PDA

View Full Version : US protests 'harassment' by Chinese vessels

kwame k
03-09-2009, 05:39 PM
WASHINGTON – The Obama administration vowed Monday to keep up military surveillance in waters off China and protested to China about what it called harassment of an American ship doing that work last week. The Pentagon charged that a Chinese intelligence gathering vessel and four others "shadowed and maneuvered dangerously close" to the USNS Impeccable surveillance ship in the South China Sea on Sunday, then threw obstacles in the water as it tried to leave.

In an odd twist, the unarmed Impeccable, which is operated for the Navy by civilian mariners, turned fire hoses on one vessel that came within 50 feet of it. The Chinese crew stripped to their underwear, then closed to within 25 feet.

A Pentagon spokesman called that "immature" and said the Chinese behaved recklessly and in violation of international law.

"We view these as unprofessional maneuvers," spokesman Bryan Whitman said.

The U.S. Navy surveillance ships tow sonar equipment that probes the ocean to gather acoustic data and detect underwater threats. The craft was specifically designed to augment the Navy's anti-submarine capability, although military spokesmen would not be specific about the Impeccable's duties.

The incident came just a week after China and the U.S. resumed military-to-military consultations following a five-month suspension over U.S. arms sales to Taiwan. And it came as Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi was due in Washington to meet with U.S. officials.

In Beijing, Chinese officials did not immediately respond to voicemail messages and e-mail regarding the U.S. allegations.

Pentagon officials said the incident followed "increasingly aggressive" acts by Chinese ships against the Impeccable on Wednesday and Saturday and against the USNS Victorious surveillance ship on Thursday while it operated in the Yellow Sea.

"We're going to continue to operate in those international waters, and we expect the Chinese to observe international law around that," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said.

A protest was lodged with the Chinese government by the U.S. Embassy in Beijing over the weekend and was repeated to a Chinese defense attache by Defense Department East Asia policy officials at a Pentagon meeting Monday.

The Chinese ships included a Chinese Navy intelligence collection ship, a Bureau of Maritime Fisheries Patrol Vessel, a State Oceanographic Administration patrol vessel, and two small Chinese-flagged trawlers, officials said.

The Chinese vessels surrounded the Impeccable, and two got close enough for the crew to see people waving Chinese flags and telling the American ship to leave, the Pentagon said in a statement. Not knowing what the Chinese intended, the Impeccable crew sprayed fire hoses at one ship in self defense, the statement said. "The Chinese crew members disrobed to their underwear and continued closing to within 25 feet," the statement said.

Impeccable crew radioed to tell the Chinese ships that it was leaving the area and requested a safe path to navigate, the Pentagon said.

But shortly afterward, two of the Chinese ships stopped directly ahead of the Impeccable, forcing it to an emergency stop. The Chinese also dropped pieces of wood in the water in front of Impeccable's path.

China views almost the entirety of the South China Sea as its territory. China's claims to small islets in the region have put it at odds with five governments — the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan.

Another Pentagon spokesman, Marine Maj. Stewart Upton, said U.S. Navy ships and aircraft routinely operate in the area and that Chinese ships and aircraft routinely steam or fly nearby. "However, these actions were considerably more aggressive and unprofessional than we have seen."

Pentagon officials said the close encounter followed these other incidents last week:

_On Wednesday, a Chinese Bureau of Fisheries Patrol vessel used a high-intensity spotlight to illuminate the ocean surveillance ship USNS Victorious as it operated in the Yellow Sea, about 125 nautical miles from China's coast, the Pentagon said. The next day, a Chinese Y-12 maritime surveillance aircraft conducted 12 fly-bys of Victorious at an altitude of about 400 feet and a range of 500 yards.

_On Thursday, a Chinese frigate approached USNS Impeccable without warning and crossed its bow at a close range of approximately 100 yards, the Pentagon said. This was followed less than two hours later by a Chinese Y-12 aircraft conducting 11 fly-bys of Impeccable at an altitude of 600 feet and a range from 100-300 feet.

_On Saturday, a Chinese intelligence collection ship challenged USNS Impeccable over bridge-to-bridge radio, calling her operations illegal and directing Impeccable to leave the area or "suffer the consequences."

Sunday's incident near Hainan Island is reminiscent of a much more dramatic foreign policy crisis with China that played out in the same area. The forced landing of a U.S. spy plane and China's seizure of the crew in April 2001 came just four months into President George W. Bush's tenure.

___

Associated Press writers Lolita C. Baldor, Matthew Lee and Anne Gearan contributed to this report.
Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090309/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_china_incident)

kwame k
03-09-2009, 05:40 PM
In an odd twist, the unarmed Impeccable, which is operated for the Navy by civilian mariners, turned fire hoses on one vessel that came within 50 feet of it. The Chinese crew stripped to their underwear, then closed to within 25 feet.

Ok, now those are some fucking strange maneuvers!

Andy Taylor
03-09-2009, 05:47 PM
The US snoops around close to Chinese waters, has bases in Diego Garcia, is ahead in militarising space, 'accidentally' bombs a Chinese embassy and now moans about immaturity and unprofessional manouvers.

Well... to the O'bubba administration:

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7439/justinjf1.jpg

Nickdfresh
03-09-2009, 08:10 PM
The US snoops around close to Chinese waters, has bases in Diego Garcia, is ahead in militarising space, 'accidentally' bombs a Chinese embassy and now moans about immaturity and unprofessional manouvers.

