PDA

View Full Version : Will the Recession Doom the Last Sunday Blue Laws?

kwame k
02-23-2009, 12:44 PM
handful of state legislatures have declared it's closing time for Sunday alcohol sales restrictions, saying an extra day of sales could give their foundering budgets a much-needed shot of revenue. Those states - Georgia, Connecticut, Texas, Alabama and Minnesota - enjoy overwhelming voter support for an extra day of sales, but face opposition from members of the Christian right, who say that selling on Sunday undermines safety and tears apart families. "During times of economic stress, our families are under enough pressure," says Jim Beck, the president of the Georgia Christian Coalition. "I don't think we need to add even more pressure to those families by passing this law."

But proponents of Sunday sales argue that state budgets are under plenty of pressure too and that by allowing people to buy beer, wine or liquor on Sunday at grocery or package stores, states could reap millions of dollars in tax revenue. Besides, as President Roosevelt learned in the 1930s when he successfully repealed Prohibition, drinks have a way of keeping hopes high when things look bleak. In Johnathan Alter's The Defining Moment: FDR's Hundred Days and the Triumph of Hope, the President recognized that legally-procured cocktails were the way to keep spirits high when Americans were trying to get used to putting their trust into the nation's crumbling banking system again. And, it could be argued, the sales also helped stimulate the economy in the middle of the Great Depression.

"[Sunday sales legislation] always comes bubbling up when the economy goes south," says David Laband, an Auburn University economics professor who authored Blue Laws: The History, Economics, and Politics of Sunday-Closing Laws. Blue laws, which restrict shopping of any kind on Sunday, date back to the colonial era, Laband says. However, those laws gradually died off as economic forces made some states realize that they could stand to gain by having stores open on Sunday. For example, the entry of women into the workforce in World War II made weekend shopping a necessity.

"Slowly and systematically we've seen these laws lifted in past century, even more so when there has been an economic downturn," Laband says. "States realize that consumers will migrate to a place where they can buy what they want. And whatever their reasons are for not wanting to sell on Sunday, these states realize they're paying a price for it in foregone tax revenues. So once the economy goes bad, then the cost of their policies are apparent to them."

Beck argues that when you're facing a budget shortfall in the billions, the extra revenue from an added day of alcohol sales is just a drop in the bucket. His opponents, however, insist it is significant. "At least it's a drop," says Georgia Senator Seth Harp, who introduced a bill proposing local referendums on Sunday sales. "Maybe it's even a cup full. But right now, I'd like to have a couple of cups full than nothing at all."

Three states - Georgia, Connecticut and Indiana - ban the sale of beer, wine and spirits, while 15 ban only liquor sales. Connecticut is considering repealing its ban because it has been losing revenue to New York, Massachusetts and Rhode Island, three neighboring states that repealed Sunday sales bans in 2003. Texas is also reconsidering Sunday sales bans of liquor, with three bills in the state's Senate, two of them specific to sales along the Texas-Mexico border. "States are seeing Sunday sales as a positive way to raise revenue without raising taxes or cutting valuable programs," says Ben Jenkins, spokesman for the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States. "That, along with consumer demand, is driving this change."

And though religious groups have sounded off about how Sunday sales are harmful to families, legislators such as Harp are reaching out to them by adding enforcement provisions designed to crack down on store owners who sell to minors. In a state like Georgia, where more than two-thirds of residents say they'd like to be able to buy a six pack on the sabbath, Harp's efforts may just win his bill votes, even though Governor Sonny Perdue, a teetotaler, said he'd veto any bill that came across his desk.

But Perdue won't be in office forever and anti-Sunday sales advocates across the nation may realize the tide is turning against them too. "People have got a lot of activities that occupy their time, attention and affection on Sunday and shopping is one of them," Laband says. "Churches have had to come to grips with that; they haven't drawn a line in the sand and said 'You have to go to church.' So the trend is clear that states will do away with some of these alcohol prohibitions. It will happen. It's just a matter of when."

Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090223/us_time/08599188034000)

BITEYOASS
02-23-2009, 12:48 PM
What a dumbass law! They'll just buy more booze on the other days of the week in order to stock up before Sunday. The Fundies have yet to further evolve.

kwame k
02-23-2009, 12:53 PM
This has to be the stupidest law known to man.........just like the overwhelming success of Prohibition!

FORD
02-23-2009, 01:12 PM
In some states, it's not a matter of religious fundamentalism. You can't buy booze on Sunday in the "godless" state of Washington either. Or even after 8 PM on Saturday night.

It's only sold in state run stores. The hard stuff, that is. Not the beer and wine, which you can get in any supermarket or convenience store.

sadaist
02-23-2009, 01:39 PM
I saw this on this news last night & couldn't believe some places have these laws. Reminds me of John Lithgow in Footloose. In CA they cut sales off at 2 am. That's actually screwed me a few times when we've woken up at 3 or 4 am to head out on a fishing or camping trip. Stop to fill up the gas tanks & grab a 6-pack of beer, but no luck. Doh! Dammit...can't believe we forgot! They start reselling at 6 am. If you fish, you should be on the lake before 6, not waiting to buy your beer.

Angel
02-23-2009, 01:41 PM
What a dumbass law! They'll just buy more booze on the other days of the week in order to stock up before Sunday. The Fundies have yet to further evolve.

Read it closer. What they want to do is END the current laws that don't allow booze on Sunday.

I'd have no problem with that - but then again I don't drink, and pot dealers don't take days off. :biggrin:

Redballjets88
02-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Those laws are weird. Texas is listed in that article, but I enjoyed some sunday bought beer yesterday.

LoungeMachine
02-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Who bought it for you?

:gulp:

BITEYOASS
02-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Make everything plant derived LEGAL! IMO

sadaist
02-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Make everything plant derived LEGAL! IMO

And bring back good old CANE SUGAR in my Coca Cola for Christs sake!

kwame k
02-23-2009, 02:59 PM

How about putting the coke back in the cola! :biggrin:

Redballjets88
02-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Who bought it for you?

