PDA

View Full Version : Schaller trem question

hotdogtime
02-27-2009, 12:07 AM
So I'm working on this 1990 charvel.

The trem is great, but one of the saddles (G string) is a titch higher than it should be. Any suggestions for leveling it? Is grinding the backside of it advisable? Maybe I should just pony up for a new saddle, but I kinda wanna fix it myself, being a man and all.

jhale667
02-27-2009, 01:06 AM
Replacement saddles are dirt cheap...unless you're just intent on being manly-man or something...

hotdogtime
02-27-2009, 09:17 AM
You're right of course. I was just wondering if anyone had tried the grinding route before. Gonna go order one today.

ELVIS
02-27-2009, 11:10 AM
I'd go ahead and grind it, but buy some new one's because in time they can break...

:elvis:

GAR
03-09-2009, 06:26 PM
I have boxes of these old OEM parts, and that's not a Schaller bridge it's made by Gotoh - if the string locks all look the same size below the string, yet the height looks like they're different.

Look at it real close, the trem plate should have the differing heights cast INTO the base plate! It's fucked-up, I know, but that's how they did it.

The original Floyd has string saddle blocks of differing heights. I would say you should either get creative with a file, a bench grinder, or just get a real Floyd.

If you've got machine fulcrum screws, you're going to have a time involving install of an original Floyd too I believe. The Gotoh spacing may be different and the screws are set into threaded bushings driven into the body.

I would just pull the bushings, cut some doweling, glue and redrill all over new for a Floyd if you like the guitar and want to play and keep it.

GAR
03-09-2009, 06:28 PM
I may have complete sets of these old parts, post some closeup pics of your bridge and I'll tell you if they'll help.