Well... to the O'bubba administration:

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7439/justinjf1.jpg

Just like the Chinese support a regime that starves and murders it's own people, crushes any pluralistic democratic movements, and regularly threatens to destroy Taiwan if its citizens should ever decide to do a horrendous thing such as use their democratic rights to vote for autonomy. And the real reason China is 'offended' by US maneuvers is that they want us to stand by while they murder Taiwan someday..

Fuck the Chinese!

Andy Taylor
03-09-2009, 08:13 PM
I'm all for China and the US taking each other out. The Canadian sea and the Mongolian sea, sounds good to me.

Nickdfresh
03-09-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm all for China and the US taking each other out. The Canadian sea and the Mongolian sea, sounds good to me.

Yay! Death! War.

Like you pussies would last five seconds without us. You can't even tame the Irish...

Va Beach VH Fan
03-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Betcha they wouldn't try that shit with a destroyer or guided missle cruiser....

Andy Taylor
03-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Yay! Death! War.

Like you pussies would last five seconds without us. You can't even tame the Irish...

Liberals just have to be sensitive about everything...

I'm more anti-war than you.

Combat Ready
03-09-2009, 08:35 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VT9QeM2kSf8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VT9QeM2kSf8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

kwame k
03-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Liberals just have to be sensitive about everything...

I'm more anti-war than you.

You're always right about everything!

That's what's wrong with you.:mad0248:

Andy Taylor
03-09-2009, 08:43 PM
I can't help it when I manage to do that. No point in crying 'arrogance' if you don't come armed with much logic.

kwame k
03-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Am I the only fucking one who sees the absurdity in the fact that the Chinese, to counter a counter measure, stripped down to their underwear and taunted an American ship! Now that is sound tactics, right there.

Andy Taylor
03-09-2009, 08:47 PM
And just in case someone says I'm contradicting myself later on I'll say that some cases do justify the use of force. So while I'm not in favour of a complete annihilation I think a full scale invasion of the US is more than justified for all the shit they've given the world for decades.

kwame k
03-09-2009, 08:49 PM
I can't help it when I manage to do that. No point in crying 'arrogance' if you don't come armed with much logic.

Go start a Milli Vanilli thread Mr Wonderful! People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones Andrew.

Combat Ready
03-09-2009, 08:59 PM
And just in case someone says I'm contradicting myself later on I'll say that some cases do justify the use of force. So while I'm not in favour of a complete annihilation I think a full scale invasion of the US is more than justified for all the shit they've given the world for decades.

You could be the first one to storm our beaches. I'd love to see it happen....Tough guy.

Andy Taylor
03-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Go start a Milli Vanilli thread Mr Wonderful! People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones Andrew.

Me thinks you're being a sore loser.

Andy Taylor
03-09-2009, 09:21 PM
You could be the first one to storm our beaches. I'd love to see it happen....Tough guy.

Maybe one day if I find my country being invaded by the yanks I just might.

kwame k
03-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Me thinks you're being a sore loser.

As if you won anything! Mr Elitist

Combat Ready
03-09-2009, 09:25 PM
So while I'm not in favour of a complete annihilation I think a full scale invasion of the US is more than justified for all the shit they've given the world for decades.

Your invading force is quite formidable Andie?

http://rickyday.net/blog/duranduran.jpg

Andy Taylor
03-09-2009, 09:26 PM
I thought we let this argument drop days ago? I never wanted to bring that up again.

Redballjets88
03-09-2009, 10:02 PM

If we are going by that then I guess Europe is due again considering that European countries totally raped all of africa and left it like they did to become a continent of poor and war torn countries.

and if the US goes down the entire Western Hemisphere follows, Without the US to export goods to what else do the other countries on this half of the world do for the majority of their income.

Andy Taylor
03-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Europe sucks too and is going to be an even worse tyrant once all its armies are controlled by Brussels. If the UK caves in like the other EU states, maybe only the commie countries can 'defend' the world.

kwame k
03-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Europe sucks too and is going to be an even worse tyrant once all its armies are controlled by Brussels. If the UK caves in like the other EU states, maybe only the commie countries can 'defend' the world.

Well, why don't you preempt all of that and move to a communist country right now. You'll be safe and they can defend you.........and since they censor the Internet you'll never be able to post here again.

Sounds like a win win to me.;)

Nickdfresh
03-10-2009, 09:38 AM

Like what? You mean stabilizing Europe and giving you the standard of living you enjoy and inventing the internet so you can be a pedophile?

Even sensible anti-American Euros are anti-American because they want American to survive because there is no alternative...

Andy Taylor
03-10-2009, 10:07 AM
I never said I was a Euro.

The best option is to militarize everyone so they can stand up to China. Not saying anything about technology and this whole idea of attacking the US was a hypothetical discussion anyway. The US is as neccessary for the time being anyway as China with their sweat shops that lower costs in the western world.

Nickdfresh
03-10-2009, 02:22 PM
I never said I was a Euro.

Close enough! You're all the same genetic base stock...

The best option is to militarize everyone so they can stand up to China. Not saying anything about technology and this whole idea of attacking the US was a hypothetical discussion anyway. The US is as neccessary for the time being anyway as China with their sweat shops that lower costs in the western world.

The best thing is to retaliate against the Chinese by infiltrating into China our insidious, subversive movements like.....

Um....

You mean????

CHEERLEADERS??
:biggrin:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RCJJqtjpgUw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RCJJqtjpgUw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Andy Taylor
03-10-2009, 02:36 PM
You Americanos are also of mostly Euro stock.

Looks like communist countries are also just about money and in a few hands too.