PDA

View Full Version : Hooray for a 2nd stimulus bill!

sadaist
02-17-2009, 08:25 PM
The ink isn't even dry on the first one and they're already covering their asses for when it doesn't work by laying the groundwork for a second bill.

"U.S. Sen. Dan Inouye (D) said Tuesday the federal government may have to jolt the economy with a second stimulus package." “That’s discussion item No. 1 now in Washington,” Inouye told reporters. “Some people are calling this bill the stimulus No. 1.”

"President Obama (D) has not ruled out a second stimulus package, his press secretary, Robert Gibbs, said on Tuesday, just before Mr. Obama signed his $787 billion recovery package into law with a statement that it would “set our economy on a firmer foundation.”

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2009/02/16/daily24.html?ana=from_rss
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/18/us/politics/18web-stim.html

swage33
02-17-2009, 08:49 PM
It serves hidden agendas that they be delivered under the auspices of "Stimulus". Keep your eyes and ears open...they are about to reveal themselves.

FORD
02-17-2009, 10:35 PM
It's been an established fact for years that the so-called "Red" states take a lot more federal dollars than they give back. So why are Repukes whining about this, when they'll probably benefit more than anyone?

If it were up to me, I wouldn't give a goddamn dime to any district where the congressman voted against the bill, and if both senators from that state voted no, the whole state loses out.

Fortunately for Sadie, California has one Democratic Senator (Boxer) and one DLC war profiteer who sometimes pretends to be a Democrat on domestic issues (Feinstein). Dunno where "Accoville Hollow" is, but I have a feeling its somewhere in the zipper of the Bible Belt.

Pink Spider
02-17-2009, 11:40 PM
It serves hidden agendas that they be delivered under the auspices of "Stimulus". Keep your eyes and ears open...they are about to reveal themselves.

Right now, the Democratic side of congress will pass anything that Obama wants them to. They don't even have to read it or know what's in it...it's passed. It was the same under Bush and it will be the same after Obama..

More clueless fuckwits who pretend to care, so they can achieve more power. It's also a pity that everywhere you go...there they are. We've cured diseases and have sent people to the moon and yet, we're still stuck with the same moron politicians..

These people can't even be bothered to read what they're voting on and anyone that says the economy is going to recover because of government intervention, is mostly delusional. These politicians can barely tie their own shoelaces.

Big Train
02-18-2009, 01:36 AM
What will the next stimulus focus on?

FORD
02-18-2009, 01:56 AM
They should wait a while for another stimulus. In between, they should start undoing the damage that's been done for the last 28 years. Starting with all the tax cuts for the rich since 1980. Then all the loopholes, and restore the inheritance tax.

As long as the BCE, the Rockefellers, etc. are allowed to perpetuate themselves through not paying taxes, they will continue to have too much power over the country. And since middle class tax payers paid for the "tax cuts" that went to those tax dodgers, they are literally stealing our money.

Time to take it back. In the case of the BCE, it should be every last penny, because they never earned any of it legitimately, that I know of.

Panamark
02-18-2009, 02:28 AM
Sharemarkets didnt bounce with this latest gigantic injection..
Bit of a worry... Our stimulus caused fuck all response from
the Oz sharemarkets too... All seems like the right thing to
do, but the bull has already bolted.... I cant ever remember
seeing the all ords as low as it is now... The retirees in Oz
that had all their superannuation and investments tied up in stocks
are screwed, I imagine its the same in the US...Without investor
confidence, we are just going into more debt to pay debt..
I ripped my money out when it had dropped 30% (rule of thumb
for me)... Thanking god now !!!

hideyoursheep
02-18-2009, 02:56 AM
They should wait a while for another stimulus. In between, they should start undoing the damage that's been done for the last 28 years. Starting with all the tax cuts for the rich since 1980. Then all the loopholes, and restore the inheritance tax.

As long as the BCE, the Rockefellers, etc. are allowed to perpetuate themselves through not paying taxes, they will continue to have too much power over the country. And since middle class tax payers paid for the "tax cuts" that went to those tax dodgers, they are literally stealing our money.

Time to take it back. In the case of the BCE, it should be every last penny, because they never earned any of it legitimately, that I know of.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xKGrAZTOS0k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xKGrAZTOS0k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

sadaist
02-18-2009, 03:25 AM
restore the inheritance tax....

......they are literally stealing our money.

What the fuck do you think the inheritance tax is? FUCK NO!

