PDA

View Full Version : Inxs Sacks JD Fortune !

Panamark
02-18-2009, 10:51 PM
ROCKERS INXS have sacked JD Fortune, the lead singer they recruited through a US reality show, without any warning.

The singer, who was picked to front the group after winning the series Rockstar: INXS, said he was now broke and living in his car in native Canada after being dumped by the band at Hong Kong airport.

"They said, 'Thank you very much' ... I found myself really alone because I had travelled with these guys for 23 months,'' Fortune told Canada's Entertainment Tonight.

Fortune was the latest singer to join INXS, filling the enormous void left by the death of Michael Hutchence in a Sydney hotel in 1997.

A spokeswoman for the group said she could not comment on Fortune's sacking, as did band member Kirk Pengilly's fiancee Layne Beachley when contacted by Confidential

Panamark
02-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Linkage:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,28383,25076438-7484,00.html

Panamark
02-18-2009, 10:52 PM
Wonder why ? I thought he was pretty good.
Afterglow sounded like classic Inxs to my ears...

kwame k
02-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Honestly, loved Inxs but after the death of the lead singer.......the band should of stopped....some people you just can't replace.

Panamark
02-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Agree, or at least change the name out of respect....

bueno bob
02-18-2009, 11:54 PM
Whew. Didn't take long. Not surprised, certainly saw it coming, but I'd guessed at least a four year run before they moved on to lead singer, what, eight? Nine?

Any bets on how long it'll be before Arnie gets his walking papers from Journey?

Panamark
02-19-2009, 12:22 AM
Theres gotta be a story behind this,
broke, living in his car ? no severance payments ?
Where did his money go from the 23 months ?
Up his arms ??
Hmmmmmmmm

Dan
02-19-2009, 12:22 AM
Wonder why ? I thought he was pretty good.
Afterglow sounded like classic Inxs to my ears...

Yeah,WTF?

Maybe They Might Get John Farnham To Sing For Them?

jhale667
02-19-2009, 02:17 AM
Up his arms ??
Hmmmmmmmm

He does mention he thinks his sacking had something to do with his cocaine abuse...always astounds me when these guys get plucked from relative obscurity to a cushy gig with an established band, and proceed to develop huge drug habits and fuck things up for themselves...:umm: sad, but at the same time a little hard to feel sorry for them.

And yeah, one especially wonders where 23 months of salary went if he wasn't paying rent...

binnie
02-19-2009, 02:54 AM
They should never have called it INXS without Michael.

Mr Badguy
02-19-2009, 04:10 AM
Any bets on how long it'll be before Arnie gets his walking papers from Journey?

As soon as Steve Perry says so.:)

Although he doesn`t look the part, that guy can really sing.

Out of all the bands that had to replace bigtime singers, I think Arnie`s the best soundalike that can really cut it.

And that`s saying somehting when you`re singing a set of songs built for Perry`s pipes.

BITEYOASS
02-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Agree, or at least change the name out of respect....

Yeah, change it to "Just Right!" LOL

FORD
02-19-2009, 12:16 PM
I knew that wasn't going to last. Now the question is, will the Farris brothers leave well enough alone, or will they take the "hire some guy from a tribute band" route?

Too bad my friend Billy Z is no longer with us. His Hutchence impersonation at the karaoke bar was brilliant. I'd like to think he & Michael are somewhere laughing their asses off at this news.

twonabomber
02-19-2009, 03:11 PM
i never liked him. there were better people on the show that coulda got the gig.

last i heard he was working on a solo album. i said from day one that he was using the show as a stepping stone, and i was right.

indeedido
02-19-2009, 03:46 PM
As rick james said, "cocaine is a hell of a drug"

Mr. Vengeance
02-19-2009, 05:18 PM
As soon as Steve Perry says so.:)

Although he doesn`t look the part, that guy can really sing.

Out of all the bands that had to replace bigtime singers, I think Arnie`s the best soundalike that can really cut it.

And that`s saying somehting when you`re singing a set of songs built for Perry`s pipes.

