PDA

View Full Version : Palin Wedding Called Off - Strike Another Blow For Family Values

LoungeMachine
03-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Canceled Palin Wedding Becomes a Public Matter

Published: March 12, 2009
It is news at the intersection of politics, sociology and gossip: Gov. Sarah Palin’s teenage daughter Bristol and her boyfriend, Levi Johnston, have called off their engagement, about 10 weeks after the birth of their child.

But it also speaks to the larger question of where the private becomes the public and whether, once the line is crossed, it is possible to go back.

When news broke at the Republican convention last year that Bristol Palin, then 17 and the unmarried daughter of the vice-presidential nominee, was five months pregnant, political handlers moved quickly to limit the damage. Senator John McCain’s presidential campaign persuaded many conventiongoers and Republicans across the country to shrug it off. Life happens, they said. It just showed that Governor Palin could relate in a real way to real families.

The McCain-Palin forces released the news themselves and whisked Mr. Johnston, then 18, from Alaska to the convention in Minnesota. In a series of riveting images on the tarmac, Mr. McCain embraced Ms. Palin and grasped Mr. Johnston’s arm.

The couple was engaged and a wedding was supposedly in the offing — perhaps in the White House. In a culture of “Juno” and Jamie Lynn Spears, teenage pregnancy had already lost some of its stigma.

“That’s the best you can do, turn it into a narrative that tells the American people a positive story,” said Paul Costello, a Democratic consultant who was the spokesman for Kitty Dukakis when her husband, Michael, was the Democratic nominee for president in 1988 and she was battling addiction.

“Unfortunately,” Mr. Costello added, “when the campaign ends, the residue, the collateral damage, can be pretty stark.”

Once the McCain-Palin ticket lost and the spotlight faded, so too, apparently, did the romance. The baby came along at the end of December and a wedding never materialized. Ms. Palin recently made a cheery statement that Mr. Johnston was a “hands-on” dad. But on Wednesday he confirmed to the Associated Press a Star magazine report that he and Ms. Palin mutually decided “a while ago” to call things off. They then moved on to public recriminations, with Ms. Palin issuing a statement suggesting that her former betrothed and his sister had been trying to “cash in” on the Palin name.

From Mrs. Dukakis to Betty Ford, the families of politicians have watched their lives become tabloid fodder; some politicians, from Bill Clinton to former Senators John Edwards of North Carolina and Larry E. Craig of Idaho, have created the fodder themselves. In the past, when a campaign or term in office has ended, the families, at least, have been able to go back to their private lives. But that seems harder now in the 24/7 media culture and will probably be difficult for Ms. Palin, whose mother is still governor of Alaska and has hinted at a future run for national office.

After modern campaigns, Mr. Costello said, “Your narrative is still alive, and your narrative still gets eaten alive.”

There is no way to know how the relationship might have turned out had Governor Palin been elected vice president. As the comedian Tina Fey put it in a parody last year of Governor Palin’s views: “I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers.”

What is clear is that most pregnant teenagers are not married when their children are born. “The tale of Bristol Palin is not rare at all,” said Bill Albert, a spokesman for the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy. He said that fewer than 8 percent of teenage mothers marry the baby’s father within a year. And those who do marry can face a rocky road: teenage marriages are twice as likely to fail as those in which the woman is at least 25.

If Ms. Palin’s out-of-wedlock pregnancy was not exactly a campaign issue last year, some voters questioned Governor Palin as a parent. She had just been introduced to the country as someone with five children, including a baby with Down syndrome; why, they wondered, was she putting herself (and family) through a grueling campaign? Others dismissed the question as sexist.

Alex Castellanos, a Republican media consultant, said polling during the campaign showed that some voters, especially some working mothers, thought the governor was paying too high a personal price for her political ambitions.

“You hope that a political leader can provide stability and direction at home if they would attempt to provide it for the country,” he said.

Mr. Castellanos said Ms. Palin’s pregnancy and breakup might still shape voters’ perceptions if her mother strives for higher office. “There’s a process that defeated leaders go through — you retire to the wilderness, go through introspection and you come back having learned something,” he said. “We’ll see if Sarah Palin has learned anything from this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/13/us/politics/13memo.html?em

Guitar Shark
03-13-2009, 10:59 AM
They then moved on to public recriminations, with Ms. Palin issuing a statement suggesting that her former betrothed and his sister had been trying to “cash in” on the Palin name.

lmfao....

that's some serious coin right there

Nitro Express
03-13-2009, 11:57 AM
At least she didn't have an abortion. That should keep the John Hagee crowd happy still. The kids are fucking each other folks. Some of the unlucky ones get pregnant.

binnie
03-13-2009, 12:07 PM
The kids are fucking each other folks. Some of the unlucky ones get pregnant.

But the smart ones uses contraception. Shit, we all used to mess about as kids, but some of us were smart enough to prepare against the consequences.

What I would say, however, is that there is little point in entering into an unhappy marriage to prove a point.

FORD
03-13-2009, 12:29 PM
It's just too bad they didn't realize they were wrong for each other before they helped expand the wretched Moosealini gene pool.

Bristol will admit on national TV that abstinence teaching isn't realistic, but she can't use a rubber or the pill?

Kristy
03-13-2009, 12:55 PM
At least she didn't have an abortion. That should keep the John Hagee crowd happy still.

The only concern the Hagee crowd have is that the child won't be born a Jew...or Muslim.

FORD
03-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Nah, Hagee loves Israel! Or at least until Jesus comes back. After that, they'll be a bunch of Christ rejecting heathens who are gonna burn in Hell.

Kristy
03-13-2009, 01:10 PM
He might love Israel - but don't think he cares to much for the residents currently living there.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Can't wait to listen to Dingbat's abstinence speech in 2011/12....

"Do as I say, not as my daughter does !!!!"

swage33
03-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Jesus, do none of you have kids? I'll be the first to say that Palin should not have accepted the nomination with this shit going on in her life and, likewise, McCain should not have selected her. Here is a rule of thumb, the world will use your kids against you and your kids will disappoint you from time to time. Some people seem to be amused by this situation....shame on you!

LoungeMachine
03-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Yes, we have kids....

But we don't PREACH to the nation about "family values", mensa....

Get it now?

:rolleyes:

:gulp:

FORD
03-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Jesus, do none of you have kids? I'll be the first to say that Palin should not have accepted the nomination with this shit going on in her life and, likewise, McCain should not have selected her. Here is a rule of thumb, the world will use your kids against you and your kids will disappoint you from time to time. Some people seem to be amused by this situation....shame on you!

The point here isn't whether or not Bristol Palin and Levi Strauss (or whatever the kid's name was) are (or are not) "typical" teenagers. It's that Sarah "Moosealini" Palin was held up as some fictional example of "morals and integrity" by the Republican party and the Republican media, despite the fact that they all knew her family situation, and probably even knew that Levi's mama was a shady character in her own right (and possibly Mush Limpdick's new drug dealer)

kwame k
03-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Gotta give a free pass to the kid, fuck her ultra-right wing mother. This is a kid who got pregnant and choose to keep the kid. Whether or not they get married, it's gonna be a tough road for the kid. Yes, her mom is rich and powerful but at the end of the day a kid is going to be raising a kid. Hey, if it was my daughter I'd rather have her not marry the daddy, (which I think the whole marriage was forced upon them to keep with the Repukes so called standards) and be happy, then get into a marriage that will only lead to ruin. I know that the fact that she got pregnant and decided to keep the baby has nothing to do with my hatred for her mom. Kids makes mistakes and as parents we are there to help them the best we can. Doesn't mean I wouldn't bitch my kid out from hell to high water but at the end of that I'd hug her and tell her I was there for her.