FORD
02-18-2009, 03:44 AM
What the fuck do you think the inheritance tax is? FUCK NO!

Unless you're Paris Hilton, how exactly would you be "hurt" by multi-generational billionaires paying what's fucking due from the fucking leeches?

Why are you defending the goddamned bloodsuckers, when Stevie Wonder could see what this reverse Robin Hood shit has done to this country?

sadaist
02-18-2009, 04:41 AM
Unless you're Paris Hilton, how exactly would you be "hurt" by multi-generational billionaires paying what's fucking due from the fucking leeches?

Why are you defending the goddamned bloodsuckers, when Stevie Wonder could see what this reverse Robin Hood shit has done to this country?

Just how much is due? And I'm against ANY Robbing Hoods. The government is the largest group of "goddamned bloodsuckers" there is...and they have the law behind them. If they don't, they just change the law.

From experience, and far from Paris Hilton type money. When my granddad passed in 2003, he had total assets (stocks, cash, property, vehicles) around $4 million. Split equally between my Mom & uncle after the lawyers, accountants & TAXES. All the grand kids gladly signed an agreement releasing any claims to the assets so that my Mom & Uncle could just split it 50/50. My grandpa worked from age 12 beginning in 1924. In the 50's he opened his first Buick dealership and by the late 1980's had a Chevrolet dealership and a Cadillac dealership...both built from the ground up, along with a leasing company & fleet sales. One of those old school, insane work ethic type guys that sadly our population seems to be lacking (I wish I had 1/2 of that type of grit). Anyways, I witnessed how Uncle Sam got a nice chunk, after a lifetime of receiving tons of taxes, they couldn't wait for him to die to grab anything else they could.

On the bright side, all the kids went to his house and were allowed to choose a couple of items before the lawyers got in there to take an inventory and raise the assessed values even higher. So everyone got to receive something of his that held sentimental importance to that individual.

My thoughts are that the assets someone has have already been taxed enough. There should not be a penalty/extra tax when they die so the government can have a last shot at it. If you believe that these people don't pay enough taxes, get it from them while they're alive. Remember, any money someone inherits is going to be taxed when they spend any of it, generate earnings with it, etc...

hideyoursheep
02-18-2009, 04:59 AM
What happened to the dealership after your Grandad passed, sadaist?

sadaist
02-18-2009, 06:05 AM
He actually sold both in 1991 or 1992 I think to Bob Baker. He owns several dealerships in San Diego. So he was retired. Grandma got Alzheimers, so she was his new full time job. Married for 60 years. Weird, but he went just 5 months after she did. Guess that happens a lot with long time couples.

Would have been cool to take over the place, but the infighting between the grandkids that probably would have happened, just as well he flat out sold the places.

ELVIS
02-18-2009, 08:52 AM
It's been an established fact for years that the so-called "Red" states take a lot more federal dollars than they give back. So why are Repukes whining about this, when they'll probably benefit more than anyone?

This is no red vs blue issue...

I don't know who is controlling Obama on the "stimulus" agenda, but he's getting himself into some seriously hot water, in my somewhat informed opinion...

And if he comes down with sudden death syndrome while in office, who will be his successor, Joe Biden or Michelle Obama ??

:biggrin::elvis:

LoungeMachine
02-18-2009, 09:20 AM
And if he comes down with sudden death syndrome while in office, who will be his successor, Joe Biden or Michelle Obama ??

That's somehow funny to you???

:(

WACF
02-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Just how much is due? ..............

......My thoughts are that the assets someone has have already been taxed enough. There should not be a penalty/extra tax when they die so the government can have a last shot at it. If you believe that these people don't pay enough taxes, get it from them while they're alive. Remember, any money someone inherits is going to be taxed when they spend any of it, generate earnings with it, etc...

Exactly.....

For some people...as unfortunate as a death is....is a hand up when a loved one leaves a nice amount of money/assets for their family to make their life better.

Why tax it twice?

Far better to close loopholes that are exploited by the very wealthy.

Everyone needs to pay their share...that should be the focus.

ELVIS
02-18-2009, 09:55 AM

Yes, because I was merely poking fun at the presidency...

There, that make you feel better ??

Here's another...:(

sadaist
02-18-2009, 11:06 AM

It was amusing to many when for months we heard about "Heart Attack" "Methuselah" McCain being just one quick heartbeat away from death. From the sounds of things back then, dude should have already kicked by now. The thought of him lasting 4 years was ridiculous.

