PDA

View Full Version : Who's watching the Watchmen

Ally_Kat
03-05-2009, 08:33 PM
I know I can't be the only one ;)

chefcraig
03-05-2009, 08:42 PM
+1. I've been avoiding the spoiler features online and in magazines (How much can be truly be spoiled, if you've read the novel a dozen or so times? http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-confused-smileys-718.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Sexy-Smileys/)), yet there are some significant changes made to the storyline. Fingers crossed and cautiously optimistic...the same way I view the new Presidential administration. http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-scared-smileys-468.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/)

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/315/watchmena.jpg (http://img24.imageshack.us/my.php?image=watchmena.jpg)

Golden AWe
03-06-2009, 06:22 PM
I saw it in the premiere. I have had plans to read the comic for 15 years now, but haven't managed.

Didn't spoil the fun.

WATCHMEN is a great, sad movie about the lethal nature of the human beings. This movie combined detective story, comics, hreat graphics, raw uncensored action, politically incorrect stuff and superhero parody in the same package. But as I said, it's a sad movie.

Plus the movie uses classic rock very well, Hendrix, Simon and Garfunkel, Leonard Cohen etc...

I give it five stars.

Plus the women are very hot.

http://z.about.com/d/movies/1/0/o/n/R/comicconwatchmenpic5.jpg

Golden AWe
03-06-2009, 06:26 PM
yet there are some significant changes made to the storyline.

I think the main differences are only related to the length. There are not so many philosophical, longs scenes, deepening the characters, like there are in the comics...but still enough to carry the different characters.

Plus there will be a longer version to be released next summer, director's cut DVD.

Ally_Kat
03-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Plus the movie uses classic rock very well, Hendrix, Simon and Garfunkel, Leonard Cohen etc...

I think my favorite part was how they used the music. Had me cracking up a few times.

I really enjoyed this movie. I'm a girl and we're known to get sentimental and emotional. There were a couple of parts that really hit me. There was a huge human element to the characters.

It also had a great feel. This is going to be hard to explain, but I didn't feel like I was watching a movie. I felt like I was within a comic book.

Figs
03-06-2009, 10:40 PM
It got 65% on rotten tomatoes, not bad, it looks pretty good, I will probably catch it next week......

Seshmeister
03-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Hmm not very good reviews from the people I trust and it's very long...

Terry
03-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Saw it today.

It remained very true to the source material. Yes, some parts of the comics didn't make it onto the big screen, but enough of it did...a lot of the scenes were basically frame-for-frame with the comics vs. movie.

A few minor tweaks, but nothing substantial.

It'd be safe to say if one enjoyed the original graphic comic series, they'd enjoy the movie. I could see if one had never read the comics where problems could arise in following the plot at times, since it jumps around quite a bit in terms of flashbacks, flashforwards and elements of the true historical past altered for the comic reality (i.e. Nixon having been elected as Pres 5 times).

Think it was a very good job, overall. An ambitious undertaking. It is a bit long, but if a movie is good to excellent a long run time isn't a negative, IMO.

Vinnie Velvet
03-11-2009, 09:29 AM
I heard it sucked ass.

Then again, I never read the comic book and never will.

Its funny, I remember reading Frank Miller's 'The Dark Knight' Batman series in around 1987, but I never heard of the Watchmen.

And they say this is the most celebrated, greatest graphic novel ever?? I don't see it.

Also, I have no interest in seeing some dude's blue dick for most of a film.

Seshmeister
03-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Saw it today.

It'd be safe to say if one enjoyed the original graphic comic series, they'd enjoy the movie. I could see if one had never read the comics where problems could arise in following the plot at times, since it jumps around quite a bit in terms of flashbacks, flashforwards and elements of the true historical past altered for the comic reality (i.e. Nixon having been elected as Pres 5 times).

One doesn't read comics so one will be giving this a miss... :)

Vinnie Velvet
03-11-2009, 11:31 AM
I will see it on DVD or most likely rip it off a torrent or something, just to see what the whole fuss was about.

