PDA

View Full Version : So...The New President's First Address To Congress...Original Reactions?

chefcraig
02-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Yep, the thread title includes the words "Original Reactions". Rather than waiting to find a blog someplace to explain the thinking you may agree with, then cutting and pasting this as extant thought, I'm merely providing a forum for those that actually bothered to witness the program to provide commentary, minus some pre-formed and thus quotable (sub)text.

Well, duh. This was an address to Congress, and televised at that. The idea that this was more or less a pregame show on a sporting event has not left my cynical mindset in the least. I mean come on, what new administration is about to set a standard of measure, a mission statement if you will, of failure? Of course, this was an exercise in uplifting the spirit of the American people.

What was telling being the reaction of various segments, and by the very nature of who(m) reacted to them. There are large pockets of dissent within this Congress, proven simply enough by who got up off their chairs and who remained seated, reading their programs. Of course, Nancy Pelosi seemed to have some sort of spring attached to the vibrator set in her bunghole, which caused her to not only grin maniacally in some instances, yet proved to shoot her out of her chair every so often. (By the way Nancy, on a fashion note...I was most impressed with that Cub Scout tent you decided to wear. What, was the Army-Navy Surplus store low on cammo-green tablecloths?) Oddly enough, the batteries appeared to run low when it came to matters regarding teachers in this country, and education in general. (Then again, the President calling for a bill to be named after Warren Hatch and Ted Kennedy with regard to education was hardly an inspiring moment, not to mention somewhat awkward and ill-fitting).

The thing is, it is all rhetorical at this point. Every new administration makes bold proclamations. It makes for some riveting theater, and everyone pats each on the back in some bizarre spirit of fellowship. Terrific.

Get back to me in a few months, and let's see how this spirit continues into truly effectual action, or if it bogs down in the petty infighting that creates much heat, yet yields little light.

Redballjets88
02-24-2009, 10:55 PM
I thought he did a good job, the speech was good. We'll see how everything he plans work out, hopefully it works out well.

Wouldn't mind if we start to produce some of our own oil while pushing the alternatives at the same time.

sadaist
02-24-2009, 11:13 PM
I thought he did a good job, the speech was good. We'll see how everything he plans work out, hopefully it works out well.

Wouldn't mind if we start to produce some of our own oil while pushing the alternatives at the same time.

Agree. But his speeches are always very well done. I was kinda turned off by all the autograph seekers afterwords.

kwame k
02-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Agree. But his speeches are always very well done. I was kinda turned off by all the autograph seekers afterwords.

First the tie and now the groupies, you did actually watch the speech or did you just watch the red carpet pre-speech show.

jhale667
02-24-2009, 11:57 PM
I thought he did a great job. I was surprised at the LESS-partisan support and reactions. Seems like he's got a lot of support on both sides of the aisle.

chefcraig
02-24-2009, 11:57 PM

The speech itself had zero effect upon you in order to register an opinion, yet the crowd leaving the joint bothered you most of all. Nifty!

Next...http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-ashamed-smileys-721.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/)

kwame k
02-25-2009, 12:07 AM
I thought he did a great job. I was surprised at the LESS-partisan support and reactions. Seems like he's got a lot of support on both sides of the aisle.

More of an idealist speech but that's what this country needs. His outline is ambitious, we are in uncharted waters here, I just hope he can do half of what he proposes. The line about giving our troops a raise and honoring our commitment to them was spot on.

sadaist
02-25-2009, 12:11 AM
The speech itself had zero effect upon you in order to register an opinion, yet the crowd leaving the joint bothered you most of all. Nifty!

Next...http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-ashamed-smileys-721.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/)

Well let's see, his speech was just that...a speech. Some good things he discussed, but discussing them doesn't mean shit unless he actually pulls it off. I've discussed fucking Heather Thomas plenty of times. I did like that he primarily stayed away from the blame game with a few exceptions. I didn't like that he continued to talk about spending our way out of the crisis. I did like that he took Bill Clintons recent advice and concentrated more on "we will get through this" rather than how catastrophic it might become if we don't act. I didn't like that Obama was tardy...again. The one thing he's been consistent on since he entered office years ago. Other than that, I don't really have too much of an opinion on it. That will come down the road when he does something from it that he promised, or does something that he promised not to do. The speech is just a reference point. Actions speak louder.

jacksmar
02-25-2009, 07:08 AM
FBHO is a first class fucktard assclown. FBHO is a clueless novice. Even FBHO messes with Joe. FBHO is definitely a Van Hagar fan.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-25-2009, 10:11 AM

I agree, I was pleasantly surprised at the Republican reaction...