WACF
02-18-2009, 11:16 AM
It was amusing to many when for months we heard about "Heart Attack" "Methuselah" McCain being just one quick heartbeat away from death. From the sounds of things back then, dude should have already kicked by now. The thought of him lasting 4 years was ridiculous.

Thing is...McCain was past his due date regardless.

It was very resonable to look at who the VP was for that very reason.

McCain may very well be around for the next election...but will his mind be?

FORD
02-18-2009, 12:06 PM
This is no red vs blue issue...

Repukes are trying to turn it into one, by obstructing anything the President attempts to address the issue. Perhaps you should call up Senator Diaper Head Vitter and remind him?

I don't know who is controlling Obama on the "stimulus" agenda, but he's getting himself into some seriously hot water, in my somewhat informed opinion...

The same was probably said about FDR back in the day, but the results spoke for themselves. I would prefer Obama's approach was more like Roosevelt's, but fuckin A, the man hasn't even been in office a month yet.

The Constitution.... live it. Learn it. Love it.

Nickdfresh
02-18-2009, 12:48 PM
The ink isn't even dry on the first one and they're already covering their asses for when it doesn't work by laying the groundwork for a second bill.

"U.S. Sen. Dan Inouye (D) said Tuesday the federal government may have to jolt the economy with a second stimulus package." “That’s discussion item No. 1 now in Washington,” Inouye told reporters. “Some people are calling this bill the stimulus No. 1.”

"President Obama (D) has not ruled out a second stimulus package, his press secretary, Robert Gibbs, said on Tuesday, just before Mr. Obama signed his $787 billion recovery package into law with a statement that it would “set our economy on a firmer foundation.”

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2009/02/16/daily24.html?ana=from_rss
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/18/us/politics/18web-stim.html

Shouldn't you actually wait for a second stimulus before you complain about what "Obama has not ruled out" which is a pretty fucking nebulous statement...

Nickdfresh
02-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Just how much is due? And I'm against ANY Robbing Hoods. The government is the largest group of "goddamned bloodsuckers" there is...and they have the law behind them. If they don't, they just change the law.

From experience, and far from Paris Hilton type money. When my granddad passed in 2003, he had total assets (stocks, cash, property, vehicles) around $4 million. Split equally between my Mom & uncle after the lawyers, accountants & TAXES. All the grand kids gladly signed an agreement releasing any claims to the assets so that my Mom & Uncle could just split it 50/50. My grandpa worked from age 12 beginning in 1924. In the 50's he opened his first Buick dealership and by the late 1980's had a Chevrolet dealership and a Cadillac dealership...both built from the ground up, along with a leasing company & fleet sales. One of those old school, insane work ethic type guys that sadly our population seems to be lacking (I wish I had 1/2 of that type of grit). Anyways, I witnessed how Uncle Sam got a nice chunk, after a lifetime of receiving tons of taxes, they couldn't wait for him to die to grab anything else they could.

On the bright side, all the kids went to his house and were allowed to choose a couple of items before the lawyers got in there to take an inventory and raise the assessed values even higher. So everyone got to receive something of his that held sentimental importance to that individual.

My thoughts are that the assets someone has have already been taxed enough. There should not be a penalty/extra tax when they die so the government can have a last shot at it. If you believe that these people don't pay enough taxes, get it from them while they're alive. Remember, any money someone inherits is going to be taxed when they spend any of it, generate earnings with it, etc...

I respect your grandfather's work ethic and all as well as his success in the car business, but you're not going to get too much sympathy from me over the estate tax which really only affects those in the top tier of earnings...

Your granddad also benefited substantially from lobbying the same gov't he has to pay taxes to, as if it were not for NADA and other dealership associations, manufacturers would have wiped out the US dealership system long ago and sold cars to consumers directly with their own networks of dealerships at lower prices, possibly thousand$ less per car by wiping out the middle man...

FORD
02-18-2009, 02:06 PM
It's not the people like Sadie's grandpa that are the issue though. It's the BCE, the Rockefellers, the Hiltons, etc.

If a dumbass like Chimpy Bush or Paris Hilton was born into any other family, they would be lucky to get a job flipping burgers at Mickey D's. While we could argue the ethics of car dealerships back and forth, it's at least a somewhat legitimate business. Not so much with funding Nazis, making steel with concentration camp labor, smuggling heroin, selling weapons to terrorists, and all the other shit that Prescott and his Hellspawn have pulled off for most of the last century. Jenna & Tonic, or Jeb's kids, or Marvin's kids, or Neil's kids should not have one goddamn dime of that illegally acquired money to live on, and pass down to another generation of criminal leeches.