Again, I haven't read the comic book, but from what I have read (as far as the story, political connotations, etc.) is that its a piece of garbage.

I'm so suprised to even see people or that this 'Watchmen' thing even had a following to begin with.

Who watches the Watchmen?? Well, apparently not very many considering that people are walking out of theatres. That may have more to do with how this movie was marketed (Dark Knight, its not, not even Iron Man). Its not a regular superhero flick or serious enough to be a crime-story driven work like Dark Knight.
I have read that the acting is atrocious and the use of music at inappropriate times produced mostly laughter in audiences.

This movie has already bombed.

Golden AWe
03-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Who watches the Watchmen?? Well, apparently not very many considering that people are walking out of theatres. That may have more to do with how this movie was marketed (Dark Knight, its not, not even Iron Man). Its not a regular superhero flick or serious enough to be a crime-story driven work like Dark Knight.
I have read that the acting is atrocious and the use of music at inappropriate times produced mostly laughter in audiences.

Bullshit. All the elements are not serious because the superhero part of it is partly PARODY.

Inappropriate music? Yes, playing Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" over two superheroes banging each other, woman wearing latex boots is dahm inappropriate - AND FUNNY. You'd prefer Michael Bolton? Same goes with the blue dick. Besides, it shown a few times only.

The historical elements and the main plot is serious and sad. Executing a pregnant vietnamese woman? Violent rape? Pedophilia? That part is serious, not the latex clothing.

One doesn't read comics so one will be giving this a miss...

Sesh, I hadn't read it either. Same with Mrs. Goldenawe. Didn't bother either one of us...

Ally_Kat
03-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Sesh, I hadn't read it either. Same with Mrs. Goldenawe. Didn't bother either one of us...

I hadn't read the comic (or comic books in general), and it didn't bother me either. Mr Ally_Kat had read it and enjoyed it. I was still a little miffed at him that he KNEW I was excited about JDM in it and he didn't tell me that he dies (yet again) in the movie. Cruel joke.

Ally_Kat
03-11-2009, 09:19 PM
I will see it on DVD or most likely rip it off a torrent or something, just to see what the whole fuss was about.

Again, I haven't read the comic book, but from what I have read (as far as the story, political connotations, etc.) is that its a piece of garbage.

I'm so suprised to even see people or that this 'Watchmen' thing even had a following to begin with.

Dude, it sounds like you came to the conclusion to hate it from the onset.

Yes, there is music you wouldn't figure they would use in scenes. I'm your Boogieman when the Comedian and the Night Owl are taking care of a riot? Hallelujah during a sex scene (awesomely hilarious, btw)? The fucking Ride of the Valkyries as a giant Dr. Manhattan stomps thru Vietnam? Do you honestly think when they were putting together the movie that they thought playing Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries would be a great serious contribution to that scene? No. It was for the funny.

Whoever is telling you that this is a horrible movie because it is not a "serious" superhero movie or making the comments about the music must have been lost in the theater. This is not Batman. This is not Spiderman. This isn't about catching a bad guy. It takes away the glory of the "superhero". It's about society and power, which, if you think about it, helped bring the rise of the superhero back in the day.

There are a lot of people watching the Watchmen. You can't get near the ticket booth here. I know the $ figures are low because it is a 3 hour movie, thus not as many showings within a night. But I don't think it bombed at all, even with that setback.

Terry
03-11-2009, 09:32 PM
My understanding is it cost $130 mil to make and did about $50-60 mil opening weekend.

Seshmeister
03-12-2009, 05:54 AM
I hadn't read the comic (or comic books in general), and it didn't bother me either. Mr Ally_Kat had read it and enjoyed it. I was still a little miffed at him that he KNEW I was excited about JDM in it and he didn't tell me that he dies (yet again) in the movie. Cruel joke.

Jeez are you one of those girls that sits there giving away the endings to movies? :)

Vinnie Velvet
03-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Bullshit. All the elements are not serious because the superhero part of it is partly PARODY.

Inappropriate music? Yes, playing Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" over two superheroes banging each other, woman wearing latex boots is dahm inappropriate - AND FUNNY. You'd prefer Michael Bolton? Same goes with the blue dick. Besides, it shown a few times only.

