PDA

View Full Version : CPAC 2012 Straw Poll

LoungeMachine
02-26-2009, 01:41 PM
February 26, 2009
Conservatives begin voting on their 2012 favorite
Posted: 12:48 PM ET

From CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

John McCain finished fifth in the 2007 CPAC Straw Poll.

WASHINGTON (CNN) — One of the highlights of this year’s Conservative Political Action Conference will be the annual CPAC Straw Poll, in which conference attendees will vote on which politician should win the Republican presidential nomination in 2012. The results to be released on Saturday, but balloting at the conference has already begun.

So who’s on this year’s ballot? A host of GOP rising stars, each of whom represent a different path for the party.

Here are the choices: Florida Gov. Charlie Crist, former House speaker Newt Gingrich, former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, Texas Rep. Ron Paul, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, and “Undecided.” There’s also space on the ballot for a write-in-candidate.

The results, culled from the party’s most resolute activists, could go a long way in shoring up a presidential hopeful’s conservative resume, as was the case with Romney when he won the straw poll in 2007 in 2008. But the eventual Republican nominee – Sen. John McCain — finished fifth in the 2007 vote, and lost to Romney in 2008 as conservatives at the conference expressed frustration that the senate maverick was close to cinching up the nomination.

CPAC attendees will also be able to vote on their approval of President Obama and Republicans in Congress.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/02/26/conservatives-begin-voting-on-their-2012-favorite/

Combat Ready
02-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Ron Paul

FORD
02-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Piyush/Moosealini 2012!!!

Comedy Central could get an exclusive on the Repuke Convention coverage. :D

LoungeMachine
02-26-2009, 01:46 PM
I pray they run Jindahl.

:gulp:

Combat Ready
02-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Mittens? Now that's pretty fucking funny.

LoungeMachine
02-26-2009, 02:16 PM
He'll buy his way in [again]

Nickdfresh
02-26-2009, 03:12 PM
The Republicans are like a rudderless ship in search of the ghost of Reagan...

FORD
02-26-2009, 03:34 PM
It must kill the Repukes to know that the son of their false Messiah has a radio show on Air America. :D

http://cdn.airamerica.com/files/www/imagecache/show_branding/RR2.png

LoungeMachine
02-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Ron's show is great, too.

Perfect 3pm pick-me-up

Combat Ready
02-26-2009, 03:37 PM
The Republicans are like a rudderless ship in search of the ghost of Reagan...

Exactly right on. They pissed away their opportunity when they had the majority. They have lost all credibility to criticize dems for big government spending. As a result they are doubly fucked--democrat voters know they're full of shit...And Libertarians know it too.

I think the repubs have benefited from Libertarian minded voters more than the average person would believe. The chance to get these voters to "settle" for the lesser of two evils is gone.... Deservedly so.

swage33
02-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Sarah forgot to pay my taxes Palin? Every other Dude Obama has nominated for his cabinet has some sort of tax problem. No wonder Dems are for higher taxes....they don't pay them.......I gotta get a thanx on this one!

FORD
02-26-2009, 10:22 PM
But the question is WHY did Sarah forget to pay her taxes? Could it be because she and Todd are members of the "Alaskan Independence Party" and don't consider themselves Americans in the first place?

I could accuse Tom Daschle of any number of things, but being a secessionist isn't likely to be one of them.

LoungeMachine
02-27-2009, 03:04 AM
Sarah forgot to pay my taxes Palin? Every other Dude Obama has nominated for his cabinet has some sort of tax problem. No wonder Dems are for higher taxes....they don't pay them.......I gotta get a thanx on this one!

Not sure I get your point.

First, it was NOT "every other"

And how does the 2 that did, excuse Pailn?

Explain that, and I'll give you your thanks.

swage33
02-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Not sure I get your point.

First, it was NOT "every other"

And how does the 2 that did, excuse Pailn?

Explain that, and I'll give you your thanks.

C'mon, Lounge...you know how to bitch about things you don't dig...you dramatize and over play reality so dummies will believe you. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Now, gimme that thanx...I know you got it on ya!

sadaist
02-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Q: How do you get a Democrat to pay taxes?

A: Nominate them to a cabinet position.

sadaist
02-27-2009, 09:36 PM
C'mon, Lounge......you dramatize and over play reality so dummies will believe you. !

I thought it was "drummers" not "dummies" ;)

kwame k
02-27-2009, 09:45 PM
I thought it was "drummers" not "dummies" ;)

Watch it bitch!:mad0248:

sadaist
02-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Lolz!

hideyoursheep
02-28-2009, 01:41 AM
Q: How do you get a Democrat to pay taxes?