ELVIS
02-18-2009, 02:32 PM
but fuckin A, the man hasn't even been in office a month yet.

Exactly...

And I think he needs to slow down a bit, listen to both sides of the dying bird as well as the American people...

And stop frightening the public with words like "catastrophe."

:elvis:

Redballjets88
02-18-2009, 02:45 PM
Repukes are trying to turn it into one, by obstructing anything the President attempts to address the issue. Perhaps you should call up Senator Diaper Head Vitter and remind him?

The same was probably said about FDR back in the day, but the results spoke for themselves. I would prefer Obama's approach was more like Roosevelt's, but fuckin A, the man hasn't even been in office a month yet.

The Constitution.... live it. Learn it. Love it.

The difference between FDR's situation and Obama's, though, is that in case the stimulus package(s) don't work Obama won't have a world war to instantly throw him out of the economic crisis.

No one knows how thing would have went after 1941, when FDR would have left office if not for the war.

Unemployment was lower at the beginning of FDR's tenure than it was in 1939.

But overall I won't disagree with the fact that he was a great leader and did everything in his power (and outside of his power in some cases) to try to pull America up.

sadaist
02-18-2009, 03:27 PM
McCain may very well be around for the next election...but will his mind be?

Hell man, I'm not so sure it's around now.

sadaist
02-18-2009, 03:35 PM
I respect your grandfather's work ethic and all as well as his success in the car business..

Your granddad also benefited substantially from lobbying the same gov't he has to pay taxes to, as if it were not for NADA and other dealership associations, manufacturers would have wiped out the US dealership system long ago and sold cars to consumers directly with their own networks of dealerships at lower prices, possibly thousand$ less per car by wiping out the middle man...

First, thanks. Me too. Second, I wish my conversations with him would have been somewhat deeper. I'd love 3-4 hours with him right now just to discuss and get his take on current situations. Not just him, but a lot of the old timers that are gone now. Think how cool it would be to talk to Reagan or Lincoln right now. So many conservatives like to say what they would do that it would be interesting to see if they're right. These men might just have a totally different take on things considering today's situation.

FORD
02-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Think how cool it would be to talk to Reagan or Lincoln right now. So many conservatives like to say what they would do that it would be interesting to see if they're right. These men might just have a totally different take on things considering today's situation.

Reagan (assuming he didn't have Alzheimers) would have to admit that "Reaganomics" was a total failure. And like many members of his own administration, probably would have disowned Chimpy's warmongering. After that, he would bitchslap his son Michael for that mindless bullshit rant about putting live grenades up the asses of Arab children.

As for Lincoln, he would take one look at all the bullshit coming out of the so-called Bible Belt, realize that he should have let the Confederacy go, and then he would immediately go to Ford's Theater and wait for someone to put him out of his misery again.

swage33
02-18-2009, 06:27 PM
If repukes call Obama chimpy.....is that racist? Just wondering here in the zipper of the bible belt. :biggrin:

Satan
02-18-2009, 06:49 PM
If repukes call Obama chimpy.....is that racist? Just wondering here in the zipper of the bible belt. :biggrin:

If you're in the zipper of the Bible Belt, then you are no doubt aware that racists have been known to characterize African Americans as "monkeys", so yeah, it's likely that anyone doing so would probably be doing it with a racist motivation.

Like the asshole who drew the cartoon in the Murdoch Post this morning, for example.

Baby's On Fire
02-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Reagan (assuming he didn't have Alzheimers) would have to admit that "Reaganomics" was a total failure. And like many members of his own administration, probably would have disowned Chimpy's warmongering. After that, he would bitchslap his son Michael for that mindless bullshit rant about putting live grenades up the asses of Arab children.

As for Lincoln, he would take one look at all the bullshit coming out of the so-called Bible Belt, realize that he should have let the Confederacy go, and then he would immediately go to Ford's Theater and wait for someone to put him out of his misery again.

Just an FYI FORD......Reagan is deceased. His Alzheimer's is no longer an issue. ;)

swage33
02-18-2009, 07:00 PM
If you're in the zipper of the Bible Belt, then you are no doubt aware that racists have been known to characterize African Americans as "monkeys", so yeah, it's likely that anyone doing so would probably be doing it with a racist motivation.