Arnel can sing his ass off. Close your eyes and listen to both versions of Journey songs and it's tough to tell the difference.

twonabomber
02-19-2009, 05:22 PM
nah, Cain's keyboard sounds are all wrong. dead giveaway. :D

sadaist
02-20-2009, 03:48 AM
Up his arms ??
Hmmmmmmmm

I wonder how much he was actually paid. Since he was a noob to a big time band, they may have really pulled the wool over his eyes with all the financial stuff.

sadaist
02-20-2009, 03:49 AM
Arnel can sing his ass off. Close your eyes and listen to both versions of Journey songs and it's tough to tell the difference.

True, but it just doesn't feel quite right.

Panamark
02-23-2009, 12:44 AM
Ok this is getting weird, INXS are claiming they didnt dump him ???

Panamark
02-23-2009, 12:45 AM
INXS has hit back at claims they unceremoniously dumped their former singer JD Fortune from the band in the middle of a busy airport. INXS creative director and global business strategist, Chris Murphy, said yesterday the band was horrified by comments made by Fortune that he was dropped by the band at Hong Kong airport.

"Not only are we shocked by the claims, even the place the supposed incident was to have taken place is a mystery to the band," Murphy said.

The former lead singer of the band told Canada's Entertainment Tonight last week he was now broke and living in a car after losing his job with the band he had travelled with for 23 months.

"What annoys me the most after viewing Fortune's interview is the bloody slant he makes toward the founding band members," Murphy added.

"These guys are the nicest people on this planet, they are not the people he portrays."

Fortune was the latest singer to join INXS, filling the enormous void left by the death of Michael Hutchence in a Sydney hotel in 1997.

Murphy said the other band members - Andrew Farris, Jon Farris, Tim Farris, Kirk Pengilly and Garry Beers - had made it known to him that they had not ruled out seeing a return by Fortune.

"The band have always stated to me that Fortune's services could potentially be contracted again when INXS next tour.

"In fact he was next on my list to call regarding a very big recording project I am putting together for INXS at present.

"I guess I have no reason to call him now."

Murphy also heads Petrol records, who signed INXS last December.

Fortune, a Canadian who joined the band in 2005 after winning the Rockstar: INXS reality series, also said he abused cocaine while touring with the band.

He said although he had given it up, it partly motivated the band to sack him.

Panamark
02-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Linkage:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,28383,25092747-7484,00.html

Panamark
02-23-2009, 12:48 AM
So there's the two sides, hmmmmmm

A coked up hired gun out of contract ???
Seems the likely explanation to me.
Sounds like he might have shot himself in
the foot....

diamondsgirl
02-23-2009, 12:59 AM
He really fucked himself this time. Idiot.

Diamondjimi
02-23-2009, 01:50 AM
JD's a friend of a friend of mine. I'm sure I'll hear the 411 on this dilemma.
He's a pretty cool guy. Can't see him blowing this opportunity like this unless there's some truth to his claims.
Who knows ,maybe the leftover INXS dudes really are buncha goofs when it comes to business.

And hey ,it's Rock and Roll...:smiley-sniffer:what rock star doesn't toot some blow here and there.

The shit is everywhere in their environment!

Panamark
02-23-2009, 02:05 AM
G'day Diamond's G & J !

DJ if you know him personally, post what his side is
(off the record). I had connections to Kirk Pengilly
a few years ago, but I doubt I could just call him and
ask WTF happenend with JD ??

I still say Afterglow was the best song those dudes
have done since their peak....
And the vox was a huge part of that.
Pretty Vegas was also solid.....

JD sang the classics with feel too..
Theres gotta be more shit going down than
what we are being told ??

Maybe JD stole the Farriss brothers bag of blow ???

LoungeMachine
02-23-2009, 03:48 AM
3 sides to every story........

But sniping in the press about it rarely leads to another tour/album.

see also: Van Halen ca. 1984-2007

:gulp:

Diamondjimi
02-23-2009, 03:48 PM
G'day Diamond's G & J !

DJ if you know him personally, post what his side is
(off the record).

I don't know him personally. But I'll drop my Buddy a line and see if he's heard from him. ...

GAR
02-23-2009, 04:04 PM
what rock star doesn't toot some blow here and there.

very very few

Douglas T.
02-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Honestly, loved Inxs but after the death of the lead singer.......the band should of stopped....some people you just can't replace.

Yep! Same with Skynyrd!

I agree JD is a good performer!