Now, of course that could merely be window dressing, then turn right around and go back to being dicks today, but it was nice to see last night....

Nickdfresh
02-25-2009, 10:17 AM
FBHO is a first class fucktard assclown. FBHO is a clueless novice. Even FBHO messes with Joe. FBHO is definitely a Van Hagar fan.

Thanks for that well-thought-out, in-depth analysis, Jacksoff...

FORD
02-25-2009, 03:29 PM
FBHO?? Is that some new cable channel or something? :confused:

jacksmar
02-25-2009, 06:01 PM
Note to FBHO, you unlettered First class fucktard assclown: a Frenchman invented the automobile.
Merci beaucoup you clueless ignorant commie lib!
FBHO

FORD
02-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Karl Benz was French? :confused:

LoungeMachine
02-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Karl Benz was French? :confused:

Yes.

He invented Le Car

:gulp:

LoungeMachine
02-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Cugnot built a steam powered vehicle....

Benz invented an internal combustion engine

FORD was the first to mass produce an automobile for the masses, hence BHO's point in his speech.

How funny, after 8 years of Bush, this is the worst they can come up with in a speech.

Angel
02-25-2009, 08:07 PM
What a nice change from having to listen GW fumble his way through things. Concerned about the "protectionism" speech but we'll see...

kwame k
02-25-2009, 08:27 PM
It's funny that these so called controversies are even given any shelf life.......Obama makes a wrong reference about being the first to invent a car......Bush, lies about the reasons to invade a country.......hmm, yup, Obama is way worse than Bush.....please!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rSjK2Oqrgic&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rSjK2Oqrgic&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

swage33
02-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Cugnot built a steam powered vehicle....

Benz invented an internal combustion engine

FORD was the first to mass produce an automobile for the masses, hence BHO's point in his speech.

How funny, after 8 years of Bush, this is the worst they can come up with in a speech.

I invented the automobile!....Henry ford is the devil!

LoungeMachine
02-25-2009, 09:54 PM

My mistake.

GAR
02-26-2009, 12:56 AM

Some fucker took away my Thanks button.. who did that?

So what if I abuse the goddamned thing.. Who did that shit? I'ts there to motherFUCKing abuse, and when I feel like dinging the shit out of it, who cares?

What's the damage charge, do I not get to zoink the Thanks button when I want to, or just some of the time?

Asshole!

Redballjets88
02-26-2009, 01:27 AM
http://stixblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/bailoutmascot.jpg

swage33
02-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Some fucker took away my Thanks button.. who did that?

So what if I abuse the goddamned thing.. Who did that shit? I'ts there to motherFUCKing abuse, and when I feel like dinging the shit out of it, who cares?

What's the damage charge, do I not get to zoink the Thanks button when I want to, or just some of the time?

Asshole!

Glad to see another "waterboy" fan. Love most of sandler's movies. The board may not acknowledge it but, I feel that thank you and I thank you sir.

hotdogtime
02-26-2009, 11:56 PM
Obama and his sweet-talking ways aren't going to change reality. To me, it was shocking to see all the standing ovations he got whenever he mentioned some new, big government spending program. We are so fucked. These are our representatives? They can't even balance a checkbook, judging by their reactions. The endless-money-spigot party is OVER. We can't afford what he wants to do, we shouldn't even be THINKING about doing what he wants to do, and the moral hazards created by all this government bailout mania is staggering. The sooner we realize this, as a nation, the sooner recovery can begin. It is time for Americans to start saving and producing again. That is what needs to happen. More government subsidies for... hell, you name it, is not going to solve anything. More easy credit to buy useless consumer goods, suvs, and McMansions is not going to solve anything. Isn't that how we got here in the first place? WE NEED THE GOV'T OUT OF OUR PERSONAL AND ECONOMIC LIVES!

Isn't that what rock and roll is all about?

sadaist
03-02-2009, 03:30 PM
The thread asked for "original reactions" yet my initial reaction wasn't good enough for a few. What's more original than pointing out something that struck me as strange just at the end of the speech? LMAO. Funny thing now is how many news outlets are picking up on the part of Obama's appearance that stood out for me as unusual too. You people can suck my balls.
:give-the-finger::flasher:

First the tie and now the groupies, you did actually watch the speech or did you just watch the red carpet pre-speech show.

"What the GOP Really Wants: Obama's Autograph"

Ever since he began his uphill battle for the Presidency two years ago, Barack Obama has been getting mobbed for photos and autographs, and that enthusiasm and passion has only grown since he entered the Oval Office. But even President Obama must be a little taken aback by the identity of some of his well-wishers on Capitol Hill of late. After his address to Congress last Tuesday, the same House Republicans who had decried his stimulus plan as the work of just another tax-and-spend liberal crowded around him like starstruck tween girls at a Jonas Brothers concert, all just to get his John Hancock on their copy of the speech.