FORD
03-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Yeah, I don't have anything against the kid. Just the right wing hypocrisy in how they reported this. Imagine what they would have done if Chelsea Clinton had been a pregnant teenager in 1996, or if Malia Obama had been older (and preggers) during the 2008 campaign.

kwame k
03-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Yeah, I don't have anything against the kid. Just the right wing hypocrisy in how they reported this. Imagine what they would have done if Chelsea Clinton had been a pregnant teenager in 1996, or if Malia Obama had been older (and preggers) during the 2008 campaign.

That part I agree 100% politicizing it for votes, inexcusable but the reality of the kid having a kid.......my heart goes out to her.

Redballjets88
03-14-2009, 12:10 AM
At least she didn't have an abortion. That should keep the John Hagee crowd happy still. The kids are fucking each other folks. Some of the unlucky ones get pregnant.

replace unlucky with stupid then you're getting somewhere.

With today's technology and medical advancements there is no excuse for unplanned pregnancy anymore.

between birth control pills, condoms, and morning after pills, laziness and stupidity are the only things to blame.

Redballjets88
03-14-2009, 12:14 AM
Sucks to be Levi, he should have held on and maintained til the marriage at least.

One of my life goals is to impregnate an extremely wealthy girl, that way I can live off of it for 30 or so years.

(Lounge, don't respond to this post, it's a joke...)

sadaist
03-14-2009, 01:47 AM
Yes, we have kids....

But we don't PREACH to the nation about "family values", mensa....

Get it now?

:rolleyes:

Just because your soapbox is smaller than Palins' is doesn't mean you don't PREACH.

sadaist
03-14-2009, 01:50 AM
between birth control pills, condoms, and morning after pills, laziness and stupidity are the only things to blame.

Alcohol?

Redballjets88
03-14-2009, 02:28 AM
Alcohol?

*Alcohol

hideyoursheep
03-14-2009, 03:20 AM
Please God, make them go away!

I could give a shit less about the Alaskan royal family!!

LoungeMachine
03-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Sucks to be Levi, he should have held on and maintained til the marriage at least.

One of my life goals is to impregnate an extremely wealthy girl, that way I can live off of it for 30 or so years.

(Lounge, don't respond to this post, it's a joke...)

Joke?

It's the most initiative you've shown in years!!!

Impreganting this girl would mean you'd finally move out of mom's house.

I say Kudo!!!

Now just find one that'll sleep with you....

FORD
03-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Barbie Bush Jr. is still single. And since Chimp & Pickles live in Dallas now, she might be in the area. Go for it, Red Balls! :D

Redballjets88
03-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Barbie Bush Jr. is still single. And since Chimp & Pickles live in Dallas now, she might be in the area. Go for it, Red Balls! :D

Good call, I'll have to add that to the things to do list. And once I'm in the family , Ford, I promise to let you come over sometime and yell at my new father in law.

sadaist
03-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Barbie Bush Jr. is still single.

I always thought of her as the more attractive of the two girls.

FORD
03-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Good call, I'll have to add that to the things to do list. And once I'm in the family , Ford, I promise to let you come over sometime and yell at my new father in law.

That's cool. Just stock up on some good beer - since you'll have access to the BCE credit cards.

And I don't mean that Shiner shit! :gulp:

LoungeMachine
03-14-2009, 03:59 PM
I always thought of her as the more attractive of the two girls.

Oh, hell yeah.

Brighter, too.

She's the most un-Bush like of the clan.

Let's just hope she doesnt follow in her mother's footsteps and kill an ex-boyfriend....

BITEYOASS
03-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Strike another blow for family values?!?! Since when did the RothArmy ever give a flying fuck about family values?

Redballjets88
03-15-2009, 12:03 AM
That's cool. Just stock up on some good beer - since you'll have access to the BCE credit cards.

And I don't mean that Shiner shit! :gulp:

I will drink my shiner shit, you can just write down a list of beers to buy and they will be there...Like you said BCE credit card, what can't I afford?