PDA

View Full Version : VH1 Acquires ANVIL! The Story Of Anvil

Mr Walker
03-11-2009, 03:34 PM
VH1 Acquires ANVIL! The Story Of Anvil; Network To Create Multi-Platform Promotional Campaign In Support Of April 10th Theatrical Release

BraveWords.com has received the following:

VH1 has acquired the exclusive rights for the critically acclaimed documentary ANVIL! The Story of Anvil.

VH1 will handle the television and DVD release and distribute the film theatrically in association with Abramorama. The world television premiere on VH1 this summer and the subsequent DVD release of the film follow a network-wide, multi-platform promotional campaign supporting the theatrical film release April 10, 2009 in New York and Los Angeles followed by a national roll-out.

Anvil! The Story Of Anvil is the directorial debut of screenwriter Sacha Gervasi ("The Terminal") and was produced by Rebecca Yeldham ("The Kite Runner" and "The Motorcycle Diaries"). The film follows Steve "Lips" Kudlow and Robb Reiner and their band, Anvil, which released one of the heaviest albums in metal history, 1982's Metal on Metal. The album influenced an entire musical generation of rock bands, including Metallica, Slayer, and Anthrax, who all went on to sell millions of records. Anvil, on the other hand, took a different path-straight to obscurity. The film is both entertaining and touching as it follows their last-ditch quest for the fame and fortune that has been so elusive to them. Anvil! The Story Of Anvil is a timeless tale of survival and the unadulterated passion it takes to follow your dream, year after year.

Ironically, life is now looking up for the band. After years of playing to empty bars and working dead end jobs, the band is beginning to find the success that evaded them for decades. They have recently been signed by manager Rick Sales (Slayer), US agent Scott Sokol (Megadeth, Heaven and Hell), and UK agent Steve Strange (Coldplay). The band is being welcomed with open arms everywhere they go. Their latest fan, Sarah Brown (wife of the Prime Minister), attended the red carpet premiere of the film in the UK. Now with a U.S. Tour, the support of VH1 and VH1 Classic, a feature documentary, and an immeasurable amount of will and determination, the band is picking up where they left off twenty five years ago.

"When I was sixteen years old Anvil was my favorite band in the world. I couldn't believe it when I met Lips and Robb in London and they invited me to come out on the road with them. Running away to join the rock and roll circus was, of course, an experience I never forgot. When I met the band again twenty years later I was completely awed and inspired to discover that they simply refused to give up on the dream they had had as kids. It makes me intensely happy and proud to see the band finally getting the recognition they so richly deserve. Anvil rocks!" said Sacha Gervasi, director of the film.

Anvil! The Story Of Anvil premiered at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival, where it received acclaim from critics and audiences alike. It went on to win the Audience Awards at the 2008 Los Angeles Film Festival, 2008 Sydney Film Festival, and 2009 Jameson Dublin International Film Festival, as well as the Best Documentary Feature Awards at 2008 Galway Film Fleadh, 2008 Calgary Film Festival, 2008 Edmonton Film Festival, and 2009 Jameson Dublin International Film Festival. The film was also nominated for the Truer Than Fiction Award at the 2009 Film Independent Spirit Awards. The film was released in the UK to critical acclaim on February 20, 2009.

"This film is so much more than a documentary about the roots of metal. It's a story about the power of perseverance and friendship and the passion that drives them," said Tom Calderone, President of VH1. " 'Anvil! The Story of Anvil' has a huge heart and will resonate with all of our viewers. This is the type of project that drew me into the VH1 fold and makes me especially proud to work here."

Praised as "The best documentary I've seen in years," by documentarian Michael Moore, the London Times calls it "Possibly the greatest film yet made about rock and roll;" Anvil! The Story Of Anvil contains appearances by an array of heavy metal icons, including Metallica's Lars Ulrich, former member of Guns N' Roses' Slash, Anthrax's Scott Ian, and Slayer's Tom Araya, among others.

"Sacha knew from the beginning that this was not just a "metal" film. In my first encounter with Anvil, it was impossible not to be moved by their loyalty, determination and mad, blind faith. How sweet it is to see them now ride this tide of success - not just to be heard, finally - but to be heralded for their humbling tenacity and devotion to their art and to each other," said producer Rebecca Yeldham.

VH1 has thrown the full support of the network behind Anvil, the band's music and the film on all platforms. The timing of this support from not only VH1 but from the music and film industry coincides with the realization of Anvil's lifelong dream to "make it."

Timed to the release of the film in April, VH1 Classic will serve as the exclusive presenter for the band's U.S. tour. "VH1 Classic Presents: The Anvil Experience" will cover 7 markets and upcoming dates, venues and ticket information will be available immediately on the film's website anvilmovie.com and vh1classic.com. At each tour stop, the film will be played immediately followed by a short performance by the band.

Tour dates:

April
6 - NY, NY - Blender Theater
12 - San Francisco, CA - Slim's
14 - Seattle, WA - El Corazon
16 - Worcester, MA - The Palladium
17 - Philadelphia, PA - Trocadero
21 - Pontiac, MI - Crofoot Ballroom
22 - Chicago, IL - Metro

Additional elements include:

* In an unprecedented move, for the first time ever the network will run the full length movie trailer of the film like a music video throughout all VH1 video hours - morning, overnights, on VH1 Classic and on vh1.com and vh1classic.com.

* In the weeks leading up to the theatrical release, VH1 will be creating a VH1 News package that will include a new interview with Lips and Robb.

* On vh1.com and vh1classic.com, Robb and Lips will be featured on an episode of the original series "My Playlist" as they discuss their influences and favorite Classic Rock songs.

* VH1 Classic will air an episode of its original talk show "That Metal Show" with Robb and Lips and will center on Anvil's career, music, upcoming tour and the film. This episode will run timed to the film's April theatrical release and will then repeat promoting the film's television premiere on VH1 and the film's availability on DVD.

The DVD release and world television premiere of the film on VH1 and VH1 Classic this summer will be supported by significant on-air promos on VH1 and VH1 Classic and dedicated online promotion on VH1.com. Each telecast will include a customized on-screen graphic supporting the DVD release which will be made available to fans at a later date yet to be announced. Promotional excerpt clips of the film will also be supported and streamed on FVOD, online and wireless.

Anvil! The Story Of Anvil is directed by Sacha Gervasi and produced by Rebecca Yeldham, with cinematography by Chris Soos, editing by Jeff Renfroe and Andrew Dickler, and music supervision by Dana Sano.

Mr Walker
03-11-2009, 03:36 PM
I guess you just never know when your time is gonna come... who'da thunk it?

binnie
03-11-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing this, I've heard it's very good.

chefcraig
03-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Cool, this looks like something a lot of people (and not just musicians) can relate to. :killer:

<object width="500" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DT7v2nUcmek&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DT7v2nUcmek&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="315"></embed></object>

Top Jimmy
03-11-2009, 05:39 PM
so is this like Spinal Tap then?

This isn't for real, right?

Mr. Vengeance
03-11-2009, 06:20 PM
I love Anvil. Being Canadian I could always find their albums, but despite this supposed "new" popularity and rise in their careers, just a few months back they were playing a tiny little bar in Belleville, Ontario, with a small crowd. They are a good metal band, with a small but loyal following, but they will never be a huge name in the music world. I liken them to Diamond Head. A heavy band that influenced tons of other bands that then went on to fame while they never hit it big.

Andy Taylor
03-11-2009, 06:41 PM
These are strange times. For a band known only to metal diehards to get this kind of acclaim. Ofcourse with the mainstream this is a trend to ride them through, somewhat like the Maiden t-shirt phenomena.

Mr. Vengeance
03-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Some very early Anvil. I believe this is from the album Hard n' Heavy.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SQFs6JNzBbg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SQFs6JNzBbg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Vinnie Velvet
03-12-2009, 01:19 PM
METAL ON METAL!!

'nuff said.

Diamondjimi
03-12-2009, 01:53 PM
I grew up with Anvil. As a young Metalhead growing up in Southern Ontario ,these guys have always been Canadian metal legends. Saw them live for the first time @ Massey Hall in Toronto 1982 opening for Iron Maiden. Anvil was touring behind Metal on Metal at the time. They kicked some major ass.
Had the opportunity to witness them many times as well as lift a few brews Lips and Robb Reiner over the years. Great bunch of guys.
Wasn't too keen on their trashy garb they wore for a bit in the late 80's , but they could still crank out the heavy shit.

This movie couldn't happen to a more deserving band. They are/were pioneers in the evolution of Metal. And a damn proud bunch of Canadians.

I hope they get one last big break , hook up on a few major tours and retire wealthy.
They never gave in. They deserve all the recognition and positivity this film can bring them.

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/b33146f40d681c836f8a1d5b7d4ee661/83160.jpg

Anvil-Metal on Metal

Metal on metal
It's what I crave
The louder the better
I'll turn in my grave

Metal on metal
Ears start to bleed
Cranking it up
Fulfilling my need

Metal on metal
Shakin the place
Blows back your hair
Caves in your face

Metal on metal
Feeling the grind
Up go the hammers
A victim to find

Metal on metal
Heads start to bang
Denim and leathers
Chains that clang

Keep on rockin
Keep on rockin
To this metal tonight
Keep on pounding
Keep on pounding
Join the heavy
metal fight

Metal on metal
Gets you so high
Excitement and action
Won't pass you by

Metal on metal
The hardened breed
True to the end
A fire to feed

Metal on metal
Heat starts to rise
Kickin it out
With screams and cries

Metal on metal
Never will die
Parties and concerts
Keep it alive

Metal on metal
It's the only way
To hell with tomorrow
Let's live for today

binnie
03-12-2009, 01:56 PM
You've gotta love 80s metal lyrics - cheesy but classic :D

Mr. Vengeance
03-12-2009, 05:48 PM
I want to bang all the cute Asian girls in the crowd!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_bWhO1sSIVw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_bWhO1sSIVw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Va Beach VH Fan
03-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Here's a better version of the one above at Super Rock '83 in Japan... I actually bought this VHS when I got to Japan in '84....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0hIIV-W4DHI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0hIIV-W4DHI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Va Beach VH Fan
03-19-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm really amazed the publicity this thing is getting...

I mean, Anvil was a metal one-hit wonder, if you would even call "Metal on Metal" a hit...

Then they went away....

Mr. Vengeance
03-19-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm really amazed the publicity this thing is getting...

I mean, Anvil was a metal one-hit wonder, if you would even call "Metal on Metal" a hit...

Then they went away....

Problem is, like many Americans, you think that if they aren't heard of there, they aren't around anywhere. They've continued to make albums and tour, which is the point of the doc.

It could have been any band like Anvil and still been a provocative film.

Diamondjimi
03-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Problem is, like many Americans, you think that if they aren't heard of there, they aren't around anywhere. They've continued to make albums and tour, which is the point of the doc.

It could have been any band like Anvil and still been a provocative film.

Exactly!

Just go to Metal Sludge.com and see a hundred bands that have fallen off the map!;)

Va Beach VH Fan
03-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think it'll be an interesting documentary...

It just came out of the blue....

Mr Walker
03-20-2009, 10:18 AM
From the promos I've seen, I think the focus on the doc is how Steve "Lips" Kudlow and Robb Reiner have stayed committed to each other and the band since they were "14 years old"... there aren't many bands like that at all.

WACF
03-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Sacha Gervasi saw the band in England in the very early 80s.

He got to hang with the band and they treated him good...offered him a job as a roadie.

He came over and roadied for them and had a blast.

Out of the blue he thought about them again and looked them up...he was amazed how they were still trying.

The film is more about the friendship of the two and their determination rather than the band Anvil.

sadaist
03-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Exactly!

Just go to Metal Sludge.com and see a hundred bands that have fallen off the map!;)

Fuck, I just saw Y & T with 50 people last night. Meniketti tore it up.

Maybe more than 50 people, but it was a tiny club that my sisters band has played at before. Can't imagine how much the band gets paid for these types of shows. Seems like it would be hardly enough to cover traveling, hotels, & food.

Diamondjimi
03-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Fuck, I just saw Y & T with 50 people last night. Meniketti tore it up.

Maybe more than 50 people, but it was a tiny club that my sisters band has played at before. Can't imagine how much the band gets paid for these types of shows. Seems like it would be hardly enough to cover traveling, hotels, & food.

Meniketti is a mofo on the guitar. Did they have that big stupid chrome mascot stomping around the club?:biggrin:

PHOENIX
03-30-2009, 07:41 PM
I remember seeing their videos back in the day on Muchmusic. I thought they sucked then and they still do now.

GAR
04-22-2009, 09:11 PM
I really wanna see this movie, growing up in SoCal I have known dozens of "anvils"..

sonrisa salvaje
04-22-2009, 09:22 PM
I remember seeing their videos back in the day on Muchmusic. I thought they sucked then and they still do now.

Who? Anvil or Y&T?