Members of Congress have always gotten autographed photos of themselves with the President from bill signings and other events - keepsakes that are then prominently displayed in their offices. It is unusual, though, for representatives and senators to cross the aisle. None of the Democrats I spoke with had anything signed from President Bush - except for Connecticut Senator Joe Lieberman, who has five large framed photos of Bush in his office, which probably speaks more to his strained relationship with his own party than any Bush popularity. So why the crossover with Obama? "It reflects the fact that although their leadership is stuck in a negative mode, the Party of No, their membership is more open minded," says Rep. Zoe Lofgren, a California Democrat who had her copy signed so she could frame it and hang it in her offices. "It shows that his attempts to reach across the aisle are having some effect." (See pictures of the best Obama Inaugural merchandise.)

hat may be wishful thinking, though. It's possible that Republicans, no matter how much they may disagree with his politics, recognize the groundbreaking nature of Obama's Presidency, and would like to have a little piece of history. It's probably more likely, though, that members of Congress simply know Obama is still riding an incredible wave of popularity, something no politician has ever been above attaching himself to. (See pictures of Obama on Flickr.)

All the GOP autograph-seeking does beg the question, what exactly does a Republican member actually do with a signed copy of a popular Democratic President's address to Congress? Some Republicans say they got them for their kids, some for charity and others just wanted a collectors' item. "It's an honor just to be there, it is the President of the United States after all, no matter the party," says Rep. Tim Murphy, a Pennsylvania Republican who plans to give his speech to two students from a school in his district who'd visited him earlier in the week. But Murphy makes clear that getting an autograph simply helps get you a little more face time with the President.

"It's an important opportunity to get 10-20-30 seconds with the President. For me, I talked to him about health care, told him I wanted to work with him. Getting something signed gives you, perhaps, 10 more seconds." (Read "Town Overboard: A Conservative Gripe About Obamamania.")

Rep. Mike Turner, an Ohio Republican, rushed out after the speech to meet his two daughters, 14-year-old Caroline and Jessica, 17. When he won his seat in 2002 he started a project collecting autographs with the girls, in part to make up for being gone so often. Both girls have dozens of signatures from President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney. Two weeks ago they got former President Bill Clinton's signature at an event honoring Rep. John Dingell. And last Tuesday night, Murphy waited at the exit with his girls, clutching Obama photographs. Signing the paraphernalia Obama joked, as he often does, "I better not see it on eBay!" "The girls thought it was funny," says Murphy.

Since early in the primaries, Obama has insisted on autographing items only addressed to specific people. In fact, he got into an ugly scene in Philadelphia just before the Pennsylvania primary in April with an autograph hunter upset that Obama wouldn't just sign his John Hancock and nothing else. But Obama has good reason to be leery - he could restart the economy with a glut of signed paraphernalia. Items signed by him are selling for upwards of $1,900 on eBay and there are dozens of listings. So far none of the bound copies of his speeches have made it to eBay - though at least one member said he plans to donate his signed copy of the speech to a group that will likely sell it. "I did it a couple of years ago for the Marshall Chamber of Commerce and they auctioned off the copy signed by President Bush," said Louie Gohmert, a Republican from Texas. "I'll offer it to other chambers now. Once you write this, though, I'm a little worried I'm going to get inundated for requests!"

Not that getting Obama's autograph is going to make Rep. John Culberson, a Texas Republican, any more willing to vote for Obama's agenda. "No, it wouldn't have an effect," says Culberson, who got to the chamber at 8:30 in the morning to save an aisle seat in order to be the first in line to get his speech signed, a memento for his 12-year-old daughter. "This is a piece of history like the ones I have from President Bush and Vice President Cheney. And it doesn't hurt to have your constituents see you with the President."

What the GOP Really Wants: Obama's Autograph (http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090302/us_time/08599188249100;_ylt=AkBDBtrBztr5WcOXszgIf9oDW7oF)

Among many other stories

Obama's big speech tonight: You gonna watch? | PopWatch Blog | EW.com (http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/02/obama-preempt.html)
Bipartisan effort helps York mayor meet Obama - PennLive.com (http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1235709606324270.xml&coll=1)
Republicans find their bipartisanship side during President Barack Obama's congressional speech. (http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/opinion/theslant/blog/2009/02/the_speech.html)

Yep, suck my balls.:give-the-finger::flasher: