PDA

View Full Version : Americans favor probe of 'war on terror' excesses

kwame k
02-12-2009, 06:19 PM
WASHINGTON (AFP) – Two-thirds of Americans favor investigating whether the George W. Bush administration overstepped legal boundaries in its "war on terror," according to a poll released Thursday by USA Today and Gallup.

A majority of respondents said a probe should be launched into allegations that the Bush team used torture to interrogate terror suspects.

Investigators also should look into the former president's program of wiretapping US citizens without first securing court-issued warrants, respondents said.

About four respondents in 10 polled by USA Today (38 percent) favored criminal investigations, while about a quarter (24 percent) said they want an investigation without criminal charges being filed.

Some one-third of those polled (34 percent) said they want nothing done at all, the pollsters said.

The survey comes as the American Civil Liberties Union and other rights groups press for formal inquiries into whether the Bush administration flouted US and international laws banning torture and the constitutional right to privacy.

The group said in a statement that it plans to mount a campaign next week urging the public to press lawmakers "to fully investigate the US government?s abuses in the war on terror and hold accountable those responsible."

"The human rights organization is calling on President Barack Obama and the US Congress to create an independent and impartial commission to examine the use of torture, indefinite detention, secret renditions and other illegal US counterterrorism policies," the Amnesty statement added.

Two leading Democrats, House Judiciary Committee chairman John Conyers and Senate Judiciary Committee chairman Patrick Leahy has proposed commissions to investigate possible Bush administration violations.

Bush's successor President Barack Obama, at a press conference this week expressed reticence about a probe, saying it was time to move forward.

But he did not rule out possible prosecutions, adding "my view is also that nobody is above the law. And if there are clear instances of wrongdoing, that people should be prosecuted just like any ordinary citizen." And he said he would look at Leahy's proposals.

The telephone survey of 1,027 adults, taken between January 30 and February 1, had a plus or minus three percent sampling error.

Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090212/pl_afp/usattackspoliticsbush)

kwame k
02-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Phew.....I thought it was just the 6 or 7 of us in the Front Line.......

LoungeMachine
02-12-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm resigned to the fact nothing will ever come of this, and the WAR CRIMINALS that got us into this mess, will survive without a scratch.

:gulp:

There is no accountablity in the Federal Government anymore.

kwame k
02-12-2009, 06:34 PM
I hear ya but it's nice to know this even made the news......

chefcraig
02-12-2009, 06:42 PM
I hear ya but it's nice to know this even made the news......

It made the news because the poll was instigated by a news organization. Yet as LM pointed out, it's highly unlikely anything will come of it. http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-sad-smileys-328.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Sad-Smileys/)

LoungeMachine
02-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Politics
February 9, 2009, 5:30 pm

Judiciary Chairman Calls for Commission to Delve into Bush Practices
By Kate Phillips

Senator Patrick Leahy, the Senate Judiciary Committee chairman and one of several Democratic senators who challenged Bush administration policies over the last eight years, called today for a truth commission to conduct inquiries into legal oversight at the Justice Department and various other decisions about interrogation procedures and other practices.

In outlining the Judiciary Committee’s agenda during a speech today at Georgetown University, Mr. Leahy suggested the formation of a truth commission as a compromise between those Bush critics who want to prosecute former administration officials and Bush loyalists who are opposed to any inquiries:

There is another option that we might also consider, a middle ground. A middle ground to find the truth. We need to get to the bottom of what happened — and why — so we make sure it never happens again.

One path to that goal would be a reconciliation process and truth commission. We could develop and authorize a person or group of people universally recognized as fair minded, and without axes to grind. Their straightforward mission would be to find the truth. People would be invited to come forward and share their knowledge and experiences, not for purposes of constructing criminal indictments, but to assemble the facts.

If needed, such a process could involve subpoena powers, and even the authority to obtain immunity from prosecutions in order to get to the whole truth. Congress has already granted immunity, over my objection, to those who facilitated warrantless wiretaps and those who conducted cruel interrogations. It would be far better to use that authority to learn the truth.

Mr. Leahy’s recommendation would seem to contradict wishes expressed by President Obama a few weeks ago, who when asked about possible prosecutions, expressed more a desire to move forward, and to not be diverted by backward-looking investigations. Mr. Leahy acknowledged those sentiments in his speech today.

But he also pointed to efforts by Republican Judiciary panel members, who tried to elicit promises from Attorney General Eric Holder Jr. that he would not pursue criminal prosecutions. (At his confirmation hearing, Mr. Holder, while answering that no one was above the law, also pointed to Mr. Obama’s earlier sentiments and added that he would not want the Justice Department to be prosecuting what may be policy differences) He stopped short of saying no prosecutions.

A truth commission model cited by Mr. Leahy would be that convened in South Africa after apartheid ended. For many years, the Truth and Reconciliation Commission pursued inquiries and held public hearings, taking testimony from citizens and even perpetrators of violence and abusive practices. Mr. Leahy argued today:

Arbitrary power is a powerful, corrosive force in a democracy. Two years ago I described the scandals at the Bush-Cheney-Gonzales Justice Department as the worst since Watergate. They were. We are still digging out from the debris they left behind. Now we face the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression while still contending with national security threats around the world. This extraordinary time cries out for the American people to come together, as we did after 9/11, and as we have done before when we faced difficult challenges.

His call for a new panel — perhaps independent — was immediately applauded by Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, Democrat from Rhode Island and a Judiciary member. “Chairman Leahy today summed up a belief shared by millions of Americans,” Mr. Whitehouse said in a statement, “that we need to ‘get the truth out’ about the damage done to this country under the Bush Administration, and what we now must do to repair it.”

LoungeMachine
02-12-2009, 06:45 PM
It made the news because the poll was instigated by a news organization.

I thought USA Today instigated it.

;)

kwame k
02-12-2009, 06:49 PM
It made the news because the poll was instigated by a news organization. Yet as LM pointed out, it's highly unlikely anything will come of it. http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-sad-smileys-328.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Sad-Smileys/)

So you're going to start using logic on me Craig? Well..... I am outta here, then.;)

LoungeMachine
02-12-2009, 06:51 PM
So you're going to start using logic on me Craig? Well..... I am outta here, then.;)

You have orders to fill, too?

:lol:

kwame k
02-12-2009, 06:55 PM
You have orders to fill, too?

:lol:

Welcome to Taco Bell how may I help you?:biggrin:

Do you think I'm putting too much emphasis on the "how"......tomorrow's a big day.........we're launching a new line of mystery beef tacos......

LoungeMachine
02-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Now your being a hypocrit

kwame k
02-12-2009, 07:06 PM
You started it, you libberal eletist......:hee:

LoungeMachine
02-12-2009, 07:08 PM
I know more about the state of the war on terror than you do.

kwame k
02-12-2009, 07:18 PM
I'll have to agree, since I can't find it on a map for the life of me........but I'm sure Kennedy would have developed the area more and put up those fucking annoying strip malls.