My buddy did. No worries Lounge I'll be of age in a about 3 months, maybe I'll send you out some Texas beer.

Shiner is a gift from God.

www.shiner.com

I even provided a link. 100 year anniversary baby, its the prefered beer here. And not that light yellow shit either, all dark beer.

Redballjets88
02-23-2009, 04:14 PM

Ever had Dublin Dr. Pepper? It's Dr. Pepper made from cane sugar, it is damn good.

twonabomber
02-23-2009, 04:15 PM
i'm wondering where exactly this recession is hitting. i am still seeing plenty of big-ticket items in people's carts when i'm out doing my own shopping. sure, all those plasmas and PS3's may be howmuchamonthed out the ass on a credit card, but still...

LoungeMachine
02-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Shiner is not beer.

sadaist
02-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Ever had Dublin Dr. Pepper? It's Dr. Pepper made from cane sugar, it is damn good.

No, but I live close enough to Mexico that I get Mexican Coke whenever possible. They also still have it in the glass bottles. You don't realize what you are missing to you actually taste it with real sugar. Heck, when I was a kid my family went to Hawaii. We toured a sugar cane farm. Me, my brother & sisters were like Pandas gnawing on bamboo looking chunks of raw cane all day.....totally awesome. Natures candy.

sadaist
02-23-2009, 04:51 PM
maybe I'll send you out some Texas beer.

Include some Wolf Brand Chili with it.

LoungeMachine
02-23-2009, 04:56 PM
No, but I live close enough to Mexico that I get Mexican Coke whenever possible.

If it's not Bolivian or Columbian, why bother? ;)

kwame k
02-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Another fine thread that has went off the rails........Lounge, you better watch your ass! February is almost over and then I can have you de-modded and then I can ignore you and then I can ignore you but respond to every post you make and then I can.........

Redballjets88
02-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Shiner is not beer.

don't cry.

Redballjets88
02-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Include some Wolf Brand Chili with it.

I love the stuff, but it is pretty much alpo for people.

Redballjets88
02-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Shiner is not beer.

plus that statement is false, it is beer.

Nickdfresh
02-23-2009, 05:31 PM
EDITED

Dude, are you fucking mental or something?

Are we having a bad day? Because I know this is the Army were censorship sucks balls and belligerence is celebrated in all its forms. But if there is a line here, you're pretty close to over it...

Redballjets88
02-23-2009, 05:32 PM

Are we having a bad day? Because I know this is the Army were censorship sucks balls and belligerence is celebrated in all its forms. But if there is a line here, you're pretty close to over it...

i changed the post, but still stand by it.

LoungeMachine
02-23-2009, 05:33 PM
plus that statement is false, it is beer.

Shows what kind of taste you have.

Sampled many microw brews, and craft beers from around the world, Mr.19?

:lol:

Stick to what you know.

Living off mom and dad, and hotel work.

LoungeMachine
02-23-2009, 05:36 PM

Yes, he is mental.

He's a 20 year old who STILL lives off mom's teet, and Dad's rent.

Doubt he's been laid, or even out of the state of Texas.

Imagine being 19-20 years old, and in here posting, instead of trying move away from home, getting laid, and finding a career that doesn't involve room service or dishwashing.

Pathetic mooching loser.

Nickdfresh
02-23-2009, 05:36 PM

I'll ignore it for now, and "change my post," and consider this a very informal warning...

LoungeMachine
02-23-2009, 05:37 PM

Pussy.

How can you do both?

If you knew anything about "stranding by" something, you wouldn't have changed it, you pussy.

Come back when you've rented your own place.

Redballjets88
02-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Shows what kind of taste you have.

Sampled many microw brews, and craft beers from around the world, Mr.19?

Stick to what you know.

Living off mom and dad, and hotel work.

you nancy fag. Microbrewss are sthoooo good, yummm.

All of shiner beers are brewed in a small brewery in shiner, texas. Same forumla since 1909, brought straight from german and czech immigrants.

Like they say, don't knock it until you try it.

Alcoholic much?

Here is the plan, go drink a ton of your precious microbrew beer, get blackout drunk and get in to your car and wrap it around a tree. bring the dental records just in case.

LoungeMachine
02-23-2009, 05:42 PM
you nancy fag. .

Said the 20 year old living in his childhood bedroom while mom and dad pay his rent......

LoungeMachine
02-23-2009, 05:50 PM
All of shiner beers are brewed in a small brewery in shiner, texas. Same forumla since 1909, brought straight from german and czech immigrants.

Same can be said for Coors and Bud you moron.

Do you really think your 20 year old "hey can you buy me beer" ass knows ANYTHING about what makes a good Beer?

I've had Shiner. It tastes worse than your mom's ass. You know, the mom who still has to tell you to clean your room and take out the trash before dinner?

Arguing with someone as ignorant as you is pointless. Is there a SINGLE subject you can point to that you know more about than any of us here?

I mean besides the hotel service industry, and who can buy beer for minors, and how NOT to get laid?

To quote Ralphie May, I'm not sure if you're a punk ass bitch, or just a bitch ass punk.

:biggrin:

sadaist
02-23-2009, 06:14 PM
WTF! Instead of fighting over beer, we should be cracking one open.:beers8::fighting0030:

LoungeMachine
02-23-2009, 06:15 PM
WTF! Instead of fighting over beer, we should be cracking one open.:beers8::fighting0030:

I'm not fighting.

I'm laughing at the teenager who thinks he can school us on what make a good beer.

Nickdfresh
02-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Incidentally, you can't buy alcohol here on Sunday's before noon. NYS did however allow liquor stores to open on Sunday as long as they closed one other day a week which is pretty weak. I'm not sure but I think they changed it recently...

LoungeMachine
02-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Wasn't there a time when Taverns were closed on Election days, too?