Cut his hours and vote for a Republican.:fufu:

:biggrin:

sadaist
02-28-2009, 07:13 PM
The Straw Poll Results:

20% - Romney
14% - Jindal
13% - Paul
13% - Palin

swage33
03-01-2009, 10:23 PM
It must kill the Repukes to know that the son of their false Messiah has a radio show on Air America. :D

http://cdn.airamerica.com/files/www/imagecache/show_branding/RR2.png

I wouldn't know...neither would anyone else...no one listens to "Air America".

FORD
03-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Well, that's actually more true now than ever before, as Ron is now Air America's "franchise player". They lost the last remnants of their original weekday lineup as of Friday when Thom Hartmann did his last show for the network.

Hartmann is now syndicated by Dial Global (formerly Jones Networks) which also syndicates Stephanie Miller, Ed Schultz, and Bill Press. Rumor is Randi Rhodes may be the next to sign with them.

Air America is a shell of its former self, but that was true even before they lost any of their broadcasting talent, because the right wingers and corporatists had infected the front office.

swage33
03-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Well, that's actually more true now than ever before, as Ron is now Air America's "franchise player". They lost the last remnants of their original weekday lineup as of Friday when Thom Hartmann did his last show for the network.

Hartmann is now syndicated by Dial Global (formerly Jones Networks) which also syndicates Stephanie Miller, Ed Schultz, and Bill Press. Rumor is Randi Rhodes may be the next to sign with them.

Air America is a shell of its former self, but that was true even before they lost any of their broadcasting talent, because the right wingers and corporatists had infected the front office.

Dude, honestly, working people llisten to talk radio....tax payers listen. Your core audience is at home, in poverty, waiting on the payoff for their vote. Those who are rich by dubious means listen, and fund this joke. Hence the "fairness doctrine".

FORD
03-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Working people and tax payers are exactly the kind of people who should be listening to Thom Hartmann and Mike Malloy, because they're the ones speaking the values of the common man. Not the shills for the top 1% like Mush & Hannity.

Listen to Hartmann's show tomorrow morning. Or noon, since you're on the east coast. You won't have any doubt what side he's on.

swage33
03-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Look, people who share your values have devoted their efforts to securing a dependant class of citizens. Your greatest supporters are those who suffer some guilt from their means of wealth. This is why your message fails to gain an audience. This is why your attempt to gain an audience fails. This is why conservative talk radio prospers in a free market. This is why the sources of your message want to restrict the free market. I'm not making this shit up.

FORD
03-01-2009, 11:02 PM
This is why conservative talk radio prospers in a free market. This is why the sources of your message want to restrict the free market. I'm not making this shit up.

The majority of radio stations in large and medium markets are controlled by a handful of right wing corporations. That, by very definition, is not a "free" market.

Mush Limpdick is on more radio stations than Thom Hartmann because right wing corporations benefit from the garbage Limpdick spews out.

Yet Hartmann beats Limbaugh in the ratings in markets where both shows air on the radio (live in the same time slot).

The problem is with media consolidation, not Limbaugh's paranoia about the Fairness Doctrine.

swage33
03-01-2009, 11:05 PM
ford, you forget these are businessmen...they want to make money, above all else. to use a metaphore, if they could get rich selling Fords, they wouldn't be selling chevys.

FORD
03-01-2009, 11:08 PM
But if the Chevy's had fucked up the country so bad that even their profit margins are in jeopardy, maybe they should consider what FORD has to offer? ;)

Redballjets88
03-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Ron Paul for sure.

Romney has no chance running against anyone, Jindal might have a decent shot running for president, Ron Paul his chances are slim but his message is better than anything the republicans are going for now.

Combat Ready
03-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Ron Paul for sure.

Romney has no chance running against anyone, Jindal might have a decent shot running for president, Ron Paul his chances are slim but his message is better than anything the republicans are going for now.

Jindal may have had a shot prior to last week...Not the case today.

Romney has the bucks to finance his own campaign if he chooses, so he will not be going away any time soon---although, I wish he would.

I agree that Paul's chances are slim--yet, he's the only one talking sense...On either side of the aisle. That probably rules him out.

Redballjets88
03-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Jindal may have lost some momentum last week, but I think a lot of people actually know who he is now.

Romney just needs to stay where he is and write a weight loss book.

FORD
03-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Ron Paul will never win the Repuke party nomination. Just like (sadly) Dennis Kucinich will never win the Democratic party nomination. At least not until the corporate media is destroyed.

Combat Ready
03-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Ron Paul will never win the Repuke party nomination. Just like (sadly) Dennis Kucinich will never win the Democratic party nomination. At least not until the corporate media is destroyed.

I hate to agree but you're correct. Paul's positions are a better fit for the Libertarian ticket anyway....I suppose.

I'm not a political fan of Kucinich, although I admire him for having a set of principles...He's not a sell out.

As for Paul--his core belief of limited government and freedom for the individual sets him apart from almost everybody in Washington. Wish there were more like him.....