confirmed that a full video of that show exists. I still think that any VH concert on MTV was the '84 tour and in regards to that Lost Weekend With Van Halen giveaway where they brought that guy out onstage and hit him with a cake in the face. The band then went into Ain't Talkin' bout LOve.

jengis
06-04-2004, 10:00 AM
the doninghton show is about 63 mins long , it's audience and it's orrible . i gave my vopy vhs to an english friend , he will put on dvd with other van halen stuff .
but believe me , the donninghton 1984 aud show pretty sucks !!

EbDawson
06-06-2004, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by jengis
the doninghton show is about 63 mins long , it's audience and it's orrible . i gave my vopy vhs to an english friend , he will put on dvd with other van halen stuff .
but believe me , the donninghton 1984 aud show pretty sucks !!

Thanks, that's pretty much what I had thought.

Cato
06-07-2004, 07:18 AM
I heard WB filmed a show(or 2) officially in 1984...

jengis
06-20-2004, 03:01 AM
i heard that soon a pro shot from 1984 tour will surface . someone got on his hands . it's the complete show from doninghton 1984 , but not the audience shot , but the pro-shot version . the same as the famous hot for teacher live from castle doninghton .
i hope that it will surface soon . it would be cool .
i had transferred from a friend of mine from england ( that someone here knows well ) the audience doninghton . it has been remastered and colour recorrected .
the only problem is that is in PAL and not NTSC .
let's hope about this pro-shot !!!!!!!!!!

PhxRocker
06-21-2004, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by EbDawson
MTV came on in'82 and the FW tour was in '81.

I beg to differ with ya....MTV started in 1981. Check their website if you don't believe me.
But you're right about the Oakland show. That show was never aired on MTV in it's entirety...just the 3 songs.

EbDawson
06-21-2004, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by PhxRocker
I beg to differ with ya....MTV started in 1981. Check their website if you don't believe me.
But you're right about the Oakland show. That show was never aired on MTV in it's entirety...just the 3 songs.

OK, I guess it did come on in '81.

No one knows if a full Oakland show exists anywhere. If it does, it's in a vault or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

Speaking of videos though, I seem to remember someone, not MTV, maybe a late night NBC video show from the 80's, playing a live version of "You're No Good". Now I don't even know if they played that one on the FW tour. If not, there's some earlier videos laying around somewhere.

Wayne L.
07-11-2004, 06:48 PM
If I could see a professionally shot concert video of my Van Halen show at the old Charlotte Coliseum in NC on 2/1/84 that would make my day reliving that concert experience one more time!!!

Rebel
07-11-2004, 06:54 PM
Yea, the pro shot from Donnington is on the way. Someone earlier in the thread said they have confirmed the existence of a full video recording of Oakland 81. Where did you hear this? I've been told audio of the entire show was recorded, but only about half the show was filmed.

Seshmeister
07-11-2004, 11:39 PM
All I can say is that a pro shot Donnington video was definitely taken at the time.

A BBC show called 'The old grey whistle test' showed a couple of short clips at the time and again in a top 10 rock acts show last year in the UK a couple of different short clips were shown.

It's frustrating as hell.

The longest clip I've seen although pro shot was annoying though because of stupid camera work e.g. focussing on Mike Anthony during Eddies guitar solo.

The other complication with that show is that at the time the whole audio including the headliners(ACDC) was played on the radio except Van Halen who refused permission so I don't know what the status of the video rights is.

In all of the above I'm racking my brains for info that I remember from the time.

What makes people think that a Donington boot is on it's way?

Cheers!

:gulp:

Rebel
07-12-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
What makes people think that a Donington boot is on it's way?

Time will tell..........;)

Cato
07-12-2004, 12:32 AM
Hummm.......

EbDawson
07-12-2004, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Rebel
Someone earlier in the thread said they have confirmed the existence of a full video recording of Oakland 81. Where did you hear this? I've been told audio of the entire show was recorded, but only about half the show was filmed.

No, no. What we're saying is that no one has ever confirmed existence of a full-legnth '81 Oakland show on video. Only the 3 videos/songs are known to exist. Maybe a full legnth show was shot, maybe not. I think Ed hinted once that the 3 videos are all that's there and that the band very reluctantly released them to MTV etc.

Rebel
07-12-2004, 01:56 AM
Oh, ok, I misread it. I'm sure there is plenty of good film for a solid DVD set even if the famed Oakland show wasn't completly filmed. If Ed would just crack open those vaults a bit.

I'd take an audio set. If it's true there's a master audio from Oakland 81 like I've heard, that would be a perfect official release, especially to coincide with the DLR reunion next year......hopefully.

Frank Booth
07-21-2004, 08:42 PM
The oakland show was recorded for either Don Kirshners rock concert ot the Midnight special. I cant remember which one. These shows were broadcast late saturday night, in the late 70's and very early 80's

The vault to these shows is very extensive and very kick ass!!! I don't know who has the rights to these performances, if they are complete shows or not taped over as that happened quite a bit back then believe it or not.

A good example is the old gray whistle test from England which broadcast live performances and some of the shows are now being remastered and released on DVD.

Hopef'lly the same same be done with the old americam shows from the 70's and 80's

Va Beach VH Fan
07-21-2004, 10:24 PM
I beg to differ with some of you fellas....

I pasted what I posted back in February, the last time this frequently asked question concerning the Oakland '81 show comes up... :D

I did fill in some of the things I couldn't remember, by basically watching the videos again..... They're listed with an ***UPDATE preceding it....

Feel free to keep the research on until we unearth the HOLY GRAIL !!!

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1802&highlight=oakland

I actually did a little research on it about a year ago...

I can't remember the name of the producers offhand, but if you watch after Unchained ends, you see the names of the 3 producers....

***UPDATE: If you watch the FULL Unchained video (not the MTV version, which basically cuts off after the final note), it lists several things not commonly found on a basic music video... It first lists the names of the band members, then it lists several staff members, like Don Landee and some others.... Then, most importantly for this conversation, it states this:

A SOMERS, FIELDS, AND FLATTERY PRODUCTION

COPYRIGHT 1981

VAN HALEN PRODUCTIONS

THAT to me is the clearest indication that this was filmed as a full concert, and not just a few videos....***

I did a Google search on those names and was able to send an email to one of the companies affiliated with them, but they weren't much help at all...

But you do find some interesting stuff when you search for something like, "Van Halen Oakland 1981"...

Like this, here's the link;

http://experts.about.com/q/632/1887495.htm

Topic: Van Halen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expert:Andrea Murphy
Date:9/26/2001
Subject:Videos of early years

Question
I can't seem to get hold of anything of van halen playing live on vid before 5150. My mate bought a really dodgey one years ago of 1984 tour but = it was such bad quality and cost a mint. I saw a clip of them playing 'Here about it later' on Tv a year or so ago on an 80's rock prog on chanel 4. What is that and where can I get a copy of it without getting ripped off?!

Answer
Hi again Jason,

There are very few good tapes of pre-5150 era stuff. Most are late generation and/or taken using questionable gear. The stuff you are talking about is the famous Oakland, CA footage that was pro-shot. It is nice stuff, but only bits and pieces have ever surfaced. Just an idea on how desired the full show is...someone on e-bay claimed to have this full show about a year ago...and bids exceeded $250 prior to the auction being shut down.

What I can do for you...I have a copy of that vid and all the released footage from that show (a few more vids...Unchained, Jamie's Cryin', a few others). On the same tape is also all the 1984 and previous vids in pristine condition. It is dubbed off of some master so it is great quality. Send me your address, give me some good feedback on all experts, and it is yours. No charge. One condition...don't go running to ebay selling it.

If you are into stuff like this...join up with www.vhtrading.com. You can get more ideas on what audio and video is good...and if you can make copies of the tape I send...you will be well on your way as a trader. One rule...don't buy stuff...and don't sell stuff. You can get it all free at this site and make some friends along the way.

Andrea
amurphy1@mediaone.net

And this;

http://www.vhtrading.com/vault/archive11.jpg

That last one would indicate to me that the complete show was taped....

LOL, you realize Andrea is fibbing a little, Jamie's Cryin' is not one of the three videos....

Of course I'm preaching to the wrong choir, but they're Hear About it Later, So This is Love, and my all-time favorite version of my favorite VH song, Unchained....

“ Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Just an idea on how desired the full show is...someone on e-bay claimed to have this full show about a year ago...and bids exceeded $250 prior to the auction being shut down. ”

I wonder if any of us fanatical idiots were included in those who bid ?? I don't recall seeing that, nor hearing about it....