PDA

View Full Version : Byrd: Obama in power grab

Combat Ready
02-25-2009, 04:31 PM
By JOHN BRESNAHAN | 2/25/09 10:34 AM EST

Sen. Robert Byrd (D-W.Va.), the longest-serving Democratic senator, is criticizing President Obama’s appointment of White House “czars” to oversee federal policy, saying these executive positions amount to a power grab by the executive branch.

In a letter to Obama on Wednesday, Byrd complained about Obama’s decision to create White House offices on health reform, urban affairs policy, and energy and climate change. Byrd said such positions “can threaten the Constitutional system of checks and balances. At the worst, White House staff have taken direction and control of programmatic areas that are the statutory responsibility of Senate-confirmed officials.”

While it's rare for Byrd to criticize a president in his own party, Byrd is a stern constitutional scholar who has always stood up for the legislative branch in its role in checking the power of the White House. Byrd no longer holds the powerful Appropriations chairmanship, so his criticism does not carry as much weight these days. Byrd repeatedly clashed with the Bush administration over executive power, and it appears that he's not limiting his criticism to Republican administrations.
Byrd also wants Obama to limit claims of executive privilege while also ensuring that the White House czars don’t have authority over Cabinet officers confirmed by the Senate.

“As presidential assistants and advisers, these White House staffers are not accountable for their actions to the Congress, to cabinet officials, and to virtually anyone but the president,” Byrd wrote. “They rarely testify before congressional committees, and often shield the information and decision-making process behind the assertion of executive privilege. In too many instances, White House staff have been allowed to inhibit openness and transparency, and reduce accountability.”
The West Virginia Democrat on Wednesday asked Obama to “consider the following: that assertions of executive privilege will be made only by the president, or with the president’s specific approval; that senior White House personnel will be limited from exercising authority over any person, any program, and any funding within the statutory responsibility of a Senate-confirmed department or agency head; that the president will be responsible for resolving any disagreement between a Senate-confirmed agency or department head and White House staff; and that the lines of authority and responsibility in the administration will be transparent and open to the American public.”
Obama faces a decision as early as next week on whether to support a claim of executive privilege made by former President Bush in refusing to allow Karl Rove, the former deputy White House chief of staff, to be deposed by the House Judiciary Committee on the White House’s role in the 2006 firing of nine U.S. attorneys.

Bush claimed “absolute immunity” for top advisers in resisting such subpoenas, but Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.), chairman of the Judiciary Committee, filed a lawsuit over the issue. The case is on appeal, and the Obama administration is scheduled to file a motion next week laying out its stance on the issue.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0209/19303.html

swage33
02-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Here you see the true nature of power. ANY precedent will be accepted as norm by the successor. Morals, standards, principles go out the window. Will watch this closely...a virtuous man would set the "wrongs" right. A corrupt man will take advantage of precedent.

LoungeMachine
02-25-2009, 10:01 PM
...a virtuous man would set the "wrongs" right.

So The Bush Administration should be held accountable by The Obama Administration for any War Crimes, Crimes against The State, or any other wrongdoing?

Nice to have you on the record.

:gulp:

swage33
02-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Wrongs was in quotation. As long as you are recording....I like big butts and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny, I'll have a 12 inch club on white....provolone with that, a little mayo, lettuce and tomato. No, I don't want a fucking cookie...just the sandwich. Kids, don't drink and post.

FORD
02-25-2009, 10:14 PM
Here you see the true nature of power. ANY precedent will be accepted as norm by the successor. Morals, standards, principles go out the window. Will watch this closely...a virtuous man would set the "wrongs" right. A corrupt man will take advantage of precedent.

We need to get Sam & Al in here, Stat!

And no, I don't mean the Ched Rocker and Eddie's brother........

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/quantum-leap.jpg

....And so Dr. Beckett finds himself leaping from life to life; striving to put right what once went wrong. And hoping each time that his next leap, will be the leap back to the time before the BCE destroyed the middle class.

kwame k
02-25-2009, 10:15 PM
As long as you are recording....

I bet you Bush is wishing these weren't recorded..............

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VIXENG6wtC0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VIXENG6wtC0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Combat Ready
02-26-2009, 12:16 AM
I bet you Bush is wishing these weren't recorded..............

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VIXENG6wtC0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VIXENG6wtC0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Funny stuff K...But, what does that have to do with Byrd's assertion of an Obama administration power grab?

jhale667
02-26-2009, 12:25 AM
Sorry, but "Constitutional Scholar" and "Former Klansman"? Just does not compute. Byrd's a douche-nozzle who had to find some way to complain...