Like the asshole who drew the cartoon in the Murdoch Post this morning, for example.

Don't know about the Murdoch Post, but....is that you, Hyundai? I think you pretend to be Jesus but Satan as well is just, amazing. What if I wasn't a racist? Could I call Obama chimpy? How do I prove I'm not a racist?

LoungeMachine
02-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Just an FYI FORD......Reagan is deceased. ;)

How can you tell?

:gulp:

swage33
02-18-2009, 07:06 PM
How can you tell?

Things are shitty.

Satan
02-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Just an FYI FORD......Reagan is deceased. His Alzheimer's is no longer an issue. ;)

Actually, it is. Poor Ronnie doesn't even know he's in Hell half the time. :biggrin:

LoungeMachine
02-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Actually, it is. Poor Ronnie doesn't even know he's in Hell half the time. :biggrin:

After living with Nancy, I'm sure it's a nice change of scenery....

LoungeMachine
02-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Things are shitty.

Hey, it's WARHAM!!!

LMAO

swage33
02-18-2009, 07:48 PM
warham?????? I don't get it.

GAR
02-18-2009, 08:26 PM

HAHAHA~! "Sudden Incumbent Death Syndrome" I like it!

My gal asked me this morning watching ABC's Good Morning America "how long did you estimate this guy's gonna get shot"

I said, Well I was thinking within the year, but now I'm thinking more like half that! Obama's wrecking the future at breakneck speed..

swage33
02-18-2009, 08:28 PM
you got a girlfriend at 61? I am inspired.

LoungeMachine
02-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Blow up dolls speak now?

That's progress for ya....

GAR
02-18-2009, 08:37 PM
Blow up dolls speak now?

.. until you hop off your sugar daddy and pull that inflation valve outta his mouth, sure they do why not?

What a jealous detracting piece of shit you are.. she's not the best looker but neither am I, and you can find lots of uglies like us and more to date online if you'll just take the time to dress up and leave the garage but then again sunlight does tend to kill mold on contact.

We'd miss you so don't ever leave! Nothing risked, nothing gained.. it's a scary place out there in FirstLife..

LoungeMachine
02-18-2009, 08:45 PM

What a jealous detracting piece of shit you are.. .

:lol:

classic

LoungeMachine
02-18-2009, 08:46 PM
[QUOTE=GAR;1323586

and you can find lots of uglies like us and more to date online .[/QUOTE]

I don't doubt that.

Hate to burst your bubble, but I have my little hottie, already.

But thanks for taking one of those online uglies off the market....

I'm sure every single guy here thanks you.

sadaist
02-18-2009, 10:49 PM
But thanks for taking one of those online uglies off the market....

I'm sure every single guy here thanks you.

ROFL!:hee:

Warham
03-11-2009, 10:58 AM
warham?????? I don't get it.

I'm the biggest Reagan fan the Army's ever seen. For a couple months (weeks) a few years back, I had an avatar of cowboy Ronnie.

Seshmeister
03-11-2009, 11:05 AM
You must have been too young at the time to recognize alzheimers and the dangers of consulting astrologers to decide policy.

Warham
03-11-2009, 11:08 AM
You must have been too young at the time to recognize alzheimers and the dangers of consulting astrologers to decide policy.

Must have worked. He's the best President in the last fifty years.

GAR
03-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Fuck Reagan: If you're late 3 years filing for your income tax return, you don't get your refund. the govt keeps your deductions.

However, if you OWE taxes, over 3 years, they're on you forever.

That went into effect under Reagan.

Warham
03-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Fuck Reagan: If you're late 3 years filing for your income tax return, you don't get your refund. the govt keeps your deductions.

I don't know why anyone would wait three years to get money back from the government, other than being lazy.

Blame the taxpayer, not Reagan.

Seshmeister
03-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Must have worked. He's the best President in the last fifty years.

Revisionist history. At the time it was more like this

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PntMYkZPxCY&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PntMYkZPxCY&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Andy Taylor
03-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Think I've got this, probably the first season.

scamper
03-11-2009, 01:04 PM
but you're not going to get too much sympathy from me over the estate tax which really only affects those in the top tier of earnings...

Gotta love that "Fuck the other guy as long as it doesn't affect me" attitude. It's why we're in this mess now.

swage33
03-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Gotta love that "Fuck the other guy as long as it doesn't affect me" attitude. It's why we're in this mess now.

Isn't that what, "Tax the rich!", is all about?

Nitro Express
03-12-2009, 07:15 PM
The new word for bank robbery is stimulus now. So when you hold up a bank tell the people there you "This is a bank stimulation!"

sadaist
07-09-2009, 02:04 PM

And you guys thought I was being silly and just made a thread to slam Obama. Well, here is one of today's top stories. July 9, 2009. And I've heard many rumblings of this over the last two weeks or so. With all of the celebrity deaths dominating the news it has somewhat slipped by many people.

Warren Buffet Supports Second Stimulus for Economy - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8039651&page=1&cid=yahoo_pitchlist)

Warren Buffett Backs Second Stimulus

As debate grows about a possible second stimulus package for the flagging American economy, at least one legendary investor is giving the idea his guarded approval.

"I think that a second one may well be called for," Warren Buffett, the CEO of Berkshire Hathaway, told "Good Morning America" today. But, he added, "you hope it doesn't get watered down in many ways."

Buffett cautioned that a second stimulus package, like the first, won't be "a panacea," because stimulus packages take time to work. He criticized lawmakers' work on the first stimulus package, which contained $787 billion in spending.

"Our first stimulus bill ... was sort of like taking half a tablet of Viagra and having also a bunch of candy mixed in ... as if everybody was putting in enough for their own constituents," he said. "It doesn't have really quite the wall that might have been anticipated there."

Buffett also criticized the government's public-private investment plan, through which private investors are supposed to buy so-called toxic assets off the balance sheets of ailing banks that received billions in government aid.

"I do not like the idea of any kind of a plan involving the government where Wall Street makes a lot of money. My plan provided that they would make no money whatsoever, and the American public would make the money. I just think that Wall Street owes the American people one at this point," he said.

Nebraska native Buffett, known as the "Oracle of Omaha" for his long history of prescient stock picks, said that despite the talk of recent economic "green shoots," he couldn't predict when the flagging economy would bounce back.

"We are not in a freefall, but we are not in a recovery either," Buffett said. "We were in a freefall really in the last quarter of last year, starting in the financial markets and spreading to the economy, and we had this huge change in behavior. That change hasn't changed."

he U.S. unemployment rate, which currently stands at 9.5 percent, still "has a ways to go" before it peaks, he said. His own company, he said, had to lay off 500 people.

"We didn't want to do it, and if we saw things coming back we wouldn't do it," he said.

Buffett said he's never seen a recession affect consumers the way the current one has.

"I have never seen it quite happen like this, but what happened was in late September, the American public … saw money market funds break the buck. They saw commercial papers stop, they saw all kinds of things that they hadn't seen before," he said. "It was a shock to the system."

Still, Buffett remains optimistic.

"I want to emphasize, we are going to come out of this better than ever," he said. "I mean the best days of America, by far, lie ahead. But not next week or next month and then, I don't know exactly when we will come out, but we will come out big time."

Second Stimulus Debate Grows

Talk of a second stimulus has grown, as the economy shows limited signs of improvement.

"It looks like the economy is weaker than expected. Why not begin to think about over the next several months whether we need a stimulus package and what it should include," Laura D'Andrea Tyson, Obama's economic adviser said recently.

Some, including Nobel Prize-winning economist Paul Krugman, support the second stimulus idea, but Republicans doubt it will yield any results.

"All of this talk about a second stimulus bill has been rather interesting," House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, said Wednesday at a news conference with other House Republicans. "I think it's an admission on the part of the administration that their stimulus plan is not working."

Other stimulus critics say another recovery will only worsen the situation.

"Even though the president on the first of July had said that the stimulus bill had 'done its job,' my constituents see it differently," said Rep. Mike Pence, R-Ind. "The only thing the stimulus plan has stimulated is more government and more debt."

Obama hasn't said directly whether he would approve of a second stimulus plan, but he also hasn't rejected it altogether.

"The question that some have argued is, OK, what next? Maybe you stop the freefall, but you still have close to 10 percent unemployment, and, you know, this is something that we wrestle with constantly," Obama said in an interview with ABC News' Jake Tapper Tuesday. "The more that we can do to stimulate the economy in the short term, the challenge we've got as everybody knows is that we inherited a big deficit, and it is at a certain point potentially counterproductive if we're spending more money than we're having to borrow."