The historical elements and the main plot is serious and sad. Executing a pregnant vietnamese woman? Violent rape? Pedophilia? That part is serious, not the latex clothing.

I still think the whole premise is fucking gay and completly overrated. And this is coming from someone who used to read comic books/graphic novels and still does occasionally.

My opinion of the Watchmen is just that---an opinion.

:biggrin:

Vinnie Velvet
03-12-2009, 01:01 PM
My understanding is it cost $130 mil to make and did about $50-60 mil opening weekend.

The movie is a box office failure.
It may please long time fans of the comic book, but it will fail in terms of making a profit.

The bar for it was to at least reach or even break the levels established by Zack Synder's previous film 300.

But its not that close and the drop off was already greater after the first weekend than it was for 300.

The problem, from what I have read, is that it was marketed to the wrong demographic. Those wanting another Nolanesque Dark Knight even a Spider-Man 2 were gravely disapointed. Add to the fact that its running time didn't help but that was mostly due to its pacing, from what I have read.

Vinnie Velvet
03-12-2009, 01:06 PM
LMAO!!!

This is hilarious. The screenwriter is begging people to go see the movie again this weekend:
Watchmen: Watchmen Screenwriter Begs You To See It Again (http://io9.com/5168275/watchmen-screenwriter-begs-you-to-see-it-again)

Matt White
03-12-2009, 03:23 PM
I'll see it at some point....I've heard good things from my peeps that have seen it

Golden AWe
03-12-2009, 05:24 PM
I still think the whole premise is fucking gay and completly overrated. And this is coming from someone who used to read comic books/graphic novels and still does occasionally.

My opinion of the Watchmen is just that---an opinion.

:biggrin:

Naturally...but go see it and then come up with your opinion...it looks good in theatres.

I've read lots of comics too. Not much in the recent years, but did buy the John Byrne/Chris Claremont years of X-Men as one big book...

But about the Watchmen, actually, one of the biggest medias in Finland, their reviewer put it well...for people who don't read comics, if there's one superhero movie you're willing to see, this is the one.

Trailer three: Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXRdlOvLNeo&eurl=http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=watchmen&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:fi:official&client=firefox-a&umiurl=http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/qXRdlOvLNeo/hqdefault.jpg&feature=player_embedded)

Terry
03-12-2009, 09:01 PM
The movie is a box office failure.
It may please long time fans of the comic book, but it will fail in terms of making a profit.

The bar for it was to at least reach or even break the levels established by Zack Synder's previous film 300.

But its not that close and the drop off was already greater after the first weekend than it was for 300.

The problem, from what I have read, is that it was marketed to the wrong demographic. Those wanting another Nolanesque Dark Knight even a Spider-Man 2 were gravely disapointed. Add to the fact that its running time didn't help but that was mostly due to its pacing, from what I have read.

Doubt the movie will fail to make a profit.

Can see the movie making back production costs between the US and International theatrical releases with a fair amount of ease, then doing solid sales with dvd sales and rentals.

Ally_Kat
03-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Jeez are you one of those girls that sits there giving away the endings to movies? :)

Dude, it's the opening scene!

Seshmeister
03-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Ahh forgive my ignorance...

Vinnie Velvet
03-13-2009, 08:39 AM
Naturally...but go see it and then come up with your opinion...it looks good in theatres.

I've read lots of comics too. Not much in the recent years, but did buy the John Byrne/Chris Claremont years of X-Men as one big book...

But about the Watchmen, actually, one of the biggest medias in Finland, their reviewer put it well...for people who don't read comics, if there's one superhero movie you're willing to see, this is the one.

Trailer three: Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXRdlOvLNeo&eurl=http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=watchmen&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:fi:official&client=firefox-a&umiurl=http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/qXRdlOvLNeo/hqdefault.jpg&feature=player_embedded)

Awe, I didn't realize you were a big fan of it. No offense.

I don't know. I saw the graphic novel at a book store recently and was sifting through it.

I just don't find anything appealing in its story and its characters.