PDA

View Full Version : 70s MiJ Strat copy got a new pup!

kentuckyklira
02-26-2009, 05:43 PM
So I decided to do some soldering today. I gave my beautiful (for those who were around in the 80s) Japanese Strat copy, probably form the late 70s, a new pick up. Itīs a Made in Germany OBL single coil sized humbucker. That would make this a very 80s kind of thing to have done to a guitar! I know it needs new strings but itīs almost midnight here and Iīm lazy again!

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb82/kentuckyklira/mayapink.jpg

GAR
02-26-2009, 06:18 PM
AWESOME! It's Hello Kitty pink!

I seen one in Council Bluffs for $90 bucks in the pawn shop, I'm headed back there to see if it's still around, just for the color.

I have a neck or two I could use on it! PINK is so faakin' gay that its too uncool not to have it in the weapons tray..

XLNT

GAR
02-26-2009, 06:19 PM
.. a Squier Hello Kitty pink strat, I should say. Not one of these, but the body on this looks fairly accurate to call a Strat instead of one a those wierded-out looptey Strats that kinda design "around" a Strat, but you look at it and it's kinda fucked-up, like the Ibanez Roadstar to name one of a few..

kentuckyklira
02-26-2009, 06:23 PM
AWESOME! It's Hello Kitty pink!

I seen one in Council Bluffs for $90 bucks in the pawn shop, I'm headed back there to see if it's still around, just for the color.

I have a neck or two I could use on it! PINK is so faakin' gay that its too uncool not to have it in the weapons tray..

XLNT

Those Mayas were made in the Matsumoku plant so qualitywise they´re a bit ahead of the "Hello Kitty" Squiers. Not that I wouldn´t grab a "Hello Kitty" Squier for $90 equivalent amount of Euros!

GAR
02-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Refresh my wikipedia browsal.. Matsumoku made what brands now? Fender Squire Japan or what?

That's a Strat enough for me to call it, i mean he's got the real thing right behind it for comparison! Grate copy!

GAR
02-26-2009, 06:27 PM
He's=you sorry haha it's yours

kentuckyklira
02-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Refresh my wikipedia browsal.. Matsumoku made what brands now? Fender Squire Japan or what?

That's a Strat enough for me to call it, i mean he's got the real thing right behind it for comparison! Grate copy!

The best known brand that used to be produced at Matsumoku was Aria (Aria Pro II etc.). Arias were produced there till the plant was destroyed in the 1995 earthquake.

GAR
02-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Ah the Kobe quake.. I remember that.

Arias are fine, I have an 85 Aria V guitar.. the black n white one..

sadaist
02-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Are the Arias similar to the Hondos that were everywhere in the early 80's? Strat copy for around $125 new if I remember correctly.

Hardrock69
02-26-2009, 08:50 PM
I had a Hondo explorer I got in a pawn shop for 90 bucks. Played the shit out of it for about 2 years. It was the only guitar I ever destroyed. And did not feel guilty about doing so, lol.

GAR
02-26-2009, 08:54 PM
I have a Hondo explorer neck n body somewhere, it's plywood.

Arias were always a third more than Hondo's - better wood, better setup and adjustments with better hardware and pickups.

I installed Gibson humbuckers and yanked the fake Jap DiMarzio copy's they sound like crap, but still better than most humbuckers of the period.

kentuckyklira
02-27-2009, 04:07 AM
Are the Arias similar to the Hondos that were everywhere in the early 80's? Strat copy for around $125 new if I remember correctly.

The Hondos were hit and miss, there were a few nice ones but most were crap. Arias from back in the day on the other hand were usually good, or even great instruments.

Diamondjimi
02-27-2009, 01:51 PM
I had a Hondo explorer I got in a pawn shop for 90 bucks. Played the shit out of it for about 2 years. It was the only guitar I ever destroyed. And did not feel guilty about doing so, lol.

Got a HOndo V back in the early 80's piece of hash. I wish I had kept the hash.:biggrin:

I ended up trading it to some dude for a Boss CE-3 chorus pedal that I've used of and on in my set up for ages.... (It finally gave up the ghost a week ago.... Ebay ,here I come!:biggrin:)