PDA

View Full Version : Ed McMahon hospitalized...

Diamondjimi
02-27-2009, 07:59 PM
Former Johnny Carson sidekick Ed McMahon hospitalized in Los Angeles
Fri Feb 27, 4:50 PM
http://d.yimg.com/bg/p/090227/capress/i123577140012710108011.jpg?x=180&y=235&sig=GSFie39lurlAGZXcum8hOQ--

By Lynn Elber, The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - Ed McMahon, former sidekick to Johnny Carson on "Tonight" and a familiar TV commercial pitchman, was hospitalized in intensive care, a spokesman said Friday.

McMahon, 85, was suffering from pneumonia and other ailments and had been in the hospital for several weeks, spokesman Howard Bragman said. He declined to identify the Los Angeles facility or the other illnesses.

"It's serious," Bragman said when asked about McMahon's condition, noting his age. But, Bragman added: "We're hopeful."

McMahon's wife and family are with him and appreciate the public expressions of concern, the spokesman said.

McMahon had broken his neck in a fall in 2007. He faced foreclosure on his home last year because he said the injury left him unable to work, but a deal was announced last December that would allow him to stay in the house.

McMahon was Carson's announcer and second banana on "Tonight" from 1962 until Carson's retirement in 1992, introducing him with a resounding "H-e-e-e-e-e-ere's Johnny!" and bolstering the host with hearty laughs. (Carson died in 2005.)

McMahon also appeared in commercials for American Family Publishers' sweepstakes and had supporting roles in movies including "Fun with Dick and Jane" (1977) and "Just Write" (1997) and in TV shows including the 1997 WB sitcom "The Tom Show" with Tom Arnold.

ELVIS
02-27-2009, 08:00 PM
And I thought he was gonna be Conan's new sidekick...

:biggrin:

Diamondjimi
02-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Yeah,.... "Heeeeeeere's Caaaaaugh...."

FORD
02-27-2009, 09:27 PM
I didn't think he looked too healthy in that commercial he did for the Super Bowl. Motherfucker never gave me that check for $10 million that he promised me either.

FORD
02-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Just heard on the radio that he has bone cancer. That would make the pneumonia a likely side effect of a compromised immune system, and that being the case, I'd wager that Ed's going to be Johnny Carson's sidekick again really soon. :(

Julius
02-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Time to watch to old Carson's Classics DVDs and reminisce of a time long ago when the Tonight Show was funny.

WARF
02-28-2009, 09:20 AM
I had no idea Ed McMahon was still alive, until I saw this thread.

Susie Q
03-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Just heard on the radio that he has bone cancer. That would make the pneumonia a likely side effect of a compromised immune system, and that being the case, I'd wager that Ed's going to be Johnny Carson's sidekick again really soon. :(

He's won't celebrate the fourth of July.

Nitro Express
03-13-2009, 02:35 PM
His trophy wife spend all his money. Might as well kick it because all he has left is a miserable life here. When life sucks, shoot yourself in the head and have your remains loaded into a fire work shell. If I end up as a pennyless old fuck, I'm going out just like Hunter S. Thompson because I'm a crazy fuck as well.