If ever there was a day you NEEDED to drink.......

sadaist
02-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Speaking of stupid drinking laws, the age needs to be changed. If you can own a gun, be tried as an adult, smoke cigarettes, pay taxes, and go to war & die for this county...GODDAMMIT you should be able to buy a beer! Either all 18 or all 21.

Redballjets88
02-24-2009, 03:00 AM

Same can be said for Coors and Bud you moron.

Do you really think your 20 year old "hey can you buy me beer" ass knows ANYTHING about what makes a good Beer?

I've had Shiner. It tastes worse than your mom's ass. You know, the mom who still has to tell you to clean your room and take out the trash before dinner?

Arguing with someone as ignorant as you is pointless. Is there a SINGLE subject you can point to that you know more about than any of us here?

I mean besides the hotel service industry, and who can buy beer for minors, and how NOT to get laid?

To quote Ralphie May, I'm not sure if you're a punk ass bitch, or just a bitch ass punk.

Look I never start arguments with you, I post and contribute to the forum. Don't care what you have to say.

You often and always find my posts and automatically start some bullshit flame crap against me for no reason.

You have stopped saying anything that adds to a thread in the past month in order to cry about me.

Goddamnitt Lounge find something better to do with your 46 year old life and post something with meaning, get off the booze, stop smoking the pot, and find a decent job.

I still hope you die.

I had some Shiner tonight, and while I drank the amazing beer, that you are jealous that your home state could produce, I thought about how fucking much of a waste of life you are.

People like you are the reason I wish that Texas wouldn't have joined the Union in 1845 and just stayed a Republic. We would be sitting pretty while the rest of the U.S. is going to hell in a handbasket.

Once again please die so I can shit on your grave that no one will visit.

sadaist
02-24-2009, 03:05 AM
so I can shit on your grave that no one will visit.

If someone shits on Lounge's grave, was it ever actually visited?

See, now we are on to a logical thread. Ya know, tree falls in the woods & stuff.

FORD
02-24-2009, 03:11 AM

You're in San Diego and you can't find REAL Coca Cola? Shit, just drive across to TJ and pick up a few cases.

Or go to Costco. They probably have it there.

http://www.babilim.co.uk/blog/jpg/mexican_coke_at_costco.jpg

(Or check in the Jewish neighborhoods in another month or so. They have a limited "Kosher" release for Passover because grain based sweeteners are a big no no. Mexican stuff is probably still better though, because glass bottles are better than plastic.)

FORD
02-24-2009, 03:13 AM
Those laws are weird. Texas is listed in that article, but I enjoyed some sunday bought beer yesterday.

They still have "dry counties" in Texas, don't they?

Talk about fucked up alcohol laws.

sadaist
02-24-2009, 03:17 AM
Actually the small fast food Mexican restaurants have it a lot of the time. And there is no shortage of them around here. And plastic does make it taste worse. Maybe it's a mind trick, but I can tell the difference.

Never thought about the Jewish areas. There's a great deli & shop in La Mesa that makes the BEST sandwiches. Thanks for the excuse to make a trip over there :)

FORD
02-24-2009, 03:19 AM
I had some Shiner tonight, and while I drank the amazing beer, that you are jealous that your home state could produce, I thought about how fucking much of a waste of life you are.

As the author of FORD's Beercyclopedia, I can say with authority that you are absolutely fucking insane, if you actually believe that. Shiner may beat Bud or Coors, and I'll bet it beats Lone Star, but it cannot possibly measure up to a single product of any microbrewery in the Pacific Northwest. And I've tried them all. :gulp:

People like you are the reason I wish that Texas wouldn't have joined the Union in 1845 and just stayed a Republic. We would be sitting pretty while the rest of the U.S. is going to hell in a handbasket.

Not if Chimpy was still "pResident of Texas" in the 90's. You'd be begging the Mexicans to take you back.

sadaist
02-24-2009, 03:24 AM
, but it cannot possibly measure up to a single product of any microbrewery in the Pacific Northwest. And I've tried them all. :gulp:

I've tried many, but Bigfoot Ale is the worst thing I've ever tasted in my life. Barleywine ale. WTF?! Made in Chico, CA. 3 of us would go to liquor barn every weekend & each buy a weird 6-pack. We each had to drink 2 from each to be able to put the siding on the garage wall. Bigfoot never made it up. Between 3 of us, and a few friends there that tried to assist, we couldn't finish one.

FORD
02-24-2009, 03:36 AM
Bigfoot is some serious stuff. It's not a "put siding on the garage wall" sort of beer. More of a holiday "get drunk so you can deal with your asshole relatives" kind of beer. Thankfully Sierra Nevada has many other brews to choose from. I'd go with the IPA for the garage siding days. Just keep the cooler full. :beers8:

LoungeMachine
02-24-2009, 04:25 AM
Look I never start arguments , blah, blah, blah....

Move out of your parent's house, get a job that can pay the rent, finish school, get laid by a girl, and THEN you can tell us what's what.

Until then, you're an ignorant little pissant who doesn't know WTF you're even talking about.

You had to ask US what Obama's plan for Social Security was, because you were too DUMB AND LAZY to find out for yourself.

Until you move out on your own, and learn to pay your own way in society, you're nothing.

Idiot.

hideyoursheep
02-24-2009, 05:36 AM
If it's not Bolivian or Columbian, why bother? ;)

I'm sure it is...

:smiley-sniffer::confused11:

hideyoursheep
02-24-2009, 05:56 AM

Typical dumb fucking Texan...No wonder New Mexico demands you go through the sheep dip before crossing the state line.

A beer in Texas made from the same formula brought by German and Czech immigrants....since 1909 no less! :rolleyes: Stop giving credit to Texass for something they never did.

Dummy.

:lmao: Yeah, Texass would be so much better off it it hadn't joined the union...

There would be statues of Pancho Villa al over the goddamned place, you'd be habla'ing Espanol, and illegally crossing the border every day to get to work.

Idiot.
:fighting0056:

Nickdfresh
02-24-2009, 07:48 AM
Bigfoot is some serious stuff. It's not a "put siding on the garage wall" sort of beer. More of a holiday "get drunk so you can deal with your asshole relatives" kind of beer. Thankfully Sierra Nevada has many other brews to choose from. I'd go with the IPA for the garage siding days. Just keep the cooler full. :beers8:

Sierra Nevada is an excellent beer, especially the seasonal IPA as I prefer ales. But I've been burned out on it lately..

Redballjets88
02-24-2009, 02:19 PM
They still have "dry counties" in Texas, don't they?

Talk about fucked up alcohol laws.

Yeah but for the most part it is dry to liquor sales, most counties are repealing their alcohol sales laws. And restaurants have ways to have bars and sell beer and liquor.

Plus we still drink more beer than the rest of the nation combined

Redballjets88
02-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Typical dumb fucking Texan...No wonder New Mexico demands you go through the sheep dip before crossing the state line.

A beer in Texas made from the same formula brought by German and Czech immigrants....since 1909 no less! :rolleyes: Stop giving credit to Texass for something they never did.

Dummy.

:lmao: Yeah, Texass would be so much better off it it hadn't joined the union...

There would be statues of Pancho Villa al over the goddamned place, you'd be habla'ing Espanol, and illegally crossing the border every day to get to work.

Idiot.
:fighting0056:

Say what you want, but at least my state isn't dying because of the bad economy. Fuck the rustbelt. While you guys are losing thousands of jobs we are still creating jobs.

and Lounge, find some more fuel for you fire cocksucker. You got it all wrong, You don't know shit about me, I find it funny how you think you have it figured out, when actually you are totally wrong about everything you say.

Go take the bi-polar meds, some sleeping pills, and some microbrew, fall asleep and don't wake up. If not go get a job, see the light of day, and try to find someone to love you, other than the hooker down the street.

Satan
02-24-2009, 02:31 PM
So the BCE's adopted "home state" is the state that's suffering the least from the second BCE Great Depression?

Wow, there's a shock. :rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
02-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Plus we still drink more beer than the rest of the nation combined

Link?

Source?

Or more shit pulled out of your parent-mooching ass?

Grow up, punk.

Move out already. You're 20 for Christ's sake.

LoungeMachine
02-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Silly Beer Laws by U.S. State - From A - M

The Silly Beer Laws by U.S. State in the list below are, by no means, a complete list of laws governing beer or alcoholic beverages. They are merely a broad illustration of the range of regulations covered, from the ridiculous to the mundane.

Alabama
Cities and counties can choose to be "wet" or "dry" - 26 of 67 counties do not allow alcohol sales...A statewide ban on draft beer sales requires that cities and counties must take Legislative action to lift the ban in each jurisdiction. However, a section of the law allows draft beer "in rural communities with a predominantly foreign population. . . in accordance with the habit and customs of the people of any such rural community"...Twenty-three counties and cities have abolished the ban against Draft Beer in their districts...Likewise, Sunday alcohol sales are only allowed if a referendum has been passed...Ban on off-premises sale of alcohol on Sundays.

Alaska
In Fairbanks, AK, it is illegal to serve alcoholic beverages to moose.

Arizona
An obviously intoxicated person can only stay for 30 minutes at the establishment that recognized he was drunk.

Arkansas
Ban on off-premises sales of Alcohol on Sundays

California
It is illegal for producers of alcoholic beverages to list the names of retailers or restaurants that sell their products, whether it is in advertising or in newsletters...It is illegal to display alcoholic beverages within five feet of a cash register in a store that sells both alcohol and motor fuel...A server can be convicted of selling alcohol to a minor if the minor uses a false or altered ID to obtain the alcohol.

Colorado
It is illegal to ride a horse while under the influence...It is also illegal 1) for liquor stores to sell food and 2) for food stores to sell alcohol with an ABW greater than 3.2%. Beer with 3.2% ABW is called "low point beer." Beer with higher alcohol levels can be purchased in liquor stores...The sale of alcohol is prohibited on Election Day....Ban on off-premises sale of alcohol on Sundays.

Connecticut
Beer cannot be sold after 8 p.m...Pharmacists who use alcohol in compounding prescriptions must have a specific state license to do so.

Delaware
Allows parents, guardians, or legal age spouse to furnish alcohol to minors in the private home of any said family member for medical, religious, or educational purposes.

Florida
1965 Law requires containers to be one of four sizes: 8, 12, 24 or 32 ounces only, prohibiting craft brewers from packaging in 22 ounce "bombers", 750ml bottles, or any number of European style bottles.

Georgia
The 1935 Law prohibiting the sale of beer having more than 6% ABV was repealed in 2004…Bans off-premises sales of alcohol on Sundays.

Hawaii
Underage purchase of alcohol is prohibited except for law enforcement purposes…Underage consumption of alcohol is not explicitly prohibited.

Idaho
Possession of an unregistered, unlabeled keg is punishable by a maximum fine of $1,000 or prison for 6 months.

Illinois
A person commits a "social host offense" by renting a hotel or motel room for the purpose of or with the knowledge that such room be used for the consumption of alcoholic beverages by underage persons.

Indiana
It is illegal for liquor stores to sell milk or cold soft drinks. They can, however, sell soft drinks at room temperature….It is illegal to carry an alcoholic drink from the bar to a table - this can only be done by a waiter or waitress…Drinks "on the house" are illegal...Ban on off-premises sales of Alcohol on Sundays.

Iowa
In Ames, Iowa, it is still illegal for men to have 3 sips of beer while they are in bed with their wives...It is illegal to "run a tab" in Iowa.

Kansas
Ban on off-premises sales of Alcohol on Sundays…Underage consumption of alcohol is illegal except for cereal malt beverages (defined as any fermented but undistilled liquor brewed or made from malt or from a mixture of malt or malt substitute, but not including any such liquor which is more than 3.2 % ABW).

Kentucky
It is illegal to send a bottle of beer, wine, or spirits as a gift to anyone in Kentucky - this can result in a 5-year term in prison...Ban on off-premises sales of Alcohol on Sundays.

Louisiana
Underage possession of alcohol is illegal except when in a private residence, and furnished by a parent, guardian or legal aged spouse for one or more specified religious, educational, or medical purposes.

Maine
It is illegal to possess an unlabeled, unregistered keg - punishment is a maximum fine of $500 and/or time in prison. It is illegal to destroy the label on a keg, punishable by a maximum fine of $1,000 or 6 months in prison.

Maryland
Alcohol beverage writers must be certified as experts by a state agency in order to be eligible to receive product samples. The beverage writer can only receive three bottles per brand.

Massachusetts
In Woburn, MA, it is illegal to walk around with a beer in your hand.

Michigan
Prohibited to serve alcohol on Christmas Day, including at restaurants serving holiday buffets...Local laws exist too - one town prohibits brewpubs from selling beer-to-go...It is illegal for a minor (person under 21) to give an alcoholic beverage as a gift to anyone, even if they are of legal drinking age...It is illegal to allow restaurant diners to take an unfinished bottle of any alcoholic beverage home with them.

Minnesota
It is specifically NOT a crime to be inebriated in public...Ban on off-premises sales of Alcohol on Sundays.

Mississippi
A parent, guardian, or legal age spouse may furnish beer or wine to minors over the age of 18.

Missouri
In St. Louis, MO, it is illegal to sit on a street curb and drink beer from a bucket...It is illegal for any person under 21 to handle household trash with even one empty alcohol beverage container in it…In Natchez, MO, it is illegal to serve elephants beer or other alcoholic beverages.

Montana
It is illegal to destroy the label on a keg, punishable by a maximum fine of $500 or 6 months in prison…A parent or guardian can furnish alcohol to a minor in a non-intoxicating amount for one or more specified religious, educational, or medical purposes.

LoungeMachine
02-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Silly Beer Laws by U.S. State - From N - W

The Silly Beer Laws by U.S. State in the list below are, by no means, a complete list of laws governing beer or alcoholic beverages. They are merely a broad illustration of the range of regulations covered, from the ridiculous to the mundane.

Nebraska
It is illegal for a bar to sell beer unless it is simultaneously brewing a kettle of soup...Ban on off-premises sales of Alcohol on Sundays.

Nevada
Underage consumption of alcohol is not explicitly prohibited.

New Hampshire
You cannot be served an alcoholic drink unless you are sitting down.

New Jersey
If convicted of "Driving Under the Influence" (DUI), you lose the privilege of applying for personalized license plates for a period of three years.

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina
"Private Club Rule" applies - to sell liquor, an establishment must also sell a set percentage in food sales, unless they are a Private Club. To join a "private club," you must fill out an application and wait three days to pick up a club card. State regulated liquor stores are not permitted to advertise.

North Dakota
Beer and pretzels cannot be served at the same time in any bar or restaurant.

Ohio
It is illegal to get a fish drunk.

Oklahoma
Beer stronger than 3.2% must be purchased in state liquor stores...Ban on off-premises sales of Alcohol on Sundays.

Oregon
Underage purchase of alcohol is prohibited except for law enforcement purposes…Underage possession of alcohol is illegal except when in a private residence, and a parent or guardian is present or consents and it is for one or more specified religious, educational, or medical purposes.

Pennsylvania
Patrons must buy a case at a beer distributor...Six-packs must be purchased at a tavern - exception is the grocery store with eat-in café who has an E license...It is illegal to be intoxicated in public...It is illegal to have a previously opened container of any alcoholic beverage in your car...Parents or guardians cannot furnish an alcoholic beverage to their child under any circumstance, including within their private residence.

Rhode Island
Ban on off-premises sales of Alcohol on Sundays.

South Carolina
Private Club Rule - It is illegal to sell alcoholic beverages on a Sunday unless you are a Private Club.

South Dakota
Underage possession of alcohol is allowed for one or more specified religious, educational, or medical purposes.

Tennessee
Ban on off-premises sales of Alcohol on Sundays.

Texas
The Encyclopedia Brittanica is banned in Texas because it contains a recipe for making homebrew...In Lefors, TX, it is illegal to take more than three sips of beer while standing...In Houston, TX, it is illegal to purchase beer after midnight on Sunday, but it is legal to purchase beer anytime on Monday, including just after midnight on Sunday...It is illegal to sell less than 100 ml of alcohol in Texas, making it illegal to sell less than 2 mini-bottles (airplane-size) in one purchase...In McKinney, TX, you can be arrested for "intent to distribute in a dry city" if you are caught with anything over a case (24 pack)...Texas also has a "Private Club Rule" allowing members to legally drink alcoholic beverages in dry counties.

Utah
3.2% ABW (4% ABV) limit on draft beer, preventing craft brewers in the state from creating a full range of beer styles...To get an alcoholic beverage at a restaurant, you must either bring your own, or you must buy a "set-up" and have them pour it...However, you can buy beer at a gas station or convenience store...Ban on off-premises sales of Alcohol on Sundays.

Vermont
It is illegal to destroy the label on a keg, punishable by a maximum fine of $1000 or a prison sentence of 2 years.

Virginia
If an intoxicated driver is stopped in Virginia Beach, VA, for Driving Under the Influence (DUI), and you are a drunk passenger, you can also be charged with a DUI.

Washington
A grocery store licensee may sell malt liquor in containers no larger than five and one-half gallons.

West Virginia
It is illegal to furnish alcohol to minors except by relatives by blood or marriage.

Wisconsin
An underage person is prohibited from knowingly possessing an alcoholic beverage unless accompanied by his or her parent, guardian or spouse who has attained the legal drinking age.

Wyoming
Underage consumption of alcohol is not explicitly prohibited…Underage purchase of alcohol is illegal except for law enforcement purposes.

LoungeMachine
02-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Say what you want, but at least my state isn't dying because of the bad economy. Fuck the rustbelt. While you guys are losing thousands of jobs we are still creating jobs.

Your State, as if you contirbute anything to the economy other than comic book purchases.

You pay no mortgage, rent, or utilities. And next to no taxes.

and Lounge, find some more fuel for you fire cocksucker. You got it all wrong, You don't know shit about me, I find it funny how you think you have it figured out, when actually you are totally wrong about everything you say.

I only know what you've posted here.

You're 20, you live at home, work in a hotel, and know nothing about your own presiden't Social Security platform.

Go take the bi-polar meds, some sleeping pills, and some microbrew, fall asleep and don't wake up. If not go get a job, see the light of day, and try to find someone to love you, other than the hooker down the street.

I have a job. 2 in fact. Both in the music industry, one I own myself, and work from home at. We own our home, pay our taxes, and our oldest will be leaving for college in a couple of years. She wont need to live here until she's 20 mooching off of us.

My wife, who is also a musician, and 12 years younger than I, frowns on me bringing hookers home.

So you don't know shit, about shit, punk.

By the time I was your age, I had lived on my own 3 years, played in front of thousands of people, and was active in local politics.

You can't seem to get out of your bedroom at mom's house. At 20.

But you are fun to mock in here. No Child Left Behind

GAR
02-24-2009, 04:25 PM
If you didn't have a daughter, you probably wouldn't have any freinds at all!

LoungeMachine
02-24-2009, 04:30 PM
If you didn't have a daughter, you probably wouldn't have any freinds at all!

What does this even mean?

And you realize it is spelled "friends", right, GayR?

For someone who wishes to put me on ignore, you sure seem to respond to my every post.

And I actually have 2 daughters, and a son.

Which mean I know I have at least 4 more friends than you, LibraryBoy.

Shouldn't you be planning Jizzy's Memorial Service, mensa?

Satan
02-24-2009, 04:30 PM
So which grocery stores in Washington sell the 5 gallon buckets of Old English 800?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2OhkvcPlesc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2OhkvcPlesc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Seshmeister
02-24-2009, 06:31 PM
They're just jealous Lounge that they were never 'Hunk of the Month'... :)

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l237/ccbanana/KipWinger/MSKip3.jpg

LoungeMachine
02-24-2009, 06:40 PM
They're just jealous Lounge that they were never 'Hunk of the Month'... :)

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l237/ccbanana/KipWinger/MSKip3.jpg

asshole.

Redballjets88
02-24-2009, 10:40 PM
What does this even mean?

And you realize it is spelled "friends", right, GayR?

For someone who wishes to put me on ignore, you sure seem to respond to my every post.

And I actually have 2 daughters, and a son.

Which mean I know I have at least 4 more friends than you, LibraryBoy.

Shouldn't you be planning Jizzy's Memorial Service, mensa?

God I feel bad for your kids. Neglect due to the internet. Sad stuff Lounge.
Sucks to be them, a lot.

kwame k
02-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Let's see here.....as a bystander to yours and Lounge's verbal sparing.....or more like you spouting off and Lounge handing you your ass but I digress......you have basically told Lounge that you wish he was dead, he's now a lousy father and a neglectful parent.

Sure, he has ribbed you about knowing nothing, living at home and working in a hotel but........the shit you are saying is way the fuck out of line, Junior! We give as good as we get here in the Frontline but you have crossed a line and it's bullshit........

Fuck you and your "I'm a Lounge kiss ass" (preemptive strike here) because I can disagree with someone and not A. Wish they were dead. B. Attack their Family C. Even intimate that they are a neglectful or abusive parent.

You have no game junior and letting a poster on a message board rile you up to the point of wanting to kill/shit on his grave or even suggest that someone is a bad parent, based on the fact they hand you your ass when you post in a political forum is.......not only childish but repugnant.

Sure Lounge is a fucking asshole and an arrogant Liberal prick but no one needs to hear your little childish bullshit.

Debate the issues and points Melvin.

LoungeMachine
02-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Sucks to be them, a lot.

Straight A students.

All of them in music programs.

All of them play sports.

All of them much more mature, articulate, informed, and independent than YOU, and you're 4-6 years older than they are.

Nice try, punk.

The fact your parents haven't kicked your lazy ass out yet, is sad.

You need some growing up.

Redballjets88
02-24-2009, 11:26 PM
Yep go ahead and talk them up... as if half of that is true.

chefcraig
02-24-2009, 11:28 PM
Sucks to be them, a lot.

Let's see here.....as a bystander to yours and Lounge's verbal sparing.....or more like you spouting off and Lounge handing you your ass but I digress......you have basically told Lounge that you wish he was dead, he's now a lousy father and a neglectful parent...

In total honesty KK, I pretty much fell into the same sort of device that you did recently, and regret it. In total truth, it's none of our affair, and in my opinion should be left alone. Not only is this presumptive attitude to come down on Rbj88 unfair, yet ultimately proves little. The differences outlined between the two posters need no further commentary, and honestly, both can handle themselves accordingly.

It is their war, not our's. And really, when the ideas of either strike a chord when offered directly upon you or me, only then should we offer an interest.

Yeah, I've been wrong before. No, you do not wish to see my resume. http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-ashamed-smileys-721.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/)

kwame k
02-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Shit, wrong thread!

LoungeMachine
02-25-2009, 12:25 AM
Kwame knows my family. I think that's why he's more offended than I am.

I take no offense from Sadballjets.

To concern myself with the opinion of a 20 year old, who still lives at home, and has accomplished exactly ZERO in life thus far, would be silly.

His opnions on everything else lead me to believe he's not very well read, informed, plugged in, or even aware of how he comes across.

It's the old "hire a teenager while they still know everything" line.

Nothing YOU said about me, or my family is true, Sadballjets.

Because you KNOW nothing about us.

But I do know what you've posted here. And I feel confident in saying your opinion matters little, if any.

We're a happy bunch here. In fact, our kids are one of the few in their group of friends whose parents have stayed together. Most of their friends are single parent households, and step-families.