Combat Ready
02-26-2009, 12:32 AM
Sorry, but "Constitutional Scholar" and "Former Klansman"? Just does not compute. Byrd's a douche-nozzle who had to find some way to complain...

100&#37; agreed wack-job he is. It must be noted that he is the Democrats' senior Senator....Not Obama's opposition party by any means.

Andy Taylor
02-26-2009, 06:42 AM

I'd like to see if Obama will give up those powers that Bush grabbed for the presidentship. His staff have already said anyway that they're not concentrating on going after the Bush reich and their crimes. So I would imagine that the bonuses that Bush got will never be brought up, it's safely out of people's minds.

FORD
02-26-2009, 12:44 PM

I'll never excuse Byrd's past associations with racist shitbags, but he was one of the few voices in the Senate who stood up to Chimpy's abuses of power and constitution shredding for the last 8 years.

Hopefully his concerns about the new administration are consistent with the latter and not the former.

Combat Ready
02-26-2009, 01:09 PM
I'll never excuse Byrd's past associations with racist shitbags, but he was one of the few voices in the Senate who stood up to Chimpy's abuses of power and constitution shredding for the last 8 years.

Hopefully his concerns about the new administration are consistent with the latter and not the former.

Associations? He was/is the shitbag:

In 1948, Byrd opposed President Truman's initiative to integrate the Armed Forces - and he did so using the language of a very much active Klansman.

The powerful Senate Democrat vowed then that he would "never submit to fight beneath that banner (the American flag) with a Negro by my side. Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds."

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/827607/posts

Nickdfresh
02-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Byrd was in the Klan in like the 1930s. I think that part is irrelevant at this point...

And the above Freeper article also leaves out that most racist southerners (i.e Strom Thurman) became Republicans by the 1970s, something the GOP has relied on to elect their last three presidents...

Combat Ready
02-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Byrd was in the Klan in like the 1930s. I think that part is irrelevant at this point...

And the above Freeper article also leaves out that most racist southerners (i.e Strom Thurman) became Republicans by the 1970s, something the GOP has relied on to elect their last three presidents...

Agreed. Got a little side tracked there.

FORD
02-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Agreed. Got a little side tracked there.

That happens when you quote RimJob's Digital Trailer Park (a.k.a. Freak Republic) as a source.

There's more racist hatred on that website than at the Klan meetings Byrd attended 60 years ago.

Combat Ready
02-26-2009, 01:40 PM
There's more racist hatred on that website than at the Klan meetings Byrd attended 60 years ago.

I doubt that.....But--hey, I've never been to a Klan meeting.

FORD
02-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Neither have I, but it's pretty obvious what goes on there..... put on a sheet, yell a bunch of racist bullshit, set a cross on fire, plot a conspiracy to "save America from the Jews and the ni**ers."

Pretty simple agenda. For horribly simple minded people.

Andy Taylor
02-26-2009, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't say that. These guys go to great lengths to prove their theories right. They may be selective in what they believe but they do process and digest a good deal of data. I went through one or two websites don't recall which one. It wasn't David Dukes.

swage33
02-26-2009, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't say that. These guys go to great lengths to prove their theories right. They may be selective in what they believe but they do process and digest a good deal of data. I went through one or two websites don't recall which one. It wasn't David Dukes.

Dude, don't defend the ignorant. Accoville Hollow happens to be here in the stupid state of West Virginia....Byrd's homeland. Byrd has hung his name on every federal dollar that has come through here. The dummies here love him for it and re-elect him every time....rockefeller as well. The voters here are easily manipulated....they respond to fear, the bane of the ignorant. Though traditionally a democratic state, we voted Bush twice. Feared Gore would take away guns and thought Kerry was a rich guy.

Now, if occasionally, I offend some of you with my prick-y-ness, (made up word, please forgive), remember, I have to live here everyday, all the time. How about a little sympathy?

Andy Taylor
02-26-2009, 08:43 PM
They are pricks of enormous magnitude and I sympathize greatly.

I think they're dead wrong, but I think they should be allowed to say their piece. Free speech should be allowed, even bringing these guys on, on CNN et al, that's the only way to break down racial barriers, not by avoiding the issue. Being PC only makes things worse. Now a minority guy can't tell if his friend dislikes him on a certain level...