The president said supporters like Buffett have "legitimate concerns" about the economy, and hence his administration wants to make sure that "those pillars of long term economic growth get put in place."

sadaist
07-09-2009, 02:05 PM
What I don't get is how can there be talk of the need for a second stimulus bill when only 10&#37; of the first bill has actually been spent? Can anyone explain that in a way that actually makes sense?

Big Train
07-09-2009, 04:41 PM
It's not possible.

Nor is it possible to justify a second one, when clearly the first one was entirely misguided.

As Bufett gently and politely put it "You hope it doesn't get watered down", to the point of waste and ineffectiveness.

Ya know, like the first one.

letsrock
07-09-2009, 04:46 PM
They will pass whatever benefits themselves. And give the worker an extra dime.

Igosplut
07-09-2009, 05:02 PM
I didn't get anything from the last, and I bet I won't get anything this time either.....

ELVIS
07-09-2009, 06:17 PM

Bullshit, motherfucker!

You're such a fucking LIAR!

Tell me FORD...what is the number one state (no googling) for charitable giving ??

Nickdfresh
07-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Bullshit, motherfucker!

Tell me FORD...what is the number one state (no googling) for charitable giving ??

Way to stun him with facts!

ELVIS
07-09-2009, 06:41 PM
C'mon Dickforbreath! You know FORD when he's trying to sell something...he throws fact and logic out the window...

Nickdfresh
07-09-2009, 07:09 PM
C'mon Dickforbreath! You know FORD when he's trying to sell something...he throws fact and logic out the window...

I see the poopy bedpans were overflowing today. :)

standin
07-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Bullshit, motherfucker!

I always forget what color it is, but New York.

per capita, I don't have recent data.
Mississippi was 3rd for a while.
I'll have to research that data

But if anyone is interested....
Here is a study.....
Study on the Joys and Dilemmas of Wealth:
NOTICE: This survey link will become inactive at 11:59pm on July 15, 2009. Thank you to all those who participated in this important research project.

Center on Wealth and Philanthropy - Boston College (http://www.bc.edu/research/cwp/)

ELVIS
07-09-2009, 08:40 PM
It's Mississippi...the poorest state in the US...

standin
07-09-2009, 08:55 PM

I would have said something close to that too. And maybe per capita, my beloved Mississippi moved from 3rd to 1st in per capita charitable giving. However, Mississippi is listed at 47th.

New York is listed as the #1 charitable giving and that is logical that New York would be, due to the number of people. I noticed Georgia has moved up in rank in charitable giving, But these list are not stating the per capita and that is the measure. And I know the stats I used before did not include time/value in the percapita data (due, I speculate, to not being able to take time/value and list it on the IRS forms. {to my knowledge})

Redballjets88
07-09-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm tired of all of this spending and waste of taxes. Things like cap and trade and stimulus plans are pointless.

I'm fine with helping the environment, but now isn't the time. We are in debt up to our neck, entire states are going bankrupt, people are losing jobs, and what does the government do? They try to pass a gigantic bill that will fuck citizens over. The ice caps aren't going to be gone tomorrow, or even this year, why not wait until the recession is over before throwing away money and raising everyone's utility bills?

also, a second stimulus is utterly pointless. The way I see it congress should let the republicans have a shot at fixing it. The democrats fell on their face with Stimulus 1 so let the repubs try their little tax cut idea, and when that doesn't work actually work together for once and do something in the interest of America as a whole, not lobbyists, banks, and automobile companies.

sadaist
07-09-2009, 09:35 PM

Hmmmm, check this out.

Counties that supported Obama last year have reaped twice as much money per person from the administration's $787 billion economic stimulus package as those that voted for his Republican rival, Sen. John McCain, a USA TODAY analysis of government disclosure and accounting records shows.

"The reports show the 872 counties that supported Obama received about $69 per person, on average. The 2,234 that supported McCain received about $34."

"The imbalance didn't start with the stimulus. From 2005 through 2007, the counties that later voted for Obama collected about 50% more government aid than those that supported McCain, according to spending reports from the U.S. Census Bureau."