We're a musical bunch, who loves to travel.

I believe Kwame and craig both have seen the pics from the trip to Hawaii last year.

So you may feel free to wish for my death in here, Saddballjets. You can talk about hookers and pills all you want. Not very original, but then I dont expect much from you in the way of humor.

But the bottom line is this: You're 20, live at home, and feel the need to pass judgement on MY family? :lol:

That shit just cracks me up.

Back on topic:

You don't know shit about beer.

LoungeMachine
02-25-2009, 12:31 AM
In total honesty KK, I pretty much fell into the same sort of device that you did recently, and regret it. In total truth, it's none of our affair, and in my opinion should be left alone. Not only is this presumptive attitude to come down on Rbj88 unfair, yet ultimately proves little. The differences outlined between the two posters need no further commentary, and honestly, both can handle themselves accordingly.

It is their war, not our's. And really, when the ideas of either strike a chord when offered directly upon you or me, only then should we offer an interest.

Yeah, I've been wrong before. No, you do not wish to see my resume. http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-ashamed-smileys-721.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/)

I understand Kwame's points.

If another poster was literally wishing death upon you or him, I'd jump all over their shit too. It's reflective.

I appreciate kwame's motives and feelings, and actually feel a little sorry for RedBall.

It must SUCK being 20 and living at home. I cannot for the life of me imagine it. I couldn't wait to have my own pad. Banging chicks in cars gets old after a while. :D

Cheers, friend.

Redballjets88
02-25-2009, 01:04 AM
Kwame knows my family. I think that's why he's more offended than I am.

I take no offense from Sadballjets.

To concern myself with the opinion of a 20 year old, who still lives at home, and has accomplished exactly ZERO in life thus far, would be silly.

His opnions on everything else lead me to believe he's not very well read, informed, plugged in, or even aware of how he comes across.

It's the old "hire a teenager while they still know everything" line.

Nothing YOU said about me, or my family is true, Sadballjets.

Because you KNOW nothing about us.

But I do know what you've posted here. And I feel confident in saying your opinion matters little, if any.

We're a happy bunch here. In fact, our kids are one of the few in their group of friends whose parents have stayed together. Most of their friends are single parent households, and step-families.

We're a musical bunch, who loves to travel.

I believe Kwame and craig both have seen the pics from the trip to Hawaii last year.

So you may feel free to wish for my death in here, Saddballjets. You can talk about hookers and pills all you want. Not very original, but then I dont expect much from you in the way of humor.

But the bottom line is this: You're 20, live at home, and feel the need to pass judgement on MY family? :lol:

That shit just cracks me up.

Back on topic:

You don't know shit about beer.

Look guy, I don't even know how all this bullshit started, other than you took some extreme offense to my thread asking the extremely well informed members of this site their opinion on social security, and for the most part got a lot of good responses. You on the other hand took it as some sort of war proclamation and have been on my ass since then.

I took it as all good fun and just the usual fuck you youngster shtick I have heard since I have been posting here. But I guess for some reason it wasn't.
Your distaste for me has nothing to do with how informed I am, if I agreed with everything you said, but posted in the same exact manner I do now you would have no problem. It's the fact that I don't agree with you sometimes that irks you. And that is what you dwell on, none of the times that I have agreed with you have you mentioned anything.

Nowadays I can't go 3 posts without some random comment about me being said.

About your family and the death wish, I shouldn't have gotten that personal, you're right I don't know your family at all, but you don't know me at all. I don't bring anything up about myself. When you talk about where I live and my job, and my parents you really are way off point, just like I was off with you. I live in an apartment with 2 guys, and attend the University of North Texas. But why tell you that it doesn't really matter to me what your idea of me is, plus around the apartment it brings a few laughs when you rant about it. No worries.

Overall what I am saying is can't this all be set aside? Give some peace a chance, and maybe the two of us can go a day or two without keyboard yelling at one another?

lastly, I'm 20 I don't have the means for microbrews and beers from bayern or prague, I got what I got and it's good to me. I prefer the mj to the alcohol anyway.

Satan
02-25-2009, 01:07 AM
I'm 20 I don't have the means for microbrews and beers from bayern or prague, I got what I got and it's good to me. I prefer the mj to the alcohol anyway.

Hope it's not that Mexican dirt weed.

Redballjets88
02-25-2009, 01:09 AM
far from it, different variations of hydro, the occasional shwag because its too exspensive to spend 20-25$ on a gram.

kwame k
02-25-2009, 01:42 AM
Here's the rub,Junior......call someone an asshole, a stupid piece of shit, a fucking mindless fucking waste of ectoplasm....it's all good.......here's an example........Sadist(sorry if using you as an example offends) and I are at total opposites of the political spectrum but.....when the man shared info about his family........Nick, FORD, Lounge and myself didn't use that to attack, we gave a fucking sorry to hear about that and an honest thoughts and prayers, period. I may not agree with you and may not even like you but there is a line, albeit, in the sand that you don't cross.......Jesus Christ, you're posting in depth political responses on a fucking Dave Lee Roth forum........come on now, if you are really in college....learn context.

Redballjets88
02-25-2009, 01:50 AM
Here's the rub,Junior......call someone an asshole, a stupid piece of shit, a fucking mindless fucking waste of ectoplasm....it's all good.......here's an example........Sadist(sorry if using you as an example offends) and I are at total opposites of the political spectrum but.....when the man shared info about his family........Nick, FORD, Lounge and myself didn't use that to attack, we gave a fucking sorry to hear about that and an honest thoughts and prayers, period. I may not agree with you and may not even like you but there is a line, albeit, in the sand that you don't cross.......Jesus Christ, you're posting in depth political responses on a fucking Dave Lee Roth forum........come on now, if you are really in college....learn context.

I know context, and really if i wanted to I could post extremely well thought, and greatly informed posts, but really the only time I feel like doing the research and preparation is when I'm writing a paper. Like you said it's a david lee roth forum, I'm too lazy to care too much about my posts.

The reason I even post in frontline is that it is the most like anything I'm interested in. If there was a historical discussion area I would be there most the time, but there isn't and not much else here interests me. Coming to this site is habitual for me, I've been nearly conditioned to stop by here a couple times a day for the past 4 or 5 years. Plus having a lap top around makes it that much easier, I can be doing whatever and having the computer on.

kwame k
02-25-2009, 02:02 AM
So you admit that your responses are not researched or well thought out...........and you take offense when you're called out on said responses? So you have a problem with what? Being called out on your ill prepared and ill informed responses?

Nickdfresh
02-25-2009, 02:39 AM
Do you huh? Do you punk!

sadaist
02-25-2009, 03:21 AM
If there was a historical discussion area I would be there most the time

That's not a bad idea. I know Nick said he partakes in a WWII forum somewhere. Although there have been some pretty good guitar history and particular music history threads. Fuck, I say take the initiative and start a thread about a good topic. Just be prepared for it to go off subject a whole lot :)

hideyoursheep
02-25-2009, 04:59 AM

:lmao:

In the hotel industry, no doubt!

Don't forget to put the mints on the pillows.
:hee:

LoungeMachine
02-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Do you huh? Do you punk!

LMAO !!

Look, here's the deal with BlueBallJets.

He's a product of the Texas School System. He's literally spent the majority of his life with GW Bush as his Governor and/or President.

No wonder he's intellectually LAZY. He knows no other way.

His Social Security Thread was the prime example.

HAD he simply spent 5 MINUTES researching Obama's platform on the subject, and THEN started a thread pointing out what he liked, or didnt like, and sparked a debate on the subject, I would have been impressed.

But the punk couldn't be bothered. He wanted US to do his research for him.

And then to top it off, this 20 year old who has never lived away from home, never owned a home, small business, or even paid utilities, thinks he knows more than us. Cracks me up.

My 14 year old would never think to ask me that obama's SS plan was. She'd look it up, and then ask me what I think, and tell me what she thinks first.

When I read BlueBalljet's posts, I get worried for the next generation.

Too many of his ilk, and we're in for a shitstorm of trouble.

And for him to cast judgements on any of us who have owned small businesses, owned homes, raised kids, paid taxes, and actually volunteered in politcal campaigns, for hanging out on a message board for laughs, cracks me up too.

I will continue to bust his blueballs anytime he shows his stupidity in here.

LoungeMachine
02-25-2009, 11:07 AM
So you admit that your responses are not researched or well thought out...........and you take offense when you're called out on said responses? So you have a problem with what? Being called out on your ill prepared and ill informed responses?

touche.

LoungeMachine
02-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Look guy, I don't even know how all this bullshit started, other than you took some extreme offense to my thread asking the extremely well informed members of this site their opinion on social security, and for the most part got a lot of good responses. You on the other hand took it as some sort of war proclamation and have been on my ass since then.

Get over yourself, moron.

ALL I did was ask you in the thread why the fuck you didn't do the research yourself, instead of asking us.

Drama much?

LoungeMachine
02-25-2009, 11:36 AM
. I don't bring anything up about myself. .

Bullshit.

Do I really need to pull up the quotes?

You've posted about still living at home, working at a hotel, and going to strip clubs.

Don't rewrite history, dumbass.

EVERTHING I have posted about you, I have gotten directly from you

But you make shit up about me and my family.

All I did in THIS thread was point out Shiner is shitty beer, and that no 20 year old is going to school ME on what makes for a good brew.

Have you ever even BEEN to a brewery?? Ever been out of the country?

Ever been out of Texas?

I'm willing to bet you have tasted less than 20 different beers in your short life, yet think you know more than us. LMMFAO

You don't know shit about beer, dumbass.

LoungeMachine
02-25-2009, 11:38 AM
I know context, and really if i wanted to I could post extremely well thought, and greatly informed posts,

Sure you could.

But instead, you just prefer the ignorant, ill-informed posts/threads.

Easier for your lazy ass.

And you wonder why you catch flak in here? really?

FORD
02-25-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm willing to bet you have tasted less than 20 different beers in your short life, yet think you know more than us. LMMFAO

You don't know shit about beer, dumbass.

He really needs to spend some time with the Beercyclopedia (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10381).

sadaist
02-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Bullshit. no 20 year old is going to school ME on what makes for a good brew.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/sadaist/boxer-lol.jpg

sadaist
02-25-2009, 03:51 PM
I actually respect RBJ. Dude has been posting here since he was 16 years old. At 20 he shows more interest about current events than I and all of my friends did at that age. Hell, I know people my age that don't give a shit and haven't even watched the local news.

Nickdfresh
02-25-2009, 05:51 PM
I actually respect RBJ. Dude has been posting here since he was 16 years old. At 20 he shows more interest about current events than I and all of my friends did at that age. Hell, I know people my age that don't give a shit and haven't even watched the local news.

That's nice. But a lot of times he acts like a 'baby nuts' know-it-all...

LoungeMachine
02-25-2009, 06:03 PM

You need some new friends, then ;)

Interest? sure.

Knowledge? Nada.

Yet he thinks he knows everything.

And when called out on his bullshit, he wishes death on you and calls you a shitty parent.

I'll hold my respect for others, thank you very much. He deserves none.

ELVIS
02-25-2009, 10:38 PM
We don't have sunday blue balls here...

:elvis:

LoungeMachine
02-25-2009, 10:45 PM
:D

Good thing, too E.

FORD
02-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Hell it's New Orleans.... ain't everybody there drunk this week?

ELVIS
02-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Every week! Just more so during Mardi Gras...

Remember, we have drive through Daiquiri shops where you can have a 12 pack of beer or a bottle of vodka handed to you through a window like a burger joint, so...

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:2XHwibvEOn6pQM:http://www.rrikbeck.com/

:elvis:

hideyoursheep
02-26-2009, 03:10 AM
No wonder you guys talk funny and eat weird shit!

You're always either wasted or hungover!