PDA

View Full Version : Wife of 9/11 Victim was in Buffalo Plane Crash

Nickdfresh
02-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Sept. 11 widow killed in Buffalo plane crash

By DEVLIN BARRETT – 5 hours ago
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/media/ALeqM5gyHZNr7HKP86pCGuTy1_2xpS4ntg?size=m

In this Friday, May 24, 2002 file photo, Beverly Eckert, 50, of Stamford, Conn., holds a picture of her late husband Sean Rooney, 50, in Stamford, Ct. Eckert, one of the victims of Continental Flight 3407, was a Sept. 11 widow who lost her her husband Sean Rooney, her high school sweetheart, in the World Trade Center. (AP Photo/Douglas Healey, File)

WASHINGTON (AP) — Up until the very last moments of her life, Sept. 11 widow Beverly Eckert poured her grief into action — pushing presidents, lawmakers and even herself to do more to make the country safer.

Eckert was on a commuter plane approaching the Buffalo airport Thursday night when it nose-dived into the ground, killing all aboard and one person on the ground.

President Barack Obama, speaking in the White House's East Room Friday, said Eckert "was an inspiration to me and to so many others, and I pray that her family finds peace and comfort in the hard days ahead."

Just a week before her death, Eckert met with Obama at the White House as part of a group of 9/11 families and relatives of those killed in the bombing of the USS Cole, discussing how the new administration would handle terror suspects.

Eckert was traveling to Buffalo to celebrate what would have been her late husband Sean Rooney's 58th birthday.

Former 9/11 Commissioner Tim Roemer said her passing was "a profound loss for the country."

The grim circumstances of her death were hard to accept, particularly for those who lost loved ones in the 2001 terror attacks.

"The fact that it was a plane crash, it was fire, it was reminiscent of 9/11 that way, that's just very difficult," said Carol Ashley, a retired schoolteacher from Long Island whose daughter died at the World Trade Center.

The women met after the 2001 attacks, and became active together on 9/11 family issues. Eckert's husband — who was also her high school sweetheart — had been at work on the 98th floor of the south tower.

Eckert , 57, cried often when telling others about how her husband called her that morning from the burning building and said he loved her.

All of the women were grieving, but Eckert seemed unable or uninterested in holding back her tears.

She carried that grief to Congress as she advocated for better anti-terror efforts, part of a small group of widows, mothers, and children who played the roles of lobbyists.

She pushed for a 9/11 Commission. She pushed the Bush administration to provide more information to the commission. And when the commission's work was over, she pushed Congress to adopt their recommendations.

Together, they forced lawmakers in 2004 to pass sweeping reforms of the U.S. intelligence apparatus.

"I did all of this for Sean's memory, I did it for him," she said, crying once more. "There is a euphoria in knowing that we reached the top of the hill. ... I just wanted Sean to come home from work. Maybe now, someone else's Sean will get to come home."

For Eckert, the public role was not easy.

One night after a long day at Congress, she found herself stuck in the New York City, without a connecting train to her home in Stamford, Connecticut.

"We slept in the train station," she told The Associated Press in 2004. "We had no place else to go. That's when you look at yourself and say, 'What am I doing? How can we possibly get this done?'."

As Congress hemmed and hawed on the reform bill, Eckert said she'd sleep there, too, if necessary.

After the law passed, she turned her energies to Habitat for Humanity, helping build homes for low-income families.

Rep. Carolyn Maloney, one of Eckert's allies in Congress, called her "one of the most wonderful people I have ever known."

Hosted by Google
Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gg-YLC_ftKYyYuM9jEbsny3R9F9QD96AT3VO1). All rights reserved.

Nickdfresh
02-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Forty-nine others died, including the owner of the house. I'm looking for a passenger list to make sure I don't know anyone...:(

kwame k
02-13-2009, 08:26 PM
She pushed for a 9/11 Commission. She pushed the Bush administration to provide more information to the commission. And when the commission's work was over, she pushed Congress to adopt their recommendations.

Together, they forced lawmakers in 2004 to pass sweeping reforms of the U.S. intelligence apparatus.

Talk about channeling your grief into a productive outlet.........tons of respect for her.

One night after a long day at Congress, she found herself stuck in the New York City, without a connecting train to her home in Stamford, Connecticut.

"We slept in the train station," she told The Associated Press in 2004. "We had no place else to go. That's when you look at yourself and say, 'What am I doing? How can we possibly get this done?'."