Cheers to USA Today: &#039;Billions In (Stimulus) Aid Go to Areas That Backed Obama in 08&#039; | NewsBusters.org (http://newsbusters.org/blogs/seton-motley/2009/07/09/cheers-usa-today-billions-stimulus-aid-go-areas-backed-obama-08)

Musings: Obama: Repaying the Voters? (http://amusinghistorymusings.blogspot.com/2009/07/obama-repaying-voters.html)

Politics Today: Obama in Italy, Dems Vs. CIA - Political Hotsheet - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/07/09/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry5146830.shtml)

Symptom of the Disease: Stimulus funds directed to Obama counties (4) | Radio Vice Online (http://radioviceonline.com/symptom-of-the-disease-stimulus-funds-directed-to-obama-counties-4/)

sadaist
07-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Maybe going to "red" states, but more precisely to "blue" counties within those states.

ELVIS
07-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Great facts, sadaist...

:elvis:

ELVIS
07-09-2009, 09:54 PM
50&#37; more with Obama Sin Laden...

Seshmeister
07-09-2009, 09:56 PM

It's often the case, same in the UK every time there is a telethon.

But do you mean it's #1 by total given, by capita or relative to income?

ELVIS
07-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Per Capita, I believe...

Seshmeister
07-09-2009, 10:01 PM
I get annoyed when I look at the shitty amount the rich give to charity. There are some exceptions but on the whole if you look at the Times rich list donations the top ones are usually about 2 or 3&#37; of their wealth. It's really fucking pathetic how little the super rich give back. In fact I don't even understand it on any level. It's like they don't realise that they won't live long enough to spend a fraction of it and that the more they pass on to their kids the more fucked up they will be.

I suppose the only explanation is that the kind of people that are so driven to get big money are no use at knowing what to do with it. There are some exceptions and for all his faults you have to give Gates credit on that.

Seshmeister
07-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Even if you were completely immoral you would think they would do it for the ego boost. For the oh thank you thank you thing. Most of them are a bunch of miserable fucking Mr Burns types.

Compared to governments its not that significant what they give one way or the other in the grand scheme of things but it is annoying.

Related to this is why do bankers get so much more money than people running top companies? Even now. Banks that are 'too big to fail' are effectively not in the private sector. They are not taking risks because the tax payer will bale them out so basically they are working for the government which means the taxpayer which means why should they get paid 10s of millions?

Better stop now or we'll all get a bit annoyed...

Big Train
07-09-2009, 11:54 PM
All good questions Sesh (can't believe I just typed that). What is an acceptable rule of thumb for giving for poor, middle class and rich as a &#37; of income? Solid 10%?

Blackflag
07-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Even if you were completely immoral you would think they would do it for the ego boost. For the oh thank you thank you thing. Most of them are a bunch of miserable fucking Mr Burns types.

Compared to governments its not that significant what they give one way or the other in the grand scheme of things but it is annoying.

I wonder what motivates thinking like this. I don't know what other people make, or how much they spend on charity... and I'm not sure how you do.

Regardless, why would I care? It doesn't interest me, and it's not my business.

Worry more about yourself, and less about the neighbor...

Seshmeister
07-10-2009, 06:20 AM
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/newgiving2008.pdf

ELVIS
07-10-2009, 06:25 AM
That's nearly impossible to view...

letsrock
07-10-2009, 08:54 AM
I didn't get anything from the last, and I bet I won't get anything this time either.....

You have to be a taxpayer, which means you need a job.
Get off your ass.

letsrock
07-10-2009, 08:55 AM
That was so poetic.

ELVIS
07-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Igo must have made pretty good money...

ELVIS
07-10-2009, 09:05 AM
And, he's not a big bank...

letsrock
07-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Just a fat turd.

hideyoursheep
07-11-2009, 06:58 AM
You have to be a taxpayer, which means you need a job.
Get off your ass.

Look who the fuck is typing!

How's about YOU get off YOUR ass and do some work for the people who pay YOU, instead of spamming all day?

Bonehead.

Tell me what the difference is between any bailout, and any money you CLAIM to make while posting all day, junior?

There isn't any. You get money for being a failure.

Yet you pretend to be interested in the topic of government waste.

:rolleyes:

:sign0090::handjob:

Dick milker.

Igosplut
07-11-2009, 08:53 PM
What a pathetic little old man you are John. I have to say I've enjoyed watching HYS spanking you like a frat-boy around the forums. Get a Job? You know nothing about me to even guess what I do for work. But lets just say I don't get the luxury of sitting on my lazy ass in a basement tapping out lame responses all night..

ELVIS
07-11-2009, 08:58 PM
That would be cool...uhh h uh uh uh uh uh hu huh uhuh uh uh