As Congress hemmed and hawed on the reform bill, Eckert said she'd sleep there, too, if necessary.

After the law passed, she turned her energies to Habitat for Humanity, helping build homes for low-income families.

Jesus Christ, fucking lady had it going on...........this truly is a sad loss.....

kwame k
02-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Forty-nine others died, including the owner of the house. I'm looking for a passenger list to make sure I don't know anyone...:(

Hope you don't know anyone Nick.

FORD
02-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Sad story... with one Hell of an ironic twist. :(

Nickdfresh
02-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Hope you don't know anyone Nick.

So do I. Knowing two people (from my high school) that died in air tragedies/terrorism is enough...

As is seeing one of these things. The Blue Angels crashed in Niagara Falls in 1986 and I witnessed that...:umm:

kwame k
02-13-2009, 08:59 PM
So do I. Knowing two people (from my high school) that died in air tragedies/terrorism is enough...

As is seeing one of these things. The Blue Angels crashed in Niagara Falls in 1986 and I witnessed that...:umm:

Jesus, that's enough for one lifetime.....your quota is filled, hopefully.

GAR
02-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Was she one of those pain-in-the-ass 9/11 widows who kept picketing the White House and the Bush ranch in Crawford, TX?

kwame k
02-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Yeah, one of those Americans demanding accountable and justice for the victims of 9/11........isn't the fucking library closed yet si-gar.......watch out! I see a Mexican eying your job, as we speak......remember si-gar February is Black History Month (http://www.history.com/minisites/blackhistory/%20)

FORD
02-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Was she one of those pain-in-the-ass 9/11 widows who kept picketing the White House and the Bush ranch in Crawford, TX?

You dumbass racist piece of shit. The women (and men) who were picketing Chimpy at the pig farm in Crawford were the families of Americans killed in Iraq.

Nickdfresh
02-14-2009, 07:15 PM
You dumbass racist piece of shit. The women (and men) who were picketing Chimpy at the pig farm in Crawford were the families of Americans killed in Iraq.

He's just angry that a Mexican might steal his job (of picking up aluminum cans for deposit on the side of the road).

Baby's On Fire
02-15-2009, 08:45 PM

The Blue Angels crashing is not a tragedy. They were professionals tempting their skills vs fate. They accepted the risk and lost.

A bus load of children dying is a tragedy. Jason Becker is a tragedy, etc.

Don't denegrate real tragedies by throwing the word around like it's halloween candy.....puh-lease.

Nickdfresh
02-15-2009, 09:04 PM
The Blue Angels crashing is not a tragedy. They were professionals tempting their skills vs fate. They accepted the risk and lost.

Don't denegrate real tragedies by throwing the word around like it's halloween candy.....puh-lease.

Um what? WTF are you talking about?

I agree there are different severity and expectations in regards to "tragedies."

But that's like saying that car accidents aren't "tragedies" because anyone driving a car should expect the possibility of fatal accidents...

LoungeMachine
02-16-2009, 12:12 AM

Can anyone tell me the difference between Ann Coulter and GAR?

[besides Ann not posting from the library]

:gulp:

GAR
02-16-2009, 01:02 AM
Ann would say a busload of dead 9/11 widows is not a tragedy.

I would say a busload of deported illegal aliens without their anchor-babies going with them really is the tragedy. For the taxpayer primarily.

hideyoursheep
02-16-2009, 02:12 AM

So....

Randy Rhodes wasn't a tragedy.

Earnhardt wasn't.

A house near an airport when a plane lands on it-not a tragedy...the homeowners knew the dangers, right?

:rolleyes:

Turd.:dickhead:

LoungeMachine
02-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Consider the source....

Baby's on Fire himself is a tragedy.

:gulp:

Seshmeister
02-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Hades Flight in Buffalo.

Ok maybe too soon...

Nickdfresh
02-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Ann would say a busload of dead 9/11 widows is not a tragedy.

I would say a busload of deported illegal aliens without their anchor-babies going with them really is the tragedy. For the taxpayer primarily.

Why don't you just praise Osama Bin Laden? You have the same mindset and I'm sure you're both game for some Afghan "man-love Thursdays."

Sperm connoisseur...

LoungeMachine
02-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Hades Flight in Buffalo.

Ok maybe too soon...

*steps away from sesh so as not to be struck by the karmic backlash*